BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/19/2006 8:17:14 PM EDT
for those of you out there that have to have the best or depend on their rifle w/their lives, read no further....but for whoever thinks that the aimpoint 3x is way overpriced for what it is this might be for you.

I bought a cheap hensoldt optic (2.5x) for some sort of launcher from (ahem) cheaper than dirt.
www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP097-48365-1452.html

I cut the eyecup off mine, it has some markings for aiming(for its original purpose)but the optics themself are very clear. mounted it in a cheap cantilever ring w/a 1" spacer and ouila.

pic thru my eotech

pic thru the 2.5x

pic. on my rifle

Well.
last night left a friends house w/this unit sitting on my truck and drove off........
found it this morning on the opposite side of the road....a little beat up.
I'm guessing it got hit twice overnight but who knows.

slapped it in a new mount and cleaned it up.......... glass is still perfect
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That is pretty slick. Is the optic tube aluminum?
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
that's pretty damn neat and i hope you don't mind if a TAG this
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought two myself awhile back. By the way, that rubber eye cup comes off if you pull it towards the front. Here it is on my 10/22. The dot isn't lined up right now but I can wiggle it around a bit and have the red dot in the center of the top circle, great for range finding. Though the eye relief isn't exactly stellar, it does work pretty well in broad daylight.

Link Posted: 12/19/2006 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
do you have any problems with paralax?

-edit
could u attempt the same with one of those cheap monocular night vision sets get a 3x (most ocmmon i can't find any 1x) and find a way to mount it behind an aimpoint, will that give you your NV plus 3x zoom?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I just dont understand, You pay for magpul products, float tudes, vert grip, and eotech. Then will only pay 10 bucks for another optic.

Just don't make change to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
And a very nice POF upper! Cool setup!
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
It's for a German Panzerfaust 3 rocket launcher. I've seen those before but never thought of that! That's a good idea!

ETA: Think it would work with the eye piece?

Quoted:
I just dont understand, You pay for magpul products, float tudes, vert grip, and eotech. Then will only pay 10 bucks for another optic.

IMO, I dont think the magnifyer should be more than the actual optic. All it is is a 3x scope without a reticle, isnt it? So why pay $470 for one? You could buy a new complete upper for that
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Maybe it's because he has all those items you listed that he can't afford an Aimpoint 3x?

Just kidding. It's his rifle and he can do with it what he pleases. I think it was a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I just sold off a 3X because of the price to performance ratio.  I think I'll order one of these and give it a try.  I like that is has ranging info in the reticle.

Stephen
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Simple I don't really need a magnified optic on this AR for what I use it for ( I have other AR's with optics ) BUT,
A cheap magnifier might be handy when plinking at the range.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple I don't really need a magnified optic on this AR for what I use it for ( I have other AR's with optics ) BUT,
A cheap magnifier might be handy when plinking at the range.

Pretty Damn Innovative .

Evil Eye --> Your rifle...Your decision on what you want to do with it.  Good Lookin' Rig IMO.

-Doc
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Because some people know how to be creative and not get screwed :)  I do the same shit.  There are things I will pay $$$ for and things where I wont no matter how good the mfg say they are.

3x optics is just that.  A multiplier.  Its just glass, nothing more.   You'd be an idiot to pay hundreds for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]
These are 2x to start with...i have one...it is great...

2X TruGlo

fred
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
All it is is a 3x scope without a reticle, isnt it? So why pay $470 for one? You could buy a new complete upper for that hat
damn... I'd pay like... $100 for one...

Maybe someone will make a clone!
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's for a German Panzerfaust 3 rocket launcher. I've seen those before but never thought of that! That's a good idea!

ETA: Think it would work with the eye piece?

Quoted:

IMO, I dont think the magnifyer should be more than the actual optic. All it is is a 3x scope without a reticle, isnt it? So why pay $470 for one? You could buy a new complete upper for that

+1 the Aimpoint magnifier is one of the more overpriced pieces of gear on the market.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

All it is is a 3x scope without a reticle, isnt it? So why pay $470 for one? You could buy a new complete upper for that

Is that how much they cost?

damn... I'd pay like... $100 for one...

Maybe someone will make a clone!

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=291
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Very well done.  Thats a great idea. We often pig hunt in very tight cover that is perfect for the Eothingy, but occasionally have shots at 2-300 yards.  This is the perfect cost effective solution for that...

Can someone point me to where I can get an inexpensive cantilever mount like the one  Evileyes is using?

