User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By photoman:
Tacpoints going to school this weekend. After this, it's saltwater test timeherokee

After all you have put the TP through and it has survived and kept performing, why would you want to destroy it if it survives the salt water test.  Why not just keep using/abusing it the way you have to see if it will fail from rugged use?  It would be nice to know how much real abuse it can take.  Let the red-headed step child live on
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By AKJeeper:

Tacpoints going to school this weekend. After this, it's saltwater test time, possibly followed by get run over by a jeep cherokee time

After all you have put the TP through and it has survived and kept performing, why would you want to destroy it if it survives the salt water test.  Why not just keep using/abusing it the way you have to see if it will fail from rugged use?  It would be nice to know how much real abuse it can take.  Let the red-headed step child live on

I would guess from other optics I've seen been run over from vehicles of much higher GVW that it would survive.  More shock would come from repeat firings.  Unless you drove it over on concrete I cant see the housing having issues.

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By KevinB:

Originally Posted By AKJeeper:

Tacpoints going to school this weekend. After this, it's saltwater test time, possibly followed by get run over by a jeep cherokee time

I would guess from other optics I've seen been run over from vehicles of much higher GVW that it would survive.  More shock would come from repeat firings.  Unless you drove it over on concrete I cant see the housing having issues.

Heavy packed gravel out at the range was what I was thinking. But yer probably right. Mayb it would be better to do it on concrete.

As to the more shock from repeted fireings, anyone have a FA maduce that this could get mounted to for some "shock" therapy?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a 12ga.

Not a .50 but easier to locate  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 3:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#5]

Try a 12ga.

Not a .50 but easier to locate  

True, true.

I guess I better get a rail for the mossburg.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#6]
It may have been posted but there's getting to be too many pages. Are these truly parallax free?

After seeing what has been done to them, I may consider it as a hold over/back up. I'd like to have an EOTech and an Aimpoint, but can't afford both. Sure sounds like a great deal for an average plinker.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]

AAhh I had the picture in my head of him preforming this "test" in the drive way ie on the black top.  I guess I just had a hard time picturing any optics surviving when run over by a vehicle.

Now shock testing on a heavy cal gun, I would be interested in how that turns out.

My TP showed up here today, but I will say I dont have the kahonas to throw mine down range.  So I will just have to read here on how it preforms in other shock tests.  And I must say I have enjoyed reading the abuse/testing some people have put theirs through.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By LotI:
This mount should be waiting for me when I get home from work.  It's on the big brown truck.  I'll see how it is.

Promag from Midway

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=150403
edit:  installed it and the irons are in the lower 3rd of the scope.  Well built and even has a spare battery compartment.  We'll see how it is under fire.

Is any one using this mount. If so does it co-witnes with the AR sights.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usagold] [#9]
what mount will co-wittnes if the promag mount wont work. For A-3 upper
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I just used an YHM scope riser block with the mount that came with the TP.  Granted it is not the best looking setup, but I did not feel like spending more money on the mount than I did  on the optics.   This setup lets you co-witnes at about the lower 1/3 of the view.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhe888] [#11]
I bought one of those, and managed to pull the crossbolt out of it by tightening the thumbscrew.  Maybe I overtightened it, but I only used hand pressure, and I'm no Charles Atlas. The crossbolt was held in by a roll pin, and I sheared that thing right off. Also, the finish is some kind of paint. I was not overly impressed. I replaced it with a used ARMS mount I bought used on the EE.

The mount did put the red dot just over the front sight post. Iron sights werre right at the bottom third of the scope tube.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I just found a TacPoint at the FLGS for $75, brand new. (This is the single mount, the double mount was $85.)

Now I need a mount that will raise the dot over a fixed front sight, preferably with the irons in the view below the dot.  What's a CHEAP way to do that?

Appreciate any help,

Larry
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Larry1096:
I just found a TacPoint at the FLGS for $75, brand new. (This is the single mount, the double mount was $85.)

