Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2005 9:13:22 PM EDT
And how has the experience been? Regret it at all?
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They are both fine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
SSDT

Same "thing", Different Thread. I think you are asking the same age old question. Aimpoint vs. EO Tech.

But to answer your question ... Aimpoint, because of ease of operation. BUT i'm buying an EOTech soon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the fact that the Aimpoint dot is always centered. Never could get used to the EOTech, but I might get a 553 when they show up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Could check out the Kobra sights too.

They're pretty sweet... for 200~$
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an astigmatism. The EOTech looks fuzzy for me. I've had my Aimpoint M2 for two days, and I do love it so. Trying to get used to all it's features and stuff.

In truth, 6 of one, half dozen of the other, except for battery life.  Try both, pick the one you like.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya not trying to resurrect the dead, just wanted to know which all of you have had better luck with. Though, how can i choose one if i have no way of trying either before i buy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
just wanted to know which all of you have had better luck with. Though, how can i choose one if i have no way of trying either before i buy.

They're really both very good. If you have some friends who have them, why not ask to try them out. You can "handle" them at any gun shop that has them tho. But that would not be the same as looking THROUGH them when mounted on a rifle.

The first time I looked through an EO Tech, I was "blown away". It just seemed that the circle-crosshair around the dot amplified the target making it easier to acquire the same! But at that time, the shape of the unit took some getting use to. But now, i'm beginning to love it and want it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought the eotech because I tried an aimpoint on a friend's rifle and wasnt exactly impressed. Plus, the larger circle around the 1moa dot really makes for fast target acquisition, and it's accurate enough to hit sporting clays at 100yd without much difficulty.

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I own both. And I like them.  But the Aimpoint has [for me]
easier target acquisition properties.  my 2 cents.
apples vs oranges
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I like Eotech better.

1. No ring and mount needed  (save money for ammo)
2. Kool looking little thing
3. Battery easy to find.

just my 2 cents.

everyone has their own different taste..
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I bought the eotech because I tried an aimpoint on a friend's rifle and wasnt exactly impressed. Plus, the larger circle around the 1moa dot really makes for fast target acquisition, and it's accurate enough to hit sporting clays at 100yd without much difficulty.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/DSCF0296.jpg

with that photo the outer ring does look fuzzy, but the dot is sharp. I guess that what counts
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Eotech is the shit.  Aimpoint is the poop.  Shit is superior to poop.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Zack3g summed up my opininon in a nutshell.  I favor the EOTech's reticle more than that of the AimPoint.  It's very easy to shoot at targets at close range with the circle and the 1 MOA dot is very accurate out to medium ranges (300m).  The field of view through an EOTech is also a little better.

I have also heard reports coming back from the sandbox that the AimPoint is not at reliable as its makers tout it to be and soldiers who have used the two units in combat seem to prefer the EOTech.  I will however say that the AimPoint is physically a little sexier looking than the ungainly, potato-like shape of the EOTech.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/DSCF0296.jpg

with that photo the outer ring does look fuzzy, but the dot is sharp. I guess that what counts

That's because the camera was focused on the front sight of the gun and not at infinity.  If the photographer had focused on the background and taken the picture, the ring and dot would appear very sharp.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Am I really gonna be the first one to say this????????????????

GET BOTH!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Without glasses the Eotech is one fat blurry dot all over the window, whereas
the Aimpoint is a smaller blurry dot- so I chose Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I liked the finer dot, yet big CQB circle, of the Eotech better.

Either is  a good choice.  Love that battery life of the Aimpoint
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I got the eotech first because I didn't need to buy a mount.  I now have both and like them equally well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Eotech is the shit.  Aimpoint is the poop.  Shit is superior to poop.

i vote for shit,don't like poop!hy.gif
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I like both but I bought the Aimpoint first, I'll get the EOTech next.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Had the Eotech for a long time but the Aimpoint finally won out. Two reasons,
                             Battery life
                             Easy operation of the switches
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Aimpoint since I carried one in Iraq.

