BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2015 6:54:35 AM EDT
Does anyone feel like they are cheating on Magpul when they think about buying a Lancer magazine?

I've had a few 20 round smoke Lancers sitting in my cart for a few weeks, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I'm a faithful MagPul believer, and it just seems wrong to buy another polymer mag.

To keep this technical: any positives or negatives to getting some Lancer mags over getting some Gen3 20 round mags?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Lancers are in my experience, one of two of the best magazines you can buy
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

Lancers are in my experience, one of two of the best magazines you can buy
View Quote

Lancers are superior, I own hundreds of them, no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I own 70+ GI Mags and six Pmags. Hell, I have more Thermolds than Pmags. So no....
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
If I could trade all of my PMAGs for Lancers, I would. I still buy every PMAG I see for $8 or less though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a ton of 30 round USGI and PMAGs. Very few 20s. Guess I'll be trying some Lancers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a well rounded collection of Lancer, Magpul, Aluminum, Steel, Thermold... and maybe others.  No guilt.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
After all the trouble I've had with Magpul 20s and Gen3 30s....  No.  I'll probably never buy another Pmag.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You just posted yesterday about how you have never personally cracked a PMag and ran several M3s for a long period in matches with relatively few issues...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After all the trouble I've had with Magpul 20s and Gen3 30s....  No.  I'll probably never buy another Pmag.

You just posted yesterday about how you have never personally cracked a PMag and ran several M3s for a long period in matches with relatively few issues...

Quoted:
I'm not all that hot for Pmags but I ran a set of 12 RevMs to the point of being unreliable. It took over 15K rounds in a training and match environment to do it and I only had a few malfunctions with those, but retired the entire set due to mileage and the desire to keep things consistent. I have a set of 6 Gen M2 30s that I use now if I'm going to be working over cement or other hard surfaces.

I have never personally cracked a Pmag, but I've dropped 'em partially loaded on hard surfaces and slammed 'em in many many times. I also don't clean my plastic stuff with anything stronger than diluted hand dish washing soap and water.

RevMs are not M3s.  You are correct, I have never cracked a Pmag, hope I never do. I have a bunch of Gen M2 Pmags.   The Gen M3s didn't work out for me.  I'm good with my Gen M2s and don't see myself buying any more after my experience with early Gen M3 20s and 30s.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not married to Magpul, they make nice things and I have a few, but I am not obligated in any way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not all that hot for Pmags but I ran a set of 12 RevMs to the point of being unreliable. It took over 15K rounds in a training and match environment to do it and I only had a few malfunctions with those, but retired the entire set due to mileage and the desire to keep things consistent. I have a set of 6 Gen M2 30s that I use now if I'm going to be working over cement or other hard surfaces.

I have never personally cracked a Pmag, but I've dropped 'em partially loaded on hard surfaces and slammed 'em in many many times. I also don't clean my plastic stuff with anything stronger than diluted hand dish washing soap and water.

<GD type Image removed from Tech Forum.........dpmmn>

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I wasn't trying to create a shitstorm. I just found it funny that I can't seem to bring myself to buy a non Magpul polymer magazine.

Maybe I'll just hold off for a bit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Reading comprehension.  You need it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
No.

I have Magpul, Lancer, Hexmag, H&K, and Troy. I'm an equal opportunity mag-ist!
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No.

I have Magpul, Lancer, Hexmag, H&K, and Troy. I'm an equal opportunity mag-ist!
View Quote
Which HK? The Steel Marine Mags or the new Poly ones?

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I could trade all of my PMAGs for Lancers, I would. I still buy every PMAG I see for $8 or less though.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a huge Magpul fan, I only have Magpul AR magazines and USGI AR magazines.  

However, I recently purchased two Magpul AK magazines for my SLR95 and neither of them feed correctly.    A little disappointed.

