Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Here are tacrats photos...enjoy

thanks tacrat
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there any way to post a larger pic.  I can't really see the horseshoe at all.

I really like the scope, but I am starting to feel let down by the reticle.
I wish it was more like the Burris XTR-14

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry boys, thats as big as they get unless tacrat sends me other photos.  10mb photos are tough to send through hotmail.    I'm not sure how to do it on a PC but I can zoom in on it with my Mac.  I like the reticle from what I can see.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
For that kind of money I'd rather buy a friggen ACOG
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there any way to post a larger pic.  I can't really see the horseshoe at all.

I really like the scope, but I am starting to feel let down by the reticle.
I wish it was more like the Burris XTR-14

http://www.burrisoptics.com/images/xtr1_05.jpg

There is no horseshoe like pics at SWFA show, it's a half round.

To me the reticule is the let down. Not the issue of half round which is basically almost a horseshoe but  rather the lines are simply too thin ...so thin you gotta look for them a bit more than I'd like. I got old eyes though at almost 50 so ymmv.

Ohter than that it's perfect - built like a tank, awesome glass, short, etc...

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
nice scope, I own two IOR's and highly recommend them.  Very high quality glass and built like tanks.

I'll have to add this one to my "must have" list.... damit
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I would definitely like to set mine further forward. I have been contemplating whether the low rings along with this:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=28

would give me what I want. With a true 1x can one co-witness or is there something inherent in a variable optics that make this impossible (blurring, offset, ...)? It would be a little clunky and put the scope another .125 inch higher than the tall rings. I would want it lower as I like the ballistic affect and smaller mechanical offsets (I am running a absolute co-witness rather than a lower 1/3 currently). I have been eying this since the SHOT show and a good mount (Larue/Bobro) would definitely push me over the edge.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The lines in the reticle are 1/2 moa thick at 4X.  The center dot is 3moa.  I wear glasses and have no problem picking up any part of the reticle during rapid target acquisition at CQB ranges and I have to wear glasses now and am just shy of 40.  My eye seems naturally drawn to the dot.  The reticel is alot simpler than the Burris but I am partial to a clean reticle on a working optic and save the more technical reticles for my bolt guns used at a 1000. The pics can also be decieveing because the field of view is so large.  You can see alot of realestate through the scope. The pics don't do the reticle justice, sorry they suck.  I was pretty proud of my photography skills when looking at them on the computer at 10 megapixels taken with my wife' s D-90.  Didn't realize you can't email them at that setting.  I will try and change the camera settings and see what happens.  Still haven't had time for the range and its driving me nuts.  Been keeping my rig loaded and ready should some spare time arise in the envening.  My final verdict isn't in yet, but so far, I like what I see.  Thanks again to uglyduck for posting the pics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are some better shots, thanks again tacrat

1x

1x Illuminated

4x

4x Illuminated

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For that kind of money I'd rather buy a friggen ACOG

Apples and oranges

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally got a chance to take the pitbull to the range today.  WOW, really liking this optic.  The more time I spend with it, the more I like it.  I was originaly a little nervous with the weight and CQB range capability.  No more.  Shot at ranges from 15-450 yds.  Zeroed the scope at 100 yds.  With my handloads  (55 vmax @ 3000 fps - 16" bbl) I was able get groups at 1moa or less at 100 yds and under (centering the 3moa dot on an orange 4moa sticky)  and 1.5 moa from 200-450 (as long as I did my part).  The glass is very clear and crisp and helped alot with the accuracy at longer ranges.  Head shots at 200 yds were easy with the 3moa dot on the IPSC steel (LV steel med man 25x15).  It was sunny today and the illum dot was visible.  It is subdued and not bright like an aimpoint, but you could see it.  It helped alot with speed at 15-25 yds because my eye was drawn to it a little faster than black only.  The HUGE field of view made engagements very fast at the closer ranges and while moving and the amount of ground I could see around the 450 yd target was surprising.  Comparing speed to my aimpoint, I was as fast or damn close to it.  The reticle is set for 62gr NATO rounds.  My loads impacted a touch high (on the LV steel) at 300 and 400 yds using the corresponding range marks on the reticle.  I was limited to 450 yds and couldn't stretch to 500.  I used the 500 yd range line and dialed 1/2 mil down and was dead on.  MOA dials would have been easier for me to use, but the the scope repeats very well.  I didn't do a precise box test but I did move the impacts around with the knobs and it always retruned to zero.

