Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2009 7:08:38 PM EDT
First of all, I'm sure there are already threads about this, so I'm sorry to be duplicating efforts here. This is my first post.

I just bought an Aimpoint CompM3 for my Smith & Wesson M&P15T, and I'm trying to decide what mount to use. The ARMS throw lever mount looks tempting, but the truth is I'm totally ignorant about this, and I'm hoping for some wisdom. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue Tactical

/thread
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Larue Tactical

/thread

Click here for the LT649

Link Posted: 6/21/2009 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]

+1 Larue, but I may go with the LT-150 as it's a solid mount.  The above mount is more for the 3X magnifier/NVGs.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1011698%20200.JPG
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]

My LaRue Cantilever LT-129 QD mount

Another +1 for LaRue Aimpoint QD mounts.

If you plan on NOT using a magnifier later on the LaRue LT-150 standard straight mount as shown above would be great.

I use an Aimpoint magnifier sometimes so I went with the LaRue LT-129 cantilever QD mount, it gives me more room for my magnifier and maybe some other NV optics in the future.

LaRue Tactical Cantilever LT-129 QD Mount - link

Link Posted: 6/22/2009 6:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting%206X4/j980hz-1.jpg

If you plan on NOT using a magnifier later on the LaRue LT-150 standard straight mount as shown above would be great.

I use an Aimpoint magnifier sometimes so I went with the LaRue LT-129 cantilever QD mount, it gives me more room for my magnifier and maybe some other NV optics in the future.

I have the LT-129 also and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
+3 Get the LT129.  It's the best option, as it provides lower 1/3 cowitness, and leaves room for irons and a magnifier.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/22/2009 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#7]
LT-150 here... No reason not to go with the best...
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
LaRue Tactical.

LT-150.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Wilcox.

I don't understand the need for a throw lever Aimpoint mount.  If the sight were to fail, you can still see the irons through it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+3 Get the LT129.  It's the best option, as it provides lower 1/3 cowitness, and leaves room for irons and a magnifier.

Quoted:
Quoted:

+4  for the LT-129.
Rock solid.  Can't go wrong with the LT-150 either... but the LT-129 leaves room for a mag or NV set up as well... so the LT-129 it is for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wilcox.

I don't understand the need for a throw lever Aimpoint mount.  If the sight were to fail, you can still see the irons through it.

Same here. Not to mention the Wilcox weighs next to nothing.

Link Posted: 6/22/2009 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wilcox.

Same here. Not to mention the Wilcox weighs next to nothing.

Ever tried to look through shattered glass?

Wait, I guess the tacti-cool answer would be to clear out the glass with your knife.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wait, I guess the tacti-cool answer would be to clear out the glass with your knife.

I'm sorry to disappoint you there, hi-speed, but if I find myself in a situation where I need to rip my shot-through Aimpoint off my rifle in mere seconds to make that saving shot with irons to repel the zombie horde and save the princess... Well I'll probably just roll over and hit the snooze button.

Not to speak for him, but how did markm's or my replies in any way indicate that we are mega-awesome-parachute-shock troops like yourself (or maybe we are) that have a *genuine need* to QD their RDS?

To quote a friend: "You might not want to jump from zero to douche when it might be possible that the other person is on the same sheet of music as yourself."
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess fo rme, having a QD and not needing it is better then the other way around.... plus back in the day, all that was available was QD (AImpoints mount, ARMS and then LaRue)
But I would not have a problem running the new Danile Defense mount. I think it boils down to personnel choice and what you need to have or do.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry to disappoint you there, hi-speed, but if I find myself in a situation where I need to rip my shot-through Aimpoint off my rifle in mere seconds to make that saving shot with irons to repel the zombie horde and save the princess... Well I'll probably just roll over and hit the snooze button.

Not to speak for him, but how did markm's or my replies in any way indicate that we are mega-awesome-parachute-shock troops like yourself (or maybe we are) that have a *genuine need* to QD their RDS?

To quote a friend: "You might not want to jump from zero to douche when it might be possible that the other person is on the same sheet of music as yourself."

You stated that you did not understand the need. I pointed out a situation that warrants a "need". No need to get defensive about it.

Oh yeah and bullets aren't the only thing that can break glass.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Um... I like having a QD mount so that I can shoot with Irons on a whim... and not have to worry one bit about re-zero'ing my optic...

even if this wasn't the reason, I'd still have Larue...
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Or you could take the back of the knife blade and unscrew the mount.  If you were in a position where you were taking incoming fire, you probably wouldn't have time to do either.

