Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/20/2014 2:07:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Can we get some 1x and 4x reticle comparisons?
Japanese made?

Looks like a smaller version of the 3-15, is it the same glass and build quality as the 3-15?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can we get some 1x and 4x reticle comparisons?Japanese made?
Looks like a smaller version of the 3-15, is it the same glass and build quality as the 3-15?
View Quote

Yes please! This is super tempting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
FFP or SFP?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FFP or SFP?
View Quote

It says SFP...

SWFA makes yet another winner!!!  Outstanding looking optic for that price range!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Might get this instead of the vortex viper!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the size of the center dot? 1 MOA? 2 MOA? Didn't see it listed anywhere.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
nice job . this makes way more sense to me than having a front focal plane on this magnification range and it is at a price point a large number of shooters can afford .
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I literally just got a viper today! Eghhh.. feel like that commeecial where the new phone comes out that same day..
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It says SFP...

SWFA makes yet another winner!!!  Outstanding looking optic for that price range!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FFP or SFP?

It says SFP...

i read that ad 10 fucking times before posting, i see's it now lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the size of the center dot? 1 MOA? 2 MOA? Didn't see it listed anywhere.
View Quote

It is in the photo.

0.3 Mil, or a little over 1 MOA

Remember this is a SFP scope so the reticle will subtend this at 4 power.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#11]
What will the illumination be like?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#12]
That looks like a great scope.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
So... I honestly never really cared for SWFA scopes because the turrets are awful in my opinion. Have you guys addressed your mushy turrets or is it the same as usual? Last time I was behind your glass was this summer.

I may have to come out to swfa and check it out that weekend; if it will be available in your storefront that is.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Why uncapped turrets on a 1-4x?!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
How is the glass compared to something like the Burris XTR-14?  
This seems to be very similar in function and features, but nothing I've tried has been as forgiving on eye position and relief, or as close to true 1x as the XTR
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this have a zero stop atleast??
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does this have a zero stop atleast??
View Quote

highly doubt it would have a zero stop at that price point.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How is the glass compared to something like the Burris XTR-14?  
This seems to be very similar in function and features, but nothing I've tried has been as forgiving on eye position and relief, or as close to true 1x as the XTR
View Quote

This.

Plus I'd like to see a picture looking down the scope.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my swfa 1-4 but i like it for the donut of death and FFP. This looks nice for the price range, but hopefully you don't stop selling the other.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#23]
What is the difference between

SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
SWFA site link

and the one you posted above?  besides the $800 price tag?

Just wondering.  Both look nice and will have to try the lower prices one.  I already like the linked one, it works great but is a bit heavy.

ETA:  They look above the same, except the recticle and weight.  The more expensive one is 3oz heavier and labeled HD.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks great. I'm going to keep this one in mind. Only thing I saw that made me think was the built in throw lever. Seems likely to break if it snags on something. Probably not though
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Very interesting... Looks lik a winner
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not.
Yes, I like low profile uncapped turrets on a scope like this.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I just switched back to all Eotech's because I never could get used to the extra 2 lbs, and was never satisfied with the reticules.
This one has got my gears turning.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Very interesting, is the illuminated reticle day time visible?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice.  Personally I would rather have capped turrets, but I'll still probably pick one up.  It'll be a good comparison to my Primary Arms 1-6.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#30]
What's powering the illuminated reticle?
Daytime usable?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Daytime usable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Daytime usable?

For those wondering if it is "daytime bright"

http://opticstalk.com/new-swfa-ss-14x24_topic40752.html

-Reticle illumination has a good range.  It is not quite bright enough for the brightest light conditions, but plenty good enough for everything else.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1, please... I would also like to see the difference in reticle size at the 1 and 4 power.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

+1.    Please, I would also like to see the difference in reticle size at the 1 and 4 power.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.    Please, I would also like to see the difference in reticle size at the 1 and 4 power.

Thanks

It's a SFP reticle.