I like my aimpoint but felt very limited by it when I tried to engage targets at longer range and I was never crazy about the magnifyers.  The pitbull does a good job at both.  I have not tried alot of low mag scopes, but of those I tried (Millet DMS, Luppy, Trijicon) I didn't like the longer length and narrow field of view and I'm not a fan of the fixed power, narrow view and short eye relief of the ACOGs .  I as I have stated before, the pitbull is heavy, but it did not take me long to get used to the extra weight.  This optic is not for everyone I suppose and other folks opinion may vary, but I've been pretty happy with it so far.  It's not the perfect do-all optic, I haven't seen one made yet, but it does do a good job for me on a wide range of taskings.  Wish I had one of these when I was breaking things while one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the write ups.

Is there any change in eye relief in the different magnifications?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I With a true 1x can one co-witness or is there something inherent in a variable optics that make this impossible (blurring, offset, ...)?

No, magnified 1X optics are not capable of cowitness like a see through optic such as a red dot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really.  Eye relief on 1x is not that critical and the closer the target the less so.  When you move to 4x you don't really notice a difference if you keep your eye at the 4x position while changing back and forth..
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I With a true 1x can one co-witness or is there something inherent in a variable optics that make this impossible (blurring, offset, ...)?

No, magnified 1X optics are not capable of cowitness like a see through optic such as a red dot.

I have heard that stated before. I am not questioning the response I am just curious what is the issue observed?
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard that stated before. I am not questioning the response I am just curious what is the issue observed?

The front sight appears larger than life, so you can't use it to shoot accurately.

Here's a front sight base through my 1x Nightforce.

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for posting the pics, guys. Very helpful!.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
So, Mike, are ya offerin' them for $599 to the first ten customers?!
I'll be the first...
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems odd that so many of these optics do not have daytime illumination.  It seems a lot of people want/need the do it all optic - 1x and some kind of magnification... basically a red dot or something close to it for up close and the magnification for the distance.  Why not just make the reticle bright enough?  Is it difficult or expensive to do so?  You'd think for $1k, you could have that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Seems odd that so many of these optics do not have daytime illumination. It seems a lot of people want/need the do it all optic - 1x and some kind of magnification... basically a red dot or something close to it for up close and the magnification for the distance. Why not just make the reticle bright enough? Is it difficult or expensive to do so? You'd think for $1k, you could have that.

Yeah...but then we would only buy ONE optic and that would screw up the economy
PS: I TOTALY agree with you!

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seems odd that so many of these optics do not have daytime illumination.  It seems a lot of people want/need the do it all optic - 1x and some kind of magnification... basically a red dot or something close to it for up close and the magnification for the distance.  Why not just make the reticle bright enough?  Is it difficult or expensive to do so?  You'd think for $1k, you could have that.

I'll wait for daytime illumination and keep my XTR.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.  I sometimes wonder if these companies do any market research.  One quick look would find a solid crossection of ideas.  Most all people are looking for that one optic solution either as their sole optic or as a secondary "do all" for a 2nd or 3rd rifle.  

I don't believe it can't be produced.  I mean this IOR would seem ideal if they'd just put an actual red dot in the view.  I wonder if it really is a matter of companies thinking they get people to buy additional optics or if they are really out of touch with a large segment of consumers.  It's also incorrect to assume that if they do build an optic, but leave out some key aspect to the design that me or anyone else would then buy that optic and then buy another optic from them to fill that gap. That's not likely at all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Confused newbie here - If I go with the Pitbull, will I need to remove the front sight on my Colt 6920?
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Does this scope have a steel or aluminum main tube? I wonder because it is quite hefty and IOR is known for still using steel for the main tubes of many of their optics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Will the ADM one piece mount work on this scope? The distance between rings on my Scout is 2.5 inches. The rings are 1 inch thick. Bump for more pics and reviews.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]
My review of this scope with lots of big juicy reticle pics Here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Bump for anything new on this optic
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany