Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:21:49 AM EDT
I am trying to figure out an optic for my AR. Its a 16" barrel, so it just falls in the RECCE category. I have been crossed between buying a red dot like an AimPoint or one from Primary Arms or a scope. I was looking at a Vortex Crossifre II or Diamondback, something low power, something like 1-4\6x would be preferred. This is my only AR, so its technically my fighting rifle at the moment. I want to be doing all types of shooting, from carbine courses and CQB to reaching out. I have plans for an SBR\Pistol and a 14.5 but as of this moment lack the funds.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Diamondback glass is WAY better than Crossfire II, if you are going Vortex.  What is your budget?   If you are going to be shooting inside of 300 yards, you do not really need tactical turrets and reticles.  A 50 yard zero will give you point and shoot, (point blank range) out almost to 300.

By eliminating tactical features you can get much better optical lens quality for the same price.  Everything adds up.  Cut out what you don't need and get better quality for what you do need at the same price point.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If this is your fighting rifle get an Aimpoint Pro

If you want a scope that can do double duty reliably you need to spend some cash...imo

Personally I would rather take that case and set up two rifles with a red dot on an SBR and a moderately high end 1-6X on a rifle with a 16" barrel.

On a 20" hunting rifle I like the VXR 2-7.....

My next scope I think is going to be the ACOG with the Primary Arms reticle and it will go on my 16" BCM ELW

I will use it on the farm with 42 acres butted up against another 1000 acres of hardwoods & brush....its hilly and I have a
good walk up hills and need a lighter wt set up for a walking varmint rig so for my needs the ACOG is an ok to pretty good choice...

If I were forced into it and could only have one rifle and one scope....on a budget....for me that would be my BCM ELW 16" and
a Leupy VXR with capped turrets and a #4 reticle....this gives me a nice red dot that is daylight visible....its pretty good in the rugged
scope dept and if the dod goes Tango Uniform the #4 crosshair is good to go in low light.

A good mount for your scope is important so you don't want to scrimp there.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I really wanted to stay around $300. The red dot from PA, is about 260 with mount, so if i can get that, i wanted to see what other options I have in the same ballpark.

I have heard many many many good things about PA red dots and scopes.

I was thinking I might want the ability to range out a little bit but at the moment, it would be a range\class gun and everything would be within 300. So point and shoot would apply with a 50yd zero. This is seriously a very hard decision.

I would absolutely love to get another build going, but time and money, along with a form 1 arent exactly in the cards just yet.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top