BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:43:00 PM EDT
I finally broke down and purchased a sight for my rifle.  I had gone back and forth between the Aimpoint and Eotech but in the end I settled on a Eotech model 512.  I received my sight yesterday and mounted it today.  Funny thing is it looks like the sight is canted to one side.  Is this normal or do I have a defective unit.  Is there a way to fix this?  

Mark
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read that the majority of these canted sights is an out of spec flat top rail.  What is your upper?  My 512 fits perfectly flat on my LMT upper.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My 512 on a gg&g mount is perfect on my RRA LAR-15. I even bought it used
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know.  I got my complete upper from JT Distributing over 8 years ago.  The funny thing is the detachable handle fits just fine and is level as is my GG&G scout rail.  But the 512 sits preceivably uneven to the right side (interestingly enough the side which the hex nut is on).  Do you think I can I wedge it level?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Mac,
I had the same problem with the new 552 I purchased.  It was canted to the right on my Colt upper.  I had previously owned a 552 from 2003 and it set flat on the upper, so I new it wasn't my upper being out of spec.  I emailed Eotech and they sent me a new 552 to try out and even paid for UPS to send the other back to the factory.  Eotech has some bada** customer service.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a LOOOOOnng post about this situation here a couple of months ago. Maybe someone involved could post the link. Mine on a Larue mount works fine, so I just read it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Same exact problem here -- I have an LE6920 and my eotech 512 cants to the left.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to add that I tried the eotech on an ARMS site for my HK94 and it cants the same way -- so it can't be the upper.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
SWANDOG,

I'm in the same boat, my 511 leans to the left on my AR 6721 and it has leaned on every rail and multiple rifles that I have tried it on, so it can't be the rifles.  That's why I won't buy another EOTech again, I'll go with something else.  The EOTech "cool aid" drinkers don't like these topics, as posted above, heaven forbid someone bash their precious site.

Here's my FINE 511:

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SWANDOG,

I'm in the same boat, my 511 leans to the left on my AR 6721 and it has leaned on every rail and multiple rifles that I have tried it on, so it can't be the rifles.  That's why I won't buy another EOTech again, I'll go with something else.  The EOTech "cool aid" drinkers don't like these topics, as posted above, heaven forbid someone bash their precious site.

Here's my FINE 511:
img212.imageshack.us/img212/8225/img08181zu.jpg
img212.imageshack.us/img212/3043/img08155wb.jpg

looks good to me!I think your head is on your neck crooked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SWANDOG,

Here's my FINE 511:
img212.imageshack.us/img212/8225/img08181zu.jpg</a>
img212.imageshack.us/img212/3043/img08155wb.jpg</a>

Yeah, your neck will definitely be in a crook after you stare through this thing for a while!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SWANDOG,

Here's my FINE 511:

Yeah, your neck will definitely be in a crook after you stare through this thing for a while!

Still canted?  Did you try the set screw mod on the yhm riser?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
SWANDOG,

Here's my FINE 511:
img212.imageshack.us/img212/8225/img08181zu.jpg
img212.imageshack.us/img212/3043/img08155wb.jpg

I'll give ya $5 for it

One of my Eotechs sits a bit canted on an Oly pistol caliber upper but it sits fine on my other 2 flattops.   I havent put the other Eotech on the Oly to see if it's still canted, I suspect the upper is a bit out of spec since it fits fine on the others.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SWANDOG,

Here's my FINE 511:

Still canted?  Did you try the set screw mod on the yhm riser?

I've not got it back yet.  Evidently he has been on some business trips and it is supposed to be done this week.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't find that old EOTech cant thread for the life of me...  One easy way to tell it it's the rail or the optic that's tilting is to spin it around 180 and mount it backwards.  If the rail tilts it will still tilt the same way.  If the optic mount tilts it will now tilt the other way.  An interplay of optic and rail tilts will have the optic tilting different amounts one way than the other.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny, I have ALWAYS noticed this but thought i was crazy.  My EO definately cants to the left.  It looks identicle to the pics posted.  I wonder if it is the locking lug?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can't find that old EOTech cant thread for the life of me...  One easy way to tell it it's the rail or the optic that's tilting is to spin it around 180 and mount it backwards.  If the rail tilts it will still tilt the same way.  If the optic mount tilts it will now tilt the other way.  An interplay of optic and rail tilts will have the optic tilting different amounts one way than the other.

