BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2008 6:21:32 AM EDT
I'm seriously thinking of just going back to irons on my carbine. It seems like I'm not satisfied with any of the choices that  

Had an Aimpoint and I thought I needed some magnification so I got rid of it.

Had an IOR 4x scope but didn't really like the eye relief or reticle (Dragunov)

Had an IOR 3x25 that I liked but I didn't like how low it mounted.  My front sight base obstructed the FOV

Had an ACOG TA11.  Liked it but could not get it zeroed.  Sent it back to Trijicon and they said there was nothing wrong with it.  It was still shooting about 2" high at 100 yards.

Can't use a Eotech because of my astigmatism.  

Currently have a Millett DMS-1 but its just a bit big and I'm not really sure if its what i was looking for.

Anyone else so go through this with optics?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 Aimpoints, 2 Leupold Tactical scopes w/ Mil-dots & turrets, 1 ACOG TA01 NSN, and 1 EoTech and have no complaints even though I'm blind and one eye and can't see outta the other without correction.

You have a real problem in my estimation.....

mike
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I may nitpick optics and be really picky but ANYTHING is better than irons.  You had an Aimpoint and got rid of it becasue you wanted magnification... get a magnifier for it instead.

Or you could spend your optic money toward Lasik eye surgery.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I still shoot IRONS

but my aimpoint & Iffytech  is still mounted
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Patience my friend...

... patience.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Patience my friend...

img110.imageshack.us/img110/4175/scope1x6lz4.jpg

... patience.

So what is that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Patience my friend...

... patience.

So what is that?

www.ellisoptics.com/TemplateOmega.aspx + =
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Will be interesting but do we know:

Is the 1X really 1X?

Is the green really daytime bright?

Battery life?

Quality of glass?

Is it really 20oz without a mount?  Thats heavy compare to a Swarovski 1-6X thats only 16-17 oz.

Price?

Any reticle choices other than 62 grain to be offered?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Will be interesting but do we know:

Is the 1X really 1X?

Is the green really daytime bright?

Battery life?

Quality of glass?

Is it really 20oz without a mount?  Thats heavy compare to a Swarovski 1-6X thats only 16-17 oz.

Price?

Any reticle choices other than 62 grain to be offered?

(646) 872-7014

Give them a call & let us know.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Had an Aimpoint and I thought I needed some magnification so I got rid of it.

Did you consider adding a magnifier behind it?

Had an IOR 3x25 that I liked but I didn't like how low it mounted.  My front sight base obstructed the FOV

Not familiar with this optic, but how was it mounted?  Sounds like your issue was with the mount rather than the optic itself...

Currently have a Millett DMS-1 but its just a bit big and I'm not really sure if its what i was looking for.

I guess the real question here is...what ARE you looking for?  You went through all of this without stating what you really wanted out of the optic.  I have a DMS on my "trunk gun", and for a $200 optic it isn't bad.  However, if it were a more "serious" setup I'd want something with better glass.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#10]
NYPatriot,

Is that the 1-6x scope?  If so do remember what the pricing will be?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
NYPatriot,

Is that the 1-6x scope?  If so do remember what the pricing will be?

Yes... 1-6x. Price is going to be in the 1K range (give or take).
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Patience my friend...

... patience.

So what is that?

www.ellisoptics.com/TemplateOmega.aspx + photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/GRSC-001.jpg =

that looks like that reticle Mueller tried in their 1-4 that they didn't end up making

The claim it (or some of it) is made in the US

edit-Oh 1k sounds like it was made here, is the glass US also?

Yup... it's the Mueller reticle. He finally found a U.S. optics company to make his scope.

www.ellisoptics.com/company.aspx
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I emailed a bunch of questions... will report back when they answer.  Looks like an amazing scope if it is not misrepresented.  Has every feature I ever wanted... maybe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hope it works better than the one I "tested"

I thought the circle was kind of small for fast shooting but I only got three rounds through it

Who is "he"? I thought a bunch of guys here worked on that design?

edit maybe it wasn't I guess it was as big as an aimpoint dot

Are you saying the 1-6 Omega broke after 3 rounds when you tested it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Very interested in this Ellis Optics product.

DevL - please do report back.  Maybe start a new thread with a dedicated title?

I hope this means LaRue will finally build a fucking 35mm SPR mount.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Since Larue mounts get higher with increased ring diameter I am hoping for a hybrid SPR-S SPR-E mount that is both long and low with a 10 MOA cant and in 35mm... one can dream.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Since Larue mounts get higher with increased ring diameter I am hoping for a hybrid SPR-S SPR-E mount that is both long and low with a 10 MOA cant and in 35mm... one can dream.

At this point I'd buy an ADM 35mm mount . . .
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At this point I'd buy an ADM 35mm mount . . .