On the other hand, I recently built 25 Remington 870 less lethal shotguns with the orange Magpul furniture, and they turned out most excellent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone feel like they are cheating on Magpul when they think about buying a Lancer magazine?
View Quote

No

Quoted:...I'm a faithful MagPul believer...
View Quote

I patronize the products of magpul (and lancer, and nhmtg, etc). I believe in Jesus and my responsibility to my family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No

I patronize the products of magpul (and lancer, and nhmtg, etc). I believe in Jesus and my responsibility to my family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Okay. I think we are taking this a bit too far.

When I said faithful, I wasn't drawing any parallels between molded polymers and the love of God and family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have about one hundred P Mags, fifty windowed, fifty regular. I'm done buying magazines for the AR platform.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Good for you.  

In my experience Lancers are tougher than PMags, but PMags are more reliable.  Not that Lancers are unreliable, they work fine in 98% of rifles.  But rifles that won't run on any other mag tend to run with PMags.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I own one Lancer smoke 30 rounder and it is sweet. I hope to acquire more one of these days. For now, I keep a dozen windowed foliage green Pmags for shooting. They work well enough once you get the first few rounds out of them.

I have a shitload of Pmags still in the wrappers as well. Like the other poster said, it's hard not to grab a few when you see them on sale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
You really cant cheat on a consumable product, of which there are millions of versions exactly like yours.

Its like cheating on a hooker.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You really cant cheat on a consumable product, of which there are millions of versions exactly like yours.

View Quote

Fair point and quote worthy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Magpul = Hooker

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:Okay. I think we are taking this a bit too far.

When I said faithful, I wasn't drawing any parallels between molded polymers and the love of God and family.
View Quote

Fair enough. I don't think it would be cheating on them, anymore than a trip to Burger King equates to cheating on McDonald's. Their job is to earn my patronage (ie, my dollars); my job is to do whatever I want with those dollars, while myself trying to earn the patronage of others. I have a hundred pmags, give or take; not knocking them by any means. I just leave it up to magpul (and nhmtg, and lancer, etc) to make their product the one that earns my dollars over anyone else's product. Magpul has some very good products and some great products; their magazines aren't the only products of theirs that I use.

The Gen2's are great AR magazines. The Gen3's are very good AR magazines with the added benefit of also fitting some non-AR guns. I have both generations. Now, if magpul were to actually release the full slate of products they "introduced" at SHOT nine months ago, they'd earn some more of my dollars. Fact is, I'll probably buy one or two of the D-60's when they come out regardless, which won't be cheating on NHMTG (my absolute 'first love' of AR mags... )  Yes, I know the story of "we want to make sure they're right", and that sounds all well and good. But that's supposed to be done before a new-product roll-out, not after. When they are finally released, I would absolutely LOVE to be able to write a glowing review of them on this and other boards. Maybe make other manufacturers step up their game in the process. But can't do it if they don't exist.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Magpul = Hooker  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul = Hooker  

Well, i wouldn't say magpul is the hooker, rather, ar15 magazines in general.

Cheap, available, do their job, and if it gets broken, get a new one
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've had a few 20 round smoke Lancers sitting in my cart for a few weeks, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I'm a faithful MagPul believer, and it just seems wrong to buy another polymer mag.

To keep this technical: any positives or negatives to getting some Lancer mags over getting some Gen3 20 round mags?
View Quote

It was difficult for me, to be honest.  I think the world of MagPul, and have tremendous respect for them.  As a product development professional myself - these guys set the bar, no other company in our industry has my respect like MagPul has.  Probably a little over-statement, but I consider them the Steve Jobs/Apple of our industry.  You can't deny these guys come out with amazing products and are game changers.  The industry is what it is, because of MagPul, and they are continuing to come out with excellent products.  However, there is an appearance that their material science has now been surpassed.  

