Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, I think this is the best of both worlds.  $1200 would be far too much though IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Will there be higher power magnifiers made also?  I think this would be great for the Troy SOPMOD M14
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Regarding the EOTech 3.75x:  I heard it would be available "some time after January" but that it is still under development.  The price of the sight with the magnifier and interface mount is supposed to be considerably less than a Trijicon ACOG - although no price was mentioned.

The mounting interface for the magnifier is a seperate unit that can be removed. There is also rubber piece that fits between the Eotech and the magnifier mount that can also be removed.  I thought the magnifier mount is very easy to use.  You can grab the top of the magnifier and flip the throw lever with one finger and very easily remove and replace the magnifier (which is 3.75x).  The mount has the brightness controls on the left side and the NV button on the right side.  The mounting interface also works for PVS-14s with a special adapter.  The magnifier can be removed and the PVS-14 installed onto the same mount.  The round opening in the rubber "eyecup" is for the NVD - the round lens of the PVS-14 fits into the rubber eyecup so it blocks out any extraneous light that could reflect off the rear window and bloom out the NVD.  You can mount the PVS-14 much closer to the rear window now because you don't have to worry about leaving room to get your fingers in to adjust the brightness controls - since they are moved to the side of the mount.

The BDC is designed specifically for the M4 carbine with M855 ammo.  There are four dots inside the circle.  All dots remain 1 MOA even with the magnifier mounted.  Without the magnifier, they form a short line, like a red front sight post.  EOTech might also make sights with the standard reticle or with 7.62mm reticles for use with the magnifier in the future. (Don't hold your breath)

The 553 is the CR123 version for USSOCOM.   It will have the standard reticle and will also work with the magnifier.  

The reason EOTech's magnifier is not backward compatible is due to the fact that they changed the distance in space where the hologram was focused over the years of production. (It appears to be in focus with your target instead of inside the sight where the image is formed)  If you add a magnifier (like Aimpoint's) on some of the older EOTech sights, the reticle might not appear in focus or it might introduce parallax issues - and hence accuracy issues.  (At least this is what I was told.)

These three photos show a prototype of the EOTech magnified system attached to an ARMS #5 rail.  The last one shows it with the PVS-14 attached.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/bravo551/HMSphoto1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/bravo551/HMSphoto2.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/bravo551/pvs-14001.jpg

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Manx,

Thanks for the additional info and pics!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
We all owe you a few beers for all of that REAL info!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#9]
so what am I supposed to do with all this extra crap hanging of the back of my Larue mount now?

^^^ Not an actual pic of my rifle, I stole this from one of G&R's threads, they have a better camera than I do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got $250 that says you don't have to worry about any of that anymore...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you are saying, but I'm saying that the Larue Eo-Mount was made with that little piece of rail hanging off the back in anticipation of the Eo-Magnifier. It is now obsolete. I don't really care, it doesn't really get in my way, but will Larue now redesign the mount and eliminate that little rail?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you are saying, but I'm saying that the Larue Eo-Mount was made with that little piece of rail hanging off the back in anticipation of the Eo-Magnifier. It is now obsolete. I don't really care, it doesn't really get in my way, but will Larue now redesign the mount and eliminate that little rail?

It was also designed to work with a PVS-14 (which is what I use mine for).

C4

ahhhhhh, I guess any normal person would just ignore it, but I'm not normal so I'll have to sell part of my liver so I can buy a PVS-14 to justify the little piece of rail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Grant, does the USGI PVS-14 mount work on the rear part of the Larue mount?
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice try.

I'll stick with my ACOGS, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]

thanks to Catch22 from MP.net

Frens
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
img26.imageshack.us/img26/443/eotechhms13sx.th.jpg</a> img79.imageshack.us/img79/5504/eotechhms23df.th.jpg</a>
img79.imageshack.us/img79/1134/eotechhms34gd.th.jpg</a> img79.imageshack.us/img79/6420/eotechhms45qy.th.jpg</a>

Frens

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

BTW, looking at your pics it looks like it should be pretty easy to quickly remove the magnifier.   Maybe my eyes a playing tricks on me but it also looks like the little rail protector is not on the ARMS magnifier lever, this should make re-installing the magnifier much easier.

Has anyone got any info that says how much these weigh?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#23]
How have I managed to not see this thread until now????

Cool.  Very cool.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not so sure about the eye relief and the cheek weld you would have to use for this device... It looks like for me I would be about 1inch further back and maybe even an inch higher on the stock just to look through it.

Anyone else see what I'm gettin at?

I love it other then that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
is it Eotech coming up with this whole idea?  this whole thing is starting to head downhill IMHO.  

I understand that those pieces are just prototypes and that looks aren't everything but so far it's looking pretty bad.  

It's not exciting me anymore...

It's still got the aimpoint/magnifier beat pricewise...
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img26.imageshack.us/img26/443/eotechhms13sx.th.jpg</a> img79.imageshack.us/img79/5504/eotechhms23df.th.jpg</a>
img79.imageshack.us/img79/1134/eotechhms34gd.th.jpg</a> img79.imageshack.us/img79/6420/eotechhms45qy.th.jpg</a>

Frens

Anyone notice that you won't be able to fit a BUIS on the receiver with the magnifier on there? If you are running standard HG's you will not be able to push the EOTech far enough forward (EOTech over Delta Ring) to get a BUIS and the magnifier behind it. I could be wrong, but l don't think so.

