Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2004 12:21:05 AM EDT
Gents, I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and need some of your collective technical assistance.  My buddy sent me a TA31 and I have a personally owned TA01, I would like to mount these on my issue M4 flattop.  When I did this I found I could not zero the scopes due to not enough vertical adjustment ie I couldnt get the point of impact within 20 inches of the point of aim (impact was way low).  I attempted to get on paper at 25 and then zero at 100.  I know both those scopes are factory calibrated for a 20 inch barrel firing M193 55gr off of a carry handle.  My setup was a 14.5 inch barrel firing 77gr and 62gr off of the flattop mount with 2 thumb screws.  I am doing something wrong or am is this just not possible due to the internal calibrations.  We are issued M68 CCOs and I have not been able to find at TAO1NSN.  Over here with the long distances a powered scope rather than red dot sight would be preferable.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You're doing something wrong or your ACOG is seriously broken.

The distance drop at 100 yards between a 14.5 and 20" barrels pretty much isn't 20+ inches which would be the minimum come up/down on an ACOG I'd guess.

I would make sure that you've got it mounted flat and tight to the rail.

I didn't know we (military) were issuing 77 grain cartridges?

Why not get some mil-spec federal ammo and zero the weapon? Last time I checked it was cause for a courts marshall to get caught firing non-issued ammo in a issue weapon - something change when I wasn't looking???
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Paul,
I think if you check in the Ammo folder, you will find that the Army issues some troops 77 gr OTM Black Hills rounds. It is designated MK262 Mod 0 and Mod 1. Depends upon bullet maker. GPSS had a lot made for a group purchase. You can check it out in the Ammo forum or on GPSS website.
Ed
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem with my TA 31 ( I was the problem)I thought I damaged the scope because I was so far off. I went back to the basics as per the manual using the 300m line for 25m. I got 4x4 sheet of cardboard just for
25m, I'm glad I did because I could not believe how
far I had the scope out of adjustment.I used M855 ammo. I then went to 100m  using the 4x4 sheet of cardboard. I was still about 7 O'clock
18inches low. I was then able get the zero very quickly. I then used Bart Roberts BDC I  used the 16" 75gr OTM for the 77gr OTM out of
a 1/7 14.5" vel. should be within 100fps...good luck  Soldier
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Gents,
Thanks so much for all the feedback, my frustration meter is pegged at the moment.  I am hanging some weight off of the rails (PEQ2, gangster grip, M3 illuminator) so that may cause some issues.  The black hills 77grain stuff is great, I squirreled a case away for special occasions.  I really want to get the ACOG squared away for long range engagements.  have a folding stock AK with an Aimpoint on it for close work.  Thanks again and keep up the good work, this is a great resource.  Will try all the suggestions and let you know how it works.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top