BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/21/2008 8:30:58 PM EDT
I took one of my rifles out of my gun case, to find out that the Eotech 552 attached to it was dead.  The batteries are the original and was only used a couple of times; for a few hours at the range. I've had the sight for about 10 months.  The batteries also drain in my 551 but I thought this was only related to the N versions.

My 2 Aimpoints have been pefect for years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Send them to me.  I will properly dispose of them.

I don't have any problem with my AA Eothingy....Lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Bubba12Gauge

What you experiencing in far from new.... Folks in the know have been trying to tell folks about there reliability issues for years... but some folks are so in love with there EOtechs that they are in complete denial.

Guys are so in love with that 65Mil circle/ 1mil dot reticle and the "supposed" better field of view (which is totally a misconception and not based on any scientific fact but on peoples perception basd on the shape of both EO tech and Aimpoint)

Smart folks figured out that the EO reticle does not make you faster (you think you are but it's just perception) and they think the 1MOA dot gives them magic Long range sniper qualities (which you can accomplish the same thing with Iron sights like High power shooters have been doing for years....)

A red dot sight is only valuable if it is totally reliable and the power source is measured in years.. not weeks....

I watched a LEO pull out his AR with a 511 that only had 10 hrs on it and it died on him (on day 1 of a 3 day class).. suppose he was pulling that carbine out of the trunk of his car during an active shooter response...)

Why would anyone risk intermittent power of there primary sight...

and with the advent of the Aimpoint T-1.. the EO tech fans can't use there "better Field of view" argument so now all they have left is the reticle argument.

If someone is  willing to accept mediocre reliability and poor battery life for love of a reticle... then they deserve there EOtech... And I'll see your car at Batteries plus a lot more often.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
As usual, I agree completely with Harv.

When my T-1 finally gets here (backordered for almost six weeks so far!) I will turn it on and leave it on, and if I am still an arfcommer in five or eight years when it dies I will tell you about it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
snip

*shrug*

Like I said, mine has NEVER given me any problems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The battery life and reputation for near invincibility sold me on the Aimpoint.

I've looked through quite a few holo-sight type optics, and although cool, the different shapes are a little un necessary IMHO.

I put an ML3 on my shotgun, and im very pleased with the 4moa simple dot.

After reading that story of the Aimpoint reps shooting 2 shots touching, throwing the M4 into a tree, having it thrown back, and then shooting 2 more shots that were touching, it just made me happier with my purchase.

I think EOTech's have a great idea behind them, but i think they need to work on the technology, especially the battery life and reliability a lot more, before i would consider them for anything more than target shooting.

But just take what i say with a grain of salt, im not in the Military, or LEO, just a simple gun owner
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I took one of my rifles out of my gun case, to find out that the Eotech 552 attached to it was dead.  The batteries are the original and was only used a couple of times; for a few hours at the range. I've had the sight for about 10 months.  The batteries also drain in my 551 but I thought this was only related to the N versions.

My 2 Aimpoints have been pefect for years.

AMEN

been saying for a long Long Long  time  

I found mine DEAD 3 times with NEW BATTS

I put it on my Back Up M4

Aimpoint is on my GO TO M4

dont have to worry about Battery Life
Or if it will shut off when I need it the most

Traded in XD aimpoint for the NEW ML2 in 2001

JUST CHANGED BATTERY LAST YEAR 2007
EVEN THOUGH IT WAS FINE
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Pita_146

*shrug*

So does that mean that EOTech's don't have problems because your one sample you use a few times a year never has any issues...

I'm sure there are a few folks who bought Pinto's that thought they were a pretty good car to..... until they got re ended.....

That's the funny thing about EOtechs.... they work great.... right up until the time when they don't.... and you never know when that is gonna be....until it happens.

I like  a little bit more predictablity....
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately it seems like there are some who become too dependent on their battery controlled devices. I am confident enough in my shooting that if I were to pull out my goto rifle and the battery was dead on an eotech or aimpoint, I would still be able to shoot what was necessary....FWIW I do not own an eotech or an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]
short story:

12  years 9 aimpoints  from the xd model to the M2 model = only 1 xd model sent to aimpoint for warranty service ( maybe because my rifle fell from a 15 feet tower)

5 years 4 eotechs= 3 of them sent for warranty service 1 of them 2 in different ocassions. ( In all fairness Eotech have a great customer service or at least they used to have )

Lessons learned :
Eotech is a great concept ,in terms of use I found it easier and faster to use than aimpoint, but if my ass is on the line I will only use an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had an EOTech for a few months... No problems with it; yet...
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Bugg

Unfortunately it seems like there are some who become too dependent on their battery controlled devices. I am confident enough in my shooting that if I were to pull out my goto rifle and the battery was dead on an eotech or aimpoint, I would still be able to shoot what was necessary....FWIW I do not own an eotech or an aimpoint.

