Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2011 1:29:15 PM EDT
See range report at the bottom.  Def. like this optic now that I have used it some.

Vortex Razor 1-4 scope came in today and I can't make it out to the range to shoot it.    So I got it mounted and started running through some dry fire drills and looking through it at various distances.   So far im not loving this EBR reticle.   I haven't changed the battery but the illumination is useless in daylight and being in the first focal plane, its REALLY small on the lowest setting.   Its pretty cool on 4 power but im thinking this wont be a good three gun optic.  Currently its residing on an AR15 / flattop.

I used the focus ring on the back of the ocular lens to fine tune the focus of the reticle to my eye, but it still doesn't seem right.

This scope is bulit like a tank and not too long. I REALLY want this scope to work because it is a solid instrument otherwise

Vortex site

I think this model would have been better......hindsight CQMR reticle
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Vortex Razor 1-4 scope came in today and I can't make it out to the range to shoot it.    So I got it mounted and started running through some dry fire drills and looking through it at various distances.   So far im not loving this EBR reticle.   I haven't changed the battery but the illumination is useless in daylight and being in the first focal plane, its REALLY small on the lowest setting.   Its pretty cool on 4 power but im thinking this wont be a good three gun optic.  Currently its residing on an AR15 / flattop.

I used the focus ring on the back of the ocular lens to fine tune the focus of the reticle to my eye, but it still doesn't seem right.

This scope is bulit like a tank and not too long. I REALLY want this scope to work because it is a solid instrument otherwise

Vortex site

I thought the 1-4 PST's were on hold at least until Feb.

Eitherway, pics of your setup?

J
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
PSTs are shipping now. However, it sounds like he has the HD, the high dollar scope
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
yea its the HD model.   Glass is superb
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nice, still in for pics
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, still in for pics

wut he said
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, still in for pics

wut he said

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I will get pics up tonight hopefully.  I wish there was a way to demonstrate the glass in this scope online.  you cant appreciate it until you look through it.

Illumination update:  played around with it a little more last night and thougth the illumination was broken.  The only setting it would turn on was the 11 (hightest setting).  So I intalled a fresh batter and HOLY COW!!!!.   this joker is bright.  in the garage it looked it looked like the rising sun inside the tube.  turned it down to 4 and love it.  The range of intensity you can adjust on this scope is good.   Hopefully will shoot it some friday or sat.  

@ 2x the reticle starts coming into its own.  You still get a optic that I think would work for close stuff if needed but the reticle begins to clear up a bit.  

@4x the reticle is charming.  I can appreciate the FFP reticle now when you spend some time looking through it at this zoom range.....more to come soon.  Its growing on me

also.... putting this beside a nightforce NXS this weekend.  should be interesting to see a glass comparison.  Anybody know if the same MFG. provides glass to Vortex & Nightforce.   The razor has a Made in Japan stamp on the bottom BTW.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
teaser pics until i get home tonight.  this was the scope prior to mounting:

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Vortex site

Is the reason you think the second reticle would be better because w/ a first focal plane scope at 1X the reticle is too fine or at 4X too course?

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
i was speculating with that comment about the CQMR reticle.  It may be just as fine at 1x

This reticle is growing on me
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
bunch of pics here   will fill in some details in the amRazor 1-4 pics

really cool fiber optic light pipe indicator on the zoom ring

Matech BUIS clearance with a Larue 104

illumination knob (each half step is an OFF position, very cool feature)

scope caps (Bushwacker MFG)

objective bell

reticles:
1x no illumination

1x illumination on 6

1x illumination on 11 (flaring)

2x illumination on 1

2x illumination on 6

2x illumination on 11

2x illumination on 9 (photo was taken about 6pm with overcast skys  / the fisheye was caused from the camera focus issue not the glass.  It is clear edge to edge)

4x illumination on 1

4x illumination on 6

4x illumination on 11

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#12]
pics added
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the review.

I'm normally a big proponent of FFP in my scopes, but I don't think it's appropriate on a 1-4 personally.

I've actually been looking at Vortex scopes for a couple weeks now. I was wondering how the high-end ones compared to say Nightforce.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I can speak of the glass in this vs. a Nightforce  NXS 1-4.  Both are superb and I would be misguided to rate one bettter than the other.   Will put some rounds down range Sat. AM and hopefully have a range report on the scope.  The FOV is very generous in this scope

vortex razor 1-4 94.5-24.2 feet/100 yards vs. Nightforce 100ft @ 1x  25ft @4x from the MFG websites.  

