BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2016 2:49:38 PM EDT
Looking at getting a new sling. A friend recommended a Blue Line Gear Vickers VCAS sling.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Force-Gear-Vickers-Combat/dp/B00757FJYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458413325&sr=8-2&keywords=vickers+vcas+sling

Is that a good sling?

If not, what sling do you recommend?

If so, where's a good place to get the best price on it?

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you are started where a good number of folks would say is about the best you can get.

VCAS Slings by Blue Force Gear are fantastic slings - I have them on all my go to rifles.
You can choose padded or unpadded, can choose plastic or metal hardware, can add sling parts (hooks of QD swivels) to match your need.
They adjust quickly with the pull tab, have good heavy stitching, lots of adjustment range - I really can't say anything bad about them.

The best price is most likely what you get on their website.
Blue Force Gear
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Padded VTAC MK2.

Buy through amazon directly from VTAC.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking at getting a new sling. A friend recommended a Blue Line Gear Vickers VCAS sling.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Force-Gear-Vickers-Combat/dp/B00757FJYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458413325&sr=8-2&keywords=vickers+vcas+sling

Is that a good sling?

View Quote

Love that sling. I have had the same one for a few years. Used heavily in my last job and in my latest job for a couple years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Love that sling. I have had the same one for a few years. Used heavily in my last job and in my latest job for a couple years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a good sling?

Those have been very good to me as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer unpadded but either way:  BFG/Vickers.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned above the blue force gear vcas are great. I also use the larue padded slings as well. Pretty similar. The larue come with qd sling swivels so account for that since they cost a lil extra. Good qd sling swivels cost $10-15/ea and above FYI. Yes there is a difference in qd sling swivels.

You just missed out on the blue force slings being buy one get one free
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Quoted:[/b

View Quote

That was a good deal, needless to say I got two.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at the Vickers 221
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
One point or two point sling?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I think 2 point.

Some say the padded VCAS isn't as good for short people because the padding doesn't allow you as much adjustment and to go with the plain VCAS. Is that true?
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the Vickers 221 sling is the way to go. It goes from 2 to 1 pretty quickly.

Now, padded or not?

More research........
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#13]
For my heavier 18", I use Vickers padded.  For my lightweights, I use Proctor Way of the Gun.  I dont bother with single points.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think 2 point.

Some say the padded VCAS isn't as good for short people because the padding doesn't allow you as much adjustment and to go with the plain VCAS. Is that true?
View Quote

The padded one is definitely longer. I'm 5' 9" and I prefer the unpadded.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think 2 point.

View Quote

I'm 5'5", have both padded and unpadded VCAS, you can adjust either short enough imo. I adjust mine really short, So it's tight when cinched down with rifle on my back, cut extra length that is hanging off and use a lighter to melt the cut ends. I prefer the unpadded personally.

I hate the vtac slings, they are great quality, but I hate the interface. Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Here's my Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS padded 2 point sling which I use on my heavy carbine with midlength gas system 16" barrel and LaRue Tactical 9 inch free floating rails.

The padded VCAS is actually more longer in total length than the non padded standard model, I'm 5' 8" and I wore my heavy winter coat with my chest rig and I still cut off 4 inch of webbing two places, from the front and rear ends.

I use my Vickers non padded VCAS on my lighter weight M4 carbine with 16" barrel, but if I have to carry it all day long I would use my padded VCAS sling.

Be aware that the Vickers VCAS have both the polymer slider adjuster and the metal slider adjuster, I prefer the metal adjuster for SHTF but the polymer adjuster are fine for training and carbine classes.

VCAS slings are in use with the US military and had been battle proven good to go.

They also have the Burnsed Socket which you attach near the back end of the sling then you could mount your front end of the sling with heavy duty push button sling swivel on the socket and convert it to a single point sling.

The Burnsed Socket is mounted near the rear end of the sling, it is also better if you have a QD mount at the lower receiver end plate.

If you have more questions about Blue Force Gear they have a forum in the Industry section, link below.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/502_Blue_Force_Gear.html

To see all the Blue Force Gear Vickers different model VCAS sling the link of their site is below.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/

Quoted:
I think 2 point.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think 2 point.

