BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 11/11/2005 2:52:53 PM EDT
Picked up a new Troy sight and it's canted to the left like one other one I've owned.  I've owned three and two have had this problem.  I was hoping their latest round of sights wouldn't have the issue.  Oh well, I'll send them an email.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that a regular model or SKD version?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem on my Troy.  It kind of bothered me, but not enough to shoot them an e-mail.  I think I will now, though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got one last week and it is canted to the left as well.  But when I tried it out it was dead on.

It is slightly annoying, but the important thing is that it does what I want it to do.

Tom
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just got one last week and it is canted to the left as well.  But when I tried it out it was dead on.

It is slightly annoying, but the important thing is that it does what I want it to do.

Tom

Maybe your FSB is canted to match.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i had this problem as well...seems to be the way they mount on the flattop/
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, now you guys are freaking me out...

I really have my eye on a Troy BUIS, but for the money that thing better be A+!!
If anyone does bring this up with them, could you please post their response?
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
is it the flip apature thats crooked or the whole site, base included?

i mounted mine today and @ 25 yrds i had to crank it all the way to the right to get it centered.

now i'm going to center it and see if it looks crooked. it's the newer locking pin model just delivered from SKD.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
pictures?
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i mounted mine today and @ 25 yrds i had to crank it all the way to the right to get it centered.

now i'm going to center it and see if it looks crooked. it's the newer locking pin model just delivered from SKD.

It's the whole sight.  Flip the mast down, look over the sight, and compare the top edge to one of the slots in your rail and see if they are parallel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]
thats what i did and they are not. left side is down 15 thousanths or so, maybe more. with the mast down i will use a feeler guage and see if its flat to the reciever. i might have to move the site a couple of inches forward to check this. maybe you could you do the same?

if i can't get this fixed (yes my front sight is straight with the receiver) which rear buis would you recommend that is low profile and of very high quality?

i read the forum for a couple of weeks before making this choice and figured troy was the best as it seemed to be the most favored. this really disturbs me.... i need a couple of drinks
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread made me go check mine just to be sure.

Looks good to me. It seems like there's been a few Troy issues posted this week, but from my own experience, it's been a great sight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the whole sight.  Flip the mast down, look over the sight, and compare the top edge to one of the slots in your rail and see if they are parallel.

do you have a picture of this canting?
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you have a picture of this canting?

I'll see if I can get my hands on a digital camera.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]

It would be great if you guys could take a picture, but I'll understand if you cant.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#15]
me too, i'm also going to remove it and shoot the same target with the carry handle sight off my other rifle. it shoots straight on with the rear handle sight centered. that should eliminate the issue of crooked barrel or FS.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]

I don't care if you subscribe to the "it's a tool, as long as it works" ethic, but if I'm gonna shell
out well over $100 for a BUIS, it better not look like that!

Thanks for the pic!

I really hope Troy does something about this...
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Bradd_D,

Have you tried any other rear BUIS say an ARMS #40, KAC, etc.?

If so, have they canted as well?  

I ask these questions because my coworker/shooting buddy and I have two uppers that are the cause of the leftward cant.  Our #40s cant with the two uppers that are on our m4geries, but do not cant on any other flattop that we've tried.

In fact, even his EOTech and my LaRue'd ML2 tilt to the left, but not on other uppers.

Just some food for thought.

-Jim
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bradd_D,

Have you tried any other rear BUIS say an ARMS #40, KAC, etc.?

If so, have they canted as well?  

I ask these questions because my coworker/shooting buddy and I have two uppers that are the cause of the leftward cant.  Our #40s cant with the two uppers that are on our m4geries, but do not cant on any other flattop that we've tried.

In fact, even his EOTech and my LaRue'd ML2 tilt to the left, but not on other uppers.

Just some food for thought.

-Jim

The two sights that I have owned with canting issues did it on several different uppers.  My current test bed is one good Troy, one bad Troy, a Colt M4 receiver, and an LMT M4 receiver.  The bad Troy is canted on both receivers and the good Troy is not.  I also have a chopped Colt carry handle that is fine.

The Troy is canted relative to the rail and mounted optics so I don't think the rail is the issue in my case.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
i just returned from shooting. using the handle sight with the indexing centered i was 1/2 inch left, using a kac centered, i was right on.

now switching to the troy with the new index pin i was 10" left with it centered and had to adjust full right and i'm still 2" left at 26 yards.

rifle is a new armalite carbine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Bradd_D,

Literacy > me.

I overlooked the important fact in your first post, stating that you've used a total of three (all your own).

Since the rest of your rail'd goodies are square, then it does sound like the Troy's the one to question.

-Jim
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i just returned from shooting. using the handle sight with the indexing centered i was 1/2 inch left, using a kac centered, i was right on.

now switching to the troy with the new index pin i was 10" left with it centered and had to adjust full right and i'm still 2" left at 26 yards.

rifle is a new armalite carbine.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I don't care if you subscribe to the "it's a tool, as long as it works" ethic, but if I'm gonna shell
out well over $100 for a BUIS, it better not look like that!

Thanks for the pic!

I really hope Troy does something about this...

I sent the picture to them as an attachment in a second e-mail.  I hope they'll get back to me on Monday.