Frankly, Lancer is making what I need and what I want.  MagPul is still just making what I need.  So, sadly, I'm now buying Lancer clear magazines.  If MagPul ever figures out clear polymer chemistry as well as ETS apparently has, then I will be very interested.  I know they claim such chemistry doesn't meet their standards.  Sadly, I'm not seeing a lot of data supporting that claim - and a lot of postings and abuse commentary indicating the clear ETS mag is actually stronger than a non-clear PMag.  Ball is in MagPul's court to  publish a comparison showing that's not so (as in breaking ETS Mags while PMags Survive)  - as no one is more open minded than me to see it.  

To address your specific question - the reason you should buy Lancer 20's is because if you ever shoot service rifle competition (and they make curved legal), you will be expected to load 2 rounds in one magazine, and 8 rounds in another.   You are expected to load the 2 round magazine first, than reload with the 8 while under time constraint.  If you have a clear magazine construction, you will visually be able to confirm the correct round count.  You will also visually be assured you are grabbing the correct magazine in preparation and during the firing.  You can obviously successfully compete with non-clear magazines - every shooter currently does so, as do I.  But if given the choice, I would prefer to have clear - because more than once I've had that "well.. I think I loaded 8.." moment, and had to strip them out and reload again just to be sure.  Just like every other competitor has had to do at least once.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#32]
You summed up my feelings when I first posted quite well. Thanks.

Quoted:

It was difficult for me, to be honest.  I think the world of MagPul, and have tremendous respect for them.  As a product development professional myself - these guys set the bar, no other company in our industry has my respect like MagPul has.  Probably a little over-statement, but I consider them the Steve Jobs/Apple of our industry.  You can't deny these guys come out with amazing products and are game changers.  The industry is what it is, because of MagPul, and they are continuing to come out with excellent products.  However, there is an appearance that their material science has now been surpassed.  

Frankly, Lancer is making what I need and what I want.  MagPul is still just making what I need.  So, sadly, I'm now buying Lancer clear magazines.  If MagPul ever figures out clear polymer chemistry as well as ETS apparently has, then I will be very interested.  I know they claim such chemistry doesn't meet their standards.  Sadly, I'm seeing a lot of data supporting that claim - and a lot of postings and abuse commentary indicating the clear ETS mag is actually stronger than a non-clear PMag.  Ball is in MagPul's court to  publish a comparison showing that's not so (as in breaking ETS Mags while PMags Survive)  - as no one is more open minded than me to see it.  

To address your specific question - the reason you should buy Lancer 20's is because if you ever shoot service rifle competition, you will be expected to load 2 rounds in one magazine, and 8 rounds in another.   You are expected to load the 2 round magazine first, than reload with the 8 while under time constraint.  If you have a clear magazine construction, you will visually be able to confirm the correct round count.  You will also visually be assured you are grabbing the correct magazine in preparation and during the firing.  You can obviously successfully compete with non-clear magazines - every shooter currently does so, as do I.  But if given the choice, I would prefer to have clear - because more than once I've had that "well.. I think I loaded 8.." moment, and had to strip them out and reload again just to be sure.  Just like every other competitor has had to do at least once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frankly, Lancer is making what I need and what I want.  MagPul is still just making what I need.  So, sadly, I'm now buying Lancer clear magazines.  If MagPul ever figures out clear polymer chemistry as well as ETS apparently has, then I will be very interested.  I know they claim such chemistry doesn't meet their standards.  Sadly, I'm seeing a lot of data supporting that claim - and a lot of postings and abuse commentary indicating the clear ETS mag is actually stronger than a non-clear PMag.  Ball is in MagPul's court to  publish a comparison showing that's not so (as in breaking ETS Mags while PMags Survive)  - as no one is more open minded than me to see it.  