View Quote

I am 5'6", and have no problems with the stock padded BF Vickers, without adjusting it from the stock set up.  If you were shorter than me, you might adjust the "hang" just a little and I think that you would be fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
i just got a padded vickers 221 sling. Super nice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As mentioned above the blue force gear vcas are great. I also use the larue padded slings as well. Pretty similar. The larue come with qd sling swivels so account for that since they cost a lil extra. Good qd sling swivels cost $10-15/ea and above FYI. Yes there is a difference in qd sling swivels.

View Quote

Yeah, I got two and am really liking them.  A lot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anybody know if these are even available anymore?
I've got a badass, black, padded BFG/VCAS sling with two stitched in QD connectors. I bought it like 4-5 years ago. Seems while I can still accomplish the dual QD thing with a new VCAS, they wouldn't be stitched in.
I love that sling but could literally use about 6 more of them. I've bought all of Magpuls latest MS3s/4s and they're definitely not the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#21]
BOOM! Found it! This is different than the slings currently listed on the VCAS / BFG site. It's lo-pro without a ton of buckles and crap on it. Great slings!

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1292-blue-force-gear-vickers-padded-push-button-sling.aspx

Dang, almost looks like it's discontinued, I better grab em now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BOOM! Found it! This is different than the slings currently listed on the VCAS / BFG site. It's lo-pro without a ton of buckles and crap on it. Great slings!

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1292-blue-force-gear-vickers-padded-push-button-sling.aspx

Dang, almost looks like it's discontinued, I better grab em now.
View Quote

you can take off the extra buckles.  They are there if you want use the sling through a sling slot on a stock.  I just got one and removed two of them without issue.  
I also bought QD swivels from damage industries, but they have them on Blue force gear site as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess you guys are just seeking comfortable carry strap type slings.  If you want a shooting tight sling, the properties are different.  For that purpose consider the leather, one hand adjustable Brownells Latigo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#24]
An adjustable 2-point sling is what most here are speaking of.

I like the Vickers VCAS but the Vikings VTAC is good as well.
Wilderness used to make one that folks liked because it was a little cheaper but I've never used one myself.

VCAS gets my vote.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#25]
VCAS rocks. Like it better than the various Magpul offerings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Just ordered a 211 to try out as well. Pricey slings!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I voted for the VCAS as well but I recently picked up a Magpul MS1 and I have to say I didn't hate it. I find the VCAS pretty stiff where the MS1 seems to do the same thing with a more supple fabric. I'd probably buy another one before a VCAS.

That and I soured on Larry Vickers -- whom I presume gets a cut -- after that FireClean thing...
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I use the Blackhawk 3 point tactical sling it allows for front, side and shoulder carry.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I voted for the VCAS as well but I recently picked up a Magpul MS1 and I have to say I didn't hate it. I find the VCAS pretty stiff where the MS1 seems to do the same thing with a more supple fabric. I'd probably buy another one before a VCAS.

That and I soured on Larry Vickers -- whom I presume gets a cut -- after that FireClean thing...
View Quote

Agreed. I think that the MS1 has more length than the VCAS on the quick-adjust end, as well. That being said, I do think that the MS1 could be improved by a VCAS-style pull tab on the adjuster.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed. I think that the MS1 has more length than the VCAS on the quick-adjust end, as well. That being said, I do think that the MS1 could be improved by a VCAS-style pull tab on the adjuster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with that 100%. It's the one thing I didn't like on the MS1.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been a VCAS or VTAC user most of my time. But I just picked up an MS4 on a whim to try and I'm liking it thus far. Little pricey compared to the VCAS but you're getting good QD ends and a solid metal ambi single point hub.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Tactical Link slings...

I run one of their bungee single point slings and have not found a better single point sling than theirs. They have other options as well.

Highly recommend you take a look. Made in the USA too
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#33]
While there are other good slings on the market, I don't think you can go wrong with the VCAS. I have 3 of them (2 padded and one unpadded) and I love them. As for the comment that the padded one doesn't work well for shorter people, I'm not sure why that might be, as I'm 5'1" and I actually prefer the padded version by a small margin.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]
How often does the buy one get one come up?   Often or are they pretty infrequent?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We use a patented nylon weave on the Magpul slings that allows flexibility while keeping velcro snagging to a minimum (an issue with some of the softer nylon webbing) and also keeping good IR properties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use a patented nylon weave on the Magpul slings that allows flexibility while keeping velcro snagging to a minimum (an issue with some of the softer nylon webbing) and also keeping good IR properties.