Now I need a mount that will raise the dot over a fixed front sight, preferably with the irons in the view below the dot.  What's a CHEAP way to do that?

Appreciate any help,

Larry

The cheapest I would probably go would be an Aimpoint QRP with spacer.  They can be found quite often on the EE for between $50 and $70
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Sydney,

Thanks for the (very fast!) reply. As a total neewb, can I ask what type of sight picture that will provide with the irons through the scope? Will it put the dot well over the sights, or more coincident?

Thanks,

Larry
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMD] [#15]
It should put the irons in the lower 3rd of the sight window.  You'll be able to cowitness, but then the dot will be in the lower third as well.

FWIW; Photoman and I just completed a two day DETC tactical carbine class with TP's.  Both our Tacpoints went through without a hiccup, but we did have one guy's optic go down.

It was a holosight.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By FMD:
It should put the irons in the lower 3rd of the sight window.  You'll be able to cowitness, but then the dot will be in the lower third as well.

FWIW; Photoman and I just completed a two day DETC tactical carbine class with TP's.  Both our Tacpoints went through without a hiccup, but we did have one guy's optic go down.

It was a holosight.

Yes that is right, the TP did just fine, the only issue I had with it was on day two the class. I replaced the batteries on day 1 before we started, durring all breaks I'd turn it off. On day two I wanted to see how well it would last so I left it on all day. By the time we shot the qualifier the dot was so weak I couldn't pick it up on the target. I had it set on it's highest two setting setting as those were the two that made the dot visible enough to shoot with when the sunn popped out. Anything lower just wasn't workable.  We had good weather, hell FMD and I both got a nice sunburn. I didn't actually think that the weather on Saturday was nice enough to get one, but we did.

Also the tacpoint went down range once durring a break in the class, never lost zero. I took it off when we shot the long range portion of the class and used my 1-4x20 leupold for that beccause it's my primary optic and I wanted to use it for that(I need to shoot that gun LR more). When I put the tacpoint back on it was still zero, that is more the mount I believe though.

As FMD said the only optics issue we had in the class was one holosite going down. I don't however know what the issue was with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]

...By the time we shot the qualifier the dot was so weak I couldn't pick it up on the target. ...We had good weather, hell FMD and I both got a nice sunburn...

My neck still hurts.

I didn't replace the batteries on my TP for the day 2 qualifier (At the end of 20 or so hours on the brightest setting), and the wash-out issue (MHO) was one of factory brightness rather than battery life.  I don't have an AP to compare, but I think the washout was due to shooting at a white target with the sun at our backs.  My SWAG is that ALL the red-dots in class were suffering at that point.

I took it off when we shot the long range portion of the class...

Since I'm a crappy shot , I left mine on for the 100/200/300 yard portion of class.  Went 3 for 3 @ 100, 3 for 4 @ 200, and 3 for 6 @ 300, on a 2/3 sized torso silhouette.  At 300 yards, a 4 MOA dot looks huge (12 inch circle), and any windage/mech zero problems you have are  magnified incredibly.  Once the instructor called my miss ("over the right shoulder"), I went 3 for 3 at 300.  Dots can work at distance as well.

The most interesting part of the class (trying to get back on topic) was "show and tell" with the Aimpoint guys waiting for spots on the 300 yard line.  "My (AP) dot isn't that sharp!" seemed to be the consensus.  Both Photoman and I were asked about water depth abuse, and we answered honestly; we've never done it, so we just don't know what the little SOB optic wil take underwater.

We didn't get to run over PM's TP in the parking lot after class (bastard wouldn't let me do it) , so those photos will have to wait.

As FMD said the only optics issue we had in the class was one holosite going down. I don't however know what the issue was with it.

Intermittent on/of problems, unrelated to the battery.

Bottomline: Even if PM and I got the only two TacPoints that work, the little "Airsoft" optic is staying on my rifle, and I will bet my life on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#18]

Originally Posted By FMD:

We didn't get to run over PM's TP in the parking lot after class (bastard wouldn't let me do it) , so those photos will have to wait.

