BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2005 11:45:55 PM EDT
I recently purchased my second Troy rear BUIS and I noticed something different about the two.  The first was purchased back in December but both are second generation sights with the dual apertures.  What's weird is the dimple machined out around the apertures holes are reversed between the two.  The one I bought in December has the dimpled side of the apertures facing the shooter (both large and small peeps) while the new sight has the dimples facing away from the shooter (again both large and small).

1)  How is your Troy BUIS set up?
2)  Does anyone know why they reversed these?
3)  What purpose does the dimple serve?  Both my Colt detachable carry handle and my Colt A2 upper share a different setup (which is probably more common) than the Troys.  The dimples face each other.  The large apertures dimple faces away from the shooter while the small apertures dimple faces the shooter, depending on which apertures is in use.

PS:  I was going to set up a survey but either a) don't have that ability at my member level or b) just don't have that ability... period.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
i didnt see any dimples anywhere on the buis but if you mean the beveled edge side around the hole of the arpeture then mine are facing away towards the front
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The Troy BUIS I got also had the recessed area on the wrong side.  I just talked to the dealer I purchased it from and we both agreed it was not right and I've sent it back for an exchange.

I would do the same if I were you.

BTW, the dimple or recessed area around the hole serves to limit the effect of glare especially when using the small aperture.  On the large aperture it's not really an issue but the small aperture should have the recessed area facing the shooter's eye when it's deployed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i didnt see any dimples anywhere on the buis but if you mean the beveled edge side around the hole of the arpeture then mine are facing away towards the front

So you're saying that when you deploy either aperture the recessed or beveled area is not towards your eye but rather on the other side?  If so you have the same issue I had and the it looks like someone was sleeping when the apertures were being machined.  

You may want to talk with the dealer you purchased it from to get exchnaged for one with the properly mached apertures.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two of the Troy sights, and on both the beveled area of the aperture is facing away from me... Hmmm...

Link Posted: 4/25/2005 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have two of the Troy sights, and on both the beveled area of the aperture is facing away from me... Hmmm...

Sounds like there was a QC issue at Troy...

I have some pics at home showing what I got and what they're suppose to look like.  I'll post the pics later tonight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The Troy BUIS I got looked exactly like Buck_Naked's.  The peep hole recess is definitely machined on the wrong side because it will not be facing the shooter's eye when it's deployed.

If your Troy BUIS looks like Buck's it needs to get exchanged!

Here's I pic I borrowed from Denny's Guns that shows how the Troy BUIS should look when viewing it from the front.  Notice how the peep hole recess will face the shooter's eye when it's flipped up.  The apertures on this BUIS are machined properly.

Here's th BUIS I exchanged.  Notice how the peep hole recess is on the wrong side compared to the one above.

ETA: Pics...
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I wondered about this when I got my second sight, but when I compared it to my first, bought at different times from different dealers and both were the same, I figured it was meant to be that way. Thanks for pointing this out.

I emailed Troy, and hope they are willing to fix this directly, rather than putting the burden on the dealers to do it.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
My TROY rear sight has the apertures machined wrong as well!  I tried calling TROY but the phone number on their website is out of service.  I sent them an e-mail.  I'll let you know what happens when I get a reply.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I just looked at the one I bought two weeks ago from ADCO and it's backwards. Looks like I'll be contacting them about getting it switched out.

yakrat101
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Woohoo!  Mine's correct!
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the response guys!  Yes, the one I just received looks like Buck_Naked's.  My older one looks just like the one Yojimbo posted.  I just contacted my dealer, but would be interested to hear what Troy says about it.  Hell, if they would send out just the apertures, I could replace it myself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Jut checked mine, it's good...thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Just checked mine is good to go also
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one good and one not so good

I would rather that Troy just send out a replacement aperture.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Just checked mine and it is right, I ordered another last week and I hope it is right too when it comes in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok,
So those of you with not-so-good ones, when did you get them?

Those of you with "good" ones, when did you get yours?

Rich
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought mine on 4/12 from ADCO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ok,

Rich

The good one was purchased in January. The not so good one was purchased in March.