B
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#19]
i have a simons monocular thats roughly the same size but is 8x i just held it behind my aimpoint and found that all i culd see at a distance (150+ yds) was a red blur, is it because of the magnification or do you guys see that too at a distance.
(noticed your targets where close range)
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#21]
i love feeling stupid....

so even paying 20 bucks for that outfit would give me over 8 MOA when the only reason i would do it is to increase my range. its kind of pointless unless you have 2moa or less because accuracy goes to crap.

thanks, just like to make sure i understand
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

so even paying 20 bucks for that outfit would give me over 8 MOA when the only reason i would do it is to increase my range. its kind of pointless unless you have 2moa or less because accuracy goes to crap.

Just as a heads up, the standard front sight post covers well over 8 MOA and people still manage to crank out ok groups.

Food for thought.

ETA: Plus, obviously the actual MOA coverage would remain the same if actually looking through the magnifier.  If using it BAC style, though, the MOA would increase as you say.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Very creative.

Do you use a 30mm ring with the rubber attached?  How about with it removed?

no you use a 1" ring.

the rubber i removed was an eyecup
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Actually, the monoculare would increase the dot and background by 8x, so the MOA coverage of the dot should remain the same. The dot would just look 8 times bigger than normal when looking through the magnifier (but so would the background).
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Precisely, EVERYTHING is 8x larger, the dot isnt singled out and magnified while everything else is left the same. thats silly
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#26]
eta pics.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Neat!  Love the impromptu durability test.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
FYI they are back in stock, I put an order to try it out.

+1

Now I get to play with my EOthingy with magnification, since there was no way in hell I was going to pay more for a magnifier than a 552 sight!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Questions.

1. How is the optical clarity? German optics usually have a good rep. But were these surplused because they were foggy or clouded lenses?

2. How old are these things? when were they originally fielded?

3. whats the eye relief like?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay i'm going to give it a try.

I already fabrigated a mount that will make it line up perfectly with my Eotech on a LaRue Mount.

If anyone has a BSquare AR15 scope mount.

Cut the mount right in front of the steel peg that indexes in the flat top rail. this is the new FRONT of the mount.

Then cut it off right behind the closest scope ring to that indexing peg.  Thats the back of the new mount.

Cut the thumb screw bar off so you have a piece about 1.5" long as your fastener.

At the right rear side you need to take off about 1/2" of the right rail to clear the charging handle.  

Touch it up with black spray paint and your done. Lines up perfectly with a Eotech on a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#32]
taggage
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Questions.

1. How is the optical clarity? German optics usually have a good rep. But were these surplused because they were foggy or clouded lenses?

I'll chime in with some more info:

1) Optics are decent, nowhere near say a nice Leupold, they have a slight yellow tint to them but nothing bad as the blue tint on an Aimpoint. They are NIB, yah, brand new, never been out of the packing it seems.

2) The one I opened up is dated 1979 on the scope body. Markings beneath the rubber eyecovers are:

Hensoldt
Wetzlar
ZF 2x17
PZF44-2A1
1240-12-159-7683

3) Eye relief is dissappointing if this thing was $300, but at $20 I can't complain. It's around 1.25". If you use one I would advise leaving the rubber cover on and adjust it to your liking so you can simply press your eye against it and not have to hover to get the image in clear view.

Overall this thing is built like a tank, much better than my Aimpoint M2. And well they should be considering they were mounted on Anti-Tank weapons and is subjected to some pretty harsh abuses in the field. And if you know anything about scope makers you know how nice Hensoldt scopes are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Questions.

1) Optics are decent, nowhere near say a nice Leupold, they have a slight yellow tint to them but nothing bad as the blue tint on an Aimpoint. They are NIB, yah, brand new, never been out of the packing it seems.

2) The one I opened up is dated 1979 on the scope body. Markings beneath the rubber eyecovers are:

Hensoldt
Wetzlar
ZF 2x17
PZF44-2A1
1240-12-159-7683

3) Eye relief is dissappointing if this thing was $300, but at $20 I can't complain. It's around 1.25". If you use one I would advise leaving the rubber cover on and adjust it to your liking so you can simply press your eye against it and not have to hover to get the image in clear view.

Overall this thing is built like a tank, much better than my Aimpoint M2. And well they should be considering they were mounted on Anti-Tank weapons and is subjected to some pretty harsh abuses in the field. And if you know anything about scope makers you know how nice Hensoldt scopes are.

I run one on my AR15 with an eotech. They are LNIB, still foil vaccum packed. I work at CTD, so I was onto this about 4 months ago. Its a tough fucking optic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#35]
awesome thread!  does anyone have any ideas for devising a side-flip mount so the magnifier could be flipped out of the way when not needed?
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Questions.