Hey it's bad enough my Wiley's got run over, the frame is fucked, but the lenses are still good for use, those are some tough lenses.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:36:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMD] [#19]

Hey it's bad enough my Wiley's got run over, the frame is fucked, but the lenses are still good for use, those are some tough lenses.

New equipment review?

ETA: PM, check your Gmail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought my TacPoint (blue markings) from Bowers for my kids airsoft and .22 magnum AK-47/ Galil assault rifles. Also got an Aimpoint wide picatinny low mount which fits great on my son's airsoft Tokyo Marui FN P90 picatinny rails. It looks almost like FN's P90 display at the last Vegas shot show.

When I was adjusting the sight on the airsoft gun at about 30 feet from the target, I thought that the adjustments was broken. I used a laser bore sight and found out that the adjustments of the TacPoint was OK.

The next time we go out shooting, I'll try it on my real M4 type carbine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#21]

pro mag mount, tac star blue ring
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TalonArms_R] [#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like the Pro Mag mount. Irons work in the lower 1/3 of the scope. Very solid and well made. The mount even has a place to store a couple extra batteries.

Tac point scope. I fell is very well made for the money. Held zero and easy to use.   If I could wish I would like to see them come in a 2 MOA dot.

Other then that I love the set up. It has worked ever well for me to this point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:59:38 AM EDT
[#24]
few brand new high quality made replica of a Aimpoint 1X30mm RDS for sale. It looks exactly as same as the real Aimpoint just without the logo. Very bright red dot in center of rectile,5 levels of brightness. The scope made of full metal and it is water resistant. Dot size is 4 MOA. It has fully tested on different rifles and pistols

You can choose the mount type for the scope. Cantilever mount(high mount) or "L" type mount(low mount) at your choice. If you need additional mount, that will be $15 each

Comes with Scope mount(cantilever or L mount) , batteries(installed), two scope covers and allen key.

Ask for $65+10shipping. order more no extra charge on shipping.

This ad is in the equipment exchange... anybody familiar with this optics?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#25]
photo looking threw YHM rear sight, ProMag mount, tacstar 1 blue ring scope, and showing front sight post.  Its really close how it looks when shooting. I just could not hold everthing. co-witness in lower 1/3 of scope.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
photo number 2 shows how you can see top of scope when looking threw rear sights. I did not get it centered but it will give you an idea.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#28]
Well after 2k of .223, 1k of 7.62x39 and a trip on the 30-06 for 100 rounds and the 308 for 200 rounds I can finaly say that this tacpoint is starting to show signs of some problems. intermitant loss of the dot. It started happening today  while I was shooting.  The odd thing is that sometimes it would go out completly and sometimes it would just get really really light to the point that it almost looked out but wasn't. You could just make it out on the target but barely. The times when it went out I could slap it or just fire a round and it would be back on nice and bright. Now this is the same set of batteries that went out on me durring the carbine class so it could just be that the batteries. I will replace them tonight and see how it goes sometime tomarrow or friday.  One interesting thing to note though is that it still has not lost zero, even when the dot was really weak it was still dead on.

If it is the optic, well I don't blame it, this thing has been through more shit than most "range" optics will see in thier life time.  If it doesn't come back to it's old reliable self, Well than I get to find out how well Hakko's warrenty and customer service are.

I still think however that this is a great optic for just playing around at the range  if you can't justify buying an aimpoint, or don't want to buy one for  a plinker but want the look.

