Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/22/2013 11:06:18 AM EDT
I found this pic on the 'net of a Marine firing on a training range in Hawaii.  Clearly shows a Magpul BUIS and an Aimpoint (?) red dot sight on his rifle:

Link Posted: 5/22/2013 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably in MARSOC where they have a little more leeway in equipment choices...
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a M4 carbine, not their M16A4 rifle.  Aimpoints are common, but I've never seen that little new one issued.  Nor have I ever seen a non-ranging BUIS.  Looks to be nicely set up & weigh about 10 lbs, though.  Non-standard stock as well.  PX issue Mechanix gloves.

Ground pounding sailors wear a similar camouflage pattern - we're sure he's a Marine?  We're sure it's an issue weapon, & not a Marine firing his personal weapon on the base range (open to all Americans)?
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The KAC 600  BUIS is the program of record for the Marine Corps
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

true that!!!  

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The set of photos that I pulled the one in the first post from were billed as "close quarter tactics shooting at the Kaneohe Bay range training facility, May 13", and being carried out by the USMC.  Another point is that the Aimpoint sight has some sort of painted-on rack number, which, if I owned it on my personal firearm, would not be there.

I googled "Kaneohe Bay Range", and it looks like it's part of a Marine camp at Kaneohe Bay, HI.

So I concluded, reasonably I think, that the rifle and the equipment mounted on it were USMC issue.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe something the Marine put on the rifle themselves, magpul stuff is for sale on our marine base px here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quite possible that it was his own personal purchase.

I've seen chinese 4x ("colt style") on top of M16's before.  They sure weren't issue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Pic is blurry, but is it even an M4?  I don't see a third pin...
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like an AR15 to me. Btw It's not a BUIS, it's a BUS since its plastic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:48:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I've seen recon and EOD Marines trick out their rifles like that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Since he has a AFG on his gun, probable added the MBUS on his own also.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like he's wearing ACUs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely USMC cammies.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pic is blurry, but is it even an M4?  I don't see a third pin...

This is a crucial observation in my view.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably just personally purchased gear.

I do see the pin though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the trade mark aqua green ACUs
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Probably in MARSOC where they have a little more leeway in equipment choices...

or a personal upper on an issue lower. or a personal carbine....

Definatly not the standard Marine infantry rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like a M4 carbine, not their M16A4 rifle.  Aimpoints are common, but I've never seen that little new one issued.  Nor have I ever seen a non-ranging BUIS.  Looks to be nicely set up & weigh about 10 lbs, though.  Non-standard stock as well.  PX issue Mechanix gloves.

Ground pounding sailors wear a similar camouflage pattern - we're sure he's a Marine?  We're sure it's an issue weapon, & not a Marine firing his personal weapon on the base range (open to all Americans)?

Take a look at the AFSOC and SOPMOD Block II threads, there are some guys who have been issued T1s.  Most likely unit level purchase, but they are out there.

Doubt it's a personal rifle, appears to be sporting a PEQ-16 on the top rail, highly doubt the armorers let him mount that on his personal rifle.

ETA:  If you look close enough, there does appear to be a third pin above the safety selector.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's what I'm seeing as well. Mint green and sand brown digi camo on the sleeve.

It doesn't resemble the USMC woodland or desert digital, nor does it look like AOR 1 or 2. Could be the ABU uniform, but it looks VERY ACU/UCP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

true that!!!  

The Matech BUIS is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm seeing as well. Mint green and sand brown digi camo on the sleeve.

It doesn't resemble the USMC woodland or desert digital, nor does it look like AOR 1 or 2. Could be the ABU uniform, but it looks VERY ACU/UCP.

He is clearly wearing Woodland Marpat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
If he's wearing Woodland MarPat and the photo was taken on May 13, he's wearing the wrong uniform.

We switch over to Desert MarPats at Daylight Savings Time, unless Hawaii is OFP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If he's wearing Woodland MarPat and the photo was taken on May 13, he's wearing the wrong uniform.

We switch over to Desert MarPats at Daylight Savings Time, unless Hawaii is OFP.

