Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2004 12:21:05 AM EDT
Gents, I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and need some of your collective technical assistance.  My buddy sent me a TA31 and I have a personally owned TA01, I would like to mount these on my issue M4 flattop.  When I did this I found I could not zero the scopes due to not enough vertical adjustment ie I couldnt get the point of impact within 20 inches of the point of aim (impact was way low).  I attempted to get on paper at 25 and then zero at 100.  I know both those scopes are factory calibrated for a 20 inch barrel firing M193 55gr off of a carry handle.  My setup was a 14.5 inch barrel firing 77gr and 62gr off of the flattop mount with 2 thumb screws.  I am doing something wrong or am is this just not possible due to the internal calibrations.  We are issued M68 CCOs and I have not been able to find at TAO1NSN.  Over here with the long distances a powered scope rather than red dot sight would be preferable.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You're doing something wrong or your ACOG is seriously broken.

The distance drop at 100 yards between a 14.5 and 20" barrels pretty much isn't 20+ inches which would be the minimum come up/down on an ACOG I'd guess.

I would make sure that you've got it mounted flat and tight to the rail.

I didn't know we (military) were issuing 77 grain cartridges?

Why not get some mil-spec federal ammo and zero the weapon? Last time I checked it was cause for a courts marshall to get caught firing non-issued ammo in a issue weapon - something change when I wasn't looking???
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Paul,
I think if you check in the Ammo folder, you will find that the Army issues some troops 77 gr OTM Black Hills rounds. It is designated MK262 Mod 0 and Mod 1. Depends upon bullet maker. GPSS had a lot made for a group purchase. You can check it out in the Ammo forum or on GPSS website.
Ed
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem with my TA 31 ( I was the problem)I thought I damaged the scope because I was so far off. I went back to the basics as per the manual using the 300m line for 25m. I got 4x4 sheet of cardboard just for
25m, I'm glad I did because I could not believe how
far I had the scope out of adjustment.I used M855 ammo. I then went to 100m  using the 4x4 sheet of cardboard. I was still about 7 O'clock
18inches low. I was then able get the zero very quickly. I then used Bart Roberts BDC I  used the 16" 75gr OTM for the 77gr OTM out of
a 1/7 14.5" vel. should be within 100fps...good luck  Soldier
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Gents,
Thanks so much for all the feedback, my frustration meter is pegged at the moment.  I am hanging some weight off of the rails (PEQ2, gangster grip, M3 illuminator) so that may cause some issues.  The black hills 77grain stuff is great, I squirreled a case away for special occasions.  I really want to get the ACOG squared away for long range engagements.  have a folding stock AK with an Aimpoint on it for close work.  Thanks again and keep up the good work, this is a great resource.  Will try all the suggestions and let you know how it works.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top