Link Posted: 5/26/2005 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 6:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TalonArms_R] [#30]
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Well after 2k of .223, 1k of 7.62x39 and a trip on the 30-06 for 100 rounds and the 308 for 200 rounds I can finaly say that this tacpoint is starting to show signs of some problems. intermitant loss of the dot. It started happening today  while I was shooting.  The odd thing is that sometimes it would go out completly and sometimes it would just get really really light to the point that it almost looked out but wasn't. You could just make it out on the target but barely. The times when it went out I could slap it or just fire a round and it would be back on nice and bright. Now this is the same set of batteries that went out on me durring the carbine class so it could just be that the batteries. I will replace them tonight and see how it goes sometime tomarrow or friday.  One interesting thing to note though is that it still has not lost zero, even when the dot was really weak it was still dead on.

If it is the optic, well I don't blame it, this thing has been through more shit than most "range" optics will see in thier life time.  If it doesn't come back to it's old reliable self, Well than I get to find out how well Hakko's warrenty and customer service are.

I still think however that this is a great optic for just playing around at the range  if you can't justify buying an aimpoint, or don't want to buy one for  a plinker but want the look.

You might just be able to stretch out the spring in the battery cap and be good to go again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#33]

You might just be able to stretch out the spring in the battery cap and be good to go again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 12:47:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#34]
Well after a night in the pool(3ft down) The tacpoint came up with water in between the front two lenses, there was also some water in the tube.

For some reason the dot is hard to see in this pic, but shows up fine when you look at it in photoshop. So yes even with water in the tube, and water in between the two front lenses it still was working, and still is working. I have not put it back on the gun and shot it yet.  Last winter I had it burried in the snow with the caps open. The scope was laying so that the front lens was pointing up. At that time when the snow melted there was no leakage in between the front lneses or into the tube. So this leaking could very well be the result of all of the abuse this lil thing has taken since October of 2004.

The dot is more visable in this one

View from the front of the optic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
you should try and RMA that sorry little optic...

see if HAKKO will honor a warrenty.

Link Posted: 5/29/2005 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Noner:
you should try and RMA that sorry little optic...

see if HAKKO will honor a warrenty.

Why? It still works. So it's not watertight anymore big deal. It was never ment as anything more than a beat it to shit to test it's durability optic. That and to see if I would want an aimpoint because I wsn't sure I wanted a dot sight. Now I know for sure I'll get an aimpoint one of these days, because I like the dot for some stuff, but still prefer the 1-4x20 leupold for general use stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#37]

images.snapfish.com/3437698723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E23238436883%3B8ot1lsi

images.snapfish.com/3437698723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E23238436883%3B9ot1lsi

images.snapfish.com/3437698723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E23238436883%3B%3Bot1lsi

images.snapfish.com/3437698723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E232384368%3A%3A%3C3ot1lsi

images.snapfish.com/3437698723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D556%3D397%3DXROQDF%3E232384368%3A%3A%3C4ot1lsi

This is my tacpoint after getting dropped while mounted on the rifle from 6ft, and being tossed on the ground while doing transition drills, whith no sling on the gun. And just generaly being beat on.

ETA: if yer aimpoint isn't as beat as this tacpopint, I don't want to hear how much better and more reliable and rugged and dependable it is. Cuz you don't know that your Aimpoint is, cuz you haven't put it though shit to prove it. This Tacpoint has only been in my possession for just over 6months and this Tacpoint has proven that it is rugged, reliable and durable. I'm not saying all Tacpoints are, but this one I know for sure is. I'm sure this will get somones panites in a bunch even though it's just ment in fun. If these comments do get yer panties all in a bunch, you need to take a valium or something cuz yer taking life to seriously

DAMN...!
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
My tacpoint is mounted on a Rem 870 12ga.  It survived a fall to the ground on the scope when the muzzle slipped off the bumper.
Link Posted: 5/31/2005 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Well after a night in the pool(3ft down) The tacpoint came up with water in between the front two lenses, there was also some water in the tube.

Kewl, a built in level.

Let it sit in the sun and see if it internally fogs up with all that water in there.  Then, wait for the corrosion to take place.  That's really why leaks are bad.

I'd love to see the look on the warranty guy's face when he sees that poor beat up little TacPoint.

You really ought to give it a decent burial with honors after the life it's led.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Centauro97:

Kewl, a built in level.

