Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 6:38:09 PM EDT
With the stuff going on in Paris, I saw pics of their law enforcement using coupled mags on their AR platforms. It was my impression that no one seriously considers coupled mags anymore, but maybe I'm wrong?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info as that makes sense. I had a few 40 round mags lying around so I coupled them for a similar SHTF situation as you described. Certainly adds a lot of weight to the weapon and would change its handling.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Gen 1 Redi-Mag FTW!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 1 set of coupled mags in my go to gun for HD. I wouldn't want to hump that rifle around for an extended period like that though. Adds a considerable amount of felt weight. It's less about needing 60 rounds and more about having a spare mag at hand if there is any sort of mag related malfunction.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, the biggest advantage for LE to use coupled mags isn't faster mag changes. It is being able to grab-n-go with twice the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO, the biggest advantage for LE to use coupled mags isn't faster mag changes. It is being able to grab-n-go with twice the ammo.
View Quote

This is really the advantage. When they need their rifles they are already behind the curve arriving on scene of an active shooter situation. No time to throw on a chest rig or any other way to carry ammo. If you cant solve it with 56 rounds of 5.56 then there is a serious problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. I keep a pouch with four mags next to the gun (plus a plate carrier with more mags) but many of my coworkers don't even have an extra mag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
We never did this in Afghanistan.  With Army Issue LBE is really wasn't possible or practice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I can see an advantage to it speed wise, but also see a training inconsistency for right handed shooters.  Mags go to the ground, and when my rifle runs dry my left hand is reaching for a new mag somewhere else.  I'd have to be very conscious of the fact that it was my first mag and not to let it hit the deck like any other subsequent mag.  Now for a lefty running an AR in the traditional configuration, I've been trained to use your right hand and your thumb to release, and remove the mag from the rifle.  So my right hand would already be there and I think would be a better application.  

For me since I don't get to train and go to the range as much as I'd like, I like to keep everything consistent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
A Deputy I know runs a coupled mag because he does not carry AR mags on him, but if he grabs his AR he wants to have extra ammo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a few in Iraq back in the day. I had one myself but decided against using it due to the bulk. The guys that did use it used it as the first mag in the rifle so that the first reload was quicker, but the rest of their mags were just singles in the pouches.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can see an advantage to it speed wise, but also see a training inconsistency for right handed shooters.  Mags go to the ground, and when my rifle runs dry my left hand is reaching for a new mag somewhere else.  I'd have to be very conscious of the fact that it was my first mag and not to let it hit the deck like any other subsequent mag.  Now for a lefty running an AR in the traditional configuration, I've been trained to use your right hand and your thumb to release, and remove the mag from the rifle.  So my right hand would already be there and I think would be a better application.  

For me since I don't get to train and go to the range as much as I'd like, I like to keep everything consistent.
View Quote

I always physically grabbed the mag before I reload no matter the matter if it's from a belt, rifle, or chest rig/PC so it's depending on what your manual of arms is.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even if you drop it a full mag on the ground is better than one back in the car.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
My personal carbine that's departmentally approved for duty use has one mag kept inserted in the well and then 2x 20 rounders in a stock pouch. I grab and go and have 67 rds ready to use. ( down loaded each by 1, this allows for positive lock up on insertion into the well).
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
What a lot of you guys saw in France was coupled mags on the G36. They (and the SIG 550 series) have magazines with ready made attachment points on them. The most positive feature about coupled magazines is that you can grab your stick out of the rack or bag and you have 60 rounds on board . The bad part about coupled magazines is that you teach two reload methods. One is to exchange magazines and the other is to drop the mags and go to the pouch for a reload.  As a long time trainer and user I prefer only having to master one reload method instead of two.
Having said that, I won't use coupled mags on the M4 platform but use it whenever I'm running the HK or SIG platform. Location of the magazine catch on the SIG and HK make the coupled mag slightly easier, but on d again it's learning two different reloads and having the SA to know when to do wich one.

