Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2015 1:06:30 AM EDT
During the Preban days, I bought scores of mags, including USGI 20s and 30s, and even some US-made Thermolds. I have tons of mags. They all work, I dare say they work without a hitch. With that in mind, it seems like spending $ on new mags when I have ammo cans of functional mags is a solution in search of a problem. G2 Magpuls seem to be dropping right now in favor of the 3s, so financially it seems like an interesting time to get into them if there is a compelling reason to do so. So with all that in mind, IS THERE a compelling reason to grab 20-30 of these mags or are they just another solution to the same problem, rather than a (significantly) better one?

What are your thoughts? (Please explain... if I wanted "yes/no" I'd have added a poll) Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I seriously don't get these "are PMAGS worth it" threads.

MAGPUL has extensively, scientifically, and transparently tested their magazines. There are about a dozen videos.

Do you plink at the range? Then any mag is fine.

Do you need a mag that above all other things (such as cracking, looking cool, etc.) has been designed to feed bullets into your gun under all adverse conditions? Then PMAGs will get it done.

So I'm not really sure what compels you. Saving money, or getting mags that were developed by an actual R&D team?

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul mags are more durable (ime) than aluminum, and ive had a few feeding problems with aluminum with various followers.

Thermolds are junk, never had good luck with them

Magpul, lancer l5awm, and ETS are more durable, solved pretty much all feeding problems.

mags are CHEAP right now, best to buy them now, rather than wait till a post election gun show to buy a pro mag for 50$
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Gen M2 Pmags better than the Gen M3.

Cheaper and better material now?   Win.

STOCK UP BIG.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Something else you may want to consider is that a couple years back a serviceman did a torture test of various magazines and it was found that the GII with their larger follower fed more reliably after mud tests, etc than the GIII which has a smaller follower and I guess allowed more debri to get caught between the sides of the mag body and the follower.  I'll try to pull up the link later.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MAGPUL has extensively, scientifically, and transparently tested their magazines. There are about a dozen videos.

Do you need a mag that above all other things (such as cracking, looking cool, etc.) has been designed to feed bullets into your gun under all adverse conditions? Then PMAGs will get it done.

So I'm not really sure what compels you. Saving money, or getting mags that were developed by an actual R&D team?

View Quote

Check out "The unscientific plastic magazine test" on this very forum.  There are several options now available that are truly unbreakable instead of being merely "more durable than USGI".
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The opinion of one old fart... Pmags are very good magazines. Lancers are very good magazines. I really like the windowed Pmags and the translucent Lancers both. I have quite a few of both and trust both implicitly; the only caveat being that Lancers tend to be a little less forgiving of max-OAL loads. I'm sure there are other good options as well; I just don't have enough personal experience with them to objectively comment on them.

My personal favorites are the old-school heat-treated mil-spec magazines made by Okay, whether sold under their own name, or under the NHMTG or Colt brands. Give me an NHMTG 30 with a magpul follower and I'm as happy as I can possibly be. I do give up the cool "see-into-the-magazine-to-count-the-bullets" feature with them, and while that's an admittedly handy thing to have, I survived fine without it for the first 30 years of using AR's, so I'm probably okay without it for as many years as I have left.

That said, Pmags are imo probably as good as most any magazine available today, or darn close to it. Their main problems are the emotion-based worshipers and the emotion-based haters. Both are irrational; as things emotion-based tend to almost always be.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a link to the aforementioned military magazine test.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/612074_Our_Military_Magazine_Torture_Test.html

Also a quote from the test's final analysis comparing the Gen II to the Gen III.

Final Evaluation:

The Magpul Gen2 Magazine was the unanimous winner after all the tests were said and done.
Collectivly the final determination was decided by these factors:

The Magpul Gen2 had the strength, it felt solid, it past the muddy water test with no
need for another rinse to function, it had smooth magwell operation for seating loaded
and unloaded, and it was easy to take apart and clean. There was no major issues concerning
the Magpul Gen2's function and reliability throughout the tests.
The only issue brought up by the soldier's was better drainage for water.

