AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/11/2011 12:16:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We need a 1-5x or a 1-6x for that price...
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the illuminated donut reticle daylight visible?
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bitch, bitch, bitch . . .
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does it even matter?  Do you really think you're going to have trouble seeing that donut?

The best reticles are the ones that still work, even with a dead battery . . . .
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it even matter?  Do you really think you're going to have trouble seeing that donut?

The best reticles are the ones that still work, even with a dead battery . . . .

Sure, why not.  This was the first question that came to my mind as well.

A "Bright as !@#$" reticle is definitely a feature in low powered variable scopes and certainly worth asking before ponying up this much cheddar on an optic.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sure, why not.  This was the first question that came to my mind as well.

A "Bright as !@#$" reticle is definitely a feature in low powered variable scopes and certainly worth asking before ponying up this much cheddar on an optic.

I think this crowd has been  brain-washed all too long by the "invisible" style reticles offered by Burris, Meopta, IOR, GRCS, etc.  This unfortunately has evolved the need for daylight visible illumination.

The 1-4x Super Sniper was designed to change all that.  Hats off to SWFA for thinking clearly.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bitch, bitch, bitch . . .

U stupid or something boy.. All I'm saying is that there are to many 1-4x scope's out on the market. I dont see what makes this one any better than the other's. Its not the price.

That is All...
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

U stupid or something boy.. All I'm saying is that there are to many 1-4x scope's out on the market. I dont see what makes this one any better than the other's. Its not the price.

That is All...

If you're not seeing the difference with this 1-4x offering, I think you just answered your own question.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
COPY
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Let's wait before someone actually has one of these scopes before we start bickering....  

I thought this review was rather thorough;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242104&page=1

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Please  be polite-Aimless
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
So the circle reticule is approx 14moa at 1X based on milrad to moa conversion?
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The one thing about a Super Sniper, is that you could put it on a 20mm cannon, or beat in nails with it, and it will still work..  Only other scopes like that (US Optics, Nightforce, S&B) cost twice as much, so its a good deal

I'm debating what child I'm going to sell for one of these.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm curious as to why SS didn't go with a BDC type reticle, as it looks like the .mil will be looking for just such an optic in the recent future, thus driving the market in that same direction?    The mil dot reticle seems odd for the role of this type of optic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you know the exit pupil size? It would be nice to get it before the next time I update my table.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you know the exit pupil size? It would be nice to get it before the next time I update my table.

Objective diameter / magnification = exit pupil @ magnification

24mm / 1x = 24mm @ 1x

24mm / 4x = 6mm @ 4x

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The diagram states all measurements are in mils.

1 mil = 3.438 MOA

The circle's inside diameter is 13.5 mils, or 46.4 MOA

The circle's outside diameter is 16.5 mils, or 56.7 MOA

Since the scope is first focal plane, the circle is this size at any power

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:18:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm curious as to why SS didn't go with a BDC type reticule, as it looks like the .mil will be looking for just such an optic in the recent future, thus driving the market in that same direction?    The mil dot reticule seems odd for the role of this type of optic.

I didn't know Uncle Sam was driving the market toward BDC reticles?  They certainly use a lot of mil-scale reticles.

I'm very happy SWFA didn't use a BDC reticle.  A mil-scale reticle is easily used as a BDC reticle, yet it is completely universal for all calibers, and all bullet speeds, and all wind speeds.  And don't forget the added bonuses of using it to range a target's distance, and measure bullet impact error.

Get to know your friendly mil-scale reticle.  You'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting, where are they made?
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The best guess I've heard is in Japan.  However, only SWFA knows for sure, and they aren't telling.

http://www.opticstalk.com/who-manufactors-the-super-sniper-scopes_topic27596.html

(Chris Farris of SWFA)
This comes up all the time and I don't understand why.

I think that people think that companies like Bushnell, Night Force, Simmons, Millett, etc. all have their own factories and that they build scopes for smaller companies in their factories.  This is not the case.  The only companies that have their own manufacturing facilities reside in Germany and Austria with a few other exceptions.  Everything else comes from factories scattered all over the orient that are not owned by any name brand.  The days of a company actually producing their own products in house is long gone.

Another common misconception is relating one name brand to another.  For instance the guy asking was probably looking to get an answer like, Bushnell.  Then he would assume that our scope is the same as a particular Bushnell scope.  Most of these factories are capable of producing extremely high end scope all the way down to Barfska type scopes.  You supply them with the specs and they build it.  You supply them with a budget and they'll hit it.

Even if we told you the name of the factory you would not know any more than you do right now because it is not relevant and has no bearing for comparison sake.  For instance if I told you that our scopes are made in The Ping Pang Chow factory in Japan, what would you have learned about our products?

