Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2009 6:52:35 AM EDT
Does anyone own or have any experience with the  Sig Sauer iTAC STS-081 Mini Red Dot Sight ?

Like to hear opinions pro or con. Considering putting one on my carbine length AR.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Made in China.  Spend a bit more for a used Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Made in China.  Spend a bit more for a used Aimpoint.

I guess he is a retailer!

I think the guy wants to know how it functions, performance practical usage, not where its maufactured.  And whats a little bit more?  I saw the red dot at Botach for 149.00, say I add $400.00 more to get the Aimpoint version that is not a bit more by no means.

Anyway I hope someone can answer the question for Big Cat's sake.

Link Posted: 5/27/2009 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got the Sig STS-081, and we've been comparing it to the new Konus Pro Atomic over at calguns.  They appear to be the exact same sight, with small differences (Konus battery and W/E covers are aluminum, Sig are plastic, Konus mounting screw is big with a nut, Sig is a smaller hex screw).  The Konus runs about $90.  The Sig is also the same as the ITAC (who are owned by Sig).

I haven't tested the Sig much yet, but it's Chinese, the spec battery life of 8000 hours is on setting 1, which is only useful with NV on mine, and the "limited lifetime" warranty is limited to the original purchaser.  I'd be unhappy to spend $150-250 on a $90 Chinese red dot.

Link Posted: 5/27/2009 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It's still a bit more than I think I would spend.  My 10/22 could use something other then the Tasco red dot it currently has.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Piece of junk, one came with my 556 Classic, can't even get it on paper at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Just incase anyone was wondering.....

If you want use the Larue micro base with the Sig unit, it can be done with slight modification.

First, for some reason they glue the optic and its base together. You can split them apart with a small precision flathead screwdriver.

Second, you need to fit the lug under the optic to the recess on the base. For this I removed material from the optic not the base. The screwholes and the screw thread pitchs do match up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you want use the Larue micro base with the Sig unit, it can be done with slight modification.

First, for some reason they glue the optic and its base together. You can split them apart with a small precision flathead screwdriver.

Second, you need to fit the lug under the optic to the recess on the base. For this I removed material from the optic not the base. The screwholes and the screw thread pitchs do match up.

The mount is worth more than the sight, lol!

same sight as the sig
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The problem with buying an ebay copycat sight (complete with fake Aimpoint logo) is that the warranty support is essentially non-existent.  You'd have support from "lil doraemon", a Professional Supplier in Hong Kong, for what that's worth.

The Konus version is available from Midway for $20 more (less if Midway shipping is less than $13), and you not only don't get the Aimpoint copyright infringement, but you get much better support and warranty, both from Midway and from Konus.  I don't know if the Konus is any better, or any different, from the ebay sight (I'd have to have one in hand to say), but I'd pay an extra $20 for the warranty, even if you didn't care about the copyright infringement.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=318955
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The mount is worth more than the sight, lol!

Your mathmatical skills serve you well.

People said the same thing back when they would use an ARMS ring with a Tacpoint.

Anyway, to get a co-witness with you Sig 556 sights you need a 1/4 riser. The Larue low profile mounts fit the bill.

To my knowledge, there are no 1/4 risers made except for eotechs.

Please advise if you know of another solution.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#13]
It may be the same sight made in the same factory as Primary Arms - it's hard to tell without seeing one, but this is often the case with Chinese optics.

The Primary Arms sight doesn't have a removable base, and requires a riser to get to the correct height for an AR.  The threads on it discuss this.

The Konus and Sig (and many of the cheap ebay versions) have a removable base similar to the T1/H1, but it's glued in place, as was mentioned above.  It's easy enough to split off, and can be used with T1 mounts.  Some of them may require mods to fit correctly, since there's no standard for this.

If anyone has a Primary Arms T1 look-alike and can take a picture of the circuit board beneath the battery, I'd like to get a look at that.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I heard the SIG sight was made in Israel, not China.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Read the sticker on the botom. Made in China. I dont think they put the sticker on there as a joke.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the sticker on the botom. Made in China. I dont think they put the sticker on there as a joke.

Thanks for clearing that up.  As I said, it was hearsay.  Just repeating what I read on SIGforum.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clearing that up.  As I said, it was hearsay.  Just repeating what I read on SIGforum.

Yea there is some funny stuff going on over there at Sig.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The Sig sight is imported by ITAC, which is owned by Sig.  The sell the same sight with the ITAC brand on it.
http://itacdefense.com/home.aspx

They also import Israeli plastic gear, similar to Fobus, which is where people get the Israeli connection, but all their optics appear to be Chinese.

Dunno what the heck Sig is thinking, putting their name on this stuff.  It's not total junk or anything, but Sig used to be a pretty well respected name for well above average quality.  My Sig Mosquito is a pretty cheap piece of gear - mostly plastic and zinc, with mediocre accuracy - so I guess it's the same people at work.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
One came with my Sig P556 (now SBR) and I decided to keep it on. It seems to hold a zero fine after a few hundred rounds. The only problem is that is rides very low. I have Troy front and rear flip-up BattleSights on the rifle so I also used a 1/2 inch YHM riser. It makes the cowitness possible and cost about $22 with shipping. It is almost like it was made for this red dot sight.

I don't know how rugged it is or will be, but it seems well built.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top