Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2009 11:16:52 AM EDT
Hello all,

I've read a ton of posts about each of these optics, but for the most part, they're all about a year old.  It seems like the general consensus is that they're both great optics for the cost, but that the LRS-1 is hit & miss for quality (at least they were back in August of '08).  AFAIK Millett (Bushnell) is pretty good about correcting the issues that some people experience with the LRS-1.

Another downside is that LaRue doesn't make 35mm rings (for the LRS-1).

I'm currently working on a varminter build that I'm hoping to get 300-600 yards out of, with the best accuracy possible.  I've never owned a scope that was > 10x, and I think having 16x or even the 24x of the LRS would be pretty useful to me.

The answer very well may be that I just need to fork out a little more cash for better optics, but I'd love to hear the experiences of people who currently own these scopes.  Unfortunately I can't really justify spending the better part 2k for a NightForce NSX, as much as I do really want one
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I would also like to hear anyone's experiences with the TRS. I have a Larue OSR on order that I already have an ACOG TA11 for, but would also like a longer range scope. I live in kansas city so, I am going to the Bushnell/Millett headquarters today to look at one of the TRS's in person.

I had a bushnell 5.5X 15 3200 series on my last bolt gun and thought that the eye releif was extremly picky. I had to be just perfect with my eye releif all of the time. So I am hopping the Millett would be a little more forgiving.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would also like to hear anyone's experiences with the TRS. I have a Larue OSR on order that I already have an ACOG TA11 for, but would also like a longer range scope. I live in kansas city so, I am going to the Bushnell/Millett headquarters today to look at one of the TRS's in person.

I had a bushnell 5.5X 15 3200 series on my last bolt gun and thought that the eye releif was extremly picky. I had to be just perfect with my eye releif all of the time. So I am hopping the Millett would be a little more forgiving.

I intend to use my TRS-1 on my OSR until I can save up my pennies for something from NF or S&B. Overall I'm very impressed with the quality of the scope (even more so when you consider the price). For less expensive (but still quality) you should look at Vortex Optics as well. They have an industry forum here and they've been getting good reviews.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I intend to use my TRS-1 on my OSR until I can save up my pennies for something from NF or S&B. Overall I'm very impressed with the quality of the scope (even more so when you consider the price). For less expensive (but still quality) you should look at Vortex Optics as well. They have an industry forum here and they've been getting good reviews.

Thanks, I'll take a look @ Vortex too.

I think I'd be sold on the LRS-1 if it had a 34mm or even a 30mm tube so I could use it with a LaRue mount... I've heard that the supplied rings are decent, though.

On the other hand, I'd also be sold on the TRS if it had a little more magnification.  16x may be plenty, but 24x would be nice for those 600 yard shots.

SWFA SS scopes seem to have a pretty good rep too (for the money), and if they had a 16x+ scope with SF, that might be in my line up as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a very satisfied TRS owner. I hear the new models have are available in 1/4 moa or 1/10 mil clicks and has marks on the turrets so you know how many turns you raised it. Mine has 1/8 moa clicks. Nice for extreme long range, but a bit fine for my taste.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I am hoping I really like the TRS when I look at it later today. I just dont want to have $2500-3000 wraped up in scopes for 1 rifle. I already dropped 1k on the Acog.

And I haven't even seen or touched the rifle yet.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am a very satisfied TRS owner. I hear the new models have are available in 1/4 moa or 1/10 mil clicks and has marks on the turrets so you know how many turns you raised it. Mine has 1/8 moa clicks. Nice for extreme long range, but a bit fine for my taste.

Yeah, the LRS-1 has those options as well.  I haven't decided between 1/4 moa or .1 mil yet... decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I went ahead and bought the TRS today. It looks good.

Now I have an ACOG TA11E and a Millett TRS for my Larue OSR.

Has anybody spotted my OSR I must have misplaced it because it is not sitting in my gun cabinet!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Has anybody spotted my OSR I must have misplaced it because it is not sitting in my gun cabinet!!!!!

Awesome... I've almost pulled the trigger on ordering one a few times today as well.  The only thing that keeps stopping me is the desire for slightly more powerful magnification, though 16x may be enough.

Did you go for the .1 mil or the 1/4 moa?  

I have an ACOG also... love it.  I have a TA31RCO-M4.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome... I've almost pulled the trigger on ordering one a few times today as well.  The only thing that keeps stopping me is the desire for slightly more powerful magnification, though 16x may be enough.

Did you go for the .1 mil or the 1/4 moa?  

I have an ACOG also... love it.  I have a TA31RCO-M4.

You had me scared for a moment. It looks like there is only one part number for the TRS-1 which is BK81001. There is no option for .1 mil or 1/4 moa.
I looked at the scope and it end of the turrent is marked 1/4. However it has tiny hash marks that do click and this must be every .1 mil.

