Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Does EOTech have a website where I can see and read about the different models. I'm not getting the pics on page one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they do you prole. 217 posts and you don't know the web site yet? What kind of AR-15.com members are you??????

www.eotech-inc.com/

Then again, I guess I'm worse because I've posted over 2000 times and have yet to pay anything to this web site

themao
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2004 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
SMGlee I've been trying to visit your website. Can't get there. Is it still up or been changed?
Thanks,Bob.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SMGlee I've been trying to visit your website. Can't get there. Is it still up or been changed?

+1
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a stupid question....  

Do the Eotechs come with batteries?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a stupid question....  

Do the Eotechs come with batteries?

Thanks,

Yes, altho the EOTech I just received today came with one good battery, the other one was pretty crappy with acid and corrosion on the negative end.  So if you are going to order one, have a pair of N batteries ready
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The answer is a qualified yes.  You can't however move so far that part of the outer circle dissappears.  As long as the whole recticle is visible it will be on-target no matter where it is in the window.  I usually end up looking over the top of my irons with the recticle in the upper third of the window and it shoots exactly the same there as it does looking through the rear irons with the recticle in the dead center of the window.

I just got the EOTech.  I placed it on a solid piece of furnature and aimed it at a nail on a wall about 9 yards away (26' 7" to be exact).  When I moved my eye to the left the red dot stayed pretty much on the nail, but seemed to move a tiny bit until I got closer to the side of the window.  Even bofore the 65MOA ring touched the side the red dot was completely off of the nail.  It did the same thing when I moved my eye to the right, or up towards a corner where it got worse.  I assume that this will mean a couple of inches at least at 100 yards.

Is my EOTech functioning correctly?  I just have to try to keep the red dot in the center of the window for best accuracy?  

EDIT:  Thinking about it more in my drunken state, maybe that small movement at 9 yards will yield almost no movement at 50 or 100?  

Link Posted: 11/29/2004 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The answer is a qualified yes.  You can't however move so far that part of the outer circle dissappears.  As long as the whole recticle is visible it will be on-target no matter where it is in the window.  I usually end up looking over the top of my irons with the recticle in the upper third of the window and it shoots exactly the same there as it does looking through the rear irons with the recticle in the dead center of the window.

I just got the EOTech.  I placed it on a solid piece of furnature and aimed it at a nail on a wall about 9 yards away (26' 7" to be exact).  When I moved my eye to the left the red dot stayed pretty much on the nail, but seemed to move a tiny bit until I got closer to the side of the window.  Even bofore the 65MOA ring touched the side the red dot was completely off of the nail.  It did the same thing when I moved my eye to the right, or up towards a corner where it got worse.  I assume that this will mean a couple of inches at least at 100 yards.

Is my EOTech functioning correctly?  I just have to try to keep the red dot in the center of the window for best accuracy?  

EDIT:  Thinking about it more in my drunken state, maybe that small movement at 9 yards will yield almost no movement at 50 or 100?  

On should not play with guns when they are tanked
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just got the EOTech. I placed it on a solid piece of furnature and aimed it at a nail on a wall about 9 yards away (26' 7" to be exact).  When I moved my eye to the left the red dot stayed pretty much on the nail, but seemed to move a tiny bit until I got closer to the side of the window.  Even bofore the 65MOA ring touched the side the red dot was completely off of the nail.  It did the same thing when I moved my eye to the right, or up towards a corner where it got worse.  I assume that this will mean a couple of inches at least at 100 yards.

Who said I was playing with guns?  I highlighted something red for you  
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just got the EOTech. I placed it on a solid piece of furnature and aimed it at a nail on a wall about 9 yards away (26' 7" to be exact).  When I moved my eye to the left the red dot stayed pretty much on the nail, but seemed to move a tiny bit until I got closer to the side of the window.  Even bofore the 65MOA ring touched the side the red dot was completely off of the nail.  It did the same thing when I moved my eye to the right, or up towards a corner where it got worse.  I assume that this will mean a couple of inches at least at 100 yards.

Who said I was playing with guns?  I highlighted something red for you  

my bad
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The pic below shows my current setup.  The 512 is mounted to a Surefire M73 handguard.  I know many will advise against this, but it's what I had and can afford for right now (until I get a flattop upper).   I took it out over the Thanksgiving weekend and put 300 rounds through it.  One string of 90 rounds was very rapid and had the barrel smoking nicely.  Both the 512 and M73 performed admirably.  They both stayed rock solid and functioning.  I couldn't be more pleased.

The iron sights sit right in the middle of the EOTech window.  I like it.  The center dot on the 512's reticle sits right on top of my front sight post.  I don't really notice the rear sight aperature, as I use the large one when using the EOTech.

Link Posted: 11/30/2004 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have an idea why I can't get any of the pics on page 1 ? Are you all getting them?
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anyone have an idea why I can't get any of the pics on page 1 ? Are you all getting them?

