Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:26:31 AM EDT
$400.00.   I can't afford an the price of $1,000.00 optics, and I thought I wanted an Aimpoint, but I don't like the 3X set up they have.    Can someone point me in the right direction?  I don't want a cheap scope.  Even a 2X-7X with illuminated retical wouldn't be too far off from what I want, but I would really prefer a 1.5 or lower as the lowest magnification.  This will go on my new AR that I'm building; a 16" flat top with flip up front and rear irons.  

Thanks for your help, I didn't find any threads that had this information.   Sorry if this has been beaten to death.

guns762
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You want a variable scope thats under $400 and not cheap?  I say its impossible but Id check VariX II scopes in that range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint - a little more than your budget, but a good choice.  

Do a search , it has been discussed recently.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I am considering the Accupoint.  I am also looking at Leoupold's VX-III model, but it also is more than I would like to spend, but if it is my only option, I might go for it.  Does anyone have any opinions on models from Burris, Pentax, ect?  I know they are not Leupolds.  Both sell a scope similar to what I am looking for.  Does Leupold make a VX-II model that is illuminated?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$400.00.   I can't afford an the price of $1,000.00 optics, and I thought I wanted an Aimpoint, but I don't like the 3X set up they have.    Can someone point me in the right direction?  I don't want a cheap scope.  Even a 2X-7X with illuminated retical wouldn't be too far off from what I want, but I would really prefer a 1.5 or lower as the lowest magnification.  This will go on my new AR that I'm building; a 16" flat top with flip up front and rear irons.  

Thanks for your help, I didn't find any threads that had this information.   Sorry if this has been beaten to death.

guns762

200719 LRS Lighted Reticle Scope 1.5X-6X-40 Sig Selct, Electro-Dot Reticle, Matte Finish

New optic for this year bye Burris....You should be able to get it for 400.00 deliverd

Bigant
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
[200719 LRS Lighted Reticle Scope 1.5X-6X-40 Sig Selct, Electro-Dot Reticle, Matte Finish

New optic for this year bye Burris....You should be able to get it for 400.00 deliverd

Bigant

That fits the bill.  Do you have an opinion on the scope?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[200719 LRS Lighted Reticle Scope 1.5X-6X-40 Sig Selct, Electro-Dot Reticle, Matte Finish

Bigant

That fits the bill.  Do you have an opinion on the scope?  

No since it's a brand new optic for this year....but its part of their Sig select series and I have not heard of any complaints about burris.....but then again you hear people complain about NXS, Leupold ect.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not illuminated, but so far I have been very happy with a Leupold 1.5x5x20 VXIII. Got it on sale for less than $350.
I was also going to consider a Burris illuminated, but when I ran across the deal on the Leupold I couldn't resist.
Yes, you will want that flip up front sight, thats my next project.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can raise your price ceiling to $500, SWFA has a Burris 1.5x6x40 Euro Diamond scope with illuminated reticle for about $489.  If you don't need the illumination feature the scope can be had for about $409.  They also carry a 1.5x6x40 Signature Select that is even less.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Burris LRS 3x9...fwiw, the lit reticle isn't practical in any kind of bright light...it would work good at dusk/dawn, or on a cloudy day, however.  There is a notable "tube" effect when I look through this scope on 9x...confirmed by several other folks at the range the day I took it out to sight it in.   I don't know if this is a defective scope or not, but I wouldn't rate it very high on my scope hierarchy, I'm sad to say...for the $300 or so I paid for it, I sorta wish I had gotten something else.  

If you can live with the 3x9 model, a place called On Point Firearms down in FLA somewhere has the accupoint for $420....MUCH cheaper than I've seen it at other places.  Even w/o seeing it, I would recommend it over the Burris.  

(I have another Burris scope that doesn't have enough downward movement to zero on 3 different ARs...the ONLY scope I own that I have that problem with....so I've got over $600 invested in 2 Burris scopes that aren't much good to me...I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting 2 more Weaver Grand Slams instead!)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
That is good advice...with the exception of the accupoint, most illuminated reticle scopes (conventional type scopes) are visible in low light only. Also, I think that the battery life is kinda short and in some cases the warranty will be different. When I was looking at the Burris illuminated I noticed that the lifetime warranty did not apply to the illuminated model.

After seeing the  bad press about Burris (you can search them here and find more negative comments) I'd be reluctant to go that route myself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 3-9x40 Accupoint. Terrific optic, and I am a bit suprised that they are not more popular: Reasonable price, BAC, variable power, good optics, good warranty, dual-lit reticle. Sheesh, about the only thing I could think of adding would be an adjustable objective.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That is good advice...with the exception of the accupoint, most illuminated reticle scopes (conventional type scopes) are visible in low light only. Also, I think that the battery life is kinda short and in some cases the warranty will be different.

I believe that the new scope can come only with a single dot.  In at least the advertisements, it is shown in bright day light.  I will research the warranty.

thanks for your opinions!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my Ultradot Microdot 1.5-4.5x.  

Might want to check them out. I bought mine used for under $200.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Some guys here may know already that I sorta like the Accupoint. I would love to see Trijicon make a  1.5x6 version with a 30mm tube though. That would really rock!

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Who makes this?  Link?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who makes this?  Link?

Try this one. www.ultradotusa.com/

I've had mine awhile so I'm not sure how availability is now.

They are made by the same people that make the Ultradot reddot scope which has a very good reputation.

10.5 oz and 9.9 in
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a 3-9x40 Accupoint. Terrific optic, and I am a bit suprised that they are not more popular: Reasonable price, BAC, variable power, good optics, good warranty, dual-lit reticle. Sheesh, about the only thing I could think of adding would be an adjustable objective.

Really do not need an adjustable objective on a 3-9 scope.  What the Accupoint needs is a 30mm main tube, true target turrets or BDC cams and a Mil-dot reticle.  Basically a marriage between an Accupoint and a MR/T.  Hey a man can dream, can't he...........  The triangle is a good reticle, but should be improved upon with better ranging capabilities at least.  Trijicon has had on there website mention of developing a higher powered scope for sometime.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Burris Fullfield II with illuminated ballistic plex.  I can see the illumination in the DAYLIGHT on the LOW setting.  For me, it's actually a bit TOO bright because I mainly use the illumination at night anyway.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top