Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:34:39 AM EDT
Ellis Optics Mk-7

^ ACOG TA11 and the Mk-7 ^

^ Mounted ^

This isn't out yet but it'll be a great piece when it arrives!   C'mon Ed, tell us when its coming out!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting. So Ellis Optics is the new iteration of GRSC? Hopefully some shots of this "flat tire" reticle are forthcoming. Looks as though the lowest 5 illumination settings are red, while the highest 5 are green, which sounds like a pretty good idea.

Edit: Hmmm.... Looks like they are separate companies, GRSC being in CA and Ellis being in FL. Also looks as though Ellis is pretty new, or at least new to the internet. It almost appears to me that Ellis picked up Ed's M4-62 reticle and started making 35mm scopes with it. Looks promising.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
tagging this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ed is working with Ellis on this project to get his reticle in an optic that performs to his standards, from what I understand
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on battery life, I'd say that this could be the scope to beat in the variable scope market. Let's see once this sucker is released.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased the Burris XTR-14 until this one comes out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about the 4.5 inches of eye relief needed.  That would seem to put that scope way up on ther receiver.  I tend to naturally shoot NTCH.... hmmmm...

Any other thoughts about that?  I've already read a lot of people seem to be griping about the Accupoint for the same reason.  I'll defer however to more experienced members.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure about the 4.5 inches of eye relief needed.  That would seem to put that scope way up on ther receiver.  I tend to naturally shoot NTCH.... hmmmm...

Any other thoughts about that?  I've already read a lot of people seem to be griping about the Accupoint for the same reason.  I'll defer however to more experienced members.

Wow I just noticed that. And if I'm reading all the stats correctly you cant even put it in a SPR-E mount as they only come in 34mm not 35mm. I shoot NTCH and the accupoint was just a little too much eye relief for me so this might not be so good after all. I will have to wait for a review and some real world testing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure about the 4.5 inches of eye relief needed. That would seem to put that scope way up on ther receiver. I tend to naturally shoot NTCH.... hmmmm...

Any other thoughts about that? I've already read a lot of people seem to be griping about the Accupoint for the same reason. I'll defer however to more experienced members.

Wow I just noticed that. And if I'm reading all the stats correctly you cant even put it in a SPR-E mount as they only come in 34mm not 35mm. I shoot NTCH and the accupoint was just a little too much eye relief for me so this might not be so good after all. I will have to wait for a review and some real world testing.

Yeah, I'm not super experienced with "scope-type" optics so I wasn't sure that it was an issue or not.  It seems to be though I think.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
ADM's 35mm Recon mounts should work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Any ideas on release dates or pricing?

Their website doesn't say much
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have continuous rail on my M&P, but I'm just not crazy about having the scope sit so far out on the rifle.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Their guy on the phone said "30-60 days.. hopefully."

Technically, is this the GSRC version 2 scope since the Millet DMS-1 was version 1?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Technically, is this the GSRC version 2 scope since the Millet DMS-1 was version 1?

Ed is still going to produce a 1-4x CRS in addition to this optic (<~Ed tagged it the PCRS).  The new 1-4x (Gen 2) is shorter than the previous CRS and in the process of being field tested.  Both should hopefully be out soon.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting looking scope but 4.5 inches of eye relief on 1x blows chunks on an AR.
It drops to 3.5x on 4x, so your eye relief chances 1 inch as you power up/down.
If they had dropped the eye relief to 3.5 inches on 1x it would have been only 2.5 on 4x.
Looks like a good scope, I like the reticle being in the First Focal plane.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think I saw in another thread that it was priced around $1K

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
What's a flat tire reticle?

For $1000 (roughly) I'd like to see this side by side with the Trijicon Accupoint 1x4 line (at around $900).
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Flat tire/Horseshoe reticle.  Its the GRSC M4-62 reticle.  I'm not positive that this is the same reticle that is going to be in the Mk-7
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Daytime visible ret?
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#19]
the previous 1-4x, no.  I'm unsure about the Mk-7 but I imagine green will be fairly easy to see.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm... looks very interesting.

I don't shoot NTCH (USMC Trained) so the eye relief doesn't concern me greatly.

Eagerly awaiting more information.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
from another thread here:
price point around $1k
flat tire = horse shoe
1-6 available summer time

the 1-4 is in production at a SKorean Mnftr, no word yet on product availability. see other thread. GRCS couldn't find anyone stateside that would produce a scope with his reticle so he got a Chinese place to do it with poor to mixed results. Then he went with SK with better results quality-wise.

the 1-6 version from GRCS is being made by Ellis. Ed wanted a high quality scope and this was the only American Company willing to take on his project.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Its a really heavy optic and it will require a SPR-E style mount if Larue makes one or the longer ADM mount and those are also they heaviest one piece optic mounts.