So the answer is both, unless someone else can chime in and say different. The funy thing is the manual must be for the older one because it does state that they are 1/8.

Only bad thing I have found so far, keep in mind I am just playing with it here at home is that for some reason setting 2 on the lighted cross hair does not work. Very strange setting Off and setting 2 turns the lightning off.

Not a huge deal, I will proably just not worry about it. I honestly can not ever see the need for 11 total settings. I will just use level 1 or 3 if need be.

But if I do find anything else wrong I will take back to Bushnell and exchange. That is one nice thing about them be local.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Yes, I had seen that before. You can see that write up is old there is some incorrect info in that article for the current model.

The mil is correct at 10X and it is 1/4- .1 mil marks on the turrets.

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You had me scared for a moment. It looks like there is only one part number for the TRS-1 which is BK81001. There is no option for .1 mil or 1/4 moa.
I looked at the scope and it end of the turrent is marked 1/4. However it has tiny hash marks that do click and this must be every .1 mil.

So the answer is both, unless someone else can chime in and say different. The funy thing is the manual must be for the older one because it does state that they are 1/8.

From the Millett website: "Windage and elevation adjustments change to 1/4 MOA and .1 Mil dot. You have a choice of a TRS in 1/4 inch clicks or .1 mil dot in 2009"

It sounds to me like it's an option, but maybe it isn't available for purchase yet... I've only found the 1/4 moa model available for purchase.

Quoted:

Yes, I had seen that before. You can see that write up is old there is some incorrect info in that article for the current model.

The mil is correct at 10X and it is 1/4- .1 mil marks on the turrets.

It's correct at 10x, not 16x?  Is this what it says in the manual?
[edit]I just read the manual... yep, 10x.  Do you notice the audible click with the zoom ring at 10x like they described in the review at Sniper Central?[/edit]
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes,it does click at 10X.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup, it has a little ball-detent at 10x to let you find it easier in the dark or without looking at the numbers. This lets you know that you're at 10x for the mil calculations.

For 600 yards on a man-sized target, 16x is more than enough.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
The only TRS-1 scope out now is the 1/4" click model. The .1 Mil TRS-1 is not out yet, I don't believe. Probably later this year.

The 1/4" click model reticle is accurate on 10x for one Mil 3.6" mildot values and on 12x the value is 3" and 16x 2.5". This is good if true because on 12x & 16x you have even inch/inch - turrets/reticle values which is easier because less math.

GC
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, it has a little ball-detent at 10x to let you find it easier in the dark or without looking at the numbers. This lets you know that you're at 10x for the mil calculations.

That's an awesome feature.

I'm leaning toward the TRS.  If the illuminated LRS was available, or if the non-illuminated model had a tube that I could use with one of my LaRue mounts, (30 or 34mm) I'd probably pick up one of those.  Don't get me wrong, 35mm is awesome, but I don't know if I want to rely on the supplied rings.  Also, the illuminated TRS is $100 less than the non-illuminated LRS.

Speaking of rings, for those of you who have the TRS, what is your opinion of the rings that come with it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The only TRS-1 scope out now is the 1/4" click model. The .1 Mil TRS-1 is not out yet, I don't believe. Probably later this year.

The 1/4" click model reticle is accurate on 10x for one Mil 3.6" mildot values and on 12x the value is 3" and 16x 2.5". This is good if true because on 12x & 16x you have even inch/inch - turrets/reticle values which is easier because less math.

GC

I've been using an awesome app on my iPhone called Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition).  It is incredibly accurate.  Those of you that have iPhones, check it out... it's like $15.00... totally worth it.  Here is some additional info:
http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/.
P.S. If any of you buy it, get the FTE version... the HUD is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm leaning toward the TRS.  If the illuminated LRS was available, or if the non-illuminated model had a tube that I could use with one of my LaRue mounts, (30 or 34mm) I'd probably pick up one of those.  Don't get me wrong, 35mm is awesome, but I don't know if I want to rely on the supplied rings.  Also, the illuminated TRS is $100 less than the non-illuminated LRS.

Speaking of rings, for those of you who have the TRS, what is your opinion of the rings that come with it?

They were decent, but I run multiple optics on my rifle, so I went with LaRue. You can't do any better at any price. The mounts are completely worth the price of admission. If you have pre-ordered a OSR, mark has hinted (Don't quote me on this) that there might be a special OSR mount included in the box. YMMV, check out the threads on the OSR in the LaRue section for more info.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No rings come with the TRS. Only the LRS comes with the rings. My guess would be because the 35MM rings are hard to find.
I also looked at the LRS, that scope is huge!!!! It would look funny on a 16" barreled rifle. You would have to have a rifle like the OSR top rail to even work I would think.