The Magpul Gen3:
This magazine had some trouble during the muddy water test where its older brother the Gen2 passed
with flying colors. The Gen3 had to be washed out multiple times so we could continue the testing.
All Soldier's liked the improved grip and texture. They liked the beefiness and toughness of
the Gen3, all Soldier's would of liked the Gen3 to stick with the longer follower the Gen2 had.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Considering that (other than the Thermold Novelties) every magazine I own is USGI contract spec and many have actually seen military service, we aren't exactly asking whether I should upgrade my Ram-line gun show mag collection. Magazines that have withstood 35-45 years of use in foreign conflict aren't exactly plink-grade equipment. PMAGs are new with advanced advantages that are apparent. They may/may be more rugged by virtue of their age and/or condition, but you have either become jaded by reading all the other threads or your assessment is myopic. If you consider USGI contract magazines (Okay, Labelle, Sanchez, Adventurline, etc) as mere plinking fodder, then we are on different planets.

The question is more along the line of the features of PMAGs being worth the cost upgrade of an pre-existing COMBAT-RELIABLE platform. Maybe it is, maybe it is not by any poster's reasons, but the second PMAGS are espoused as "real mags" and everything else (that were in fact "real mags" before magpul existed) isn't is the moment the speaker loses all credibility with his assessment.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering that (other than the Thermold Novelties) every magazine I own is USGI contract spec and many have actually seen military service, we aren't exactly asking whether I should upgrade my Ram-line gun show mag collection. Magazines that have withstood 35-45 years of use in foreign conflict aren't exactly plink-grade equipment. PMAGs are new with advanced advantages that are apparent. They may/may be more rugged by virtue of their age and/or condition, but you have either become jaded by reading all the other threads or your assessment is myopic. If you consider USGI contract magazines (Okay, Labelle, Sanchez, Adventurline, etc) as mere plinking fodder, then we are on different planets.

The question is more along the line of the features of PMAGs being worth the cost upgrade of an pre-existing COMBAT-RELIABLE platform. Maybe it is, maybe it is not by any poster's reasons, but the second PMAGS are espoused as "real mags" and everything else (that were in fact "real mags" before magpul existed) isn't is the moment the speaker loses all credibility with his assessment.
View Quote

You're exactly right.  G.i. mags ain't nuthin' to scoff at.

Pmags are good mags.  I think Pmags shine when you really beat the shit of your mags, like in high volume training classes.  I used to do a few a year and mags catch Hell because they get dropped all up and down the line and people step on 'em, they get banged in the ground going prone a lot, they do many reps of emergency reloads.  It's loads of fun.    

I think (from experience) that Pmags hold up to that type of use better.  I've never had a cracked Pmag, but I did use a set until they would not reliably drop free any more, were starting to cause double feeds, and would lose rounds on a hard emergency reload.  This was a set of 12 mags that shot about 15K rounds over the course of a little over a year in several multiple day classes, a match most every weekend, and usually a range day during the week.

I've used g.i. mags in the same environment and they hold their own.  The only ones I've deadlined have been stepped on, and some had spread/bent feedlips.  Dropping partially loaded mags on cement is hard on 'em.   None of 'em last forever if you use 'em hard.

I have a huuuge stash of Pmags for usin' now.  I also have a huuuge stash of g.i. mags for stashin'....
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never once said USGI mags were "plinking fodder." I said that if your need is to go plinking, then "any mag is fine."

All I asked you to do is define what is "worth it." And you have answered, you said "the features of PMAGs being worth the cost upgrade." So the answer is clear then: if you need the capability afforded by the new PMAGS, then yes, they are worth it.

Also the "X product has always worked in the past, therefore X product will continue to be satisfactory" line of thinking is what is myopic. Do you think that USGI mags from 45 years ago are the same now? No. Hell the followers have been upgraded, what, like 3 times since the start of the GWOT? The guns they run in (M16 vs M4 and MK18) and the ammo they shoot (M193 vs M855A1) has completely changed. As a matter of factly, it is well known that current USGI mags do not reliably feed the new M855A1, while the newest PMAGS do. The latest update to the USGI mag is due very shortly to address this issue.. I believe the follower has been changed from tan to gray to indicate the change.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I think those are fair points if the ammunition used is moving outside of the original parameters of the magazine
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Soooo....  What brand magazines were developed by an actual R&D team?  Lancer?, USA? Orlite? Tango Down? TAPCO? ETS?  What is required to be an actual R&D team? Why does it even matter? I'll bet the Hindenburg was developed by an actual R&D team.  If magazines are good they are good, if they suck, they suck.  There was once a sponsor here that clamed to be ISO 9000 certified and his magazines sucked anyway.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe the follower has been changed from tan to gray to indicate the change.[/span]

