Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2004 5:14:52 PM EDT
After searching and kicking tires for months, I finally took the plunge and purchased a night vision scope.  Mike at CSGunWorks came through (as usual) with a new product that I decided to try out.

It is a Rigel Optics 4300, Gen 1+ with IR illuminator.  UPS delivered it today, and my family and I have been playing with it out back.  We live in the country, and are amazed at the starlight magnification of this thing.  I have not handled night vision since the early 80's with what we called an "owl eye", and this baby beats that by a long shot.

My son hid in our pitch black basement, and I found him before he even knew where I was.  The illuminator lights things up out to around 50 yards, and makes pitch black look like you are searching it with a full sized maglight.  When he saw the red glow, he knew that he was busted.

After playing, I mounted it on my preban Bushy M4gery first, but needed it moved back further than my ARMS 40 would allow.  I transferred it to a flattop 20" rifle, and it fits like a champ with the integral thumbscrew mount.  It weighs a bit more than my TA31 (thanks again, Mike!), but balances better on the rifle than it did on the carbine.

I will probably sight it in tomorrow evening, and begin educating the feral cat population later that night.  

I'll post my shakedown experiences in a few days.  I'll be curious to see how easily it sights in and how well it holds a zero.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/16/2004 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2004 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
you'll have to give us a long term test of this new NVD...From what I have seen it looks like a pretty good and reliable scope for people not willing to dump more money into a NVD then there weopon they will put it on cost.  For me I have been looking for a little while for one, and at just a little less then 500 bucks for this scope, it looks like a pretty good deal. Please give us more details on this scope.  Can it stand up to the muzzle flash of XM193 ammo out of a gun with not flash suppressor? thanks
-Brian-
Link Posted: 2/18/2004 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top