Since my initial post I've put quite a bit of range time with my AR that has the MS1. I'm now an unabashed fan of the sling.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For the padded MS1 we are the only company to seamlessly integrate the pad into the sling itself by using custom variable width tubular webbing (not slid or sewn on). The MS1 can be converted to an MS4 or MS3 (1 to 2 point sling) with a additional piece.
View Quote

Patented weave?  How interesting!  What patent number applies to this?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Padded VCAS all the way.  

Not mandatory, but get 'em with the integrated / sewn-in QD ends.  

They used to sell 'em that way from the factory, now IIRC, you have to call to get them to do it for you custom (free) if you get it from Blue Force Gear directly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone ever use these?
http://www.savvysniper.com/dualquadqdms.html
They look nice.....
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]
FWIW...

I had the VTAC on my rifle for almost a year. Good sling, but I found it very fiddly. Take the rifle off your body and put it in a corner and you're untwisting the sling before you put it back on. With the metal hardware it just felt odd to me. It never just hung on the rifle like a normal sling on any other rifle.

That said, I got a VCAS padded for my recce rifle because the gun's heavy. The VCAS is significantly heavier material than the VTAC.

My advice is if your rifle is light enough (under 8lbs should do) go with the Procter sling. Simple, loosens and tightens like the VTAC/VCAS but without all the fiddly paracord bits and big metal sliders, etc. Your mission may require that but most of us frankly don't need it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#42]
great sling I would get the padded version, but you will be very happy with this sling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is that a good sling?

View Quote

IMHO Vickers VCAS is the best sling on the market.
Solid second place is still the VTAC MkI, which I used and swore by for years until I tried the VCAS
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#44]
FWIW I have 3 slings. Savvy Sniper quad sling, VTAC padded, and VCAS padded.

The SS is a nice sling, but its a little on the long side and it is not possible to adjust the total length as short as I would want it. The one I have is several years old and they may have changed things since then. The rounded bungee tends to dig if it's on a heavier weapon. I have this on a SBR PCC and it works fine for that.

The VTAC sling works ok, but releasing it once it is cinched up is a real pain in the ass, you have to reach your arm back in a very awkward way. The webbing also feels cheap and thin in comparison to the other slings.

Vickers VCAS is my favorite of the three. Easy to cinch and release, sturdy webbing and hardware. Good range of adjustment.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#45]
BFG Vickers. Industry standard, works very well on AR's and a number of other platforms. Not so much for AK's, at least in my opinion.

Magpul MS1. I like their webbing and quick-adjuster better than the Vickers. About the same price as the Vickers.

Proctor Way of the Gun. Simple, durable, inexpensive. Huge adjustment range. Only problem I have with it is that it's 1 inch webbing. $30

Russian two-point mustard sling. It just plain works. Webbing is a bit stiff. Depending on where you look, you can find these anywhere from $15 to $50.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I have Magoul slings. While I like them I find myself wondering if the padded slings would be better.

What I will suggest, If you're running a plate carrier or chest rig, is to get one of those sling catches so it doesn't dig into your neck. Probably one of the best purchases I did for my set up. I love the fact that the sling doesn't dig into my neck at all anymore. Keep in mind the one I got won't work well with a padded sling. Damn I wish I could remember the name of it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I have VCAS, VTAC and MS1, all padded.  I have the most time in with the VCAS and it is a solid offering, recently got the MS1 and it too is very nice and has me leaning more to it the more I use it, the VTAC is being left behind in the recesses of the safe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tactical Link slings...

I run one of their bungee single point slings and have not found a better single point sling than theirs. They have other options as well.

Highly recommend you take a look. Made in the USA too
View Quote

Single point and bungee. Can't recommend against this enough.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Look at the Vickers 221
View Quote

This, unpadded, sewn in qd, RED up front. I have regular Vickers padded and understanding padded and 221 with and without RED.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I guess you guys are just seeking comfortable carry strap type slings.  If you want a shooting tight sling, the properties are different.  For that purpose consider the leather, one hand adjustable Brownells Latigo.
View Quote

Negative they are discussing tactical slings for real world use, not 1950s game slings with features noone will ever use like arm cuffs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top