BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/16/2017 6:17:31 PM EDT
Hello All,

Looking to get a Red Dot Sight for my patrol rifle that I carry on duty. I have narrowed it down to a couple of different optics in the $500 price range, but have no first hand experience with any of them.

Below are the options I am considering:
-Trijicon MRO
-Aimpoint PRO
- Vortex UH-1
-Eotech XPS-2

I have no plans on running a magnifier as I do not intend to shoot past 100 yards on a regular basis. Must be reliable, fast on target, and hold zero!

Thanks all
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
While I'm not a LEO or military I've been very satisfied with my PRO in a LaRue mount.  It's on the rifle I'd most likely grab if the proverbial shit hit the fan and could only take one.  It's gone through some classes, been dropped and been taken on and off a bunch of times and it has retained zero.  

The LT129 mount has a space for a spare battery so you have 6 years of battery life on board.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of people around here like the Meprolight RDS. I'd recommend you throw that one in your pool as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned numerous Trijicons, Aimpoints, Eotechs, Meprolights, etc over the years.
Of the ones you have listed, I'd go w/the MRO first followed by the Pro.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
MRO of those choices.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of people around here like the Meprolight RDS. I'd recommend you throw that one in your pool as well.
View Quote

Have 2, like them...but wouldn't pay what Mako is asking for them now (> $400) when I could buy an Aimpoint for less.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Go look (first hand) at the MRO and the PRO. Pick which one you like best, add a LaRue mount and you'll be GTG
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go pro from that list. I would avoid the eotech.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint PRO is the best thing to happen to a patrol rifle program since the 6920.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Again I'll preface this by saying I'm not n LEO or military but I see a few things with the MRO that I have reservations about.  

First is just how new it is.  Second is the exposed windage and elevation adjustments.  Last is the mounting interface is only 4 screws compared to the aimpoint micros that have a recoil lug in addition to the screws.

Eotech will never find their way on any of my rifles.  The Vortex is even newer than the Trijicon and while the warranty is second to none, a warranty doesn't help if that unproven optics fails when it really matters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd spend the extra couple hundred dollars and get an Aimpoint T2.  

For $500 you can get a Sig Sauer ROMEO4M.  The FBI just picked this sight for their agency issued patrol rifles.  It is also approved for FBI agents who use their own ARs...of course the Aimpoint T2 is an approved optic as well
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hello All,

Looking to get a Red Dot Sight for my patrol rifle that I carry on duty. I have narrowed it down to a couple of different optics in the $500 price range, but have no first hand experience with any of them.

Below are the options I am considering:
-Trijicon MRO
-Aimpoint PRO
- Vortex UH-1
-Eotech XPS-2

I have no plans on running a magnifier as I do not intend to shoot past 100 yards on a regular basis. Must be reliable, fast on target, and hold zero!

Thanks all
View Quote

Eotech  nope
MRO hasn't been thoroughly tested
Vortex UH-1 not even out to dealers yet
Aimpoint Pro (out of your list your smartest option)
M4s Comp you might want to look at
T-1 or T-2
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#12]
DI optical RV1.

Mil Std tested, $225 bucks of brick shithouse.

I have its more advanced brother here in my hand as well.

The EG1

I have a video of the EG1 coming up that is nothing but abuse and water torture. I am going to take it back to the dip and torture one last time before I submit a final review, but this company's products are gaining absolute confidence from me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm partial to Aimpoint.  My UPR (Urban Patrol Rifle) has an M2 in a LT150 mount.  Rock solid unit, never fails and keeps a zero.  I'd absolutely go with the PRO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Due to cheapos buying shitty optics, the Sheriff's range officer doesn't approve chi com optics or no-name brand optics anymore.

AimPoint PRO is king, Vortex is second, MRO is catching up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go PRO from those options and a T2 if you're potentially considering something outside that list
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're in charge of setting up your own duty rifle, you're also responsible for what goes on there, and hold liability if you select inferior equipment.  I'd take a VERY hard look at what the LE/Military standards are for duty optics and take that as a hint on which way to go.

That said, I think you'll be well served by Aimpoint (T-1, PRO, M2/3/4 all in good mounts), followed by Eotech (acknowledging known issues of thermal shift which which may be a problem if the rifle is stored in a 120 degree patrol car trunk all day, as well as battery life), then Trijicon MRO (acknowledging the relative newness of the optic).  

