Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 4:48:51 PM EDT
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and to the black rifle. Tons of great info here!  My background is mostly in handguns (1911 and BHP's) and sporting clays.  I recently acquired a new Sig 516 with a new Eotech EXPS2-0.   I've had it to the range several times and I have the irons zeroed at 50 yards and the eotech the same.

I really need some magnification to use the eotech beyond 50 yards with any precision.  I have been shooting from the bench mostly.  I

I am thinking of  selling the eotech and going with an illuminated reticle 1-4 power scope with qd mount or just getting a 3x magnifier for the eotech.

What are the pros and cons of each setup?  If I went magnifiier  I am looking at primary arms but I am not sure of the quality of their QD FTS mount.  I'm not going to spend 170 bucks for the LaRue.  How solid do these mounts lock up and is there any play?  Are there any other manufactures of a qd fts mount that is of good quality but not top of the price range?  The other option would be the Vortex but I cant find one with a QD mount.  I contemplate myself shooting a lot from a bench  at 100 yard ranges.  If I go magnifier I would prefer QD.

The opposite approach would be to get a decent scope with variable power and qd mounts so I could use the irons in a cqb situation.

Any thoughts to help me out?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always liked the eotech holo and 3x magnifier. Very cool setup indeed (looks and tactical sense), plus you get the best of both worlds (1x mag for close range and 3x mag to reach out there a good ways)

Just my opinion.  I'm sure other people with more experience and know abouts could help better, especially people in service, going down range, trying and testing all sorts of setups where it counts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There's good arguments to both sides of the fence your sitting on.  I will give my personal experience. I started similar to you and ended up getting the Primary Arms LER 3x Mag from someone on the EE.  I also was able to get a Larue flip mount off the EE on the cheap.  If your not in a big hurry to get it and can wait some, there are always good deals that pop up on like new or lightly used items every few days/weeks.  After using it some, I find that it does exactly what I was expecting.  And the eye relief is great.  If you are going the magnifier route I would get the ADM mount from PA ($100) with your 3x mag, wait until a good mount comes up on the EE, or just drop the coin on a Larue. I can't speak of the PA mounts, but all their stuff is quality and if there is issues they take care of you.  

If you are planning on doing a lot of bench shooting, I would probably recommend selling the Eotech and getting a 1-4 or a 1-6.  Vortex is a name that comes up a lot on here because they have a great product for the price and the warranty is untouchable.  If I was in the market for a variable power right now I would probably be getting a Vortex PST 1-4x24.  Another one that has been catching my eye and I'm curious to see how they turn out is the PA 1-6x.  For that price and what I've been hearing and seeing about the samples, it is going to be very popular.  Now with either of these you will also have to buy a mount, and these are somewhere you do not want to skimp especially with qd mounts.  I'd either go ADM or Larue and it's going to be pricey, but a consistent return to zero is important where with the magnifier it doesn't really matter since the reticle is in the Eotech.  

Overall you can't really go wrong either way, and these are just my opinions so take them as you may.  Without knowing if you use this for home defense, I would recommend you get the 1-4 or 1-6.  If you do use it for HD then the Eotech may better serve you.  Or you can do what I did and just build a second rifle for HD and put the Eotech on that
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top