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No rings come with the TRS. Only the LRS comes with the rings. My guess would be because the 35MM rings are hard to find.
I also looked at the LRS, that scope is huge!!!! It would look funny on a 16" barreled rifle. You would have to have a rifle like the OSR top rail to even work I would think.

Yeah, it's pretty big... I'm sure the rings that come with it are high enough to work, & my rifle has a 24" bull barrel... I agree, it would look pretty funny on a 16".

I went ahead and placed my order for the TRS this morning.

[EDIT]
BTW, for those of who are looking for the Butler Creek Flip Up Sizes, they are #43 Objective and #16 Eye
[/EDIT]
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's pretty big... I'm sure the rings that come with it are high enough to work, & my rifle has a 24" bull barrel... I agree, it would look pretty funny on a 16".

BTW, for those of who are looking for the Butler Creek Flip Up Sizes, they are #44 Objective and #16 Eye

I went with a #17 on the eye. And I tried every size for the objective and could not get one to fit. Bushnell owns Butler creek and we tried all of the sizes. I don't like the millet covers because they are to loud. So right now I have the # 17 Butler on the eye and the Millet on the front.

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, for those of who are looking for the Butler Creek Flip Up Sizes, they are #44 Objective and #16 Eye

I went with a #17 on the eye. And I tried every size for the objective and could not get one to fit. Bushnell owns Butler creek and we tried all of the sizes. I don't like the millet covers because they are to loud. So right now I have the # 17 Butler on the eye and the Millet on the front.

The objective covers were either too big or too small??  That's weird.  How tight is your #17?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The objective covers were either too big or too small??  That's weird.  How tight is your #17?

The 17 fits perfect!!  But either to big or to small on the front. I found one but it was way to tight. You could not slid it all the way on. I may go back tomorrow and double check that know will fit. Because the Millett front cover is very loud no matter how you try and open it or close it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The 17 fits perfect!!  But either to big or to small on the front. I found one but it was way to tight. You could not slid it all the way on. I may go back tomorrow and double check that know will fit. Because the Millett front cover is very loud no matter how you try and open it or close it.

Humm...I found those sizes in a couple of posts, but I just found a different one on optics talk from 2007 where someone had the same experience as you, #17 for eye, #43 = too small, #44 = too big.  

The size difference between the #16 & #17 eye is only 0.3mm, so either will probably work, but the difference between the #43 & #44 objective is 1.2mm, so I'm not surprised.  The best solution might be to heat up a #43 and make it fit.

It's probably the same result, but did you try the objective caps on the scope and the sunshade?

It sure would be nice if they would post the scope measurements on their site, or in the manual.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humm...I found those sizes in a couple of posts, but I just found a different one on optics talk from 2007 where someone had the same experience as you, #17 for eye, #43 = too small, #44 = too big.  

The size difference between the #16 & #17 eye is only 0.3mm, so either will probably work, but the difference between the #43 & #44 objective is 1.2mm, so I'm not surprised.  The best solution might be to heat up a #43 and make it fit.

It's probably the same result, but did you try the objective caps on the scope and the sunshade?

It sure would be nice if they would post the scope measurements on their site, or in the manual.

I have tried it on both the objective and sunshade. They appear to be almost identical. I had thought about heating it up a little to get it on, but then I would not be able to take the sunshade on and off very easy. Or I may just always leave the sunshade on. I am not sure, but I may go ahead and pickup the #43 anyway. But I assure you the #17 fits great.

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are the TRS-1 measurements for  Butler Creek caps:

Objective - 59mm - so size 43 is a little small and 44 is a little big. I have a 43 on mine and it's has stretched  out some and it fits good now

Eye - 42.45mm which is the diameter of the fast focus ring and  the tube is a little smaller - size 16 eye is the size I have on mine and it is a nice snug fit. Size 17 is the sized of the fast focus ring and will not fit quite as snug as size 16.

BC cap sizes for LRS-1 is 16 eye and 51 objective.

GC
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here are the TRS-1 measurements for  Butler Creek caps:

Objective - 59mm - so size 43 is a little small and 44 is a little big. I have a 43 on mine and it's has stretched  out some and it fits good now

Eye - 42.45mm which is the diameter of the fast focus ring and  the tube is a little smaller - size 16 eye is the size I have on mine and it is a nice snug fit because the tube is smaller. Size 17 is the sized as the fast focus ring and will not fit quite as snug as size 16.

BC cap sizes for LRS-1 is 16 eye and 51 objective.

GC

I use a slightly stretched #43 and a #16 on my TRS also.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I used a Butler Creek Blizzard on the front. No need to open it when you need to shoot fast. Its not what I would consider sniper friendly though. May as well have a mirror on the front when its closed, but flipped down its fine.