If I can get a sunny day here I will give some feedback on a daylight visible reticle .
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm glad to actually see one mounted on someones rifle. I am in an argument with myself as to whether I am going to go with this optic or the nightforce. I am wanting the setup for a 3 gun rifle and had heard that they worked really well in 3gun, but that might have been the other reticle...
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Is that a FDE anodizing on that optic?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
made it out sat morning for some cold and windy range time, especially for SC.  Had several scopes that were being zeroed that day using a 50 meter zero with the preliminary sight in planned for 25 yards.  POI needed to be about .5-.6" low for a 50 meter zero according to my bulletflight calculations

We put a brand new Nightforce 1-4x24 NXS with the compact mil dot against the Vortex Razor 1-4x24 with the EBR 556 reticle

The nightforce scope was exactly a week and 2 days old since my bud received it from Larue.  Both scopes were mounted in the Larue LT104 mount. For the duration of this review the Nightforce rode on a Colt 6940 16" carbine and the Vortex topped a Colt 14.5" factory upper matched to an SBR RRA lower.  The pictures below depict the Razor atop a LWRC PSD for fun only, so take that with a grain of salt, just playing potato head with the stuff. At any rate, nightforce was roughly sited in from a previous range session and vortex was only mounted in the mount.  Off to the 25 yard line and in about 5 rounds, we had the razor on target.  

Before you read this, you should know that my friend purchased the NXS because I recomened it to him.  this was about 2 weeks before I picked up the razor.  We chose to steer clear of the FC2 reticle because of its 2MOA center dot.  The purpose of this scope was going on a 300-600 yard gun.  So here we go........

GLASS: RAZOR WINS

Well this was certianly a surprise when you put these two sopes beside one another.  .  in full disclosure, my previous experience with Nightforce scopes have been the 3.5-15 or 5.5-20 long range scopes used in F-class type shooting.  This was my second outing with a compact nightforce, the first being a quick range session after mounting it up on my friends rifle.  This was my first ever experience with a vortex optic.  Vortex touts this scope as being stuffed with HD glass (high density / extra low dispersion) glass but I was a skeptical and thought it was more a selling point.  Also, I know from years of photography that you get what you pay for in glass, focal length, aperture, and construction.  Nightforce scopes have always surprised me when compared to the leupold and other mid range optics.  The class is crisp and clear and certain features seem to pop out when you looking through them.  Whien we mounted up the compact NXS, the glass looked great but the reticle was hard to find (more on that below).  When you look through the Vortex, the entire field of view seems to come alive.  Edge to edge, the glass makes everything clearer, brighter, with the perfect amount of contrast, at that's at 1x.  At 4x there is no lose of clarity its almost like watching a 3D movie.  Both my shooting buddy and I agreed that the glass in the Razor was superior to the NXS.  You guys are gonna think im nuts, and maybe the NXS we have is a dud, but the razor made the sight picture out of the NXS seem dull

RETICLE: RAZOR WINS

The biggest surprise of the day for the both of us was how washed out the NXS compact mil dot was.  After working the ocular bell to adjust the reticle several times, the crosshair was still very fine.  This sucked because the "see through" crosshair in the NXS was a selling point.   The illumination was not visible in the 10:00AM sun at any setting.  We struggled with finding the reticle in the scope all morning.  The Razor was a completely different story.  Being in the first focal plan, it starts out small which is faster than I thought.   When you crank it up to 4x its loses all the business and is very usable. For some reason I really like the 1.5x and 2x setting on this scope.  The reticle seems a litte bigger and more usable at these settings.  However, at 1x this scope is MUCH faster transitioning between close targets that I previously thought.

NXS on the brightest illumination setting 1x.  (apologize for the terrible pics and flare)

Razor on the brightest illumination setting 1x

Razor on brightest illumination setting 4x

CONSTRUCTION
: NXS wins because the compacts are made stateside

Personally, I think that both of these scopes are built and designed extremely well.  I like the styling and size of the NXS way better.  It seems more streamlined and not as bulky.  The Razor weighs 3.2 more ounces than the NXS which isn't much but when you combine the weight and actual size, the RAZOR is a little chunky.......for lack of a better word.  