Optic will be 20oz and mount about 6oz.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#23]
There are also issues with ultra-compact scopes fitting in different mounts.  There's not much room between the eyepiece and turret cluster, and not a lot of scope sticking out the front either.  Considering the small selection of mounts in this tube size, that may be a problem - it's not obvious that the Recon X would fit this scope.

I'd really like to see them giving the dimensions and spacing on their website.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They come in 30mm, I just bought one a couple months back and put my XTR-14 in it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have continuous rail on my M&P, but I'm just not crazy about having the scope sit so far out on the rifle.  

Your M&P15T is not a true MRP; You'd still want to stick with an SPR-E mount.
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#25]
*Bump*

Any new info on this scope?  I always have to wipe drool off my keyboard when I look at this thing
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They come in 30mm, I just bought one a couple months back and put my XTR-14 in it.

He means Larue's largest size is a 34mm. The Ellis optics scope is a 35mm.
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your M&P15T is not a true MRP; You'd still want to stick with an SPR-E mount.

But a 30mm or 34mm mount doesnt mean s**t when you have a 35mm optic. You get
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the update Ed.  (patiently waiting like a good ARFCOMer)
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#30]
waiting as well
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Any news?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Any more updates?  I called to get on the waiting list for the MK-7, they told me to send an e-mail, I did and got no response.  Just wondering if it's still a Go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bennie Cooley is also working on a 35mm mount.  I have seen the prototype.  It looks G2G.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I design products and then have them produced. I designed the horseshoe reticule and presented the concept to many different scope  companies.All of them have rejected my design, so I've had to go it on my own.

Have you talked to Deon (March) - they have recently started making a 1-10x24 tactical scope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you talked to Deon (March) - they have recently started making a 1-10x24 tactical scope.

That looks like a winner!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks like a winner!!

Yes I have talked with them several times, same story not interested in my reticle. I agree from what I've seen and heard about the 1-10 this could be the best thing yet.

Ed
GRSC Inc

I finally found this............$2500 .......wow
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#40]
2500 BUCKS!!!!!  Ill pass I dont believe there is an optic on the planet worth that.
But they do look sweet.

AL
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2500 BUCKS!!!!!  Ill pass I dont believe there is an optic on the planet worth that.
But they do look sweet.

AL

No scope on the planet worth that? ALL the best sniper optics cost that much or more.  

Good glass and durable construction
FFP
Illuminated reticel
Adj Parallax
Milling reticle

Go find me one that does not cost that much or more... all the best medium range variables cost 1500-2200.  That price is just MSRP too.  What it will sell for eventually is not going to be out of line for what the scope is trying to compete with.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#42]
I agree with Cavitation.  Most of us can't justify a $2500 optic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#43]
neat stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
But they do look sweet.

AL

Sorry but Quality Costs $$$ and often, you get what you pay for.

There are several scopes from U.S. Optics, S&B, Zeiss, and Premier Reticle that cost that much.

Tactical scopes are built to demanding tolerances and durability specs that Most People will never need.  Some folks purchase them to ensure that all others things being equal, their optic won't be the source of any issues.  For many folks, the cheaper $$ optics will usually work just fine.  Others want a higher quality optic and understand that "there is No Free Lunch".

I had a DMS-1 break on me just recently from a short fall.  None of my Leupolds or USO scopes have failed after enduring far more use and abuse.  The DMS-1 will be replaced by a quality optic I can depend on.

Buy Once, Cry Once.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm a little confused.  which is $2500?  the Ellis or this other 1-10x?  I was under the impression that the Ellis was going to be around $1k and their website says call for pricing.  I'm not sure where $2500 is coming from, unless someone called and confirmed it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Do not get me wrong I wish I could afford a NF Ziess etc. But do they really cost that much to produce a top quality optic? I do not think so. Again do not get me wrong capitalism is a great thing If they can sell them at that price good for them. How long before obama can get his grubby paws into it and every other company that is making a profit. Till I win the Mega Bucks Ill have to stick with Luepold and Bushnell or even cheaper ones.

AL

This is the $2500 dollar one
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I like the fact that the Ellis is a monster starting at a 35mm tube with a 28mm objective.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#48]
$2500 optic that's worth it.

$3200 optic that's worth it.

Cavitation, there definitely are optics that are worth that kind of money and there are people out there who buy them. Going from 1x to 10x is quite a feat optically. I don't know if any other scope does that. Now whether or not March's build quality is there to justify the price, that's another story.

I can't wait to see Ed's latest and greatest. Hopefully, the final product will be a high quality unit. Ed, have you tried contacting US Optics?
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#49]
What is the status on the Ellis Mk-7 1-6x?
Is it available?
Can we get a review from someone who owns the scope or has had extended use of it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What is the status on the Ellis Mk-7 1-6x?
Is it available?
Can we get a review from someone who owns the scope or has had extended use of it?

This...........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top