Let it sit in the sun and see if it internally fogs up with all that water in there.  Then, wait for the corrosion to take place.  That's really why leaks are bad.

I'd love to see the look on the warranty guy's face when he sees that poor beat up little TacPoint.

You really ought to give it a decent burial with honors after the life it's led.

It's fogging up internaly just sitting on my desk. The water level is still the same it seems too. I was thinking of sending it in later this summer to have it checked out and see if Hako will give me a detailed list of what all was wrong with it damage wise. Hell maybe it will help them out in making it a lil tougher too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#41]

- Is it advertised as "waterproof"?

- If so, do they say how deep, how long?
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 8:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#42]

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

- Is it advertised as "waterproof"?

- If so, do they say how deep, how long?

well I pulled out the old box here and it says "waterproofed body" but there is no documentation as to for how long or how deep. The lens was leaking right away though. I brought it up after a min. and it was already flooded, the body however wasn't. that happened sometime laster, but not sure how much later.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 2:16:57 AM EDT
[#43]
What kind of mount is that in the very first picture?

I am thinking about picking up a tacpoint and a mount BUT I don't want to spend 120$ for a mount when the tac is only 88$.

Basically I am looking to make a cheap alternative cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#45]
There seems to be two competing manufactures for the Tacpoint red dot scope. This one claims that it's superior to the Tacpoint Blue Ring     http://www.nightvisionweb.com/tacpoint.htm   Is this an older model?

thanks in advance
Joe
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By joeren:
...Is this an older model?

First production run, made in Japan instead of China.  As to if it's better or not, the jury's still out.

I've had both, and the Jap model has held up better than the Chinese (for me, YMMV), HOWEVER, my good buddy Photoman has abused the living hell out of his Chinese made "Blue-Ring" version, and it's still ticking.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By TalonArms_R:
I don't think the difference is worth the extra $
NVW was the very first company to say the the Tacpoint was NOT waterproof, only water resistant. Now they have changed their tune to justify the higher cost.
Both versions are now claimed to be waterproof.  Photoman's lens leaked, but he has beat the hell out of his and they may have contributed to that fact. The body did not leak.  My unit was totally waterproof in 2 feet of water for over two hours. For a range optic, that is plenty for me.

I'm contemplating sending it off to Hakko to see what they'll do for me Could get interesting. I think i'll include a letter detailing everything the optic has been through for them so they know what kinda shit it has taken, who knows maybe it will help them to make a slightly better optic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone have one of the airsoft kac mounts they want to get rid of ? I think for a range optic it's pretty good . I've had mine about 3 months now with no problems at all . I also ordered one for my mini14 and can't wait to put it on  . The mount is for my m4gry .
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By zrxc77:
What does the dot shift relative to?  It will shift relative to the body of the sight (the tube) as you shift your eye position because you are moving your eye relative to the scope body (and the target).  That is normal.  But the dot should not shift relative to the target in the distance.  That is the essence of "parallax free" sights.  In other words, you should see something like this as you move your head around:

tinypic.com/4uhp9t

If you start with everything lined up as in the center diagram, when you move your head up and to the left you should see what is shown in the upper left diagram.  The dot and the target shift relative to the scope tube, but not relative to each other.  Similarly, if you move your head down and to the right, you should see what is shown in the lower right diagram, etc.

I've never held an actual TacPoint, but all "parallax free" red dot sights display the same behavior.  It is the desirable behavior.  If you aren't moving the rifle, its point of aim/impact doesn't change, so the red dot (which is the point of aim) shouldn't move relative to the target either.  Where it moves relative to anything else (such as the scope tube) as you move your head doesn't matter.

<edited to add better diagram to illustrate the effect>

Awesome post! Ya, I know I'm bringing it back from the dead area of the thread but it's still awesome!

Do the Tacpoints exibit this function? I know no scope is truely free of paralax, but I'll still take as little as I can get.

Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top