Does anyone have one in a Burris PEPR mount yet. Mine is in an Armalite mount on a YHM riser. I am thinking I want the mount on my DMS instead of rings, and to do away with the riser.
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used a Butler Creek Blizzard on the front. No need to open it when you need to shoot fast. Its not what I would consider sniper friendly though. May as well have a mirror on the front when its closed, but flipped down its fine.

Does anyone have one in a Burris PEPR mount yet. Mine is in an Armalite mount on a YHM riser. I am thinking I want the mount on my DMS instead of rings, and to do away with the riser.

Nope, mine is in a LaRue QD LT-104
Link Posted: 7/16/2009 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is my Rock River Predator Pursuit with a TRS-1 on a Burris PEPR.http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/bobmachus/ar15.jpg
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Got mine today... seems pretty impressive so far.  I can see small inperfections in the glass when looking at dark surfaces, but they're invisible when I'm on target.

Can't wait to take it to the range.

P.S. #43 & #16 Butler Creek caps work great... it was a little bit of a bitch to get the #43 on, but it fits great now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I took mine back and exchanged since the #2 setting was not working. I also picked up a #43 but have notput it on yet.

Still waiting for my OSR to put it on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I took mine back and exchanged since the #2 setting was not working. I also picked up a #43 but have notput it on yet.

#2 setting?  Oh, on your illumination.  Cool, you're lucky to live so close to the factory.  When is LaRue going to start shipping OSRs?

For some reason, none of the paperwork was included in my box, (manual, warranty, & specification sheet)... Yes, I see the bottom part of the box that you remove to locate it, but nothing is there.

I found an old manual on Millett's site, but it has a lot of info pertaining to the gen 1-3 scope in it.  My question is, after zeroing the scope, how do you set the come-up counter back to the first line if it's way off from the factory setting?  (The original scope didn't have the come-up counter, so it isn't covered).

[edit]I noticed they also have the LRS-1 manual on their site, so I looked there & it says nothing about resetting the come-up counter after zeroing the scope...  Looks like it isn't possible, which is fine... you just have to remember how many lines are visible at zero (hopefully I'll luck out and it'll be close out of the box).[/edit]
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

#2 setting?  Oh, on your illumination.  Cool, you're lucky to live so close to the factory.  When is LaRue going to start shipping OSRs?

For some reason, none of the paperwork was included in my box, (manual, warranty, & specification sheet)... Yes, I see the bottom part of the box that you remove to locate it, but nothing is there.

I found an old manual on Millett's site, but it has a lot of info pertaining to the gen 1-3 scope in it.  My question is, after zeroing the scope, how do you set the come-up counter back to the first line if it's way off from the factory setting?  (The original scope didn't have the come-up counter, so it isn't covered).

[edit]I noticed they also have the LRS-1 manual on their site, so I looked there & it says nothing about resetting the come-up counter after zeroing the scope...  Looks like it isn't possible, which is fine... you just have to remember how many lines are visible at zero (hopefully I'll luck out and it'll be close out of the box).[/edit]

The manual that is online is the same old manual that came on the box. They have never updated the manual. Things like this still remind you it is a cheap scope.

Link Posted: 7/21/2009 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The manual that is online is the same old manual that came on the box. They have never updated the manual. Things like this still remind you it is a cheap scope.

Very true... I'm sure the Bushnell buy-out didn't help with these areas either.  It's still a small sacrifice for what you get for the money. I'm still pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think they're resettable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's a picture of my current build with my TRS-1 on it... Just waiting on my Krieger Varmatch barrel & it's done!

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Here is my Rock River Predator Pursuit with a TRS-1 on a Burris PEPR.http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/bobmachus/ar15.jpg

That things almost as long as your rifle
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, with the sunshade it's about 1" shorter than the handguard... it's massive.  I have a 26" Krieger Varmatch on the way... it won't look that huge for long.
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, with the sunshade it's about 1" shorter than the handguard... it's massive.  I have a 26" Krieger Varmatch on the way.. it won't look that huge for long

I tell my wife that all the time....

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, with the sunshade it's about 1" shorter than the handguard... it's massive.  I have a 26" Krieger Varmatch on the way.. it won't look that huge for long

I tell my wife that all the time....

Wow, holy necro post... good job! Thanks for that relevant info!!!

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Just ordered the Millett TRS-1 for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 - am anxious to get it mounted and to the range.   This thread is about the only info I've been able to find on Millett scopes on AR15.com.   The info thus far has been very helpful.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here's a picture of my current build with my TRS-1 on it... Just waiting on my Krieger Varmatch barrel & it's done!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2443/3744017943_ca68281335_b.jpg

And and Iphone dock...

Nice Build!!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top