No I am not getting them either, the first post is pretty old.
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/3/2004 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes....yes!!!!!

Bring back the pics....

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I understand that Yankee Hill makes a 4" long 1/2" high riser.

Has anyone tried mounting an EOTech to one of these to raise it slightly?
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's too high to cowitness if that is a concern of yours.

BTW, Chen, do you know if the new reticle with the BDC is an addition to the lineup or is it meabt to replace the present circle/dot combo completely?
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's too high to cowitness if that is a concern of yours.

Valid point, but actually it's not a concern for me.  If it fails during a match I can always slap the carry handle back on.  The worse thing would be that I would blow a stage.

I was wondering if:

1)  Do the sides of the EOTech clear the thumbscrews?
2)  Is 1/2" TOO high to use comfortably.  I would think it would be OK.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The magnifier is very clear on this prototype, but EOTech is working getting it brighter.  I said the current clarity is comparible to a TA01.

My biggest concern is getting the size down to an acceptable level, current configuration is too big and bulky and eliminate any means of BUIS under the optic.  This is being worked on by EOTech as we speak.

Parrallax should be free but I will shoot the optic to get a better idea.

I will be out of towm on assignment for the next three weeks. i will get a full report up as soon as I get back and get some range time.

Chen

Your three weeks are up!  

BTW, have you had a chance for that range time yet and have you seen any further prototype developments?  Inquiring minds are dying to know.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]
How far above the barrel can this thing be mounted before it is rendered inaccurate and useless?  

I screwed around around with mine (my upper has not arrived yet) and it seems as if the elevation adjustment is so minimal per click that placing the optic on an elevated rail or swan sleeve-ish would seriously affect its usefulness.  I was playing around with it on a MTK-83 weaver rail that sits a considerable distance from the top of the dust cover on a Romanian AK to kill some time (which I quickly realized is a goofy idea anyways).  It got me to thinking about how much of an issue mounting and placement is with the optic.  

I realize ½ MOA is a very small adjustment and that it is probably normal for me to not notice a visible difference in the position of the hologram throughout the range of elevation and windage especially without actually firing the weapon, I don't.  I'm new to this fancy-pants optics stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Here is the short report on the range.

I tested the magnifier out to 100 yards at San gaberial Range.

The sight had some parallex out to 100, but again this is a prototype.  I talked to EOTech about it and they are working hard to correcrt the problem.  the parralex begin to grow out pass 50 yards and at 100, you had to be get a good cheek weld.  but then again if you are using a magnifier, you are most likely have the cover and time to obtain a good cheek weld in stead taking a snap shot.  agin, EOTech will not release the optic until they can sort out the paralles issue.  hopefully we can see something by the Shot show.

the sight worked as advertised, it is quick on and quick off.  I did some range work at Burro canyon prior to my departure on the effectiveness of the magnifier.  it really made shooting out to 75 yards a lot easier so if you are shooting at a target said about a block away, the magnifier will make your shots more effective.

the optic is very clear, but EOTech is also working hard to get it even brighter.  I would compare the clarity to an ACOG TA01.  

Size and weight is an issue but b eing a prototype, the size will be reduced to something like a compact ACOG.

I was able to fit a troy BUIS under the magnifier.  

Schwing!
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the update SMG_Lee.

What was the magnification? 3x or 4x?

The TA-01 is bright enough for me, so I'm not that worried about that issue.

By the way, how did you have this system mounted? On a LMT MRP? I have a LaRue 7.0 on my M4 clone. I have the 2001 model Eotech 552 on the handguard right now. Would a magnifier work from the flattop or do I need to move the Eotech over the gap between the flattop and handguard, and then put the magnifier behind the holo sight?

Wow. I guess I need a MRP now!

Thanks,

themao
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had the system mounted on a carbine MRP.

The magnifier will fit on a standard flat top(except for M4 handguard equipped uppers).  this way you can extend the 552 forward and lock it on the forward second or third rail slot.  thus give enough room for your magnifier and a BUIS.  

So how much real restate does it actually take up?  I am using a 551 w/M4 Handguards and ARMS#40L...do I have enough room?  TIA

-Space
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay mister Lee is this  a good one for an M4 setup using the top carrying handle and I do have a set of mounts coming the ARMS #2 mount.

here is the one I am thinking of www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holographic-sight-500.html

Thanks

Ps can I also use it on a flat top Eagle Match Barrel one?
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Okay mister Lee is this  a good one for an M4 setup using the top carrying handle and I do have a set of mounts coming the ARMS #2 mount.

here is the one I am thinking of www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holographic-sight-500.html

Thanks

Beware that the model you posted is a 502.  It won't have the metal protective hood that the 511/512/551/552 have.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Beware that the model you posted is a 502.  It won't have the metal protective hood that the 511/512/551/552 have.  

Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Any idea when the new 553 is going to be released? Doesn't it have the slight mods that SOCOM requested?
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 3:43:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Reef,

Using the forward mount on your carryhandle is the best way to mount an EOTech.  ARMS #2 will add height to your already high EOTech.  I know some Spec op operators using the exact setup but they use it for CQB heads up fihting where the butt stock is on the chest and the sight is right where it should be.  

Setting it up that high will make shooting longer distances difficult.

Get a forward carrying handle mount and you will have the perfect setg with the perfect co-witness.

Two mount comes to mind,

PRI high ride or BC Cam.

Thanks sounds like a plan to me.

Okay will same mount fit a eagle match Ar?

Da I know dumb h.gif
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump...

Any updates on the magnifier? I know Shot Show is in progress and obviously I'm not there to get all the latest.

On a slightly different topic, my new 552 manual refers to the model 554 which i haven't  found on any websearches. Seems like a 552 with different power on/off default settings.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#39]
SMGLee How about getting the pics back up on page 1?  (purty pleeze)
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Hey all,

I've got a 512.A65 rev F and a RRA Dominator mount coming this week. Anyone else using this setup? If not, I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 2/7/2005 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Hey all,

I've got a 512.A65 rev F and a RRA Dominator mount coming this week. Anyone else using this setup? If not, I'll post pics.

I have been curous about seeing the Dominator mount.  Please do post pics!
Link Posted: 2/11/2005 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Any chance of getting the pics on page one back up?
Link Posted: 2/12/2005 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I posted this on another thread but I'll add it here because this thead is where it really belongs.

This is some recent info I got from an EOTech rep regarding the magnifier.

1. The magnifier that will be released was the CAD model that was shown at their shot show booth.

2. The magnifier will be released as 4x to compete with the ACOG's.

3. As mentioned above the magnifier will require a new hood attachment design and will not be backward compatible with the older units!  I don't like this one...

4. Because of #3 the new EOTech with the four BDC dots will be sold as a package with the magnifier.

5. The BDC dots are setup for M855 from a 14.5" barrel.  The BDC will be a bit off but will still be very usuable with 16" and 20" barrels.

6. The targeted MSRP will be between $600-$800 for the package.  I think this is quite reasonable.

7. Production start up is targeted for mid-summer 05. *This may be subject to change.

Link Posted: 2/17/2005 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I really like the design of the Eotech, especially when it is set up with the LaRue mount, but I cant stand the reticle. Any word if Eotech plans to offer any other reticle types in the future? I think a Eotech with a Tripower style chevron (without the ring around it) would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Reference the pic through the 552 with the new 4-dot center
recticle on page 4:

It looks like the image is rotated to the left.
Has EOTech addressed the mounting problem
already mentioned in other threads? I want to
buy a 552 for a battle sight, but I'm concerned
with the number of others who show the mount
is crooked, being raised up on the right side.
In my opinion, EOTech should have rectified this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I just bought the 552 Rev F and the GG&G Accucam quick release mount. This mount is very nice and might need to be added to this sticky somewhere. I am using it on a 45 M SIR and the ARMS 40 Buis and PRI flip up front. I have not shot it yet as I am waiting on some other things to come in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2005 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#47]
My EOTech 512 A65 Rev F mounted flush on my Bushmaster M4A3 16" No-Ban with ARMS #40 BUIS

Reticle
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Would it be possible to get a "detailed" breakdown of the EOTech model Revisions? IE, what is an "A", "B"...."F".   What makes them different?  Pictures of the obvious differences?

Or, is this information posted elsewhere??

Thanks!

I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere.  I wrote to Eotech and asked specifically about the differences between C and F.  Here is what they wrote:

Thanks for the message and EOTech support. There have been some new improvements and upgrades to the Rev F sight compared to the C.  First, the button design has changed, adding the new rubberized tactical buttons for a better feel.  The main upgrade was in the electronics.  Typical battery life of a Rev C 552 was about 300 hours (about 500 hours with a lithium AA).  The Rev F offers over 600 hours on a standard AA, and over 1000 with lithium.  In addition, the battery contacts have been changed since the Rev C to get away from the spring design and to a cap style nipple.

These are the main differences between revisions.  Also, keep in mind that the warranty for the Rev C has long been expired so any necessary work would not be covered.  The Rev F sights have a 2 year warranty from the date of purchase.

I hope this answers your questions.  Please feel free to contact me with any additional concerns.

Link Posted: 3/31/2005 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Tagged for my further edu-ma-cation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got a 512 and have it mounted right on my flattop with the front portion sitting on my YHM 2 pc rail handguards. Chopped my A3 carry handle and turned into a BUIS like the LMT, co-witness perfect. Sighted the 512 today at the range. 50yrds
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top