Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2005 5:24:22 PM EDT
I just got a used EOTech and I like it, but the only issue so far is keeping the mounting screw tight.  Anybody have tricks or links to tricks on keeping these things tight?  Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't call me crazy, but witout using Loctite, try some fingernail polish, I have used this for years on small parts, make sure you clean the threads with a de-greaser.

77Bronc

And before I get the smart remarks, it is my wifes and it is Maybelline Red
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When I first got my EOTech I was still in the "Wow, I have a machine gun" phase in which I blasted off rounds by the thousand.  Even thru that my mounting screw never budged a bit.  

Are you using the thumb screw?  If so, make sure to use a coin and pair of pliers to tighten it.  I would also use Loctite.  If you are using the allen head screw, also use Loctite.  

I put some blue Loctite on my allen head screw just for the hell of it, it's been about 9,000 rounds since then without loosening at all.

BTW, I had a problem with one of the screws holding my protective hood on coming loose, an e-mail to EOTech and they sent me new screws with Loctite pre-applied as well as ALL the mounting hardware.  I would send them an e-mail, I'm sure they will send you new screws, block, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use the thumbscrew, I tighten it finger tight then go a quarter turn more using a quarter.

+1

None of mine have ever moved.

BTW, if in doubt, send them an email. Their Customer Service is top notch, ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 5/27/2005 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I use the thumbscrew, I tighten it finger tight then go a quarter turn more using a quarter.

I called customer service and asked, because mine fell off

What treetop said is pretty much what EOTECH CS said
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've done that twice now and it came loose both times.  I will apply Loctite this time and see how that goes.  I was hoping I wouldn't need to.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done that twice now and it came loose both times.  I will apply Loctite this time and see how that goes.  I was hoping I wouldn't need to.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe newer EOTechs were modified with the addition of a plastic washer under the head of the mounting screw to help hold it tight.

Does yours have the washer?
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Yup, the thumbscrew, blue locktite.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This

+

This

I haven't had a problem with mine coming loose, yet.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not fond of the thumb screw. This was my YHM.

In talking with an EO Tech LEO field rep he recommended the standard hex screw. He said that in his experience, based upon feedback from the field, it works the best.

I have a GG&G mount. In my limited use it works very well.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]

+

=

I'm trying to avoid breaking anything, if possible.  These EOTech mounting screws aren't the strongest things in the world.  Since I'm shooting this rifle weekly, if not more, I need something else.  In two weeks, it's come loose twice.  I'll try some Loctite 242 on it for next week.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#12]
From EOTech
*Install the Knurled Weaver Bolt and rotate the head until resistance is felt.
*Using a coin rotate the bolt head an additional 3/4 turn to fully tighten.
*This is equivalent to approximately 17in-lb
Note Do Not Use Any Thread Locking Adhesive On The Threads (such as Loctite products).

My thumb screw broke off at the threads and EOTech sent me replacement screw set and this note came with the parts.

I had the thumb screw Loctited because mine also fell off while shooting, I havent shot this AR with the sight mounted as discribed in the EOTech note yet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Their Customer Service is top notch, ask me how I know.

ok, how do you know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not fond of the thumb screw. This was my YHM.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26667

In talking with an EO Tech LEO field rep he recommended the standard hex screw. He said that in his experience, based upon feedback from the field, it works the best.

I have a GG&G mount. In my limited use it works very well.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36474

Mike

I quit using the aftermarket screws I've broken two of the YHM screws, they're quality is crappier than the stock thumb screw.  I use the stock thumb screw with a drop of blue loc-tite mounted on a LaRue mount and it hasn't come loose.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Yeah, that makes sense

I just followed the directions in the EOTech manual. Something like fingertight, and then a fraction of a turn. Seems to be pretty tight, and it hasn't come loose (or broken) yet.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I've tightened it finger tight, plus at least 1/2 turn both times.  This an older used EOThingey, so maybe the thumbscrew threads or the locking bar threads, or both, are a bit worn.  I'm on a LaRue mount also.  Maybe Loctite 242 ("blue" Loctite) is the answer.  I'm considering one of those GG&G lever lock mounts, but I'm not sure if it is worth the $90 or so to get it.  And, somebody might call me a gear queer and hurt my feelings......................................................................................again.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've tightened it finger tight, plus at least 1/2 turn both times.  This an older used EOThingey, so maybe the thumbscrew threads or the locking bar threads, or both, are a bit worn.  I'm on a LaRue mount also.  Maybe Loctite 242 ("blue" Loctite) is the answer.  I'm considering one of those GG&G lever lock mounts, but I'm not sure if it is worth the $90 or so to get it.  And, somebody might call me a gear queer and hurt my feelings......................................................................................again.

