BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 8/10/2012 4:34:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WI57]
I decided to do an assorted magazine "shoot off".

I ordered an assortment of different mags from MidwayUSA, I only ordered solid black to be fair across the board.
Different mfg's had offered to send me mags to test, but I figured I'd just buy my own so there was no favoritism.

The test specimens.

Unboxing them.

The Troy Battle Mag, first thing I did was pop the tab thing out and put the flat one in.

The TangoDown ARC MK2 mag.

The Pmag, since magpul hasn't released their newest mag I can't test it, so this is what I used.
I am not using the dust cover for any of these tests.

The Lancer L5 AWM.

The Tapco Intrafuse mag.

The Tan Follower GI mag.

And the Green Follower GI mag.

So Left to Right, Troy, TangoDown, Pmag, Lancer, Tapco, Tan GI, and Green GI.

I used my SR-15 as the host gun for the mag well fitting, all dropped free empty..

Troy

TangoDown

Pmag

Lancer

Tapco

Tan GI

Green GI

I plan on testing them all with a wide variety of ammunition.
I will be using IMI 5.56 M855 for the first function test.

Troy

TangoDown

Pmag

Lancer

Tapco

Tan GI

Green GI

Off to the range we go...  

eta- 56k warning.
eta- phone user warning.
eta- video
eta- part 2
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for your time and efforts to do this test as well as posting pics and vids on the results!

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for this Test.  Very simple winner:

#1)  Lancer  (not surprising given "best of both worlds" hybrid engineering with the steel feed lips on a polymer platform)

This Magpul debate was interesting & not going to get in middle of a Lovers Spat, but one thing should be very clear:
Magpul mags are overrated as the 'end all, be all' mag. They are just another polymer mag with the same intrinsic flaws consistent with other all-polymer mags.
Although must say at least in this unscientific test, Magpul appeared the worst of it's all-polymer peers.
Think eventually multi-material "hybrid" mags like Lancer will become more of the standard...they are more expensive to produce than an all-polymer, but clearly will perform the best.

Peace

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 9:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DannyDoubleO7:

#1)  Lancer  (not surprising given "best of both worlds" hybrid engineering with the steel feed lips on a polymer platform)

This Magpul debate was interesting & not going to get in middle of a Lovers Spat, but one thing should be very clear:
Magpul mags are overrated as the 'end all, be all' mag. They are just another polymer mag with the same intrinsic flaws consistent with other all-polymer mags.
Although must say at least in this unscientific test, Magpul appeared the worst of it's all-polymer peers.
Think eventually multi-material "hybrid" mags like Lancer will become more of the standard...they are more expensive to produce than an all-polymer, but clearly will perform the best.

Peace

View Quote

My final conclusion as well.  I went with Lancer.  As to being more expensive - not really.  You can buy Lancer's for $11.50.  A little more if you want the clear - I did, and got them for about $14.50.  PMags aren't any cheaper.  I like PMags, have had good luck with them, I just like the Lancers better.  In addition to being tougher, I like how the Lancers don't have the fat floor plate, and their clear version has far better witness marks.  The thing I always hated about PMags is I load them from a bag o' bullets, so I don't know how many are in it.  How do I know if it's 30 or 31 rounds or 32 rounds or 28 rounds?  Yea, you can figure it out and all, but with the Lancers - you can tell because they have witness marks for the bullet nose at 10,20,and 30 positions.  And you can count noses because the whole thing is clear.  It's just better.   If Magpul comes up with a clear version with steel lips, I'd be excited to try it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
LazyE....great price on your Lancer mags, well done! Could you please share where you got them for that price? I have only one at the moment, but would like to buy about 10 or so. Thanks in advance....

Interesting, was just on Wilson Combat site for some 1911 stuff, and see Wilson only sells Lancer mags for polymers. Bill Wilson from my experience will only sell the best.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 3:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
LazyE....great price on your Lancer mags, well done! Could you please share where you got them for that price? I have only one at the moment, but would like to buy about 10 or so. Thanks in advance....