View Quote

Damn, it took me years to remember "Tan is the plan".  What's next? Grey is the way?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Sell preban mags to some one is a ban state, buy new pmags, and keep profits.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
sell you old preban mags and replace with new mags
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Are Pmags worth it?.. yes, because they're cheap. If they'd cost more, no, they wouldn't be worth it. They are not known for being the BEST mags out there, they are known for being the best DEAL out there. They work, they work well, they're cheap. Win.
ETS, Lancer AWM's, Okay, etc... all better mags. All more expensive mags. Pmags ride that line between "good/great" for a low price. They're hard to beat for that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, you can make a pretty penny on pre-bans
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:15:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Had a chance to get new 30rd mags or pmags at essentially the same price.

Picked up the Colts.  Not even a decision.

I have 20 or so pmags.  Good mags, but usgi aluminum mags are my go to mags.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Pmags are great and very reliable and all, but if you have plenty of others that are in good condition and give you no problems there's no sense in buying a bunch of Pmags just to buy Pmags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I did.  In '04 I had a bunch of preban GI thirties.  I'd paid $20 each during the federal ban.   I replaced the springs and traded out the black followers for green anti-tilt.   I sold these to guys in states that kept state bans for $20.  They got a legal rebuilt mag at a reasonable price.  I turned around and paid $7 each for brand new Okay thirties.   Tripled my stash and got mags into shooter's hands in unfriendly states.    Everybody won.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

STOCK UP BIG.
View Quote

Same goes for me.  Stock up on Gen M2 Pmags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

STOCK UP BIG.

Seems like most of the shooters I know prefer the M2 mags over the M3.

Why do you like 'em?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Honestly the pros on the pmags make them worth getting. If shit hit the fan I'd take the plastic over the metal. Do you need to replace your mags, hell no. But I'd get a few plastic mags from a reputable brand.

I don't own any pmags I prefer a different brand. Pmags do have one hell of an r&d program but they also need to focus on cost if they want to continue to be a major supplier to the gov.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you ever run thru a carbine class ?

USGI mags are unusable because (almost) every time you drop them during a drill the lips get bent and as a consequence they don't feed properly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

USGI mags are unusable because (almost) every time you drop them during a drill the lips get bent and as a consequence they don't feed properly.
View Quote

Don't post stupid shit.  

I've used g.i. Mags through many days of 'carbine class' and never damaged a feedlip.  People stepping on 'em has damaged maybe one that I can recall.  

G.i. mags hold up fine.  Pmags hold up a little better, but outside of getting stepped on or run over, a g.i. mag will last longer.  

FWIW, I'm using Pmags this year.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

LoL, time and combat have tested usgi mags and guess what?  Usgi mags still work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Don't post stupid shit.

I've used g.i. Mags through many days of 'carbine class' and never damaged a feedlip.  People stepping on 'em has damaged maybe one that I can recall.  

G.i. mags hold up fine.  Pmags hold up a little better, but outside of getting stepped on or run over, a g.i. mag will last longer.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't post stupid shit.

Godallmighty, ain't that the truth... There are a lot of people who have used mil-spec aluminum magazines for literally decades with very few issues. This isn't a knee-jerk "we've always done it that way" thing either - I personally welcome progress and improvement and have magpul followers in ALL of my Okay, Colt, and NHMTG magazines. I've got no problem latching onto something new if it's worth latching on to.

But to say that a mil-spec magazine will become non-functional almost every time you drop it is beyond ludicrous. I could probably count on one hand the number of magazines that I've had damaged by dropping or even being stepped on on something other than concrete, in 30+ years. I've had to replace worn-out springs a lot more often than I've had to throw out physically-damaged bodies.

How in the world did we reach the point where the branding of a simple rifle magazine has become a religion for so many people? I really like Pmags and have a bunch of them. I really like Lancers and have a smaller bunch of them. But can we please get past the mentality of "new or nothing"? That would be just lovely...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A carbine class?  Are you f#$king serious???
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Godallmighty, ain't that the truth... There are a lot of people who have used mil-spec aluminum magazines for literally decades with very few issues. This isn't a knee-jerk "we've always done it that way" thing either - I personally welcome progress and improvement and have magpul followers in ALL of my Okay, Colt, and NHMTG magazines. I've got no problem latching onto something new if it's worth latching on to.