I trust my truck (with a battery) to work no matter where I am... and if it's a good reoliable model.. it does......

Don't get wrapped around the axle over batteries.. you depend on them more then you think....
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bugg

I trust my truck (with a battery) to work no matter where I am... and if it's a good reoliable model.. it does......

Don't get wrapped around the axle over batteries.. you depend on them more then you think....

You've never had a battery fail in your vehicle?  Usually screws your day up pretty badly.  Yes, they are reliable.  But they still fail.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#13]
OMG!   You had to put fresh batteries in after 10 months?  Hell, I have plenty of battery power crap around the house that the batteries go dead.  Keep a few extra sets around, and have back up irons mounted.  

What is the big deal?   If it is my work rifle, shotgun or pistol, I change the batteries in my lights and the eotech every 6 months regardless if it is needed or not.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
JJREA

You've never had a battery fail in your vehicle? Usually screws your day up pretty badly. Yes, they are reliable. But they still fail.

Actually.... no.. unless I do something stupid, like leave the head lights on or a dome light. but If I follow the manufacturers guidelines... and do all the PM's and service and replace when I'm suppose to.... and I use a quality battery and not some $19.99 batteries plus special, I can leave my truck parked at an Airport for 2 weeks in the middle of winter and when I come home at 2am and start it..... it starts.... Imagine that....

Now if the truck or battery is piss poorly designed and has a design flaw... and requires a jump start every couple of months.. my reaction is not to sell my truck and start riding a bicycle because it's KISS....  or continue to use that truck/battery combination because I love how the cigarette lighter works...I get a truck/battery that reliably works....

sound familar.................
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
JJREA

You've never had a battery fail in your vehicle? Usually screws your day up pretty badly. Yes, they are reliable. But they still fail.

Actually.... no.. unless I do something stupid, like leave the head lights on or a dome light. but If I follow the manufacturers guidelines... and do all the PM's and service and replace when I'm suppose to.... and I use a quality battery and not some $19.99 batteries plus special, I can leave my truck parked at an Airport for 2 weeks in the middle of winter and when I come home at 2am and start it..... it starts.... Imagine that....

Now if the truck or battery is piss poorly designed and has a design flaw... and requires a jump start every couple of months.. my reaction is not to sell my truck and start riding a bicycle because it's KISS....  or continue to use that truck/battery combination because I love how the cigarette lighter works...I get a truck/battery that reliably works....

Harv24, I feel the EXACT same way as you on this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Geez guys sorry to hear you have had so many problems, mine works fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
JJREA

OK, suddenly I'm a no nothing hick that buys cheap batteries because they've failed before.  NOT.  Good batteries fail too.  They do wear out you know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#18]
JJREA

OK, suddenly I'm a no nothing hick that buys cheap batteries because they've failed before. NOT. Good batteries fail too. They do wear out you know.

No.. your not.. The point I'm trying to make is everything has a root cause and a corective action...

If you choose wisely and follow prescribed guidelines, you will minimize failures...

EVERYTHING BREAKS... Red dot sights....AR-15's...Trucks...Jumbo Jets.. Space Shuttles...

but ya ever notice how the cheap shit or the poorly designed stuff seems to break more often.... That's called a clue....

Show me multible threads that are 5 pages or more about Aimpoint failures.... I double dog dare anyone to post the links.... does that mean guys do not have Aimpoint failures??? no, they break, just not as often...

But just in the course of over a few months I have seen 3 or 4 threads on problems with EOtechs...  and not just from one or tow folks.... along with what some consider a pretty significant recall..... Folks can choose to ignore it and be in denial and continue to be "In Love" with an inanimate object if you want...

I'll continue to chose fucntion over form...

and not be afraid of batteries....... Oh, and I like Oil too.. lots and lots of cheap oil.. cause I'm not afraid of my car either.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I will add to the +1 factor in FAVOR of EOTECH.

My son arrived home from the sandbox day before yesterday WITH his eotech having had it in service for more than a year without malfunction. While it has some dings here and there and ugly spots as it has seen actual combat, it is no worse for wear, He is redeploying later this year and shall be taking that same eotech with him again, having full confidence in it.