Hensoldt
Wetzlar
ZF 2x17
PZF44-2A1
1240-12-159-7683

I run one on my AR15 with an eotech. They are LNIB, still foil vaccum packed. I work at CTD, so I was onto this about 4 months ago. Its a tough fucking optic.

I've found ProMag cantilever mounts for $60, Anyone else find a decent mount?

Nevis
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I just placed my order. The bitch is I will no doubt have to pay more for the mount than the optic
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Okay i'm going to give it a try.

I already fabrigated a mount that will make it line up perfectly with my Eotech on a LaRue Mount.

If anyone has a BSquare AR15 scope mount.

Cut the mount right in front of the steel peg that indexes in the flat top rail. this is the new FRONT of the mount.

Then cut it off right behind the closest scope ring to that indexing peg.  Thats the back of the new mount.

Cut the thumb screw bar off so you have a piece about 1.5" long as your fastener.

At the right rear side you need to take off about 1/2" of the right rail to clear the charging handle.  

Touch it up with black spray paint and your done. Lines up perfectly with a Eotech on a LaRue mount.

How 'bout some pics?
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Nevis wrote: "I've found ProMag cantilever mounts for $60, Anyone else find a decent mount?"

I wonder if the Promag is going to line up with Eotech when the Eotech is on a Larue riser.

Any other good AND cheap solutions that will work and don't require lots of modification?

I like that Knight's Armament cantilever mount BUT it's way pricey!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
....Anyone else find a decent mount?

Nevis

Any 1" scope ring should work.  Just need a rizer of some sort or a high ring.

My original plan was to use a 1" weaver scope ring on a couple of those $10.00 YHM risers. but i ended up modifying an old B-square mount instead.
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#41]
How about the one that Jackyiscxd is selling on EE?  

"Brand new KAC style scope ring for aimpoint, Cantilever mount(high mount) or "L" type mount(low mount) at your choice. ask for $15USD/each"

It's most likely not as durable but, maybe a good, low cost alternative.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=318369
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
How about the one that Jackyiscxd is selling on EE?  

"Brand new KAC style scope ring for aimpoint, Cantilever mount(high mount) or "L" type mount(low mount) at your choice. ask for $15USD/each"

It's most likely not as durable but, maybe a good, low cost alternative.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=318369

I swear I looked through their site, missed it.

I have an Aimpoint on a 22M68 cantilever, wonder if the "high mount" will line up?

Nevis
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm confused.  Is this thing 1" or 30mm?????
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I just ordered on of these things from SPG.  Just for shits and giggles I put my 553 in front of my 1.5-5 simmons.  All I can say is wow!  Talk about a nice cheap magnifier!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm curious... what can't you hit within 300yds using a 4MOA Aimpoint or 1MOA EoTech, that you will be able to hit with a Getto rigged $20 2.5X magnafier...

If you need the magnification...then get a magnafied Optic like an ACOG... or yea.. I forgot..... your all cheap bastards....and what $20 optics on $60 mounts....

I love America... we will keep China employed for the next 100 or so years....

Why does everyone need to turn a red dot Reflex sight into something it is not.. which is a precision rig...
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm curious... what can't you hit within 300yds using a 4MOA Aimpoint or 1MOA EoTech, that you will be able to hit with a Getto rigged $20 2.5X magnafier...

If you need the magnification...then get a magnafied Optic like an ACOG... or yea.. I forgot..... your all cheap bastards....and what $20 optics on $60 mounts....

Why does everyone need to turn a red dot Reflex sight into something it is not.. which is a precision rig...

I think a better question would be "Why should I spend another $500 over the $500+ I've already spent on my 552 and LaRue riser for a magnifier that I'll only use once in a while?"

No "$20 optics on $60 mounts" here, though. I'll either mount mine in a simple scope ring or I'll cut/weld/modify the Acog mount and/or carry handle scope mount I've got sitting in the closet.
Total investment: less than $50 (inlcuding range finder, ring(s), shipping, tax, and filler rod)
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

China??? These magnifiers are made in Germany. The mount is up to you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Lucky these guys don't make kitchen appliances, dvds, HGTV's, or computers or we all would need to be millionaires.

Link Posted: 1/16/2007 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Oh my!

5 years ago - $500 BM AR + $68 per 1K Wolf = Cheap Bastard Fun

Being a really "Cheap Bastard" I still like to see how people innovate, adapt and overcome.  $10 slings, $ .02 gappers, duct tape MAG Pulls, SPOT Red Dots etc.  You can fix and or repair anything if you throw money at it.  Innovation requires an idea, inspiration and a little know how.  I don't think we should let the Chineese have all the fun.

Nevis
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top