Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2014 1:42:54 PM EDT
So PMags have been out a while. The cheap ones that don't have a cover; does every one think it will hold up 20 or 30 years loaded? I'm going to buy a few of each, but worried about how much I should invest in PMags. I want 40~ mags. 10PMags/30GI, or 20/20?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick one, you can't really go wrong either way. USGI mags tend to be a few buck cheaper if cost is a concern.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy USGI.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I like USGI
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
i like and use both.    Gen 2 pmags and usgi mags with pmag followers
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
How long have PMags been around and have anybody seen failures? Feed lip creap as seen with Orlites, etc? I already have a FEW Pmags but they are mostly un used. I've got a job now and figure I'll buy what will probably be my last mag purchase to last the rest of my life (40 mags) then start buying enough ammo to load them all and put them up for EOTWAWKI.
I'm looking at buying a mix of PSA Aluminum and DSG aluminum and either 25% or 50% PMags. I'm also going to buy a few Thermolds just for goofs, to test and see how they hold up over time.
ETA: WILL NOT put all of my eggs in one basket. Did that once. Bought SHITTY C-Products mags back in the day, they were out of spec, tight in mag well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]
L5AWM
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
L5AWM
View Quote

This.The best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both ......

3 PMags
200+++  GI

Most of the GI Mags are from the VN era

Maybe if I do not use the PMags they will last as long.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I have about 50/50 of USGI/Pmags

But I also have 15-20 lancer AWMs that I use for everything else.

Get all 3
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
USGI work fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the pmags will hold up, but that hasn't stopped me from putting back Lancers, USGI aluminum, and a few of those Israeli steel magazines for $6 each.

Eggs not being in one basket and all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Usgi mags have been proven to last, pmags have not.  I invested in about 70 colt mags for longterm storage and i have about 40 pmags for regular use, which i only ever use 2 to 3 anyways.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Both!

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Lancer is you answer!

Superior to both usgi and pmags.

Cannot go wrong with Lancers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had good luck storing my Pmags WITH the dust covers snapped on, and also my 40 round C-Products stainless mags, and my Lancers. I don't leave my USGI (type) aluminum mags loaded for a long time for the most part, but they seem to hold up for as long as I've left them (months, not years).

And don't let anyone lie to you, magazine springs CAN "take a set"...which is not an attempt to start a flame war, just a statement of fact. It has happened to me personally a few times.

That problem can be prevented or greatly lessened by using Wolff gun springs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
L5AWM

This! There is a vendor in the EE selling them 10/$100.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I figure pmags will probably last for decades unless subjected to trauma, and I have a bunch of them.
I figure L5AWM's will probably last for decades unless subjected to trauma, and I have a smaller bunch of them.

I absolutely know that mil-spec aluminum will last for decades unless subjected to trauma, and I have a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I vote USGI.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#22]
How are the D&H mags that are currently $7 at PSA?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want to know the same thing. I'm in for 40 if they are good.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#24]
get whatever is cheapest.  both work
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#25]
if I was putting together a 30-year stash, I would have mostly USGI.

but I would add some 20rd   steel mags to the mix.        
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a few beers and ordered 100 of them (along with 2 uppers, 2 Bcg/ch, and 2 parts kits and 450 rounds Ammo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#27]
My Thermolds are now at least 20 years old, and still run fine.

Damn, in a couple weeks,, it'll be 20 years since the AWB started.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Ditto.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ditto.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Ditto.....

Yup
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I personally like the pmags better, if your worried about wearing them out get the ones with the covers on them. Also if you really want tough mags above all else you could go with the expensive and heavy HK steal mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
No vote because no 50/50 option.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I use PMags for range time, GI for long-term storage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I like both. If taken care of theyll both last
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I decided to buy 40 GI mags.
This thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/655588_Older_PMags___Feed_Lip_Spread_.html makes me glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a mix of 50/50 G.I. and p mags with a couple English steel mags, a couple Lancers and I did just buy  7 E lander mags from that,  place of which we do not speak. I like the E-Landers a whole bunch, they are steel and very reliable in my AR, Not reliable in the Tavor though, Which is strange because I thought they were made for the Tavor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:18:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For an idea on how PMags fair against USGI when you actually use them please see the comparison here...