With a large pile of money you could travel the orient and come to market with The Ranger007 scope line and it could be whatever you want it to be from NightForce quality to BSA quality and there are many factories that could do it.  They have "house" scopes already designed that they can just glue your logo on if you like.  That is why you see so many scopes that look alike with different names on them because these smaller companies did not design anything, they just wanted a scope line with their name on it.  These off the shelf scopes are typically mass produced low budget scopes.

We have taken a completely different approach with our products.  They are not off the shelf, they are all custom, proprietary designs built to our specifications and our specifications are strict and tight with no compromises in regards to final product integrity.  We keep the bean counter out of all design meetings (sorry Mom).  If we can save 50 cents by making something out of plastic instead of an alloy we typically opt to spend an extra 50 cents and make it out of hardened steel.  Same with our glass and coatings recipes.

This business model would not work if our products had to go through the normal channels of distribution because the mark up and overhead would have them prices way out of the market.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I called swfa yesterday and asked when they would be shipping, they said middle of next week.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes, Where are they made?

Quoted:
Quoted:

The best guess I've heard is in Japan.  However, only SWFA knows for sure, and they aren't telling.

http://www.opticstalk.com/who-manufactors-the-super-sniper-scopes_topic27596.html

(Chris Farris of SWFA)

I think that people think that companies like Bushnell, Night Force, Simmons, Millett, etc. all have their own factories and that they build scopes for smaller companies in their factories.  This is not the case.  The only companies that have their own manufacturing facilities reside in Germany and Austria with a few other exceptions.  Everything else comes from factories scattered all over the orient that are not owned by any name brand.  The days of a company actually producing their own products in house is long gone.

Another common misconception is relating one name brand to another.  For instance the guy asking was probably looking to get an answer like, Bushnell.  Then he would assume that our scope is the same as a particular Bushnell scope.  Most of these factories are capable of producing extremely high end scope all the way down to Barfska type scopes.  You supply them with the specs and they build it.  You supply them with a budget and they'll hit it.

Even if we told you the name of the factory you would not know any more than you do right now because it is not relevant and has no bearing for comparison sake.  For instance if I told you that our scopes are made in The Ping Pang Chow factory in Japan, what would you have learned about our products?

With a large pile of money you could travel the orient and come to market with The Ranger007 scope line and it could be whatever you want it to be from NightForce quality to BSA quality and there are many factories that could do it.  They have "house" scopes already designed that they can just glue your logo on if you like.  That is why you see so many scopes that look alike with different names on them because these smaller companies did not design anything, they just wanted a scope line with their name on it.  These off the shelf scopes are typically mass produced low budget scopes.

We have taken a completely different approach with our products.  They are not off the shelf, they are all custom, proprietary designs built to our specifications and our specifications are strict and tight with no compromises in regards to final product integrity.  We keep the bean counter out of all design meetings (sorry Mom).  If we can save 50 cents by making something out of plastic instead of an alloy we typically opt to spend an extra 50 cents and make it out of hardened steel.  Same with our glass and coatings recipes.

This business model would not work if our products had to go through the normal channels of distribution because the mark up and overhead would have them prices way out of the market.

I want to know what I am buying & where it is from, If they can't/won't answer, then they can look for customers who won't care.

There are certainly enough so called "Americans" who won't care one way or another.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here is a link to some real life reticle images and comparisons to other 1-4x reticles at different yardages and lighting conditions on 1x and 4x.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-14x-ss_topic22981_post356967.html#356967

It looks very fast for target-sight alignment, well done on the features.
What batteries does it use?  
Recoil rated to?
Warranty?
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought the turrets were resettable, but didn't see that feature noted in the literature at the start of this thread.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Where are they made?

Quoted:
Quoted:

(Chris Farris of SWFA)

I want to know what I am buying & where it is from, If they can't/won't answer, then they can look for customers who won't care.

There are certainly enough so called "Americans" who won't care one way or another.

They are almost certainly not "Made in the USA" if that is what you are getting at.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#32]
From the looks of the ocular bell, it appears to rotate with magnification changes.  That means your flip up cap would also rotate.

Can someone confirm?

I don't see a tab to help with quick magnification changes either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Interesting.

Edit:  +1 for what batteries it takes.  Can not find it on the website.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm curious as to why SS didn't go with a BDC type reticule, as it looks like the .mil will be looking for just such an optic in the recent future, thus driving the market in that same direction?    The mil dot reticule seems odd for the role of this type of optic.