If you contact

Dennis Finnegan
Customer Service Manager
(734) 741-8868 x3919
dfinneganATeotech-inc.com
EOTECH INC.
3600 Green Ct. STE 400
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Fax (734) 741-8221

He'll send you a new threaded insert, screw (either type you want) and new sheild screws free of charge.  I broke two and he sent me new stuff everytime.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Mongo,

Did our EOTech come with a plastic washer on the thume screw?  If not you want to call EOTech and have them send you one.

The new EOTech's come with a small plastic washer that sits under the thumbscrew to keep it from getting loose.  I remember my Rev E did not have one and it would start to loosen after a few hundred rounds were fired.

I talked to EOTech about this and they sent me one of the washers and it completely cured my Rev E from getting loose.

My 552 Rev F came with the washer, I hand tighten it and give it an extra 1/2" turn with a quarter.  So far I've never had my Rev F loosen up even after 1500 rounds.  

ETA: I'm surprised no one has told you to get an Aimpoint yet!
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mongo,

Did our EOTech come with a plastic washer on the thume screw?  If not you want to call EOTech and have them send you one.

The new EOTech's come with a small plastic washer that sits under the thumbscrew to keep it from getting loose.  I remember my Rev E did not have one and it would start to loosen after a few hundred rounds were fired.

I talked to EOTech about this and they sent me one of the washers and it completely cured my Rev E from getting loose.

My 552 Rev F came with the washer, I hand tighten it and give it an extra 1/2" turn with a quarter.  So far I've never had my Rev F loosen up even after 1500 rounds.  

Like I mentioned early on!
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mongo,

No plastic washer, I'll have to look into that.

Quoted:
Get an Aimpoint! then again you probably have 1 or 5 already.

I have had a total of five so far, but I presently own only two.  I'm still an Aimpoint guy, but I try not to criticize any product without owning and trying one.   I poke alot of fun at many things, but I don't throw heart felt criticism unless I have a basis for it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I have your solution.

And it's name is: LaRue
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#23]
dont tighten it too tight. I snapped mine off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have your solution.

LaRue what?  I'm already sitting on the LaRue mount.  Does LaRue have something else for this, other than the riser mount?  The problem is solely in the EOTech itself, in the screw and/or locking bar.  The EOTech still has to mount to the LaRue mount, as pictured below.

Link Posted: 5/29/2005 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I've used the allen head screw on the 3 EOTechs I've owned  (never used the thumb screw) and have never had one come loose. Of course I crank that f****r down pretty good!
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have your solution.

LaRue what?  I'm already sitting on the LaRue mount.  Does LaRue have something else for this, other than the riser mount?  The problem is solely in the EOTech itself, in the screw and/or locking bar.  The EOTech still has to mount to the LaRue mount, as pictured below.

img162.echo.cx/img162/2653/dsc020304pj.th.jpg
img288.echo.cx/img288/4922/dsc020350oc.th.jpg

I'f you're already on a QD mount, why not just use the allen head screw with some Loctite?  Then it'll never come out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have your solution.

img162.echo.cx/img162/2653/dsc020304pj.th.jpg</a>
img288.echo.cx/img288/4922/dsc020350oc.th.jpg</a>

I'f you're already on a QD mount, why not just use the allen head screw with some Loctite?  Then it'll never come out.

The LaRue mount isn't 100% QD.  It has an allen screw on the front part that would require a tool to remove.  You can see it in the pic.  I think that EOTech doesn't recommend putting Loctite on the screw because they are known to be fragile, and should I ever want it off, it might break rather than coming off.  Just thinking out loud, I guess.  Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have your solution.

img162.echo.cx/img162/2653/dsc020304pj.th.jpg</a>
img288.echo.cx/img288/4922/dsc020350oc.th.jpg</a>

The LaRue mount isn't 100% QD.  It has an allen screw on the front part that would require a tool to remove.  You can see it in the pic.  I think that EOTech doesn't recommend putting Loctite on the screw because they are known to be fragile, and should I ever want it off, it might break rather than coming off.  Just thinking out loud, I guess.  Thanks,

That screw on the LT EO mount is to tighten the detent enough to keep it tight, but not so much that you can't get the mount off by hand.