A reticle in the Second Focal Plane is placed at the rear of the erector assembly will appear to stay constant in size across the magnification range. The reticle subtensions are set at a pre-determined magnification change as magnification changes. Simple math can be used to determine the change in values, yet the reticle line size will remain consistent for a fine aiming point regardless of magnification.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Daytime usable?

-Reticle illumination has a good range.  It is not quite bright enough for the brightest light conditions, but plenty good enough for everything else.

For that price point, I'd be very surprised if it was daytime bright and would guess that it's more in line with the Burris MTAC. Maybe it'll be Burris XTRII bright and they'll end up selling buckets of them. Looking forward to hearing more.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's a SFP reticle.

A reticle in the Second Focal Plane is placed at the rear of the erector assembly will appear to stay constant in size across the magnification range. The reticle subtensions are set at a pre-determined magnification change as magnification changes. Simple math can be used to determine the change in values, yet the reticle line size will remain consistent for a fine aiming point regardless of magnification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

It's a SFP reticle.

Ah, gotcha.  Thank you for clarification.   Either way, I will be at their front door on Friday morning to pick up a couple.  At THAT price they will make great Xmas gifts!!

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For that price point, I'd be very surprised if it was daytime bright and would guess that it's more in line with the Burris MTAC. Maybe it'll be Burris XTRII bright and they'll end up selling buckets of them. Looking forward to hearing more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Daytime usable?

The reticle on this one, and the 14oz weight has gotten my attention. I ended up going back to Eotech's with a magnifier because of the 2lbs extra weight that was added to the rifle. I'm not too worried about the daytime brightness of this reticle.

Like you said at that price point it probably isn't going to be very bright as most here would wish. If that ended up bothering me I would just piggyback a light red dot to it or offset irons.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Illumination may not play a big a part since a large reticle is easier to see. 14 oz is pretty damn light and in line with Leupolds and Trijicons so a definite plus.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Forgive me for my ignorance. ....

Doesn't mil scope use meters??? So why have a reticle that uses yards for ranging.

I have read stuff that says if you think in terms of meters use a mil scope. If you think in terms of yards use a moa scope. ....

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Forgive me for my ignorance. ....

Doesn't mil scope use meters??? So why have a reticle that uses yards for ranging.

I have read stuff that says if you think in terms of meters use a mil scope. If you think in terms of yards use a moa scope. ....

Thanks for your help.
View Quote

So people can feel better about themselves that cant range with mildots? I dont get why even have the range marks? It takes like 2 seconds to estimate a range with mil dots,idk.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Mil is not metric, it's an angular measurement..  It works equally well in yards.

If you measure your target in inches/yards you can easily range in yards.  If you prefer to measure your target in meters, then you range in meters.

It's a common misconception from the uninitiated that milliradians must have something to do with metric system, but it's not.  "Mil" refers to 1000, and could be 1000 yards, 1000 inches, 1000 ft, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#41]
That is true but it is easy to range in meters with the mildots.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I assume that if illumination is off or there is a battery failure, the diamond and dot revert to black?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I assume that if illumination is off or there is a battery failure, the diamond and dot revert to black?
View Quote

I would like to know this as well
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm probably just missing something, but at 4x, what's the mil/moa measurement between substentions? I'm looking to use this for subsonic 300 BLK and would need to know the drop measurements between substentions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I had a Burris 1.5-8x that the illumination would only light the circle and center dot , but when it was turned off all you would get was a small dot that would have been hard to pick up in low light.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#46]
What time on the 28th do they go on sale,  12:01 AM CST?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Would also like to know where this one is made?

Philippines, China, Japan,ect?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's Japan just like the rest of the Classic line.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Should have decent glass.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm probably just missing something, but at 4x, what's the mil/moa measurement between substentions? I'm looking to use this for subsonic 300 BLK and would need to know the drop measurements between substentions.
View Quote

It is not a MOA or Mil reticle, it is a Mrad reticle.

At 4 power, each line is 1 Mrad away from each other, or 3.534" at 100 yards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top