Last year there were pictures posted of the original reticle as a BDC design. They were looking for feedback and got it. I did one of the above linked reviews. I fired about 600 rounds on several different rifles from 25 yards out to 800 yards and I firmly believe that SWFA got it right. The FFP feature "switches" the reticule from a "red dot" to a mildot. At 1X both designs are bright and bold enough that the Circle or Tee automatically centers you attention on your target much like an aperture rear sight centers the front post on an AR. If more precision is required there is a small "ghost" crosshair visible at the center. I tested both reticles against an Aimpoint and they were pretty close up close when I went out to 100 yards the SS 1-4 HD scored better. At longer range I was shooting sub moa at 500 yards, near moa at 700 yards and getting 80% hit on a 14" steel disc at 800 yards.
The quality of the scope and the reticle deign are what sets this scope apart. I think, by thinking outside the box that SWFA got it right.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
From the looks of the ocular bell, it appears to rotate with magnification changes.  That means your flip up cap would also rotate.

Can someone confirm?

I don't see a tab to help with quick magnification changes either.

I've used the prototypes and no it does not rotate it is a ring that retates like the other SWFA SS scopes.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting.

Edit:  +1 for what batteries it takes.  Can not find it on the website.

They use a CR2032 and there is storage for a spare on the adjustment/battery turret.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#37]
For that price I'd rather have a Leupold MR/T.  Which is what I am saving my pennies for.  I don't  care for the reticle, or the price.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, the reticles are daylight visible. However, I don't like the term "day light visible" and prefer the term daylight practical. It is one thing to be able to see the reticle if you go looking for it. It is quite another to have a reticle that is bright and bold enough to grab you eye and center it. Some reticles are "Daylight Visible" the SWFA SS 1-4 HD reticles are both daylight visible and day light praticle. The link below has photos that do an excellent job of comparing the new SWFA designs to a Schmidt & Bender short dot and a Night Force, you will see what I mean. You have to scroll down a bit. When you look at the photos ask yourself which one you would want when the battery fails.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-14x-ss_topic22981_page16.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 mil = 3.438 MOA

In viewing reticule pictures on sites such as Snipershide, the circle appeared to become vey small at 1x and larger at 4x. Perhaps this was a camera issue? If I understand you correctly, 1st focal plane reticules stay the same size thru out the zoom range while 2nd focal plane reticules change size thru out the zoom range?

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

1 mil = 3.438 MOA

In viewing reticule pictures on sites such as Snipershide, the circle appeared to become vey small at 1x and larger at 4x. Perhaps this was a camera issue? If I understand you correctly, 1st focal plane reticules stay the same size thru out the zoom range while 2nd focal plane reticules change size thru out the zoom range?

No, you've got that backwards.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No camera tricks.  What you saw was reality.  The reticle of any first focal plane scope will always stay the correct size in relationship to the actual size of the target.  Read that again, and repeat it to yourself. That is the important detail.  

NOW . . .  in order for a reticle to remain accurate in relationship to the actual size of a target, it must change size whenever the target changes size.  Since a target always changes size whenever a scope's magnification is changed, so must the reticle.  This is why some people say FFP reticles grow and shrink. Yes, that is what it appears to be doing, but understand the important detail behind it.  (Read my first paragraph again and again )

It is a second focal plane reticle that appears to stay the same size no matter the magnification.  Unfortunately it is in this case that your eyes are fooling you.  Whenever magnification changes in a SFP scope, the reticle size is NOT changing while the target size IS changing.  Read that statement again and again also.

Because of this, with any SFP reticle, the size of the reticle is only accurate to the actual size of the target at one specific magnification, usually the highest magnification.  For example, if the circle we've been discussing was in the 2nd focal plane, at 1x, the outside diameter would really be 226.8 MOA!  It would be only at 4x that the circle would be the correct size of 56.7 MOA.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year there were pictures posted of the original reticle as a BDC design. They were looking for feedback and got it. I did one of the above linked reviews. I fired about 600 rounds on several different rifles from 25 yards out to 800 yards and I firmly believe that SWFA got it right. The FFP feature "switches" the reticule from a "red dot" to a mildot. At 1X both designs are bright and bold enough that the Circle or Tee automatically centers you attention on your target much like an aperture rear sight centers the front post on an AR. If more precision is required there is a small "ghost" crosshair visible at the center. I tested both reticles against an Aimpoint and they were pretty close up close when I went out to 100 yards the SS 1-4 HD scored better. At longer range I was shooting sub moa at 500 yards, near moa at 700 yards and getting 80% hit on a 14" steel disc at 800 yards.
The quality of the scope and the reticle deign are what sets this scope apart. I think, by thinking outside the box that SWFA got it right.

It's an interesting design, I just don't know how practical it will be in the 1-4x design, and the role MOST of the rifles that wear them are used in.  When and if the military selects a 1-4x design with a BDC, I would think from a marketing standpoint, SS would want to have a design to market to those who tend to want what the .mil is using, even if it isn't the exact model.    

