Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 2:38:37 PM EDT
I think the Accupoint has eclipsed the ACOG as my choice for a general purpose optic on my carbine after some research in this forum.  I know my question was discussed in the excellent "Intermediate Ranges and Close Quarters on One Rifle" thread, but only in a very general sense (not user-specific).

My decision is between the Larue SPR or SPR-EER mounts, and between the amber or red reticle.  Most seem to prefer the "extended eye relief" SPR mount, but my stock weld may be farther back than others.  I tend to keep my nose an inch or two back from the charging handle with the 6-pos stock at an intermediate setting.  I have a standard flattop receiver; i.e., the rail ends at the front of the receiver and does not continue over the handguard.

Here are some considerations for reticle color:
-My wife is red color blind (red generally appears as grey to her) but I have no preference on color.  Anyway I'll be shooting it 90% of the time.
-I don't own any night vision devices so that won't be a factor.

A couple of additional questions: 1) will the Larue mount fit over M4 handguards, or do they stick up too far?  2) What is the height requirement for a BUIS to fit under the scope, or can you use anything that flips up?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about the same scope with one of these for a mount
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9474.asp

seems like an good inexpensive alternative if you dont need QD capability
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was thinking about the same scope with one of these for a mount
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9474.asp

seems like an good inexpensive alternative if you dont need QD capability

True, but then you need a couple of scope rings to mount on top of that.  I like the idea of a one-piece rig (not counting the optic itself) for simplicity's sake, even if it costs a bit more.

Mike, I'm playing devil's advocate here, but what about the argument that amber is more likely to be lost in a tan/yellow background (which seems to be a more likely background in nature than red)?  I would like to have two of the same scope with red and amber reticles for a direct comparison, but unless I get really lucky that's unlikely to happen.  My only shooting experience with Trijicon optics was a TA11 with the red donut, and I've never even looked through a scope with an amber reticle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
    FWIW, I have a TA 47-2 (amber triangle) compact ACOG - have used it in all 4 seasons in NE KS where there is a mixture of greens, browns, and golds (CRP grasslands).  I have never had a washout problem.  I currrently reside in Hawaii where, as you would expect, there is alot of green.  However, what many don't realize until they get here, there is also alot of dark brown, reddish brown, and golden grassland colors as well.  Again, no issues with my reticle.  

Your choices are the same as mine.  My next scope purchase is going to be a TR 21 in amber (when I can raise the $).  I shoot pretty close to "NTCH" at the second pos on a 6-pos stock so I plan to go with the EER.  The amber triangle just plain works for me, but YMMV.

Copperhead  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Ideally I would try both colors, but that's not likely to happen.  I am beginning to lean towards amber, however.  As far as eye relief goes (and relates to mount selection), I should probably measure where my eye sits in relation to the receiver for a more accurate idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
McNamara - See my reply in the other post...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, that takes care of the color issue.

ETA:  I guess this thread should now focus on the mount/eye relief issue.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
SPR-E Mount was designed for the TR-21. Using the SPR mount compromises all the TR-21 advantages on 1.25 reducing the optics effectiveness  at CQB / snap shooting.  When this  scope is to close to your eye it acts like an ACOG/ traditional scope  not  like a Aim point / EOTEC .
Out.
2011BLDR
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top