Could those members here that have had less than stellar performance with theirs have just received some individually fucked up units that somehow missed quality control standards? Have these members have been in touch with eotech to report their dilemmas with the given units and have asked for replacement units? Not that I am doubting their words, I fully realize that sometimes, shit happens.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 15 Eotechs and 15 Aimpoints in my PSD team armory.  The issued M4, M2-ML3 Aimpoints have run without fail.  4 Eotech 552s are trashed (broke, battery compartments corroded or unserviceable) and at least 3 still being used are about to go tits up.  The Eotech users are going through at least 4 batteries a week and the rubber buttons are hard to feel and depress with gloves.  

I was running an Eotech on my SAW, but changing batteries like a mad motherfucker. I run an Aimpoint on my M4 with no problems.  

At home I just use my rifles to shoot hogs and critters, so I run the Eotech 551 N battery model on my AR.  So far, the 551 has done well and I don't seem to be plagued with battery changes.  Though they do drain if I leave them in during my 3-4 month deployments to Iraq.  

I run my M2 I bought in 2000 on another rifle and its never failed and I have yet to change the battery.  4MOA dots shooting cats in the head at 100 regularly.  

I picked up an Aimpoint Micro T-1 and I am impressed.  Put it on the FAL!  

In short, I like the Aimpoint over the Eotech for durability and dependability.  I will be putting the M2 on my police patrol rifle once I get back in that arena.

and that's what I had to say about that.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted: The batteries are the original and was only used a couple of times; for a few hours at the range. I've had the sight for about 10 months.

While my experience is limited to my own 512, which has been flawless so far, I wouldn't trust the batteries that come with the EO other than to power it up to play with before buying new/fresh batts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
JJREA

OK, suddenly I'm a no nothing hick that buys cheap batteries because they've failed before. NOT. Good batteries fail too. They do wear out you know.

No.. your not.. The point I'm trying to make is everything has a root cause and a corective action...

If you choose wisely and follow prescribed guidelines, you will minimize failures...

EVERYTHING BREAKS... Red dot sights....AR-15's...Trucks...Jumbo Jets.. Space Shuttles...

but ya ever notice how the cheap shit or the poorly designed stuff seems to break more often.... That's called a clue....

Show me multible threads that are 5 pages or more about Aimpoint failures.... I double dog dare anyone to post the links.... does that mean guys do not have Aimpoint failures??? no, they break, just not as often...

But just in the course of over a few months I have seen 3 or 4 threads on problems with EOtechs...  and not just from one or tow folks.... along with what some consider a pretty significant recall..... Folks can choose to ignore it and be in denial and continue to be "In Love" with an inanimate object if you want...

I'll continue to chose fucntion over form...

and not be afraid of batteries....... Oh, and I like Oil too.. lots and lots of cheap oil.. cause I'm not afraid of my car either.....

I was only agreeing with the gentleman about things with batteries breaking.  I don't doubt that Aimpoints are better.  I don't have either.  I've thought about getting either but haven't.  My brother has one and it seems to work just fine.  So my point is a little off topic.  And I'm not disagreeing with you about aimpoints.  My top 3 pics for optics would be a compact acog, an aimpoint micro, or a Tri Power.  I wouldn't mind a regular aimpoint either even just the M68 or something.  But I'm still not there yet.  I really like shooting with irons and feel for my uses, they are good enough.  And they don't have batteries.  Of course my light does though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I tested the batteries with my multimeter and they are completely dead. I only used the Eotech about 5 hours, in the 10 months I've had it. There is no excuse to find dead batteries.

The only conclusion I can draw is that ALL Eotech Sights, regardless of battery type, drain the battereis; while not in use. This is the third one that does this. ( 2 551's and a 552)

Perhaps it has something to do with the memory feature or capasitor? I do know for now on, I have to store all my Eotechs without the batteries installed. This solved the drain issue with my 551's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I tested the batteries with my multimeter and they are completely dead. I only used the Eotech about 5 hours, in the 10 months I've had it. There is no excuse to find dead batteries.

The only conclusion I can draw is that ALL Eotech Sights, regardless of battery type, drain the battereis; while not in use. This is the third one that does this. ( 2 551's and a 552)

Perhaps it has something to do with the memory feature or capasitor? I do know for now on, I have to store all my Eotechs without the batteries installed. This solved the drain issue with my 551's.

For completeness sake, were these Lithium batteries?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

For completeness sake, were these Lithium batteries?.