Turrets: NXS WINS

This NXS came with the capped .25 MOA turrets and the Razor came with the exposed, standard .25 MOA turrets.  The Nightforce has good positive and audible clicks.  They give you a tactile and audible signature that you adjustment has been made and you can do this without having to move the gun or take your eyes from the scope if the caps are removed. The turrents on the Razor don't need to be locking because they were the hardest turrets I have ever adjusted.  Althougth the elevation and windage adjustments are marked clearly to allow quick / easy adjustment, both turrets took A LOT of force to move them.  I don't know if something was wrong with my scope or not, but they were very hard to move.  They were positive, but for every adjustment I had to reposition to adjust.  its not the same click you hear with the NXS but more of a tactile only response.  Tracking was accurate and spot on with both optics which is great.  They both do what you tell them to with no issues.   Personally, Im a big fan of the .250 MOA adjustments.  Im used to them and it gives me the flexibility I like.   Due to the size and ease of adjustment the NXS was easier to me.  I do love the indicator mark on the RAZOR though

Illumination: RAZOR WINS

For this review it was hands down the razor.  It the almost noon sun (bright clear day) the illumination was visible at each power setting.  Now its not going to be like an aimpoint / eotech / acog illumination but bright enough for picking up targets 25-100 yards @ illumination on 11.  Very cool  

Razor 1x illumination on 11

Aimpoint T1 on its hight illumination for comparison

The NXS's reticle was just barely daylight visible and this was a huge disappointment.  Actually the illumination in this scope is usless unless its dawn / dusk or inside in a dim environment.   Maybe the FC2 reticle sucks in more light but this was a huge disappointment to myself and the new NXS owner.  talk about feeling like heel, recommending this based on prior experience with other nightforce scopes and encountering this afield...............ooops.    Both scopes were sporting fresh batteries as well for the test.  

ZOOM RING: RAZOR WINS

The zoom ring on the razor was pretty sweet.  the 1, 1.5, 2, 3, and 4 magnification settings have a rear facing indexing marker combined with the small fiber optic tube to identify what power your own.  The zoom ring swings freely and rubber coated ring is a nice tough.  Offers a positive purchase, smooth rotation, and quick adjustment.   The NXZ's zoom ring is smaller and somewhat stiffer and adjusting it was a little more of a pain.  This is another example of Vortex putting a lot of thought into a portion of the design that I think will pay dividends.  

One interesting lesson I learned about the razor is when the battery CR2032 battery is low it only works on the 11 setting.  I thought something was wrong with the scope before I changed it and bam.  much brighter with tons of adjustment.  There is a big difference between the 10 and 11 setting as well.  Looks to me that Vortex put some effort into the 11 setting to get a much more usable daylight lite reticle.  

CONCLUSION
:  

Both agreed on Sat. that the Razor's image quality, clarity, and good reticle (and growing on me every outting) make it a better choice dollar for dollar.  I really wish it was made in the US because thats important to me.  Whatever the case, the razor has just about everything going for it you could imagine.  Personally, I would like to play with a second focal plane version with the Viper PST 1-4 reticle using this glass and some turrets that were easier to adjust.   I just can't say enough about this glass.  Its been a couple years since I had a Schmidt & Bender in my hands and although I remember it be ultra clear (and heavy) I don't feel comfortable making a comparison.  Would like to do the road though.  I certainly thought the Nighforce would have surpassed the Razor or at the very least held its own, but for everyone there sat, the razor surpassed it in just about every category.  Also, when I called Vortex to ask about a possible reticle swap when I first got the scope, they said they didn't have enough reticles or the setup to do that right now.  But they were VERY helpful and kind on the phone.  I got the feeling that they would help me if there was a problem.  I like that as well from a company.   I haven't called Nightforce with a question before so I can't speak of the their customer service.  

If I can get my hands on a Viper PST 1-4 x 24, I wlil do a side by side of them as well.  If you have any questions, shoot me an email

hope this helps somebody down the road.  Look for more reviews when budget allows:

Afield:

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Great review! I myself, can't believe that this company seems to have come out of no where making, IMO, airsoft glass and now putting out glass with this kind of price tag.

I certainly hope they continue to innovate and make some more scopes in various configurations.

As you've found, i feel that a 1-4x should be a 2nd focal plane but I'd love to have something in the 3-9x50 range with FFP. Hope it happens...

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#19]
ran this scope out to 300 yards yesterday and I must say I really like it now.  After shooting it close to mid range, its a versitle unit.  

200 yards @ 4x

300 yards @ 4x

300 yards @ 4x w/ illumination on
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice report.  Wish I had the money for the razor, but I will be ordering the PST today!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top