ETA: Trumpet, I know that you are thinking of getting one of these, so just ask the seller to open the box and make sure it is good to go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ok,

Rich

I got mine from two different dealers, but won't mention names as it wasn't there fault and don't feel they need to lose business over it. Just check with whomever you are interested in buying it from and see if its correct or not. All the dealers who sell these here will take care of you.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is backwards as well.  I emailed Troy, hopefully they will get back to me.

Rich
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok,

Rich

I agree, the dealers really have nothing to do with it.  They get it in and they ship it out.  It's not their job to check each and every one.  

The BUIS I purchased back in December is correct.  The one I just received I ordered about three weeks ago.  They were out of stock at the time, but the dealer shipped as soon as they received their stocking order.  So, this new sight is brand new.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I was looking at a Troy sight and was thinking that I would prefer the little hole aperture to be in the viewing position when the sight flips up instead of the big one.  Seems to me that if the aperture is resessed on the wrong side of both holes that you could reverse the aperture and then it would be correct.  It would just flip with the little hole up in place instead of the big.  Anyone know if this is correct?
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was looking at a Troy sight and was thinking that I would prefer the little hole aperture to be in the viewing position when the sight flips up instead of the big one.  Seems to me that if the aperture is resessed on the wrong side of both holes that you could reverse the aperture and then it would be correct.  It would just flip with the little hole up in place instead of the big.  Anyone know if this is correct?

I was just looking at my sight and I think your idea would work.  The only thing that would not work in that case is the little alignment line out on the end of the small aperture.  It would no longer line up with the graduations on the body.  I personally don't use them, but somebody might.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 2:05:38 AM EDT
[#26]
man that sucks.

oh well hopefully troy will do whats right and at least send us some correct aperatures to replace the bad ones. going to send them an email and see what happens then.
if anyone gets word on what to do from anyone could yall post it so the rest could get a heads up on how to deal with the matter.

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#27]
look at the pic they have posted on the troy site.

it has the beveled edge facing the front also. maybe its to keep the glare out of your eyes when the sun is facing you????????

link to troy buis pic

eta: n/m thats there older buis
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for later, so I can check mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#29]
i think its set up that way so there is less glare shining into your eye

i shoot nose to ch so my head would block any sunlight from hitting the buis along with the ears on the side of the aperature, just something i thought about while looking at it.

maybe the older ones are wrong or the newer ones is an update.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

i shoot nose to ch so my head would block any sunlight from hitting the buis along with the ears on the side of the aperature, just something i thought about while looking at it.

Nope, the dimple should face the shooters eye.  You are correct that the dimple is there to reduce the effects of glare. Without the dimple it can get difficlut to look through the small aperture in very bright sunlight.  

This is not a new concept and you can this dimple older rifle sights like the Sharps Rifle sights pictured below.  You can also see that the idea of a folding sight is also nothing new.

Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I just called and spoke with Sheryl. She said the calls are starting to come in. At this time she said to send the BUIS back and they would swap it out. I requested to have an aperture sent to me so I won't have to remove the sight and spend the time and money to send the sight to them. She is checking into how they are going to deal with it. So, if you want to express your preference in how they deal with this I would call Troy and let your desire be known. Or you can send an email and let it sit in their inbox for a few days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I just called TROY and spoke with Cheryl too.  She started to slightly laugh at first (I knew why) and she said the calls were starting to come in.  I told her that I found out about the problem on AR-15.com and everyone is checking their sights. This is the first that she has heard of the problem, and hasn't even started getting it resolved yet.  She did say that I can send my sight back to TROY and they would send me a replacement, which is what I'm going to do so I don't have to wait.

I'm glad that even though this is a new problem for them (this morning), that Cheryl is offering a relacement right away before they figure out what is the best solution.  I'll be sending my sight out ASAP.

If TROY ends up reading this thread, I just want to say THANKS for the great customer service so far.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, the dimple should face the shooters eye.  You are correct that the dimple is there to reduce the effects of glare. Without the dimple it can get difficlut to look through the small aperture in very bright sunlight.  