These were the Energiser Industrial Batteries that came with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't have an Aimpoint.........yet.  I do have a 512 that has run great, and hasnt given me problems...........yet.  That being said, my AR is just a fun-gun, so I'm not terribly worried about it.  But I did replace those shit batteries that came with the 512, with Energizer lithiums (actually, I didnt even put the batts that came with it, in the 512).

I plan on getting an Aimpoint when money allows, but for my uses, the 512 will suffice for now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't have an Aimpoint.........yet.  I do have a 512 that has run great, and hasnt given me problems...........yet.  That being said, my AR is just a fun-gun, so I'm not terribly worried about it.  But I did replace those shit batteries that came with the 512, with Energizer lithiums (actually, I didnt even put the batts that came with it, in the 512).

I plan on getting an Aimpoint when money allows, but for my uses, the 512 will suffice for now.

I have not tried lithium bateries as I'm saving them for a SHTF Situation. However, there is no reason in the world that a good set of name brand batteries go dead in a 350-400 Dollar sight. Like I said, it does this with both my 551's and my 552. They are all revision F and manufactured 6 months apart.

I have never had one go down while in use. It's just the battery drain issue.

I also have 2 Aimpoints that have given me zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two Aimpoints. One on an M4 and one on an MP5 clone and the stay turned on
all of the time to the setting that I use them at. I have owned an Aimpoint for years
and have never had battery issues. I will stick to what works and is proven time and
time again, not just some of the time. That and my ACOG of course.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*shrug*

So does that mean that EOTech's don't have problems because your one sample you use a few times a year never has any issues...

I'm sure there are a few folks who bought Pinto's that thought they were a pretty good car to..... until they got re ended.....

That's the funny thing about EOtechs.... they work great.... right up until the time when they don't.... and you never know when that is gonna be....until it happens.

I like  a little bit more predictablity....

To help your reading comprehension I have highlighted the pertinent word in red.  I never said that some people didn't have problems.  Only that I didn't have any problems.  Also, I use it more than a few times a year.

Granted, mine works great, my dads works great, my room mates works great.  All on duty weapons.  All flawless.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I use my eotech 512 everyday, leave it on for at least 4 hours everyday while it sits next to the door while I take my dog out to poo and for walks. I also use it for a demo gun at the gun shows and I have had the same batteries in it for almost two years. I also sell a ton of them and your experience is in the minority. Either your batteries were crap or something is wrong with the sight, call eotech and they will make it right, no matter what
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#31]
alpha23niner

I use my eotech 512 everyday, leave it on for at least 4 hours everyday while it sits next to the door while I take my dog out to poo and for walks. I also use it for a demo gun at the gun shows and I have had the same batteries in it for almost two years. I also sell a ton of them and your experience is in the minority. Either your batteries were crap or something is wrong with the sight, call eotech and they will make it right, no matter wha  

Gee.. that's funny, The guys in SOCOM are having just the opposite experience along with a "ton" of other folks...
They must only work reliably at Gun shows...
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Pita_146

To help your reading comprehension I have highlighted the pertinent word in red. I never said that some people didn't have problems. Only that I didn't have any problems. Also, I use it more than a few times a year.

Granted, mine works great, my dads works great, my room mates works great. All on duty weapons. All flawless.

Thanks for helping my Comprehension skills... but don't worry, us Aimpoint guys figured that out a long time ago...

I'm glad your optic's work.... I just hope some day when you pull them out of the trunk on an Active shooter call that you don't find out what others have.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
alpha23niner

I use my eotech 512 everyday, leave it on for at least 4 hours everyday while it sits next to the door while I take my dog out to poo and for walks. I also use it for a demo gun at the gun shows and I have had the same batteries in it for almost two years. I also sell a ton of them and your experience is in the minority. Either your batteries were crap or something is wrong with the sight, call eotech and they will make it right, no matter wha  

Gee.. that's funny, The guys in SOCOM are having just the opposite experience along with a "ton" of other folks...
They must only work reliably at Gun shows...

a ton, whatever  the guys in socom? the only trouble I've heard of was the battery spring problem with the 553's that was corrected. Yea I also work the gunshows that my employer who owns a store front that sells to LE/MIL/ and civilians. I guess you would still know more than I
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#34]
alpha23niner

Yea I also work the gunshows that my employer who owns a store front that sells to LE/MIL/ and civilians. I guess you would still know more than I

Yes, because selling optics to LE/MIL in Gun shows gives one such a broad level of first hand experience...