Interesting, was just on Wilson Combat site for some 1911 stuff, and see Wilson only sells Lancer mags for polymers. Bill Wilson from my experience will only sell the best.
View Quote

Price is hot-linked to source in my post.  Same vendor was having a sale on the clear, but they have since upped the price.  Shop around some, they'll come down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Price is hot-linked to source in my post.  Same vendor was having a sale on the clear, but they have since upped the price.  Shop around some, they'll come down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks LazyE. Interesting....was going to get 10 of the black ones, but then noticed the vendor has what appears to be the exact same mag for two different prices. Can't tell if one is an 'older' model than the other or if they are the same thing and incorrectly priced. That said didn't put in an order at all. You're a better man than me if can decipher their site. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks LazyE. Interesting....was going to get 10 of the black ones, but then noticed the vendor has what appears to be the exact same mag for two different prices. Can't tell if one is an 'older' model than the other or if they are the same thing and incorrectly priced. That said didn't put in an order at all. You're a better man than me if can decipher their site. Thanks again!
View All Quotes

If you buy the one in the hotlink, its the newest version.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#8]

View All Quotes

It's CTD.  Philosophically I actually agree with how they do business, with price floating based on demand and regional costs.  Allowing you the cheapest prices at times, and constant availability during panic buy sessions.  But as a customer, they are annoying because price floats all over the damned place, and the same item has 3 different prices depending on what warehouse you order from.  I buy from them whey the are cheap, I laugh at them when they are not.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]

My final conclusion as well.  I went with Lancer.  As to being more expensive - not really.  You can buy Lancer's for $11.50.  A little more if you want the clear - I did, and got them for about $14.50.  PMags aren't any cheaper.  I like PMags, have had good luck with them, I just like the Lancers better.  In addition to being tougher, I like how the Lancers don't have the fat floor plate, and their clear version has far better witness marks.  The thing I always hated about PMags is I load them from a bag o' bullets, so I don't know how many are in it.  How do I know if it's 30 or 31 rounds or 32 rounds or 28 rounds?  Yea, you can figure it out and all, but with the Lancers - you can tell because they have witness marks for the bullet nose at 10,20,and 30 positions.  And you can count noses because the whole thing is clear.  It's just better.   If Magpul comes up with a clear version with steel lips, I'd be excited to try it.
View All Quotes

Peace

The mantra on this forum used to be "The magazine is the heart of the rifle, so price doesn't matter, what's a couple of dollars more per mag if your life is on the line, blah, blah, blah...."  How times have changed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
WI57,

I have come out of LURKER mode to say this thread was a great read from start to finish.

THANKS for all the time, money and effort you put into this. (I bet it was fun too )
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread shouldn't die, so I think I'll give some mag testing a whirl but it's going to take a while.

For starters this guy:

Is going to be up here for a bit.

It'll get some company but I have a short school I have to go to first so I won't get other mags up for a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Time to read through this thread again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:06:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#14]
If we're keeping this thread alive I can post some mag tests too, including my new SureFire 60s, if anyone is interested, and yes they have been successfully tested in my Ruger SR556 and my wife's Olympic, and will soon get worked out in my brothers' Bushmaster, POF, and hopefully in my uncle's S&W as well. Someone mentioned hearing bad things about the SureFires. Can anyone post me a link to any of those. I would kike to check those out, JIC I end up needed the knowledge at a bad time.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:05:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Suburban] [#15]
Originally Posted By brotherzoo:
If we're keeping this thread alive I can post some mag tests too, including my new SureFire 60s, if anyone is interested, and yes they have been successfully tested in my Ruger SR556 and my wife's Olympic, and will soon get worked out in my brothers' Bushmaster, POF, and hopefully in my uncle's S&W as well. Someone mentioned hearing bad things about the SureFires. Can anyone post me a link to any of those. I would kike to check those out, JIC I end up needed the knowledge at a bad time.
View Quote

Surefire 60 catastrophic failure
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a Lancer AWM let a round loose into the action when I inserted the magazine.  I happened to see it happen, and didn't let the bolt close and induce a double feed.  I thought it was odd, but cleared it and continued.  At home, I tried to replicate it, and was able to get it to happen over and over again.  I tried downloading the magazine 1, 2, and 3 rounds, and it still did it.  If you are going to use Lancer magazines, I would suggest you try slapping the magazine in "with vigor," but not abusively hard.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag for future perusal.