That's what I did, as seen in the pictures, mine tilts to the left.  I turned it around and it tilts to the right.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I can't find that old EOTech cant thread for the life of me... One easy way to tell it it's the rail or the optic that's tilting is to spin it around 180 and mount it backwards. If the rail tilts it will still tilt the same way. If the optic mount tilts it will now tilt the other way. An interplay of optic and rail tilts will have the optic tilting different amounts one way than the other.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I did, as seen in the pictures, mine tilts to the left. I turned it around and it tilts to the right.

Uhhhh...Dude...I think he meant to spin the EOTech 180 degrees, not the rifle.  All you have done in the above photos is taken a shot of the mounted EO from the front of the rifle and then from the rear of the rifle.  Note the EO leaning toward the sling side in both pictures...

BTW, perfect fit for my new 512 on my RRA upper.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't find that old EOTech cant thread for the life of me... One easy way to tell it it's the rail or the optic that's tilting is to spin it around 180 and mount it backwards. If the rail tilts it will still tilt the same way. If the optic mount tilts it will now tilt the other way. An interplay of optic and rail tilts will have the optic tilting different amounts one way than the other.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I did, as seen in the pictures, mine tilts to the left. I turned it around and it tilts to the right.

Uhhhh...Dude...I think he meant to spin the EOTech 180 degrees, not the rifle.  All you have done in the above photos is taken a shot of the mounted EO from the front of the rifle and then from the rear of the rifle.  Note the EO leaning toward the sling side in both pictures...

BTW, perfect fit for my new 512 on my RRA upper.

Cheers,

Uh, yeah, I know.  Those pictures were taken a long time ago, when I first realized that there was a tilting issue.  It was suggested in another thread about the same issue, to try mounting it backwards to see if it leans in the other direction.  I tried it a while back, as I stated above and it leaned to the left mounted facing forward and it leaned to the right mounted backwards.  I DID MOUNT IT ON THE RAIL FORWARD AND BACKWARDS, BUT NOT WHEN THOSE PICTURES WERE TAKEN!

Those pictures are just of a front and rear view of it mounted properly!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is the old thread: www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=268409&page=1

My 552 cant left too. I saw the pic in that old thread for a EOTech that doesn't cant:
http://images16.fotki.com/v3/photos/2/26966/3318337/DSC00462-vi.jpg

And here is mine that cant!!
http://images1.fotki.com/v291/photos/2/26966/3318337/IMG_3312-vi.jpg
http://images16.fotki.com/v275/photos/2/26966/3318337/IMG_3309-vi.jpg

It seems to me that the catcher piece of metal on the end of the screw may be "screwing" things up... literally!! The hole may be drilled in correctly. I believed if the screw wasn't tilted, and if the screw is sitting flat, my EOTech would be flat and will not cant.... can some of you who got a non-cant(straight sitting EOTech) confirm it one more time?

http://images16.fotki.com/v280/photos/2/26966/3318337/eo-vi.jpg
That should also be illustrated in this drawing... the bottom "black" part is the screw... if that screw itself is not sitting horizontally, then... the EOTech itself will certainly be tilted/angled to how that screw is angled!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I own all Aimpoints and was thinking of trying the eothingy for a change; guess I`ll wait to see how this plays out. I`d be pissed if mine sat like that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I own all Aimpoints and was thinking of trying the eothingy for a change; guess I`ll wait to see how this plays out. I`d be pissed if mine sat like that.

Exactly, stick with Aimopoint!  My next optic purchase is going to be an M3.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#23]
JickoRicko
That's a great illistration.  Mine cants and it looks like your second (cant) picture.  Even though Eotech has excellent service and a great product, I really wish they would redesign their attachment system.  Enough people have complained about it to make it a problem, not just out of spec rails.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I almost wanted to order a spare part - Weaver Locking Bar (N2020) from EOTech to prove my theory.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/spare_parts_list.pdf

I think it is because the hole mis-drilled in the Weaver Locking Bar.... it is just a $2 part....

I actually want to see if someone have a non-cant'ed EOTech can take a pic and post it here so that we can take a look at it....

EDIT:
You know what, I think I had identified the "problem"!!