The other issue is that if you are a nose to CH shooter you are SOL (look how far back the magnifier is sitting). Even if you are NOT a NTCH shooter, remember that the you will need about 3" of eye relief so plan on having your collapsible stock FULLY extended.

C4

Yea I agree that it is be a PITA to get a buis on. I just got my GGG mad buis and I dont even think that it will fit.

If it wont fit with a buis on they will lose a ton of customers (like me)

If you have to use the magnifier, I dont see why you would not need the stock extended since I use magnification for long range targets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone know what the 554 is?

The manual to my new 512(inspected 10/21/05) makes mention of a model 554 a couple of times
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I missed this.  I was saying you could sell the whole mess to me for $250 or trade for a CompM!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#32]
any word on a 552 "Rev G"?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I WANT ONE!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#34]
TAG
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I WANT ONE!

Never mind that ... What about the 553's !!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frens

Anyone notice that you won't be able to fit a BUIS on the receiver with the magnifier on there? If you are running standard HG's you will not be able to push the EOTech far enough forward (EOTech over Delta Ring) to get a BUIS and the magnifier behind it. I could be wrong, but l don't think so.

The other issue is that if you are a nose to CH shooter you are SOL (look how far back the magnifier is sitting). Even if you are NOT a NTCH shooter, remember that the you will need about 3" of eye relief so plan on having your collapsible stock FULLY extended.

C4

I guess you would have to have a monolithic rail or some kind of Rail that allows you to bridge the upper and rails system ??
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Are there any updates available on this item?
Is it going into production anytime soon?

Thanks ~
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#38]
H2O_Man,

Last thing I heard was that the HMS is being redeigned onced more and production may not begin until late this year...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
H2O_Man,

Last thing I heard was that the HMS is being redeigned onced more and production may not begin until late this year...

Yojimbo,

Any intel on what design goals aren't being met and what's forcing the redesign?  I mean many have reported that Aimpoint's magnifier works great with an EoTech.  What are they trying to do to improve above and beyond?  I'd think they'd be better off on fielding the 95% solution now rather thatn trying to perfect that last 5%, but maybe the problems are much more than that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yojimbo,

Any intel on what design goals aren't being met and what's forcing the redesign?  I mean many have reported that Aimpoint's magnifier works great with an EoTech.  What are they trying to do to improve above and beyond?  I'd think they'd be better off on fielding the 95% solution now rather thatn trying to perfect that last 5%, but maybe the problems are much more than that.

Sorry, I but I wasn't able to get any specifics about what exactly is being changed.  

Maybe Dennis Finnegan can chime in and give us some info.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#41]
C4, re: the use of a BUIS:  if you use the ARMS riser pictured by Manx

you ought to be able to push it forward some for a BUIS.  Without the ARMS #5, the EOTech's battery housing may not be high enough to clear the rear of the M4 handguard, the bottom of the new EO's housing looks contoured for the M4 handguard for that matter.  At least that's what I can discern from the pics, without actually playing with one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
H2O_Man,

Yojimbo,

If it ain't good enough for big Uncle Sugar contracts, it ain't gonna be released on the market.  That 5% can kill the deal on a big contract. EOTech designs for the military and listens to the Marine Corps and USSOCOM, not the civie market.  Give 'em time and they will come out with something good.  BTW -This whole thread is based on very limited information about an early prototype design.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Saw it up close and personal at the Shot...I was impressed at the unit and looked through it as well. The 3x glass was very clear along with the reticle.  I was of course very interested with the NV ops with the PVS-14.  They have a built in little hood to stop the any light from interfering between the glass on the 14. It seemed very effective.  

They WILL be re-designing again this year.  I was told the BIGGEST issue thus far is during extreme cold the magnifier is freezing to the base from condensation They also are having conflicting reports from different services on which way the magnifier should work.  Flip to the side (always attached) or removable.  I for one with NV work need to have a removable piece as that is too much hardware to be hanging around to go "bump in the night."  

Overall, VERY impressed, but they're a long way out from production.

That's depressing, I was hoping that it would be out in time to mount on my FS2K since FNs organic optic isn't coming out. How far away is long away? 6 months? Year?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#46]
The firm that represents EOTech (to USSOCOM and USASOCOM) here in Fayetteville has had a magnifier since 2002.  Its a ARMS throw-lever scope ring with a 3x 30mm monocular in it.

No reticle, no nothing.

It works perfectly with a 551 or 552.

If one of these Chinese optics makers were to make such a thing (especially with a swing mount) so we could mount it behind a 551 or 552 (especially on a LaRue mount), now that would be the cat's ass.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I got this email today:

"Thanks for your message.  This has been an on-going project for us.  It is getting closer but due to the USSOCOM contract award we received, many of our engineering man hours have been pulled from the magnifier project.  We are still currently working on a 3.75X system.  I do not have many details because they will probably rethink the current design.  Our goal is to launch this by the end of the year but unfortunately we do not have pricing determined.  As I said, I do not have much information right now, but feel free to contact me in May or June and I should have more precise info."
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top