This is not a new concept and you can this dimple older rifle sights like one Sharps Rifle sight pictured below.  You can also see that the idea of a foldeing sight is also nothing new.

www.tristarsportingarms.com/images/Creedmore-Sight-Set.jpg

As I mentioned above, it's interesting to note that the standard A2 sight (at least the ones on my Colts) have the dimple facing the shooter on the small aperture but have the dimple facing away on the large aperture.  I can see the importance on the small aperture and I guess it doesn't make much of a difference on the large.

It would be nice if Troy sent out replacment apertures.  But, I guess I'll wait and see how they want to handle it.  If anyone else hears something, please post it here.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
TROY should be posting some more info on this subject shortly, but TROY has changed the ap. around on PURPOSE.

C4

Good, cause I don't to have to swap anything out.  Looking foreward to hearing the truth.

--Josh
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TROY should be posting some more info on this subject shortly, but TROY has changed the ap. around on PURPOSE.

C4

Good, cause I don't to have to swap anything out.  Looking foreward to hearing the truth.

--Josh

+1

As long as they don't switch it back to the original style in a week after all of us suckers agree to keep these screwed up apertures.

Just kidding
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

C4

I assume they changed it to have the recesses facing towards the shooter?  I'd like to know before I send my sights out.  They'll be in the mail tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

C4

could you elaborate on this grant???  is my assumption correct then???
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I know that TROY made these backup sights with the open aperture visible first, because if you need to deploy these sights you'll probably need the open aperture for too-close-for-comfort targets.  If the targets are farther away, you'll have the time to flip to the smaller aperture.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

could you elaborate on this grant???  is my assumption correct then???

+1 Yeah, I want to hear their explaination on this one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm the ding dong Neil refers to.have
Take care,
Jim
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Well, Im at a total loss... After reading all this I called up the guy who told me he was catching a lot of glare on his Troy sight. I thought I had it all figured out and I'd be the bearer of good news. Turns out Im not.

He told me the dimple on his sight faces his eye and that its actually the dimple which is CATCHING the light and is the cause for the reflection. He has a few other BUIS, ARMS #40L and a GG&G. He says the Troy apperature is shinier than the others. He told me he has about 600 ot 700 rounds through his gun since he put the Troy sight on, and has shot it in many different lighting conditions, and the glare was very distracting.

The guy shoots and trains often, he knows gear and I trust what he says. I have only shot my Troy sight to zero under a covered range. I wonder what some of you others have noticed. I'll have to try to shoot in more varried conditions and more often with ine to see if I cant duplicate this problem.

I looked at new-argirls Troy and see that hers wont havce a glare problem at all because it is painted! I'll have to do it with mine. For the record, each of our Troy sights has the dimple facing the eye.

Now I really need for TROY to tell their side of the story.    I'd like to know which version is more preferable, or correct before I send my sight back.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm the ding dong Neil refers to.

I have a Troy gen II BUIS.  The dimple is facing the shooter.  I have around 600+ rounds, in various lighting conditions, through these sights.  The dimple facing me in both the large and small app greatly contributes to glare.  Obnoxious amounts of glare.  Any of you folks that have a rear app that has the dimple facing AWAY from the shooter I will gladly swap sites with you.  Don't take my word for it.  Go to the range and shoot the weapon under sunlight.  If glare is not a problem don't switch.  Easier still just clear the weapon and go stand under the sunlight and look though both sides of the sight.  You decide which has less glare and act accordingly.  

Take care,
Jim

It figures you make this post when it's dark out here.  Now I have to wait until morning to see for myself.  I hope it's not a cloudy day tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag.  This is interesting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#46]
My Troy BUIS has the concave side(s) facing away from me when deployed.  Bought it in March of this year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#47]
if the dimple is suppose to be away from the shooters face what is the point of having it?

all the other sights have the dimple facing toward the shooter
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
My recess faces my eyeball. Waiting to hear what's correct, and why.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Another data point here.  This thread had me wondering too so I checked my non-Troy sights.

Bushmaster A1 upper - concave facing away from shooter
Bushmaster A2 upper - small aperture concave facing shooter

Just trying to contribute.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm just confused now.

Just tell me how it's s'posed ta be and I'll see if it works for me.

yakrat101
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top