After those big three, I'd look at options like the Vortex AUG UH-1.  I put this pretty low as it has not been tested in operational environments yet.  The price is right, the capabilities seem right, but there hasn't been anything proven yet.  

I know you said that you don't plan on taking shots past 100 yards, but you still may want to consider a low power variable optic such as the Steiner T5Xi 1-5 or Vortex Razor II 1-6.  There are several officers I know who use those optics, they've been operationally proven, and don't give up much if anything to 1x optics.  What they DO give you is some versatility.  At 100 yards, a variable optic will help you see just that little bit better if you need to take a low percentage shot, or lets you closely observe hand activity that would be otherwise hard to determine at 1x at 100 yards.  It doesn't let you shoot better at distance, it lets you SEE better at distance, which is a huge factor for police, IMHO.

Just some thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I used an Eotech for 5 years at work, but got tired of changing and checking the batteries all the time, I was using a 552, the AA battery model.  I was using an Aimpoint M2 at home on my personal rifles, and about 5 years ago switched from the Eotech to the Aimpoint at work.  I see no reason to leave the aimpoint, unless it was to go to an Acog, but that would be outside your price range.
A buddy recently got the Trijicon MRO for Christmas from his wife, I haven't had the chance to shoot with it, but just in examining it and checking it out, I would happily switch to the MRO over the Aimpoint as the field of view feels bigger, it seems easier to use, and is a little lighter in weight as well.  And we know Trijicon doesn't make junk, so even though it's fairly new, they will take care of you over time.
So I'd go with the Pro or the MRO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I was looking at some info about the MRO and I swear this must've been a typo but it said the MRO was only 4.1 ounces.  Could that be true???  If that's true it's more than just a little bit lighter.  It's LOT lighter than a PRO and more like a T-1.  Which I would also throw in the mix if I were you OP.

What is the big difference the h-1 and T-1???  NV settings?

MRO is only 4.1 ounces.  A QRP and QRP2 mount weigh more than that

My PRO in a QRP mount is just under 12 ounces.  Which to me is the biggest "issue" with it.  If there was one.  Otherwise the quality and durability is hard to overlook.  The MRO battery life might be a bit longer than a PRO but same as a ML2.  I'm guessing?  The MRO brochure doesn't say hours, just says 5 years on 3.  25 days on 6.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]
T-1 and MRO are VERY similar in weight and overall size.

Differences between the T-1 and H-1 are levels of water resistance and I THINK night vision settings.  I've been reading more and more police going to NV for various uses, and think that's a good thing.  Might be a good idea to go with a NV capable optic as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
DI optical RV1.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/red-dot-sight-DI-Optical-Rv1-590x443.

The EG1

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Di-Optical-Red-dot-sight-eg1

I have a video of the EG1 coming up that is nothing but abuse and water torture. I am going to take it back to the dip and torture one last time before I submit a final review, but this company's products are gaining absolute confidence from me.
View Quote

I just picked up an RV1, it is robust ! You could hammer in nails with it . It's a little heavy at about 14oz but I didn't really notice the weight over the aimpoint comp it replaced . Battlefield Vegas?  has one on the line and last I read was going strong . I'm taking it out to the range tomorrow but so far I like it a lot especially for the price, 20,000 hrs from a common AA . I may have to get a few more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I appreciate the responses thus far! As for the DI optical red dots, I would be inclined to go with one of those if it was for more of a range/ home defense weapon as opposed to a Duty rifle. Want something a little more proven

I like the FOV with the Eotech/UH-1 . My concerns with the Eotech include the thermal shift and battery life. I know the UH-1 isn't out yet, but with 1500hrs, warranty, similar reticle and large FOV are why I added it to the list. Obviously it has yet to be proven reliable.

I have been looking hard at the MRO w/ an ADM mount. FOV seems good with the 25mm obj. Lens, good battery life and seems rugged. Have heard the slight magnification is more noticeable than the Aimpoints?
As for the PRO, it is still a contender since it is a proven optic, has Good battery life, and the 30mm lenses should still provide a good FOV.

I have looked into the Aimpoint Micros and CompM4. While they seem like good choices, I am really wishing to stay near the $500 budget. Reason being is my Dept. Has an allowance of $500 that I can use for an optic. Anything more than that will be out of pocket. Doing a little bit a shopping I have come up with the following prices for NEW optics:
-MRO w/ ADM mount = $450
-PRO with standard mount - $400 / with ADM Mount = $475
-UH-1 = around $450 (optics planet w/ coupon)
-Eotech = $450
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Aimpoint Pro by far on a duty rifle with your options.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DI optical RV1.