Look at the pic of the "correct" Weaver Locking Bar here:
http://images3.fotki.com/v36/photos/2/26966/3318337/N2020-vi.jpg

I looked at mine(slanted one), the hole is DEFINITELY not the same as the one in the picture!! The hole in my bar is closer to the side with the RAMP than the side without!! You can clearly see in the above picture that the hole just barely touches the RAMP while in my bar, the hole is much further into the RAMP.... I'll try to get a picture of my Weaver Locking Bar for comparison sake...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#25]
JickoRicko,

What you're saying makes sense to me.  I have two non-canted 552's and I'll see if I can get a close-up pic of my locking bar.

See if you can do the same and we'll compare the locations of where the holes where tapped.

If this is in fact the issue it should be an easy fix and I'm sure EOTech will be happy to give out replacement locking bars.

One quick question, when you put your EOTech on your rail without tightening down the screw does it sit flat or canted?  Does it only cant once you've tightened it down?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys have got it right...  I am actually going to contact them right now.  I was at the range yesterday and though of the same ing, i.e. the unit is level when not tightened but only cants when it is tightened down.  It has got to be a mis-drilling of the locking bar.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#27]
FYI Update...
Just got off the phone with customer service...  AWESOME!!!  Dennis was very nice and understood exactly what I was explaining.  He is sending out a new part and it should be here in a few days.  I let you know how it works.
A+ for EOTech customer service!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm now in contact with L3/EOTech customer service/engineers, and hopefully soon enough we can nail down the problem. Sending out a $2 replacement parts for this this problem is so much better than keep replacing sights or to just ignore it. (Of course Dennis understood you.... cuz.... I had sent him all my photos.... and documented all my findings....  hehttp://images3.fotki.com/v36/photos/2/26966/3318337/N2020-vi.jpg

As compare to my Weaver Locking Bar from my "slanted" EOTech:
http://images4.fotki.com/v38/photos/2/26966/3318337/IMG_3317-vi.jpg
http://images3.fotki.com/v33/photos/2/26966/3318337/IMG_3318-vi.jpg
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I had Dennis replace the complete 552 sight because the first one I had received canted to the right.  I just checked the locking bar on this model and noticed the hole is drilled partially into the part that locks it onto the rail.  My current 552 sat square on a colt upper and canted to the right on a CMT upper.  I put it on a RRA Dominator rail and now it cants to the left.  I am soooo damn frustrated to the point of selling the optic and mount and going with a M3 and Larue mount.  Hopefully, you can come up with the right answer.  I have a email into RRA about the dominator mount, but I have a sneaking suspicion its still the optic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#30]
The picture above depicts exactly how the hole is drilled into my locking mount.  It very minutely goes down into the lip that locks it onto the upper and any mount.  I emailed two photos to Dennis at Eotech.  The first is the location where the hole was drilled into the locking mount and the second was how the optic sat on the RRA mount.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I had been working with them. They had been working with their machine shop.

Give them a week or two. They will come up with the solution and then you guys can call in for sight replacement or they may just out "good" Weaver Locking Bars.... they are simple enough to replace...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay here's a pic of my non-canting locking bar.  You can clearly see that the hole for the screw is higher(If you flip it around like JR's pic.) above the wedged portion than JickoRicko's.  Mine looks exactly like the one in the spare part pic.

I'm pretty sure we've positively identified the issue that's causing canted sights on correctly machined 1913 spec rails.  Of course there could still be an issue with out of spec rails but at least we now know what to look for to eliminate or identify the locking bar as the cause of the problem.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]
HOOAH!!!

HURRAY!!!

Gotta love the internet.... and the power of the people.... we can even solve an engineering problem!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Well technically thats not an engineering problem but a manufacturing problem. The sights were properly engineered. the problem is prolly that there is no poke-yoke feature in the station where the hole is drilled and tapped. If the part gets put in the fixture the wrong way the hole will be into the angled area.  there are 2 ways to fix this. Either re-engineer the design so the hole is in the middle of the part (so it won't matter the way the part is dropped in the fixture) Or  design the part and fixture in a way that the part can only be put in correctly.

BTW though that is a good catch..