Did I tell you I live next to the Airport....Now I'm a pilot....
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#35]
In my experience, it really comes down to lithium batteries.  Between myself and my associates, there are 7 EOs.  Mine died once for no reason, so I went to lithium batteries and told them all to do the same. Since then, no problems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#36]
It really boils down to spending your money on what you want and what you like. there are draw backs to AA batteries and eotechs- battery life and AA's drain/leak if they are left unused - not always but its a possibility. however I do like the idea of stopping at any store or gas station and picking up a set. Call me crazy, but I dont store my ar/ eotech (or any electronic sights) with the batteries in, it sits in a locked safe.having said that, aimpoints are great, albiet pricey.  I broke an aimpoint also. they are tough sights but not indestructable. It wasnt broken because it was dropped, but due to repeated recoil on an ipsc gun. I have also had tasco propoints that I have proven themselves virtually indestructable. Any piece of electronics can fail, batteries can fail. Would I buy another aimpoint? - you betcha.  buy whatever fits your usage. if you want to leave it on all the time - buy the aimpoint, if you like the eotech and AA batteries get it - Would I buy another eotech? most definately and I cant wait to see the new vortex. competition drives innovation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone here looked into the effects of climate on sight performance? I don't have either dot sight yet. However, our swat members have been recommending the eotech because they have had problems with the Aimpoint. Could it be an issue of one performing better in humid conditions and the other in dry/sandy conditions?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#38]
When my unit was first issued Aimponts in 2002 we went out to zero and qualify, a funny thing happened.

First all the joe's who could barely qualiy with irons could shoot alot better.  Zero groups became smaller, and the day was alot easier.

Second those of us that normally shot expert with Irons were seeing our zero groups open up badly and our qual scores go down.

This was almost universal, while those that did not know how to handle a firearm well did better those of us that knew how to shoot well were made far worse by the addition.

I caried an issued AImpoint for 2 years and hated it all the way through it never grew on me, it was either too bright or too dim, or snagging on something, or getting the knob bent, ect, ect.  But the dot was always there just as big and usleless as ever.

This is why I prefer the EOtech, I don't care how well the thing stays on if I can't hit $#%& with it, it is worthless.

With my EO tech I routinly shoot 3 in groups standing un supported, and have hit deer running full out at 240-280 yards routinley.  

If your are to lazy to put new batteries in a red dot once in a while you should't use it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If your are to lazy to put new batteries in a red dot once in a while you should't use it.

I agree but batteries draining for no good reason; especially when not in use sucks. If I used it a lot I can understand but 4 hours?

If I left my N batteries in my 551's they be dead in 2 months. This is with no use!
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#40]
FWIW, I did a carbine course with Jeff Gonzales (Trident Concepts), he is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable trainers out there for Mil/LE.  We had 3 Eotechs in the class, he gave us some pretty grim stories about most of them crapping out.  Sure enough, by the end of day 2, all three had problems (one crapped out completely, one would flash out under recoil and would not stay on the gun, the other went through 3 sets of batteries in 2 days).  The remaining red dots all worked fine (Aimpoints and Trijicons).  Yes, one of those Eotechs was mine, it is on a 10/22 now. I run an Aimpoint on any gun I bet my life on.  I really like the Eotech, but I don't trust it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#41]
SD307

With my EO tech I routinly shoot 3 in groups standing un supported, and have hit deer running full out at 240-280 yards routinley.

WOW...your good..........
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
FWIW, I did a carbine course with Jeff Gonzales (Trident Concepts), he is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable trainers out there for Mil/LE.  We had 3 Eotechs in the class, he gave us some pretty grim stories about most of them crapping out.  Sure enough, by the end of day 2, all three had problems (one crapped out completely, one would flash out under recoil and would not stay on the gun, the other went through 3 sets of batteries in 2 days).  The remaining red dots all worked fine (Aimpoints and Trijicons).  Yes, one of those Eotechs was mine, it is on a 10/22 now. I run an Aimpoint on any gun I bet my life on.  I really like the Eotech, but I don't trust it.

Intresting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
alpha23niner

Yea I also work the gunshows that my employer who owns a store front that sells to LE/MIL/ and civilians. I guess you would still know more than I

Yes, because selling optics to LE/MIL in Gun shows gives one such a broad level of first hand experience...