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/red-dot-sight-DI-Optical-Rv1-590x443.

The EG1

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Di-Optical-Red-dot-sight-eg1

View Quote

I'll second the DI Optical Raven 1, it's what's on my work rifle. Uses AA batteries and has a LOOOONG life. Easily on par with the PRO (I replaced my PRO with a Raven RV1 on an ARMS #17 QD mount). No worries.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I appreciate the responses thus far! As for the DI optical red dots, I would be inclined to go with one of those if it was for more of a range/ home defense weapon as opposed to a Duty rifle. Want something a little more proven

I like the FOV with the Eotech/UH-1 . My concerns with the Eotech include the thermal shift and battery life. I know the UH-1 isn't out yet, but with 1500hrs, warranty, similar reticle and large FOV are why I added it to the list. Obviously it has yet to be proven reliable.

I have been looking hard at the MRO w/ an ADM mount. FOV seems good with the 25mm obj. Lens, good battery life and seems rugged. Have heard the slight magnification is more noticeable than the Aimpoints?
As for the PRO, it is still a contender since it is a proven optic, has Good battery life, and the 30mm lenses should still provide a good FOV.

I have looked into the Aimpoint Micros and CompM4. While they seem like good choices, I am really wishing to stay near the $500 budget. Reason being is my Dept. Has an allowance of $500 that I can use for an optic. Anything more than that will be out of pocket. Doing a little bit a shopping I have come up with the following prices for NEW optics:
-MRO w/ ADM mount = $450
-PRO with standard mount - $400 / with ADM Mount = $475
-UH-1 = around $450 (optics planet w/ coupon)
-Eotech = $450
View Quote

Dude, the RV1 and RV2 are issue sights for the South Korean military. DI Optics also makes those super-cool red dots you see on US military machine guns.

Attachment Attached File

DI Optical DLC120 sight
NSN # : 1005-01-626-1714
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Having owned 3 of the 4 scopes you listed I would recommend the MRO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]
PM out regarding costs.

Still recommend Aimpoint, Eotech, MO in no particular order, understanding the positives and negatives of each optic.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Vortex isn't even out yet
Eotech I like the reticle but some guys will talk about the drift
MRO slight magnification but it's bright and it's got a good field of view
PRO it's a good optic. Aimpoints are durable and they hold up to just about anything.  (airborne ops are rough on them)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I went with the PRO. I could not be happier.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Good choice
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I go with the PRO
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I have 20 year Aimpoints, still work perfectly, except for battery replacements every few years. I would get the PRO, if night vision isn't important then the ACO if you want to save money.

The Aimpoints can't be beat for a rifle that sits around until you really need it.

My Aimpoints maintaince is on New Years Day I replace all the batteries whether it needs them or not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Currently running an EXPS3-2 on my weapon in Afghanistan and have zero complaints. Have banged the optic around several times in the rough terrain and still holds a zero. Battery life is good to go so far.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Was able to make it to my local Cabelas this weekend and take a look at the PRO, MRO, and Eotech.

Liked the FOV of the Eotech, to my eye the image of the reticle was not very clear. By this I mean the reticle appeared as a lot of small dots to make up the reticle which seemed to blend together between then outer ring and center dot. Maybe if it was mounted on the rifle it would have been different? Or maybe its just my eyes

With that said, I feel it is really going to come down to the MRO and PRO.

I liked the graduation on the brightness settings on the MRO slightly more over the PRO.,
the dot was clean and crisp (as was the PROs) the FOV seemed just as good on the MRO as the PRO.
The slight blue tint of the MRO did not bother me a bit, although the PRO was definitely more clear.
I did not notice the slight magnification on the MRO.
FOV seemed comparable between the MRO and PRO. Honestly I could not tell which had the larger FOV when comparing them.

And with the pricing being comparable I think this could be a tough choice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I have two Aimpoint M3s. Love them.

I just bought an MRO, I love it more!

The included mount for either the MRO or PRO is fine if you are going to mount it and keep it on there. If you want to switch out for a scope or thermal, then get a LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Hard to go wrong either way OP.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#36]
MRO I run them on 3 rifles I use on duty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Not a LEO but a Medic for our SWAT team, they just switched from the Eotech to the Aimpoint PRO after playing with a few other options and have all been pleased.