PMag M3 vs USGI testing videos- HK 416 full auto with high speed video

As for longevity of the plastic mags, polymer technology has advanced greatly since Thermold and Orlite made magazines. PMag are still being used 5 years later. Glock pistols are still going strong over a decade later.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I already bought about 30+ PMags, but this time I decided to go with aluminum. I just think everything I've seen in my life tells me metal beats plastic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Buy Lancer and never worry about anything again!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I would get both. I really like my D&H mags. When I was in Afg we had some aluminum mags (don't recall the manufacture/CAGE code on them) that appeared to have been stored loaded for quite some time and many of them were bulged and some spot welds looked like they were about to give out. Those would not insert into mag wells very well nor drop free. Ended up crushing them and tossing out before they got someone in a bad spot. I deployed with 7 new USGI in the wrapper but ended up using 7 PMAGs I brought from home.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I would get both. I really like my D&H mags. When I was in Afg we had some aluminum mags (don't recall the manufacture/CAGE code on them) that appeared to have been stored loaded for quite some time and many of them were bulged and some spot welds looked like they were about to give out. Those would not insert into mag wells very well nor drop free. Ended up crushing them and tossing out before they got someone in a bad spot. I deployed with 7 new USGI in the wrapper but ended up using 7 PMAGs I brought from home.
View Quote
USGI mags are considered consumable and they don't last forever....I'd wager those mags had gone through MORE abuse than any civvie owned mags.  At least you destroyed them....I can't tell you how many times I would find unservicable mags being ISSUED OUT....

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
USGI mags are considered consumable and they don't last forever....I'd wager those mags had gone through MORE abuse than any civvie owned mags.  At least you destroyed them....I can't tell you how many times I would find unservicable mags being ISSUED OUT....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does anybody remember during the AWB? We couldn't buy new mags and couldn't procure them through the supply chain. I remember a Coast Guard unit useing "Pre-Ban" Orlite mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Does anybody remember during the AWB? We couldn't buy new mags and couldn't procure them through the supply chain. I remember a Coast Guard unit useing "Pre-Ban" Orlite mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never had a problem getting mags during the ban years...

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I will tell you most of the problems I had with my rifle (I had a A2 all 3 deployments) were due to old worn USGI mags. I don't see this being a problem with Pmags. I just got 6 M3 pmags. I figure if they fail it will be obvious and quick. It's much less obvious with a USGI aluminum mag imo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#44]
With many other things, I think "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket" applies.  I don't make large magazine orders; instead, I generally buy 2-5 at a time and it is just because I'm ordering something else.  I just alternate the types of magazines I order between various versions of Pmags, Lancers, and USGI (mainly NHMTG).

I also keep some loaded long term and other NIW.  Hopefully, even if a large portion of them fail over time, there will be something that survives!

EDIT - I finally bought an AK somewhat recently and magazines don't seem to be as big of a problem in terms of longevity.  Hell, most of the ones I've bought appear to be 40 years old or older already.  Collecting-wise, though, AK magazines are much more addicting.q

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I like and own several Magpuls, but I'm buying nothing by L5AWM's from this point. I don't see any weakness with Magpul, but the Lancers are engineered better. The grip is also much more positive, and they are still being manufactured in different colors.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#46]
P mags work well and the feed lips wont bend is the are dropped on them like metal mags

Metal mags are easier to store in pouches or ammo cans because they are flatter

I have over 100 of each ... maybe 400+ by now

just type in pmag vs usgi and you'll see the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-bVP6MQD0
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I have both, but by the time I swap out followers it is just easier to buy pmags, so that is what I plan to stack deep. I love lancer's too, but for the price of 1.5-2 pmags they arent worth it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Both are good. I think over all the PMAG is a better magazine. They will last long enough. So for me PMAGS gets my vote. There are some really good deals on magazines out there. These are the good old days.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Also if you really want tough mags above all else you could go with the expensive and heavy HK steal mags.
View Quote

Tough?

You mean the CRAP the U.S. Military DUMPED because of weak springs and improper heat treating of the feed lips?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lancer is you answer!

Superior to both usgi and pmags.

Cannot go wrong with Lancers.
View Quote

I use lancers for 300 blackout, pmags for 5.56, and have a few Aluminum and Thermold  laying around from impulse buys during the shortage. The Lancers seem a little  better built.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top