Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2016 2:46:51 PM EDT
So I'm just starting into the AR game, got some nice parts on Black Friday (they finally showed up ) and was thinking about picking up some AR mags.
I been an AK guy all my life (yes AK, please stay on topic) and know that if you buy quality mags they will last for awhile. I been reading that AR mags on the other hand aren't made to last forever and are meant to be thrown away (if this is wrong please correct me).

My question is what AR mags should I buy that will last a longer time/won't break.

I was thinking about picking OKAY mags up (like aluminum more then PMAGs), I'm not worried about a price point I just would like to know what would be the best AR mag to buy (if there is one)
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay ind are great mags

I recently saw a post about them here on arf where new ones were around $6-7ea ( that is a really good price )

do some searching ... I saw the thread less than 7-10 days ago
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Palmetto State Armory has their D&H mags for $6 or $7 as well. Great mags and after all of them that I have bought, I've still to run into any issues with them.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a standard aluminum type magazine, get the Okay Teflon coated ones with anti tilt follower, those seem to be the best choice at the moment. Okay now uses the brand name Surefeed I think. D&H quality has fallen off recently it seems like.

AR magazines are not intended to be disposable. There was some mythology BS about that from the early 60s. They did experiment with a very inexpensive polymer magazine back then for that concept but they didn't work out. Good aluminum magazines will last for a very long time.

There are some steel magazines on the market for the AR but they tend to be somewhat variable in user experience.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a standard aluminum type magazine, get the Okay Teflon coated ones with anti tilt follower, those seem to be the best choice at the moment. Okay now uses the brand name Surefeed I think. D&H quality has fallen off recently it seems like.

AR magazines are not intended to be disposable. There was some mythology BS about that from the early 60s. They did experiment with a very inexpensive polymer magazine back then for that concept but they didn't work out. Good aluminum magazines will last for a very long time.

There are some steel magazines on the market for the AR but they tend to be somewhat variable in user experience.
View Quote

ah okay, I wasn't quite sure about quality of AR mags.
I think I'm going to go with the OKAY mags, Which ones are the Teflon? the black ones?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
the surefeed just use magpul followers. I have over 300 of the mil-spec since I think the teflon finish is too slippery.

Its all user preference on the finish.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What people really mean when they say they are a disposable item is that they are a wear item.  Don't get too attached to them an expect them to last forever.  You should have plenty of spares and they are cheap enough that it isn't worth it to dick around and try and fix a magazine that you are having problems with.

Many of us are still using Vietnam era 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Magpul Pmags

ETS mags

Okay USGI mags

You really can't go wrong with any of these, just depends on what you want and price you want pay.  I like the ETS ones and the Magpul with windows just so you can see round count left in mag.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of regular  USGI M16 20 round  and 30 round mags, from various manufaturers, that are probably older then you and  no doubt would have had 10s of thousands of rounds fired from them. not to mention the abuse they took from thousands of soldiers. and they still work great
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Palmetto State Armory has their D&H mags for $6 or $7 as well. Great mags and after all of them that I have bought, I've still to run into any issues with them.
View Quote

For the price, you can't beat the PSA mags.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the tips/info guys
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I think Okay mags are a little better than D&H but D&H are down to almost half the price.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay
Center
D&H.....my top 3. Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
PSA has been having some awesome sales on mags lately. The email I got today showed one of their BCGs with 4 40rd pmag for $100 which is an awesome deal and if you don't already have a BCG it can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. They also have D&H mags for $5.99 right now, Mission First Tactical polymer mags for $6.99, Hexmag Series 2 polymer mags for $7.99, and Pmags reduced to under $10ea iirc. They have also been having sales on Ammo and Mags together for great prices.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
For the "best" mag I'd have to suggest Lancer mags. I personally get PMAGs or D&H with Magpul followers since they're very cost effective and actually pretty durable.

If one does act up just toss it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
1) Pmag Gen M3
2) Pmag Gen M2
3) Okay dry film finish

Those are my preference in that order, with #3 being a distant third.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For the "best" mag I'd have to suggest Lancer mags. I personally get PMAGs or D&H with Magpul followers since they're very cost effective and actually pretty durable.

If one does act up just toss it.
View Quote

+1
Brownells has 10 smoke translucent lancer 30's for $119 shipped use code M5H
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1
Brownells has 10 smoke translucent lancer 30's for $119 shipped use code M5H
View Quote

Yep, that's what I did. Except mine were 124.99.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I'm just starting into the AR game, got some nice parts on Black Friday (they finally showed up ) and was thinking about picking up some AR mags.
I been an AK guy all my life (yes AK, please stay on topic) and know that if you buy quality mags they will last for awhile. I been reading that AR mags on the other hand aren't made to last forever and are meant to be thrown away (if this is wrong please correct me).

My question is what AR mags should I buy that will last a longer time/won't break.

I was thinking about picking OKAY mags up (like aluminum more then PMAGs), I'm not worried about a price point I just would like to know what would be the best AR mag to buy (if there is one)
View Quote

You have it wrong. In all militaries, small arms detachable box magazines are considered expendable items, even the heavy steel AK mags. This doesn't mean they can't last for decades with careful use, it means that in combat, the soldier doesn't have to account for the magazines. In civilian life, the standard G.I. issue aluminum mag is all you really need. Most of us have some of practically every kind but when it comes to what is actually needed, the G.I. mag is more than adequate. I have some of them I've been taking to the range for 20 years and they aren't worn out yet. What will eventually wear out in any magazine is the spring, and replacement springs are plentiful on the market.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top