I had been planning on getting the MRO for my personal rifle but found a T1 for a steal and went that way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Doesn't Ohio experience a wide fluctuation in temperatures throughout the year?  I have zero experience with the MRO, but it may be wise to call Trijicon and see what the operating temperature range is... they don't list it on their site, and some red dots (usually cheaper ones) fail at low temperatures.  Again, I have zero experience with the MRO, so I don't know the answer.

Aimpoint lists the operating temperatures of the PRO to be -49F to 160F. Lot's of specs here: http://us.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-pro/
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Based on your list, I'd go PRO. FWIW, I run a T2 in a KDG Sidelok mount on my duty rifle. If my department gave me a $500 allowance, I'd have absolutely no reservations kicking in an extra couple hundred for another T2.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#40]
We have both M68s at work, both M2 and M4s versions that have replaced the EOTechs.

The Trijicon MRO is now being issued to at least some SF units at Ft Bragg. I don't know if these is going to be SOCOM wide or an individual unit purchase.

I would go with the PRO or MRO.

The Vortex is a rebranded Chinese optic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Aimpoint PRO is the best thing to happen to a patrol rifle program since the 6920.
View Quote

Absolutely completely 100% correct.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#42]
My choice for duty grade "failure is not an option" home defense, is the Leupold Deltapoint Pro.  Screen is much wider than T-1 size red dots, no knobs or other obstructions to peripheral vision around the optic.  Motion-activated.  Well armored with spring steel.  Only 1.9 ounces, about 4.5 with riser and mount, about 4.9 with riser and QD mount as pictured here.  I run the 7.5 MOA triangle version.  Very quick on target, yet has a very fine point for accurate slow fire shot placement.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Vortex is a rebranded Chinese optic.
View Quote

No.

The Vortex UH1 AMG is MADE IN AMERICA almost completely from AMERICAN COMPONENTS (the lone exception is the reticle portion).

Click "more" and then "Q&A". It's about 1/2 way down the page.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Ok. I stand corrected. Every other product they sell is Chinese so I assumed this was as well.

I would still go with the PRO or MRO over a new optic that is not in widespread use anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#45]
OP is the $500 range YOUR $ or from the department?

If it's departmental, I agree with those that said kick in the extra $ for a T2.

If it isn't, MRO or Pro. Hard to go wrong either way.

Don't forget that a lot of these companies offer good discounts for LEO. Some retail companies (and mount companies) also offer discounts to LEO. A call to those guys will never hurt. You might get a T1 and a mount in a bundle right around that price if you call LaRue/Geissele/MidWest and discuss it with them. If the Deparment only authorizes a $500 charge (say on a department CC) the companies will often charge the $500 to that CC and the remainder to your card.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok. I stand corrected. Every other product they sell is Chinese so I assumed this was as well.

I would still go with the PRO or MRO over a new optic that is not in widespread use anywhere.
View Quote

I agree that choosing a proven optic is the better choice.

You're wrong again about Vortex. They have an entire line that is US MADE from US made parts (AMG line). There is at least 1 SMU (SOCOM) that has a Vortex (1-6 Razor HDII) on their rifles.

Vortex has entire lines that are made in Japan with Japanese glass (I believe many other high end scope companies like Leupold and Nightforce do the same). I believe some lines are made in the Philippines. Some lines ARE made in China, but even those are made to differing levels of quality depending on the spec requested by Vortex (ie, midlevel to budget). Furthermore, ALL are covered by Vortex's incredible "VIP warranty". No matter what happened to the optic, they'll fix it or replace it.

And if you're wondering, I don't own a single Vortex optic and I have no affiliation with Vortex (sales or otherwise).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#47]
One last suggestion, MePro RDS Pro

20% off code GW20

Lots of people like this sight. Huge window, 2 MOA dot.

The worst part is who you have to buy it from.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

20% off code GW20
View Quote

There is a reason that Mako was removed from this site as a sponsor.  I won't buy anything that requires me to have contact with them including Meprolight products anymore.

OP: I sent you a link for a T2 deal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll second the value of a magnifier/LPV for threat assessment.  I know of one person who is alive by a gnat's ass because a friend had a 3x in a flip mount behind his Aimpoint.  He was holding a silver pen, not the silver pistol reported.  Probably had a death wish, but saved my friend a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There is a reason that Mako was removed from this site as a sponsor.  I won't buy anything that requires me to have contact with them including Meprolight products anymore.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20% off code GW20

Yeah, I meant to include that. Mako did lots of ARFCOMMERS wrong. I cannot blame people for passing on MePro due to MAKO. Other companies do sell MePro sights though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top