I have worn woodlands in Hawaii in July for Rim Pac 06' because the leadership told me to. Also, if you are going to the field, the unit leaders can decide what cammies you will be wearing, and since it is Hawaii, woodlands match better than deserts unless you are doing beach landings. Deserts/woodlands April/October only matter for garrison.

Most likely, he is Marsoc or some other top tier unit that can get away with not wearing a kevlar and have non issued gear on his rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, considering most of the KAC micros that the USMC ordered are now on eBay and Gunbroker...
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true that!!!  

The Matech BUIS is.

The Matech is authorized and was bought from 07 to 10 instead of carrying handles.  Since 2010, we bought about as many KAC BUISs as we had weapons.  Too bad thousands of them were stolen or just given away as a free issue item.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true that!!!  

The Matech BUIS is.

The Matech is authorized and was bought from 07 to 10 instead of carrying handles.  Since 2010, we bought about as many KAC BUISs as we had weapons.  Too bad thousands of them were stolen or just given away as a free issue item.

I have never seen one on any rifle except for the full set on my Mk12.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true that!!!  

The Matech BUIS is.

I have never seen one on any rifle except for the full set on my Mk12.

We bought over 200K of them, but many people did not even know what they were so a huge portion ended up on Ebay. the trash or given away.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true that!!!  

The Matech BUIS is shit.

FIFY

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#29]
The only problem I've ever had w/ the Matech is it seems to change yardage when it gets bumped.  Seems accurate enough.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#30]
His sleeve is ACU. that's not a marine dude.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

UCP would most likely say "Army."

But AN/PEQ-16A says Marines.  

I wonder if it's an exposure/saturation thing.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe he's an Army Seal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

It is most definitely woodland Marpat. You guys need to check your hue and saturation on your monitors.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

true that!!!  

The Matech BUIS is shit.

FIFY

Never said they were good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

It is most definitely woodland Marpat. You guys need to check your hue and saturation on your monitors.

Maybe. It absolutely looks like UCP on my screen, but the PEQ makes me wonder.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#36]
OK on my phone now and yeah, it's marpat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#37]
We were issued the Aimpoint T-1 for use with the 203. For primary optics though, in my unit it is RCO only. If you add your own BUIS you better not get caught.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Green, brown, tan & black is not ACU
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The set of photos that I pulled the one in the first post from were billed as "close quarter tactics shooting at the Kaneohe Bay range training facility, May 13", and being carried out by the USMC.  Another point is that the Aimpoint sight has some sort of painted-on rack number, which, if I owned it on my personal firearm, would not be there.

I googled "Kaneohe Bay Range", and it looks like it's part of a Marine camp at Kaneohe Bay, HI.

So I concluded, reasonably I think, that the rifle and the equipment mounted on it were USMC issue.

I used a KAC flip up and was issued none

I have rack numbers on my LaRue ACOG mount - personally bought.... (never put it in the armory with  my EOTech that I usually used but I'm sure it would have ended up with numbers as well if I did (and was allowed to) do so)

I'm more amazed someone booked time on KBay's range - I only shot there a handful of times.... also, probably not MARSOC
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

not anymore

probably for the "field" though (not sure how you're in the field when you can walk to the PX)
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have worn woodlands in Hawaii in July for Rim Pac 06' because the leadership told me to. Also, if you are going to the field, the unit leaders can decide what cammies you will be wearing, and since it is Hawaii, woodlands match better than deserts unless you are doing beach landings. Deserts/woodlands April/October only matter for garrison.

Most likely, he is Marsoc or some other top tier unit that can get away with not wearing a kevlar and have non issued gear on his rifle.

all of this but the red - I'll agree it's odd I don't see his kevlar also though
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#42]
why is his aimpoint mounted so far back?
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

why is his aimpoint mounted so far back?

That's the way he likes it probably, and people say you can find the dot easier with it that far back in odd positions.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#44]
The Force Platoons that go out on MEUs often have aimpoints bought by their Battalions in place of the EOs that come with the CQBWs
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top