The other other issue is finding magazine pouches when using magazines with the coupler points. The plate carrier that I use is a Crye JPC and the single mags from a SIG (or HK) barely fit going in and are very hard to pull out. I dremeled the detente off and they fit fine. Some agencies / entities won't let you do that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#18]
We never did this in the Army FWIW
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in the late 90s SOCOM issued the RediMag.  Tried it but found the weight balance off and never went back.  We carry our guns allot so that was the driving force.  As stated however, if you just keep the gun loaded in the vehicle/home/boat and grab it on the way out without a vest/LBE/mag carrier/bandoleer then it could be beneficial.  I have bandoleers with loaded 30rd mags placed where I might need them.

CD
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Who has used a coupler and had the first round on the second mag move enough under recoil to cause a problem when trying to load it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#22]
One magazine in the weapon loaded with 28 rounds.

VERY FEW Law Enforcement engagements require anywhere near that much ammo. Plus, usually back-up is minutes away in a shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
we dont
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I know Mr Bracken frequents these forums, so I'm surprised that he (or someone else) hasn't chimed in with this link:

http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/2010/09/bracken-in-praise-of-duplexed-ar-mags.html

Makes a good argument for having at least one or two duplexed ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I do but I have never seen any other LEO with one. We are issued two 30 rounds mags but I have no place to carry the extra mag on my duty belt. So I coupled the two mags. My thinking is that if I ever need to deploy the rifle, I will not have time to find the extra mag. If I could find the spare, sticking the mag in my pocket and then running to an active shooter scene seemed like a good way to lose the spare.

For home, I have a few 20rounders coupled because they fit in the rifle case, inserted in the rifle while the 30 rounders do not fit..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Much more common in the Turd World.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I just can't see strapping mags together. I can see wanting a reload on the weapon itself. I have one of these and it works great with a 20 round PMAG in the stock. FAB STOCK

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Not worth the extra weight on my rifle. I got enough shit hanging off it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]
No....Rather have them in my pouch. Then hanging from my gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't think of anyone in the US Army I've seen with a magazine coupler who was actually in a combat unit.
There's a reason Infantry trains on reload drills. Once you're good at them, you can reload in about 2-3 seconds. And there's less chance of your mag feedlips getting fucked up, or dropping your coupled mags because you didn't grab it right, or having to remember if you already used your second mag, or if you have to dig into a pouch for a new one. One magazine at a time eliminates variables, and variables are the prime motherfucker of combat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Virginia State Police uses (as of 2010) 20rnd USGI mags and Redi-Mags
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#32]
We were issued may couplers with our M4s before deploying to Iraq but never used them. However we got Redi-mags once down range.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I used a mag coupler in Baghdad.

It adds a lot of weight to the rifle. It made sense, because we were doing shorter foot patrols (lots of them) or in vehicles or in over watch positions.

I wouldn't want one for long range patrols, or terrain/threat where longer range shots would be common (it's harder to hold a heavier weapon steady).
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info as that makes sense. I had a few 40 round mags lying around so I coupled them for a similar SHTF situation as you described. Certainly adds a lot of weight to the weapon and would change its handling.
View Quote

And it's really cool when you need to go prone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#35]
"How many shots you gonna take Rambo ? "
I can still hear my platoon Sgt asking PFC Lynch that.
Never give boored grunts electrical tape.

Coupled mags are great if you are fighting a immobilized enemy In a police action / harassment role.

It's a detriment to the gunner to run two dry and then switch over to single mags. Because then you've got this giant napkin holder your trying to get to stay on your web gear as you displace to gain their flank.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Every trooper and soldier in my unit were issued mag couplers for deployment. Ranger tabs, couplers, special 3-mag pouch, Surefire weapon lights, etc.

Did we use them? Very few of the Scouts did, if any. I'm sure some of the pogs did.

I didn't, ever, and wouldn't. Too heavy/bulky to bother with. Also, the couplers had a bad thing of damaging our mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
With the stuff going on in Paris, I saw pics of their law enforcement using coupled mags on their AR platforms. It was my impression that no one seriously considers coupled mags anymore, but maybe I'm wrong?
View Quote

No idea any more but being in LE ive never seen them used(in any capacity) and same..was Military never seen them used there also..doesnt mean they are not just means in 4 years Military and 28 years LE ive never seen them used. Darn, sorry I mis read your post I thought you were asking if any military or LE used them..that was my reply..which was no.. But I could see using them if you like to speed up reloads if its to your liking I am not adverse to them..
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Might be individual officers, or agencies that haven't changed the way they train their guys or their gear in a while.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top