Do they make one?
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I went through it.  I have more problems than most because I had the bottom part of my right eye shot out with a triple cookoff from a hot M-60, then got an incurable but treatable eye disease.

I need a red dot for quick acquizition and magnification for anything over 100 meters.  I put a MeOpta K Dot on my M-4 and it rocks.
I have a Leupold 2.5-8 on my Arms Tech USR with a J Point on it.

One son loves his Aimpoint the other the EOTech.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Do they make one?

Not that I know of . . . more wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Gee.. another wonder scope.....

Magnification is the crutch that the majority of shooters use who can't apply the basic fundamentals of marksmen-ship..

That is why you see folks put such big ass scopes on a Carbine (kinda defeats the purpose)and then they still ask why they can't shoot less then 1MOA with GI Ball ammo of a bench...

Stick with the Aimpoint.. and get a magnifier if you HAVE to have magnification.

Fancy optics will not make you a better shooter... you going out and practicing and spending time going over the basics again and again and again will...
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Magnification is the crutch that the majority of shooters use who can't apply the basic fundamentals of marksmen-ship..

That is why you see folks put such big ass scopes on a Carbine (kinda defeats the purpose)and then they still ask why they can't shoot less then 1MOA with GI Ball ammo of a bench...

Stick with the Aimpoint.. and get a magnifier if you HAVE to have magnification.

Fancy optics will not make you a better shooter... you going out and practicing and spending time going over the basics again and again and again will...

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#27]
HELL YES!

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Horseshit.  Optics get the best out of a particular platform.  Denny Hansen used a big optic in the April issue of SWAT when he wanted to find out just how accurate the Arms Tech USR is and I am putting a bigger one on that rifle because it will allow a LEO to make an eyeball shot at 100 meters every time they pull the trigger.
On my M-4 I use the MeOpta because of an eye injury.  Both son's who have good vision use the Aimpoint and EOTech respectively.
Optics put old folks back into the game.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#30]
i went through the same thing........until i bought the TA31 ACOG.

damn i love that thing.......
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Threefeathers

Horseshit. Optics get the best out of a particular platform. Denny Hansen used a big optic in the April issue of SWAT when he wanted to find out just how accurate the Arms Tech USR is and I am putting a bigger one on that rifle because it will allow a LEO to make an eyeball shot at 100 meters every time they pull the trigger.
On my M-4 I use the MeOpta because of an eye injury. Both son's who have good vision use the Aimpoint and EOTech respectively.
Optics put old folks back into the game.

Call Horseshit all you want.. but it's true..

Now Red dots will get old eyes back in the game...

and just how many LEO are in a scenarios requiring Eyeball shots at 100M...

Lets be real.. Most Guys carrying a patrol rifle barely have the skill to use it on a good day..

Optics don't make you a better shot... shooting does.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Very few LEO's are going to make any shot.  We are marketing the USR for the SWAT team that will have to.  One reason it was in SWAT mag.
I was a proponent of iron sights for many years and scoffed at the pics of guys in the original invasion of Iraq that were using optics.  I hadn't tried them.
It was my son's who introduced me and now I'm convinced that optics allow the rifle to hit it's potential
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Magnification is the crutch that the majority of shooters use who can't apply the basic fundamentals of marksmen-ship...

WTF.O? - Crutch?

Sorry, brah - my eyes are gettin' old, and I'll piss off the chief a lot less if I make sure it's a gun, and not a cellphone in the fooker's hand before I pull the trigger.
BTW, "marksmanship" is ONE word....
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I took a rifle I didnt really know the zero for and had never used and shot steel human sihlouettes yesterday at 440 yards yesterday way back in the woods with some guestimated hold over and Kentucky windage and hit it with my first 2 shots using a basic chrome lined M4 barrel and Q3131A.  The optic was an Aimpoint T1.

Does that mean its going to allow me to use every last bit of ability the rifle has to offer or ID targets at longer ranges?  Someone had to point the target out to me way back in the forest to even see it.  With the Meopta at 4X if was far easier to see.  I also had to use glasses with astigmatism correction to be able to get a decent aiming point with the T1.  

Optics allow better ID of the target, better sight picture for distant targets for more precise aiming, and allow bad eyes to shoot more precisely.  I want to get everything out of my rifle I can and a simple Aimpoint will never allow that.  All I need to do is shoot for groups on paper to prove to me that I can shoot better with glass because I can simply see what is going on much better.

Magnification may be a crutch for bad eyes but it is just not a crutch for bad shooters.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Actually using an optic makes one use superior technique.  Optic bounce caused by an unstable hold, improper breathing, and jerking the trigger will cause the rifle to be off target.  
Yhe optic will assist in finding the target and determining if the target is a hreat but proper shooting technique are imperitive no matter what.

