Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2010 5:33:57 PM EDT
Last I heard release date to the unwashed masses was supposed to be Aug 2010.

Anyone have these in stock or accepting pre/back orders?  Arfcom sponsor to support?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't think they're out yet, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Expect them in October, but S&B does have a reputation for being late I'm told.  

The Swavorski 1-6X might be the way to go if you need something soon.  I prefer the illumination approach on the Z6i and the glass is supposedly clearer as the S&Bs have a blue tint that's supposed to enhance the illumination.  Looks like the S&B will be 2500 ish and thus $300 or so over the Z6i too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Horton Sees a Hue

The pic below shows a view looking through a Short Dot LE with the magnification set at 1.1X.  The chimney in the middle of the view is approximately 100 yards away.  Notice the orange leaves and bricks, the green shingles and the white and yellow aluminum siding.  Also notice that the only hue, in the view, that remotely resembles a shade of blue, is the small patch of sky near 3 o’clock.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
They are great scopes,  and I'm not even suggesting that it would be a show stopper, but a google search of "S&B Scope blue tint" yields a number of germane hits.  Not like I just dreamed it up.  Search for yourself if it's a issue.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are great scopes,  and I'm not even suggesting that it would be a show stopper, but a google search of "S&B Scope blue tint" yields a number of germane hits.  Not like I just dreamed it up.  Search for yourself if it's a issue.

I don't need to "search for myself" because I actually ascertain the facts of an issue myself before posting in a technical forum.  You've obviously never even looked through a Short Dot LE.  You're just parroting stupid shit that you heard from someone else, without having verified the FACTS. The old models of the Short Dot do have a slight blue tint and that was corrected years ago.  The new models are crystal clear, as my picture above shows.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Well shopping both S&B scopes right now and the "stupid shit" I'm hearing is from the people that are actually selling  them RIGHT NOW.  But thanks for your "two cents", I give it the consideration it deserves.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=504972

"The S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot has a blue tint to the lens so it makes the image darker, I’m not a big fan of this but it help with making the RED DOT brighter. The Swaro does not have this and the image is crystal clear. It is a true 1x so it will be very fast for CQB shots.

This scope would be great for a 14” to a 20” AR platform type rifle. "
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a 1.7-10 Swaro. If they put FFP mil dots in it and an elevation knob, on the Z6i model, they would have a winner.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all ... emailed a few retailers.  A couple are taking preorders, unknown delivery times but Oct was mentioned a few times.  Prices quoted were in the $2600 range, maybe a little less.

I'm in no hurry, and can't even come up with a solid reason why I need that particular scope.  Just looks great, fits the roles I had in mind for a gun I just put together, and I have a (bad?) habit of buying better stuff than I need.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks all ... emailed a few retailers.  A couple are taking preorders, unknown delivery times but Oct was mentioned a few times.  Prices quoted were in the $2600 range, maybe a little less.

I'm in no hurry, and can't even come up with a solid reason why I need that particular scope.  Just looks great, fits the roles I had in mind for a gun I just put together, and I have a (bad?) habit of buying better stuff than I need.

Nothing wrong with buying the best if you can afford it.  Hoping they do release it soon.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We have a 1.7-10 Swaro. If they put FFP mil dots in it and an elevation knob, on the Z6i model, they would have a winner.

Well the BRT reticle is in the FFP and better yet, the red dot is in the SFP.  Seems like a nice arrangement to me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is a true 1x so it will be very fast for CQB shots.
"

I bought a Weaver 1-3x  awhile back to play with at local range.

Ive also have been useing a Aimpoint ML2 for around 9 years now.
And a 551F Iffy Tech for about 5 years

With the Weaver set at 1x  it looks just like looking at my ML2 or 551F

Dont know if its a TRUE 1x but it can be used just like a aimpoint but without a Red Dot

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a true 1x so it will be very fast for CQB shots.
"

I bought a Weaver 1-3x  awhile back to play with at local range.

Ive also have been useing a Aimpoint ML2 for around 9 years now.
And a 551F Iffy Tech for about 5 years

With the Weaver set at 1x  it looks just like looking at my ML2 or 551F

Dont know if its a TRUE 1x but it can be used just like a aimpoint but without a Red Dot

The S&B 1-8X appears to be an interesting optic but aside from the brief reviews not much is known as yet.  This video covers it, but the FFP and SFP discussion by the author is in error.  The scope performs as he say though, the illuminated dot does not grow with magnification and thus stays precise for high mag. long shots, he just has his focal planes confused I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmrxGwSlI0

It can be a pure 1x scope in the "CC mode" with parallax adjusted to 25 meters.  Big issue with these scopes is the added weight and while it may be a pure 1x you can use with both eyes open, it's still a large hunk of metal that may obscure your view in CQB scenarios.  If guys can reject an M4s in favor of a T-1 due to size, the same issue will be present for a much larger optic like this one.  

The more I monkey with these rifles the more I'm convinced nothing is ideal for everything.  We can wish for the perfect rig, but it's hard to assemble.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the BRT reticle is in the FFP and better yet, the red dot is in the SFP.  Seems like a nice arrangement to me.

I like that they made the BRT reticle in MILs and the brightness of the dot combined with the high quality Swaro glass makes for a very nice arrangement indeed.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Sorry, but the Z6 manual claims that the reticle is in the second focal plane.  Is this right or wrong?  Does the BRT-I reticle remain the same size at 1x, as well as the dot?  A reticle that shrinks down at 1x would be much less useful.

I'm asking because IPSC matches often have targets that require precise aiming because of no-shoots or hard cover, and if I'm zeroed at 50 yards, having a reticle that supports holdovers would be very useful.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, but the Z6 manual claims that the reticle is in the second focal plane.  Is this right or wrong?

Good catch. The illuminated dot is second focal plane.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Quoted:

So you're saying that the reticle is in the SFP too?  [I have a Zeiss scope with a FFP reticle and a SFP dot, so I don't want to jump to conclusions]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Mike,
Is it true that placing the illuminated dot on one focal plane and the reticle on another is a recipe for problems?  I'm talking about potential misalignments over time.

Thanks

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top