If you ever had to get the EOTech off, and the screw broke, they will send you a new screw without questions.  Hell, e-mail them your concerns, citing your problems with it coming loose, and I bet they send you new mounting hardware right now as spares.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The LaRue mount isn't 100% QD.  

Yes it is.  Just throw the lever and pull it off.

It has an allen screw on the front part that would require a tool to remove.

1) Stop hanging around Jack.

2) You do not need to remove it.  You just set it once the first time you install the mount.  It just stabilizes the front end of the mount.

The LaRue EOTech mount solves your problem - if you don't want the increase in height buy the GG&G mount (if you're feeling lucky).

FYI prior to using the LaRue I used the YHM EOTech enhanced screw and I loved it.  I never had a problem with it comming loose.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had my Rev. F 512 (no plastic washer) mounted on a LaRue mount for the last 8-10 months.  I faithfully followed  EOTech's mounting instructions and hadn't experienced any problems (3000+ rounds) until I was shooting this morning.

Now ain't that f**king embarrasing - to have one's sight fall off the gun in the middle of a shoot...

The LaRue stayed in place nicely, but I'm calling BS on whatever EOTech has to say about mounting (unless someone can convince me otherwise).  For my second attempt, I'm going with the hex screw and blue locktite.  If the sight loosens up and/or falls off even one more time, I'm ditching the sight and going back to an Aimpoint.  Too bad too, because I really prefer the EOTech reticle.

Couldn't they have come up with something a little more durable than a single screw?
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The LaRue EOTech mount solves your problem

FWIW, no it doesn't.  The problem is in the mounting screw and locking bar in the EOTech.  It refuses to stay tight, whether it's mounted to the LaRue mount or a receiver.  I could "permenently" attach it to the LaRue mount (Loctite or whatever), but I really don't want to go that route if I can avoid it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't give up yet!  Like I mentioned before ask EOTech to send you a plastic lock washer.  This washer is sandwiched between the thumbscrew and the sight hood and it will keep your thumbscrew from getting loose.  

Also, nothing is permanent and you need to oeriodically check all your screws, bolts, mounts to make sure everything is tight.

Quoted:
I've had my Rev. F 512 (no plastic washer) mounted on a LaRue mount for the last 8-10 months.  I faithfully followed  EOTech's mounting instructions and hadn't experienced any problems (3000+ rounds) until I was shooting this morning.

Now ain't that f**king embarrasing - to have one's sight fall off the gun in the middle of a shoot...

The LaRue stayed in place nicely, but I'm calling BS on whatever EOTech has to say about mounting (unless someone can convince me otherwise).  For my second attempt, I'm going with the hex screw and blue locktite.  If the sight loosens up and/or falls off even one more time, I'm ditching the sight and going back to an Aimpoint.  Too bad too, because I really prefer the EOTech reticle.

Couldn't they have come up with something a little more durable than a single screw?

Link Posted: 5/30/2005 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
 I could "permenently" attach it to the LaRue mount (Loctite or whatever), but I really don't want to go that route if I can avoid it.

Use blue or purple lockTite - it will hold, but will allow removeal of the sight from the mount (though why you'd need to is another question).  The blue holds tight - but not tight enough to cause the screw to break if you want to remove it (BTDT).
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Don't give up yet!  Like I mentioned before ask EOTech to send you a plastic lock washer.  This washer is sandwiched between the thumbscrew and the sight hood and it will keep your thumbscrew from getting loose.  

Also, nothing is permanent and you need to oeriodically check all your screws, bolts, mounts to make sure everything is tight.

Quoted:

I'll make my own at work and see if it will work.  If not, I'm cornered into Loctite.  I have both "blue" (242) and "purple" (222) and may try both.  The GG&G lever lock does look intriguing, though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2005 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:48:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I got the GG&G Accucam mounting screw repacement.  It is not a riser, just simply a cam operated mounting screw replacement.  It is easy to install and it locks up pretty tight.  It may be a snag issue, but I'm thinking not likely.  I'll put a couple hundred rounds through the rifle tomorrow to see how it holds up.  Pics to follow, if I remember.

I'm registered for a Tac match here in MI in July, and I'm seriously thinking of using the Dissergy rifle with my superlight as a backup.  That would be a good reliability and snag test for the whole system, but especially the GG&G Accucam.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top