To address your specific question - the reason you should buy Lancer 20's is because if you ever shoot service rifle competition, you will be expected to load 2 rounds in one magazine, and 8 rounds in another.   You are expected to load the 2 round magazine first, than reload with the 8 while under time constraint.  If you have a clear magazine construction, you will visually be able to confirm the correct round count.  You will also visually be assured you are grabbing the correct magazine in preparation and during the firing.  You can obviously successfully compete with non-clear magazines - every shooter currently does so, as do I.  But if given the choice, I would prefer to have clear - because more than once I've had that "well.. I think I loaded 8.." moment, and had to strip them out and reload again just to be sure.  Just like every other competitor has had to do at least once.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Where the hell are the Pmags for under $8!!!! I can't break $7 on metal mags!! Link PLEASE
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a bunch of pmags.  Too many to count of USGI. Probably 15 or so Lancers, and 18-20 ETS Group mags. They are all great mags.
I really like the metal feed lips of the Lancers. The toughness of the ETS mags is really something.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]
You should cheat on Magpul.  Pretty soon they'll be coming out with another generation of Pmags, making your gen 2 and 3 obsolete.  If they leave room for improvement, then why settle for less?  They are still tweaking the magic polymer formula and they haven't perfected it yet, which makes me believe a new generation will come out.  I say this because every generation has had its problems.  I like Magpul but I'm done buying their mags.  They have excellent customer service so I'm not worried if they break.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Wheres a good place to buy lancers?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wheres a good place to buy lancers?
View Quote

DSG is my go-to vendor. They have Lancers in stock (and PMAGs)
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Five clear 20 round Lancers ordered.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Primary Arms has Lancers on sale periodically. That's when I pick them up. Too expensive otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I prefer the Lancers.  Only issue I've had with Magpul is the dust covers are not that secure, but I'm not sure they're really necessary either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You should cheat on Magpul.  Pretty soon they'll be coming out with another generation of Pmags, making your gen 2 and 3 obsolete.  If they leave room for improvement, then why settle for less?  They are still tweaking the magic polymer formula and they haven't perfected it yet, which makes me believe a new generation will come out.  I say this because every generation has had its problems.  I like Magpul but I'm done buying their mags.  They have excellent customer service so I'm not worried if they break.
View Quote

I'm waiting for the Gen5

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd rather buy from a company that constantly improves their product.  If they waited until it was perfect to release it, they'd never release anything.  So, release the best available product now and continue to make improvements as new technologies and materials become available.  Or be like so many other firearms companies that stagnate because they refuse to improve their product.  Dammit it was good enough in 1980, it's good enough now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'd rather buy from a company that constantly improves their product.  If they waited until it was perfect to release it, they'd never release anything.  So, release the best available product now and continue to make improvements as new technologies and materials become available.  Or be like so many other firearms companies that stagnate because they refuse to improve their product.  Dammit it was good enough in 1980, it's good enough now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea that was just a non-nonsensical statement.  All of them improve their products and switch over to updates, including Lancer.  As well they should.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yea that was just a non-nonsensical statement.  All of them improve their products and switch over to updates, including Lancer.  As well they should.
View Quote

That's true to a point, but when someone introduces a new generation of magazines, claiming they're better than all previous gens, proven by years of pre-production testing and evalution, then immediately start having ongoing revisions to correct 'statistically insignificant' numbers of issues, that only occurs with certain ammo, that are 'not detrimental to the function of the magazine'...  Just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when I'm one of the statistically insignificant that had problems that were detrimental to the function of the magazine.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#46]
If the Magpul mags work just fine, why would you spend more money on the type mag mag?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If the Magpul mags work just fine, why would you spend more money on the type mag mag?
View Quote

Translucent. But also curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's true to a point, but when someone introduces a new generation of magazines, claiming they're better than all previous gens, proven by years of pre-production testing and evalution, then immediately start having ongoing revisions to correct 'statistically insignificant' numbers of issues, that only occurs with certain ammo, that are 'not detrimental to the function of the magazine'...  Just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when I'm one of the statistically insignificant that had problems that were detrimental to the function of the magazine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happens.  End user testing will always reveal things that no amount of company testing could possibly foresee.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Samuse, I'm a newb, need to start buying mags - would you please elaborate on the kinds of issues you've had with the Gen 3 Magpuls?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top