T
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I just got a 512 yesterday, it fit perfectly, the hole in the lock-bar looks exactly like the one in Yojimbo's last post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Great, then yours is a good one.... I think it is limited to like a batch of bad "locking bars"....
It is good that we know what to look for now....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I received an email today from Dennis who said they will be sending a new locking bar out to try.  I certainly hope this is the only problem and not the built in rails on the sight itself.  I guess if this doesn't work its back to aimpoint products.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, I am intersted in seeing how this works out, because like I have said before, my 511 tilts on EVERY rifle that I have tried it on, so it is the sight, not the rifles!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#39]
My Jan. 06 made 512 has a slight left cant on my Mega upper. EOTech sent me new clamps to try, but none made that much of a difference. I just checked all three of my clamps and they all look like the ones pictured that are suppose to be correct. The hole isn't on any part of the tapered section, but it's still closer to that side than center. If EOTech has another clamp design, please post results.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My Jan. 06 made 512 has a slight left cant on my Mega upper. EOTech sent me new clamps to try, but none made that much of a difference. I just checked all three of my clamps and they all look like the ones pictured that are suppose to be correct. The hole isn't on any part of the tapered section, but it's still closer to that side than center. If EOTech has another clamp design, please post results.

Have you tried it on other rails? If so was it canted on them as well?

Also what do mean by slight cant?  Please post some pics.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Tried it reversed, as well as on my Samson FF. It's not as bad on the Samson, but it's still there. Slight cant meaning it was as bad as those pictured, but by mounting and removing it several times, the rails have seated into the bottom of the site and it's not quite as bad. My pics aren't any different than anyone elses. It's not bad enough now that I am going to worry about it and would purchase another EOTech in a heartbeat...I just want to know if they redesign anything so I can give that a shot. If not, no big deal...sounds like the majority of you guys with canting sites have found a potential solution, for my upper, it just isn't quite enough. Just wanted to let you know my findings and that my late Jan. 06 made EOThing had the "proper" mount. Unlike the picture on page 1, my cross bar is parallel to the site body itself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I have tested the Eotech on several different rails and RRA Dominator.  I thought by replacing the locking bar it would have solved the problem.  I removed protective cover and removed the locking bar. Then, I mounted the sight on a MI rail that had been placed on a flat table.  I can see the internal rail (built up area on the rail channel of the Eotech) fits perfectly on the left side, but the right side does not fit flush on the rail/mount slightly raising the sight on the right side.  I also noticed there is finish worn off on the sight in one particular area and the same area on my Dominator.  The finish remains constant on the other parts of the sight.    I just don't understand how some sights that people have here are perfect and the very next one of the line can be out-of-spec.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I have tested the Eotech on several different rails and RRA Dominator.  I thought by replacing the locking bar it would have solved the problem.  I removed protective cover and removed the locking bar. Then, I mounted the sight on a MI rail that had been placed on a flat table.  I can see the internal rail (built up area on the rail channel of the Eotech) fits perfectly on the left side, but the right side does not fit flush on the rail/mount slightly raising the sight on the right side.  I also noticed there is finish worn off on the sight in one particular area and the same area on my Dominator.  The finish remains constant on the other parts of the sight.    I just don't understand how some sights that people have here are perfect and the very next one of the line can be out-of-spec.  

I removed that little bit of material on mine with a dremel. That fixed me up, and made the sight level.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I just don't understand how some sights that people have here are perfect and the very next one of the line can be out-of-spec.  

I'm not discounting the EOTech mount as the problem but I also think the reason some are a perfect and aren't is also, largely in part, due to inconsistent rail dimensions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks INI, I appreciate the information.  Moreso, I'm not a super engineer or mechanic and having those observations that I made validated by someone else really helps.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I too figured removing a little material from the wear areas would level it out, but no way I'm taking a dremel to it. They should add a little clearance to the underside and utilize a clamp that grabs a little more of the rail like the new Troy improved clamp.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Just a quick update for anyone who participated in this particular discussion.  I received an email from Dennis at Eotech on Friday, 03-17-06:

Thanks for the update. I have the part [locking rail] on the way to you. We currently have our QC looking into it. Once you receive the part, I’d be interested to note if the canting changes or goes away. Please keep me posted. I have also heard of a customer grinding down a portion of the rail. I advise against this, simply because there is a lot that could go wrong doing this. Of course, it would not be applicable under warranty either.  Let me know if you have any questions in the interim.

I'll wait and see if the new locking rail helps, but I still think it is an internal rail issue on the sight.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I have had 5 Troys be crooked on my RRA upper, KNights handguard, Bushmaster, LArue handguard

HOWEVER...my newest EOTECH sits perfectly straight!!!! go figure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top