Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2013 10:27:09 PM EDT
I've never had a scope and don't know much about them but was wondering what a good one was to shoot a range of 100-200 yds. Plan to use it on both my AR and AK. Was looking at some that were 3-9x 40mm. Not sure how far that would go...any advice?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
One that has good glass holds zero and is very expensive.JK there are a lot of threads about optics here.
I know a lot of people lean towards leapold here .
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:...any advice?

Research is my advice. There is a lot to know.

When I first got into optics I thought spending $200 on a scope was crazy. Little did I know, soon my rings alone would cost that much!

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:...any advice?

Research is my advice. There is a lot to know.

When I first got into optics I thought spending $200 on a scope was crazy. Little did I know, soon my rings alone would cost that much!

This man said it right.

My first scope was a $100 Dunham's special on sale for $50. The scope I'm looking at now is $550, plus $75 for rings, plus $75 for base...that's $700 for optics and the rifle I'm putting it on cost me $525.

Anyways, there is a lot to learn about scopes. 3-9x40 should suffice for the ranges you're shooting.

The objective size and main tube diameter determine how much light makes it through the scope. More light means brighter image.

Then there's the type of reticle you can choose, and there's a lot of them.

You've got various coatings on the pieces of glass.

There's different types of turrets for adjusting for windage and elevation.

There's 1st or 2nd focal plane, advantages and disadvantages to both.

There's adjustable objective (AO).

Some scopes have a knob for focusing on the side rather than the eyepiece.

I'd do some research. But a $200 scope could be a good starting point for you, but you will get sucked in eventually.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Nikon P223 on my AR and I really like it... The Nikon is around 200.00...
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch Nutnfancy on Youtube. There is a vid about AR optics. If you can get through his long-ace vid and take some notes, he mentions a lot of them.  5 or more scopes are mentioned for their great value. There is one that stands out the most. I havn't used it but I can relate to all the problems that he speaks about from scopes that I have used and from what I've noticed while shopping in person/gun shows. But I would start there. I would just check out that video. Think I may even get the scope he raves about once I actually go for an optic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Watch Nutnfancy on Youtube. There is a vid about AR optics. If you can get through his long-ace vid and take some notes, he mentions a lot of them.  5 or more scopes are mentioned for their great value. There is one that stands out the most. I havn't used it but I can relate to all the problems that he speaks about from scopes that I have used and from what I've noticed while shopping in person/gun shows. But I would start there. I would just check out that video. Think I may even get the scope he raves about once I actually go for an optic.

This

Im either going with a Leupold Mark AR 3x9 or trijicon Accupoint 3x9 (i know, two different leagues)
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nutnfancy is the man. Definitely has some good info.
I've always had good luck with Burris, Leupold and Nikon's. But I just recently went to cabelas and tried every scope I could get my hands on. When I came across the Leupold VX-R Patrol scope 1.25-4X20, I was sold as soon as I brought that scope up to my eye. It's incredible. And after taking it out and shooting a couple hundred rounds, I'm even more in love with it. The eye relief is incredible. I can quickly engaged targets close range and reach out long range no problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll definitely have to do some more research and watch some videos. There seems to be a lot of models and brands to compare
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]
heres a very nice scope scope that won't break the bank account. Hand turn turrets that can be reset to 0.  Real long eye relief, a ton of MOA adjustment. I picked up 2. Perfect for a coyote hunting rig or shootin groundhogs 100-150 yards out.

far better than any chicom scope!

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&src=iF04&prodID=NK8441

and a very nice economy priced mount made in the USA!

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=VW161FPT&src=exrbSrch

you will be hard pressed to beat this scope and mount combo for $200.00. Trust me I'm a cheap bastard!

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: Trust me I'm a cheap bastard!

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted: Trust me I'm a cheap bastard!

really! it's a good set up.  if any one here can come up with a combo that is as good at this price point? I'd sure like to know about it?

adjustments as far as tracking are excellent, eye relief is looooooong. as ya can see. just dial in and run with this rig!

a good shooter could run this to 400 yards in a blink, on say 18 inch steel. Plenty of room for backup Irons.

it's a PAPPYO best buy!

I do own the Nikon P223 in 3-9..................this set up smokes it!

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Picking a scope is like picking a gun. There are people that will tell you do not buy a scope until you buy a high end scope. Others will buy a low end scope and have it for a while and say it was a great scope for the money.. I know a few of us on here have Nikon scopes. The reason I like the P223 and the range is 600 yards with the BDC. The P223 is affordable and looks nice on the AR. There are two types of the P223 one does not have the BDC and is a smaller scope. I look at the price and I believe for around $50.00 more you should buy the better of 2 scope for around 200.00 if you buy the P223.. I have a friend who has a S&W M&P Sports with Truglo red dot for $75.00 and he love it.. So what ever scope or red dot you get just do some research on it.. Best of luck..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top