Did I tell you I live next to the Airport....Now I'm a pilot....

that was on my wifes account, it was me. I don't just sell at gun shows and I have a lot more experience than that. You can try to belittle my knowledge but it doesn't make you correct  
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not the only instructor having issues with EO's.  I do believe Pat Rogers has a long line of EO flat liners as well.

For me personally, I have ditched all my 551's entirely and now run with AP's Micro T1 extensively. This comes from a guy who ran early models of the Bushnell Holo Sight. In the early days I never ever saw the issues with this unit as I now see with my 551's! (Been back to EO land twice and still going down)...Now with my Micro T1, I can leave the site on for 5 darn years and not worry about the unit going down. I can run the Comp M4s for SEVEN darn years!! My confidence is very high that the AP T1 and the M4s will work in a gun battle and that is my #1 reason for using it.  I cannot be any nicer than this.  I understand no optic and/or gun can offer everything I need, but the AP systems with a 3x magnifier come close for the complete package I need. Just MHO on what I have personally experienced.

Vic

One thing is for sure. I will buy no more Eotechs. Also, I'm going to start getting rid of my 551's and replcing them with ML2's and ML3's. I also have a 552 and a 557. I haven't had the 557 long enough to experience battery drain issues but ain't holding my breath.

I tried to be patriotic and buy American but these sights, especially the N versions, are overpriced junk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm new to the ar15 community and i have to say i'm really shocked to read all the negative comments about eotechs.  I've deployed 3 times to Iraq as an 11b and used an aimpoint on the first time over.  It was a good sight but i really prefered my iron sights to using the aimpoint.  second time around had an eotech and loved it.  third time had and acog which i also loved but not quite as much as i loved my eotech.  as far as reliability.  I have seen many broken aimpoints but I have never seen a broken eotech.  but in all fairness I have seen many more aimpoints than eotechs in the military.  I do like the newer models where you can turn them on and not have to turn the darn thing off till the deployment is over.  I've seen eotechs take a lot of abbuse and keep running.  I'm not an expert on optics I just know what has worked for me.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By KG mauserman:
I'm new to the ar15 community and i have to say i'm really shocked to read all the negative comments about eotechs.  I've deployed 3 times to Iraq as an 11b and used an aimpoint on the first time over.  It was a good sight but i really prefered my iron sights to using the aimpoint.  second time around had an eotech and loved it.  third time had and acog which i also loved but not quite as much as i loved my eotech.  as far as reliability.  I have seen many broken aimpoints but I have never seen a broken eotech.  but in all fairness I have seen many more aimpoints than eotechs in the military.  I do like the newer models where you can turn them on and not have to turn the darn thing off till the deployment is over.  I've seen eotechs take a lot of abbuse and keep running.  I'm not an expert on optics I just know what has worked for me.  

If you stop and think, the Eotech potentially has more to go wrong with it than the Aimpoint.

The Aimpoint is a diode in a tube, with an inner tube; with a simple rotary switch.

The Eotech has all these auto shut off and other memory features which have to use battery power. Let me ask you this. How often, on average, did you change the batteries on your Eotech?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#48]
changed them once about once every other week.  and never had any issues.  Anytime I completely broke down the rilfe for a good deep cleaning I would change the batteries.
I always carried some extra AA's so it wasnt the end of the world if they died while on patrol.  As part of my PCC's and PCI's i just made sure mine and my team had good batteries in everything we carried.  My surefire batteries die a hell of a lot quicker then my eotechs ever did but i never considered that a liability.  I just made sure i had new ones when we went out the wire.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By KG mauserman:
changed them once about once every other week.  and never had any issues.  Anytime I completely broke down the rilfe for a good deep cleaning I would change the batteries.
I always carried some extra AA's so it wasnt the end of the world if they died while on patrol.  As part of my PCC's and PCI's i just made sure mine and my team had good batteries in everything we carried.  My surefire batteries die a hell of a lot quicker then my eotechs ever did but i never considered that a liability.  I just made sure i had new ones when we went out the wire.

Was this the AA version or N? Anyway I guess with Uncle Sugar supplying the batteries, changing them every 2 weeks ain't no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I love mine, had it for almost a year now.  It's the F 512, I really prefered the sight picture of the EO over the Aimpoint after I tried both.  I shoot once or twice a month, running and gunning not from a bench.  The batteries that came with it lasted about two months, after that I put lithium's in it and they are still working (I'm trying to see how long they last.)  I keep an extra pair in my chest harness and an extra pair in the grips in case they do.  Plus all I have to do is flip up the rear and I'm GTG.

To each their own.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top