I suppose having a completely different reticle design from everybody else might end up working out for them.   It just seems to also put the scope in a different role than what the other designs are tailored for.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#43]
You may be correct. However the SWFA reticle is far more flexible and does not restrict the end user to a single load and barrel length to be accurate. BDC reticles have been around longer and are far more common than Mildot reticles matched with mildot adjustments. But if you know your range and your trajectory the mildot can be used as a very effective BDC. (I keep a sketch inside the rear lens cover to remind me.) I have both a M1A NM and a LMT MWS with the SWFA SS 3-9X42 mounted and have found that with a 300 yards zero I can shoot steel IPSC targets from 200 to 700 yards without touching a turret. But if I don't know the range I have a mildot reticule to find it and if the wind is up and I see my bullet strike of a miss I can measure with the reticle and adjust accordingly. Personally I think it is a concept whose time has come.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No camera tricks. What you saw was reality. The reticle of any first focal plane scope will always stay the correct size in relationship to the actual size of the target. Read that again, and repeat it to yourself. That is the important detail.

NOW . . . in order for a reticle to remain accurate in relationship to the actual size of a target, it must change size whenever the target changes size. Since a target always changes size whenever a scope's magnification is changed, so must the reticle. This is why some people say FFP reticles grow and shrink. Yes, that is what it appears to be doing, but understand the important detail behind it. (Read my first paragraph again and again )

It is a second focal plane reticle that appears to stay the same size no matter the magnification. Unfortunately it is in this case that your eyes are fooling you. Whenever magnification changes in a SFP scope, the reticle size is NOT changing while the target size IS changing. Read that statement again and again also.

Because of this, with any SFP reticle, the size of the reticle is only accurate to the actual size of the target at one specific magnification, usually the highest magnification. For example, if the circle we've been discussing was in the 2nd focal plane, at 1x, the outside diameter would really be 226.8 MOA! It would be only at 4x that the circle would be the correct size of 56.7 MOA.

Thanks! That is what I was trying to say but just didn't word it correctly. The reticule stays the same size in relationship to the target. I was trying to determine if at 1x, the reticule was so small that it appeared as a solid dot.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No camera tricks. What you saw was reality. The reticle of any first focal plane scope will always stay the correct size in relationship to the actual size of the target. Read that again, and repeat it to yourself. That is the important detail.

NOW . . . in order for a reticle to remain accurate in relationship to the actual size of a target, it must change size whenever the target changes size. Since a target always changes size whenever a scope's magnification is changed, so must the reticle. This is why some people say FFP reticles grow and shrink. Yes, that is what it appears to be doing, but understand the important detail behind it. (Read my first paragraph again and again )

It is a second focal plane reticle that appears to stay the same size no matter the magnification. Unfortunately it is in this case that your eyes are fooling you. Whenever magnification changes in a SFP scope, the reticle size is NOT changing while the target size IS changing. Read that statement again and again also.

Because of this, with any SFP reticle, the size of the reticle is only accurate to the actual size of the target at one specific magnification, usually the highest magnification. For example, if the circle we've been discussing was in the 2nd focal plane, at 1x, the outside diameter would really be 226.8 MOA! It would be only at 4x that the circle would be the correct size of 56.7 MOA.

Thanks! That is what I was trying to say but just didn't word it correctly. The reticule stays the same size in relationship to the target. I was trying to determine if at 1x, the reticule was so small that it appeared as a solid dot.

No it appears as a circle with fine cross hairs.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it appears as a circle with fine cross hairs.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Yes, the reticles are daylight visible. However, I don't like the term "day light visible" and prefer the term daylight practical. It is one thing to be able to see the reticle if you go looking for it. It is quite another to have a reticle that is bright and bold enough to grab you eye and center it. Some reticles are "Daylight Visible" the SWFA SS 1-4 HD reticles are both daylight visible and day light praticle. The link below has photos that do an excellent job of comparing the new SWFA designs to a Schmidt & Bender short dot and a Night Force, you will see what I mean. You have to scroll down a bit. When you look at the photos ask yourself which one you would want when the battery fails.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-14x-ss_topic22981_page16.html

thanks for the link. looks like SWFA and Super Sniper really put some thought into the reticles.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Interesting optic, I'm looking forward to reading some reviews!

What's the estimated battery life?
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Objective diameter / magnification = exit pupil @ magnification

24mm / 1x = 24mm @ 1x

24mm / 4x = 6mm @ 4x

Not sure that is always true. Example: Leatherwood CMR 1-4x Exit Pupil (mm): 11.1 - 6.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not sure that is always true. Example: Leatherwood CMR 1-4x Exit Pupil (mm): 11.1 - 6.

The math is correct.  I would speculate Leatherwood's specs are some sort of misprint.  Leatherwood is the oddball when compared to every other 1-4x24mm scope on the market.

Good explanation

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top