With any luck I'll post a picture of a Troy on my receiver that isn't canted soon after that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]
whoa, thats pretty canted alright.

maybe its cause they are trying to keep up with demand and they are starting to let quality slip
the ones i have are all straight and i got one of them recently and its good too. hope troy makes right of this
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I just received mine a SKD version today, mounted on my Colt 6920 upper looks fine to me didn't even have to adjust the pin detent, it is center with the front sight.  Could it be your upper?
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I just received mine a SKD version today, mounted on my Colt 6920 upper looks fine to me didn't even have to adjust the pin detent, it is center with the front sight.  Could it be your upper?

See my reply 7 posts up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Man, don't know what to say.  It is possible they mess up & made some that were out of spec but I doubted they(Troy) will sell them as good one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#28]
i'm going to send mine back to Troy for examination, in the mean time i will buy a GG&G MAD

from SKD. they will pass in transit and i should be ready to roll. i hope the g-mad is a quality sight,

seems to be from the posts about it (any comments). i'll let you know what happens.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

really! did you shoot it to confirm center adjustment? good deal, maybe just a few out of spec.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Just checked mine and indeed there is a very slight cant.  I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi Idaho,  No, I have not shoot it yet to confirm it is indeed center but did put a Arms #40 buis on my upper & same thing centered with front sight post.  My Arms #40 is confirm centered.  I really don't know what to make of it because I think we both got the SKD version & only SKD have them!  I see if I can post a pic of mine but always have problem posting pic on this forum.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
O.K.  Let see the pic & tell me did it look canted or not?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is another view of the sight folded
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Apparently there are quite a few of these out there with the same issue. A buddy of mine received a bunch of them that are canted in this same fashion. Check this thread out at Lightfighter:

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=7336015661&f=7206084761&m=1491044871&r=6441036181#6441036181
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]
like i said that was the exact same thing as my sight, and i had it on 3 different uppers. If my image hosting service wasnt down id post the same pic ive posted before, looking just like the one already posted.

it has to do with the way the sight tightens down the free side torques down harder and pulls the attached side up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Do you think mine(2 pix above) is canted?  I just received it a couple of days ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
like i said that was the exact same thing as my sight, and i had it on 3 different uppers. If my image hosting service wasnt down id post the same pic ive posted before, looking just like the one already posted.

it has to do with the way the sight tightens down the free side torques down harder and pulls the attached side up.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Do you think mine(2 pix above) is canted?  I just received it a couple of days ago.

looks canted to me but not near as bad as mine.  why would it slip up on the fixed side when tightening? none of my other buis do that?
anybody call them yet this morning?
i have tried twice and can't get through to them, also sent a couple of emails. i'll let you know what they say.
Scott
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#39]
i checked to see if there was a space of any kind under the right side of my sight. using lights, paper etc. i could not detect a lifting or space between the sight and rail.
as skd requested i have tried five times to reach troy, they must be very busy this morning as i get can not get through.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#40]
It may be me, but I went to the Troy site, and they look canted?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#41]
The same happened to me. See my post...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=253925

I sent my entire upper to GG&G for further review (at their request). They found the same problem as I did.

I await to hear their next course of action...
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#42]
well poop! i sent two emails to troy and made three phone calls in the last two days.....

nothing.  i did call skd and joe told me to call troy and skd would do what troy decided.

in the mean time i did order a gg&g from skd as i really would like to get this rifle finished how i want and think another 3 week delay in parts going back n forth would suck.

now i guess when the gg&g shows up and troy doesn't respond i will send the troy back to skd and cancel my credit card charge.

any other idea's, anybody else get a reply from troy?

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Who's fixed & flip-up rear BUIS WILL NOT cant? Particularly on a MEGA upper? I was looking at Troy & GG&G.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Troy has contacted me and wants me to return my rear sight for inspection and repair.

Stay tuned......
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Troy has contacted me and wants me to return my rear sight for inspection and repair.

Stay tuned......

Mine too.  Here's the e-mail:

Ramen,

Thanks for purchasing a Troy Product and your interest in our line.  

These are the summations of what we can extract for the rear sight issue.  When the Rear sight was first designed we have and had to take in account he differences in the tolerance with the 1913 Picitinny rail Specifications.  I will attach this stand so you may hopefully get a little bit more grasp of what I am talking about.  You will notice when you read the spec what is gives a + / - 20 thousands on the top of the rail.

We have come up with a MOD set that will overcome this issue.  The only thing is that you have to send it in to us for the re-mod.  We will expedite the repair of your sight and return it to you.

Best Regards,
Donna

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#46]
ditto, samo, mine is on the way first thing in the morning. hope this mod fixes it to straight up vertical.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Tagged to see what this "mod" is.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I too would like to know what the mod is...
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I too would like to know what the mod is...

Me too, since I have a "leaning tower of Troy"
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll bet they have a different clamp piece for the right side that either has a slightly different angle cut where it meets the 1913 rail OR the junction of both the upper and lower angles on that part is moved ~15 thousands up or down depending on which way the sight is leaning.

I'm just guessing though, as this mod would cost practically nothing and be simple to implement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top