But to say that a mil-spec magazine will become non-functional almost every time you drop it is beyond ludicrous. I could probably count on one hand the number of magazines that I've had damaged by dropping or even being stepped on on something other than concrete, in 30+ years. I've had to replace worn-out springs a lot more often than I've had to throw out physically-damaged bodies.

How in the world did we reach the point where the branding of a simple rifle magazine has become a religion for so many people? I really like Pmags and have a bunch of them. I really like Lancers and have a smaller bunch of them. But can we please get past the mentality of "new or nothing"? That would be just lovely...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't post stupid shit.

Internet hype.  Ask anyone that obsesses over their golf equipment.  A hole blown through someone from a magazine built in 1965 will kill someone the same as a bullet from a magazine built in 2015.  USGI magazines are being used in combat on a daily basis and doing just fine...........
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why do you like 'em?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STOCK UP BIG.

Why do you like 'em?

cheaper, plus they come in pretty colors!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/612074_Our_Military_Magazine_Torture_Test.html

Also a quote from the test's final analysis comparing the Gen II to the Gen III.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Final Evaluation:

The Magpul Gen2 Magazine was the unanimous winner after all the tests were said and done.
Collectivly the final determination was decided by these factors:

The Magpul Gen2 had the strength, it felt solid, it past the muddy water test with no
need for another rinse to function, it had smooth magwell operation for seating loaded
and unloaded, and it was easy to take apart and clean. There was no major issues concerning
the Magpul Gen2's function and reliability throughout the tests.
The only issue brought up by the soldier's was better drainage for water.

The Magpul Gen3:
This magazine had some trouble during the muddy water test where its older brother the Gen2 passed
with flying colors. The Gen3 had to be washed out multiple times so we could continue the testing.
All Soldier's liked the improved grip and texture. They liked the beefiness and toughness of
the Gen3, all Soldier's would of liked the Gen3 to stick with the longer follower the Gen2 had.

I miss being able to clip the feedlip cover to the bottom of the magazine. Seems the Gen3 mag is an attempt by Magpul to sell more feedlip covers. And YES, there are a number of people who used that feature, regardless of what ARFCOM and Magpul say.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Novelties. Heh. I have a number of 30rnd Thermolds from the 90's (H21 and H22 series), and they have never failed me. Yes, newer mags are better-made, but the Thermolds are as reliable for me as USGI. No reason for me to get rid of them... but I have replaced the springs. I have a lot of Pmags and L5AWMs, but I'm simply not a mag snob. If it works reliably, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I've run gen2 windowed PMAG 30s & straight 20s with only one complaint, I've had to file them down a lot to get them to insert & release smoothly in my RRA lower, and they still don't drop free. I mainly like them for their dust covers, but overall I prefer stainless steel mags when I can get them at a good price.
In my 5.45x39 build I run the 20 round aluminum GI mags with the tilt followers, they're $10 when they go on sale and no issues. Not what I'd consider then best mag, but they work in both calibers and they're cheap enough I won't care if one goes in the trash.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've run gen2 windowed PMAG 30s & straight 20s with only one complaint, I've had to file them down a lot to get them to insert & release smoothly in my RRA lower, and they still don't drop free. I mainly like them for their dust covers, but overall I prefer stainless steel mags when I can get them at a good price.
In my 5.45x39 build I run the 20 round aluminum GI mags with the tilt followers, they're $10 when they go on sale and no issues. Not what I'd consider then best mag, but they work in both calibers and they're cheap enough I won't care if one goes in the trash.

View Quote

Hi,

Like you I favor stainless steel magazines, but I have a different take on the Gen 2 P-MAGS. My son carried  a full load out of the 30 round Windows tan Gen 2 MAG‘s in Iraq and Afghanistan.  My son used his magazines in firefights, no jams.  The magazines, all of them fit his M4 and RRA carbine no problems no failures.

My experience testing the Gen 2's is that they are much more durable then the Gen 3 magazines.  My take is that given the right brand of stainless magazine the difference is between best, and better.  I certainly would not feel handicapped carrying Gen 2 MAG's, or USGI magazines with any follower but black, and pick them up when the price is right.

Best Regards:
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top