Beyond the beauty of the Wilcox mount, I can only support one mentally unstable company at a time.  I used that option on AAC, so I can't support LaRue!
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#18]
C'mon fella's, put you pee pee's back in your pant pant's.

To the OP, I +5 to the LT- 129, not only for the reasons stated below but also because you can store a spare battery in the watertight compartment as well.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Beyond the beauty of the Wilcox mount, I can only support one mentally unstable company at a time.  I used that option on AAC, so I can't support LaRue!

plus you can only use one high-speed product at a time, and you used that up on magpul followers.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

plus you can only use one high-speed product at a time, and you used that up on magpul followers.....

That's true too!  I have to use black followers if I run anything high speed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm

Let me think for a minute.

When I turn my upper receiver upside down while cleaning and and spray gunk remover all over everything do I really want that crap running all over my optic?

Would I like the optic to return to zero when I put it back on?

There's one reason.

Oh an dI really like the Bobro cantilever mount
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I ended up ordering a Larue LT-150 –– wouldn't have known about it without your advice!
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hmmm

Let me think for a minute.

When I turn my upper receiver upside down while cleaning and and spray gunk remover all over everything do I really want that crap running all over my optic?

I don't spray things on my weapons.  So that's not an issue for me.

Would I like the optic to return to zero when I put it back on?

There's one reason.

Twist on mounts don't return to zero?

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I ended up ordering a Larue LT-150 –– wouldn't have known about it without your advice!

Excellent choice... Please report back once you receive your mount!
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twist on mounts don't return to zero?

Is it your contention that a Bobro is a twist on mount??
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is it your contention that a Bobro is a twist on mount??

No.  What I'm asking (and I'm not being sarcastic because I really don't know) is do mounts that you hand twist the knob on like a QRP or Wilcox not hold repeatable zero?

In other words, does the throw lever design hold better zero?
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speaking of mentally unstable, it's good to see we have AAC's oral jockstrap back.  

HEY!

What are you talking about?  I'm not AAC's bitchboy.  I think they have a good product, but I'm no lacky of those guys.  I think their shinannigans are just as ridiculous as yours.  I'm the last person to blindly "fanboy" any company.

I think AAC is equally as nutty as you, man!  I don't get free shit from anyone to promote product.  So if those dicks at AAC want to play dodge ball while thier website sits unfinished for the upteenth month, I'll call the nonsense out!  

AAC makes good stuff.  LaRue obviously makes good stuff too based on the widespread reputation.  When I pick out something, I will buy regardless of the lunacy of the pricipal of the company if the product is good.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from LaRue if I needed a product.  I just don't need anything that LaRue makes at this time.  I was joking about not supporting more than one nut at a time.  I'm sure I'll buy LaRue gear at some point in my shooting life.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#30]
That's all cute.

I'm more concerned about how I became AAC jock whatever?

If you piss me off bad enough, I'll buy a LaRue mount just to prove I'm not an AAC shill.  And THAT will teach you a lesson.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well done

I love 'em:

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That's all cute.

I'm more concerned about how I became AAC jock whatever?

If you piss me off bad enough, I'll buy a LaRue mount just to prove I'm not an AAC shill. And THAT will teach you a lesson.
Why did you run over to ST and start a thread over this?

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Cuz it's friggin funny.  If there were any truth to it, it wouldn't be so funny.  How I became AAC's bitchboy I'll never know.  I'm simply an AAC customer, but I don't shill their stuff.  

Maybe LaRue is mad because I posted that I wanted to go to SHOT for the sole purpose of seeing him get hauled off in a straight jacket?
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1 Larue, but I may go with the LT-150 as it's a solid mount.  The above mount is more for the 3X magnifier/NVGs.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1011698%20200.JPG

That's what I've got my M3 mounted in.

Big +1 for LaRue!
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cuz it's friggin funny.  If there were any truth to it, it wouldn't be so funny.  How I became AAC's bitchboy I'll never know.  I'm simply an AAC customer, but I don't shill their stuff.  

Maybe LaRue is mad because I posted that I wanted to go to SHOT for the sole purpose of seeing him get hauled off in a straight jacket?

Perhaps mentioning AAC and LaRue in the same sentence.. and stating you won't use LaRue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I have the aimpoint QRP mount only because Midway had an incredible deal: CompC sight and mount for only $388. Now just the aimpoint alone costs more than that, and another $100 for the mount.

It has a twist knob to remove the sight and mount, and I have removed the unit multiple times, and it has maintained zero.  Last trip out, I actually removed the unit, and moved it further back on the rails, and it still maintained zero.  My only complaint is the large knob sticking out on the left side of my M4, and I will eventually got to a LaRue or Brobo.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top