I have to laugh at young whippersnappers giving the same arguments to me I gave to the WW2 vets who had gone to optics.  I deserve them.  Gad did I think I was so superior.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I couldn't agree more that most people , myself included , would benefit more (that reads "shoot better" with more practice. That said however, this past weekend I was out shooting my new build, (16" krieger recon") with a vx-lll, 1.5 x 5, and my old eyes dispite my best efforts could not shoot a sub moa group at 100 yards even though at 50 yards I could shoot one hole groups. The simple problem was I could not see well enough at 100 yards.  The solution is more/better glass for my old eyes.    
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#38]
If optics are bullshit, why even have a red dot.With my age and eyesight optics are needed not just wanted. My glasses are set up to focus on the front sight of my handgun. The weapon I'll in all probability have if I actually need it. So my corrected vision is right at 20/30-35.Lack of marksmanship my ass. Some of us either want or need magnification. Doesnt really matter which now does it. The reality is he wants it. So are you just running your mouth to feel better or what.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#39]
No one is saying Optics are worthless

What I'm saying is folks use them for a crutch to make up for poor marksmenship.
Lot's of old geezers on the line at Camp Perry still shooting with irons just fine. Most shooters as they get old will struggle with Irons and switching to Optics will help them..

and as for Red dots.. they have no Magnification hero... so it's a much easier to align one point of reference to the target (Dot) then two (Front sight post/Rear sight aperture)
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#40]
A magnified optic (to me) is no different than a red dot. One thing to line up instead of two. I do agree with you that some people us them as a crutch. And I have one rifle that is set up with irons exclusively. Just so I can shoot with them. But the OP said he was thinking about going back to irons. Which to me means he already started out with them. Do I have red dots, yes I do. But because of my eyesight center mass hits past 200 mtrs. Are kinda iffy. Magnification also helps with target ID.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Also,shooting at buff colored targets against dirt backstops (for me ) equals having a hard time distinguishing the target from the backround at distance. Rust colcred plates also cause issues. Also engagement speed with precision (again for me ) is substantially better. Hero, HUH, been a while since I've been called that Thanx
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Why do you guys even use irons or any sighting system? Shoot, you're all just using that as crutch against poor telepathic bullet projection skills.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Patience my friend...

... patience.

So what is that?

www.ellisoptics.com/TemplateOmega.aspx + photos.imageevent.com/smglee/cltactical/huge/GRSC-001.jpg =

that looks like that reticle Mueller tried in their 1-4 that they didn't end up making

The claim it (or some of it) is made in the US

edit-Oh 1k sounds like it was made here, is the glass US also?

Yup... it's the Mueller reticle. He finally found a U.S. optics company to make his scope.

www.ellisoptics.com/company.aspx

That's a great sounding scope, hope it's avalible WITHOUT the Mueller reticle. Looks way too busy for me..
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What I'm saying is folks use them for a crutch to make up for poor marksmenship.

Gee...

That sounds like a huge @#$! assumption and/or generalization to me.

After over a decade in the USMC, I try to be more precise.

Which is why I like magnified optics for some purposes.

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i went through the same thing........until i bought the TA31 ACOG.

damn i love that thing.......

You and me both brother.  I'm looking for new things to put an ACOG on I like 'em so much.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#46]
The "Mueller" reticle? Gee, that looks identical to the M4-62 reticle in my GRSC 1-4x Combat Rifle Scope.

www.grsc.com/combatriflescope.php

Link Posted: 6/30/2008 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The "Mueller" reticle? Gee, that looks identical to the M4-62 reticle in my GRSC 1-4x Combat Rifle Scope.

www.photobucket.com/albums/i188/shooter521/misc%20guns/recon_reticle.jpg

www.grsc.com/combatriflescope.php

that seems nice for the price, but why in the hell did they print M4-62 in the damn glass? then on top if it, it illuminates to add more bright trash to your view?

Link Posted: 6/30/2008 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#48]
It was never intended to be illuminated... the company screwed up making the GRSC reticle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#50]
The USR is too costly to be purchased by any agency for a street cop.  It is one of the most accurate rifles made.  We claim that it will do with a 14.5 inch barrel what others do with an 18 inch barrel so a supressor on our weapon is very easy to carry.
A police marksman has time for one, maybe two shots.  We want this carbine to make an eyeball shot at 100 meters every time it is fired.  That should take most of the brain of a BG out befroe he can hurt anyone.  
Denny did a great job on this rifle in the April edition of SWAT.
So in this thread I wanted to show why an optic is needed for some AR platforms.  I've been testing with the Leupold 2.5-8 Mil Dot but am in the process of putting a Zeis 4-16 Mil Dot on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top