Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:41:25 AM EDT
Hello,
I have decided to get a Vortex Crossfire II, 4-12-40 for my AR. I need a good mount for a flat top. Any suggestions on a mount/rings or the scope? I would prefer QD but Im open to anything that is reasonably priced and good quality. Would this be a good choice for my 308 AR?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Feedback on scope and suggestions for mount?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi there Huckleberry...I am new to the AR world,  just got my first one a few days ago and I am also getting a Vortex Crossfire II.....Hope someone can give us some insight to your question. All the research I have done via the web is leading me to a couple choices for a mount  but nether are QD....the two I am interested in are Nikon M-223 mount for $60  and Vortex cantilever mount for $90.....both @ opticsplanet.com   Hopefully someone can school us both a lil bit on the subject..
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've have a couple of M-223, one is the 20MOA model.

Both have worked for me with no problems, but I have only used them on 5.56 ARs, not .308.  I don't see why they shouldn't hold up with proper mounting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the Nikons but there are soooo... many choices.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Define your expectations. What is the max you want to spend? You say you'd like it to be QD, how strongly?  I would've gone with the Diamondback line for a .308 build but that's a personal preference. There is tons of great info in the tacked threads I'd suggest starting there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking to keep scope/mount under $400.00, I only have one shot due to $ issues, so want to get it right the first time, QD is not super important but would be preferred, if I could find something I could use on my .233 and 308 AR would be a bonus. I have read too many posts and am a little overwhelmed...

Any suggestions for different set up would be welcomed, like I said one shot, want to get it right.

Thanks for the responses!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If most of your shooting is <= 500 yards, and you're not going to drag your rig through miles of brush, desert, or forest exposed to lots of abuse, then the crossfire with the M-223 should be fine.

Study mounting everything straight, even and secure, with no cant etc.  Don't be shy about undoing and redoing stuff a couple of times.  What seems like a mystery now will eventually be in your bag of common sense and duh, heh.....

I had a cheap Tasco setup on my AR for years that held up fine, and I just mounted it by feel and sight.  I still have not shot consistently better groups with my current more expensive gear than I did with that one, YMMV.

If you don't expect to do much snap-shot type field hunting with the rig, I would hold out and get the SWFA SS 10x for a few bucks (about $300 + shipping for one IIRC) more.  The glass is comparable to other popular brands in the $800-$1000 range IMAO.  It does need a 30mm mount, but the SWFA branded SSALT mount works great with it for about $60.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top