Both are fine.

Max
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Aimpoint.  Single dot is more gooder than a big circle cluttering up my FOV.  My $0.02.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I love my EOTech, but I also love the AP.  I think I might the AP a little better because of the lack of clutter.  I've shot the AP but don't own one.  I want 2 of each.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Owned both...

IMO the biggest advantage of the Aimpoint is the control knob. It's so much easier to use than the Eotech's buttons for me.

Battery life is another plus.

I sold my Eotech...
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have the 512, and I asked EOTech about the fuzziness of the outer ring.  They told me it was normal (as well as being one of the most often asked questions).  It has something to do with the creation of the Hologram, and can be minimized by adjusting the intensity somewhat.  The center dot subtends some very small fraction of a MOA, so that may be why it appears sharper.

As far as battery life - I don't think 1100 hours on a set of batteries sucks - seems pretty good to me.

5Shot
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
EOtech.  It is faster and has a smaller MOA center dot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I chose the Aimpoint. It just looked more durable to me.  The EoTech, with it's more "open" design seemed like it would be more prone to damage.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's because the camera was focused on the front sight of the gun and not at infinity.  If the photographer had focused on the background and taken the picture, the ring and dot would appear very sharp.

Like this.

BTW, I respnded to something similar in another thread a couple weeks ago.

Here's what I said:
I like the EOTech. Here's why.

1.) Small center dot. More precise shooting at longer ranges.
2.) AA batteries. Easy to get and will stand up to the cold well (don't know about the Aimpoint, but I bet it would be OK too)
3.) No extra mount needed.
4.) Turns off automatically if I forget to do it.
5.) Cheaper, but this was just a bonus as I was already set on getting one based on the features listed above.
6.) More snag-free. The EOThingy is more streamlined and won't catch on as much stuff.
7.) Heavy Duty aluminum roll-bar. It'll take a hell of an impact and not hurt the site.
8.) Great customer service. EOTech is known for some of THE best customer service in the industry.
9.) Optional quality mounts are easy to find if you want them, and they come in the standard height and they also have ones that raise the EOTech up enough to clear the window of the sight except for the lower 1/3rd.
10.) Made in the USA

That's why I bought an EOTech 512. The only downside I've run into is the 1,100hr battery life seems pretty short compared to the ML3's 50,000hrs (that's right, 5.7 years on setting 7 out of 10)

Now, that said, I am getting an Aimpoint because in true ARFcom fashion, you have to have both eventually. I think the one I'm getting is a Comp M, although rumor has it that it is an M2. For $194 NIB with mounts, manual, and killflash, I couldn't pass it up, so I decided to jump into the group buy. Should be here by the end of next week.

They are both good optics, and you will be pleased with either of them. Just pick a reticle you like and shoot the hell out of it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the reticle on the EO Tech better, but the controls on the Aimpoint better.  I like the fact that the EO turns itself off.  I am running an EO Tech right now, and my partner runs an Aimpoint.  I like both well enough but the EO is just a nose ahead for what I do.

Now if the EO Tech would cabbage a control knob off the Aimpoint, we'd have something.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I had an Aimpoint, but I also have some astigmatism.  The dot wasn't a dot, it was an oblong oriented from about 2 o'clock to 8 o'clok.  No problem at closer ranges, but at 200m when you are trying to use the top of the dot as the aiming point for a precise shot, it doesn't work.  I like the knob on the Aimpoint much better than the buttons on an Eotech, but I now run an Eotch because the astigmatism doesn't affect the Eotech reticle.  I'd rather have a nice chevron or red triangle like some of the ACOGs, but in the meantime, the Eotech turned out to be the best choice for me.  If compact ACOGs were cheaper, I'd probably run a 1.5x or 2x triangle instead.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Bought an EoTech (from Mike) because of the reticle, but I also like the controls and how it uses AA batteries.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top