Also OP, if you want to top your Barret finale then when the times comes, ship me the mag remains and I can apply high explosives to the mag bodies and they can . . .go away.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I would LOVE to see the stainless ASC magazines tested!
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
You'll have e to add that new hex mag next time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:29:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NoPowerInTheVerse:
I would LOVE to see the stainless ASC magazines tested!
View Quote

Fortier usesd a stainless CP mag in his SGN test. It crumplesd more easily than an aluminum mag.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Well that's disappointing...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder how the Hexmag would hold up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow that was boring
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Magpul:

As we posted before the PMag used in this test was the oldest design amongst all the magazines and it still did very well.

Since then, we completed the 3 year R&D program resulting in the M3 magazine. The M3 material is now used in the M2 magazines but the real strength improvements were seen in the M3. We have posted a variety of impact tests with high speed video and full auto function testing on a HK416.

PMag M3 testing- High Speed Video - Full Auto

View Quote

Very informational and interesting thread.

In regards to Magpul using the M3 polymer in the M2 mags, i wonder when they started doing this and how many of my M2 mags have the more advanced polymer. It makes sense from a production standpoint to only use one type of polymer, but I'd also be very curious to know what gains in strength and durability were realized from using the new material in the older mag design, if any.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm curious to see how the ETS polymer mags would hold up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#30]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#31]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Good read above.  We have over 800 Pmags in service at work.  I think we have had all of 5 crack since we started issuing them in 2009.  Not a bad track record I think.  In fact I have two cracked Pmags in my truck I have taken off the street.  I have been using them as training mags this past year since they still work fine.  

We have about 250 Lancers also.  They work fine too.  The Lancers have only been used since 2013.  David
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:40:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkingllama] [#33]
I found this thread searching for new magazine options after I recently discovered that some PMAGs feed lips break in the sub zero.  Decided to start looking at other options.  Very interesting.  Great read.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]

M2 PMags are rated down to -30 and M3 PMags are rated down to -60. They are designed to run just fine even in the event that they are damaged.

http://youtu.be/JVobY9KdeHc?list=PLLLtq9scclwKVYVSGUsrOsprdHo_TKJt7
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By walkingllama:
I found this thread searching for new magazine options after I recently discovered that some PMAGs feed lips break in the sub zero.  Decided to start looking at other options.  Very interesting.  Great read.

M2 PMags are rated down to -30 and M3 PMags are rated down to -60. They are designed to run just fine even in the event that they are damaged.

Hi,

Thanks for the video, it was very interesting seeing the tests you conduct at Magpul on your magazines.  The video does raise some issues what test procedure do you follow? Testing one magazine out of a lot may not find a significant flaw.  The statement " They are designed to run just fine even in the event that they are damaged" is true in my experence with cracked P-Mag's, but bad practice to keep running them.  The paradox with this video is If the mag cracks it's a fail, but it would still pass your firing test in the video. The spline and lip fatigue cracks aren't always obivious on casual visual inspection shown in the video.  It would make the video more credible to show an inspection of the mag for cracks using a dye or some other method to show it's a true pass.  

Regards:

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#36]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Thats all well and good, and I am sure your tests show that.  I have seen different.  And the mags dont work when the feed lips come off in the gun at -6.5.  Causes a substantial malfunction.

I am sorry if my experience differs from your testing.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#38]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#39]

The PMag is the most widely fielded polymer M16/M4 magazine in US combat history, out numbering all others, combined. As such we are well aware of all types of failures through it's lifecycle of design changes since 2007.

That particular failure is only with earlier M-Rev colored magazines. For the M2s and M3s the failure mode is engineered to be located on the spine so as not to affect the magazines function in the event of impact damage.
View All Quotes

Thats all well and good, and I am sure your tests show that.  I have seen different.  And the mags dont work when the feed lips come off in the gun at -6.5.  Causes a substantial malfunction.

I am sorry if my experience differs from your testing.

The PMag is the most widely fielded polymer M16/M4 magazine in US combat history, out numbering all others, combined. As such we are well aware of all types of failures through it's lifecycle of design changes since 2007.

That particular failure is only with earlier M-Rev colored magazines. For the M2s and M3s the failure mode is engineered to be located on the spine so as not to affect the magazines function in the event of impact damage.

When did you guys starting naming the Gen2's "MOE" I thought that was the end of 2012 / beginning of 2013?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:51:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Aannnyyway.  Cool thread, hopefully you have good luck with the new job, would like to see more of the "very unscientific" tests that most certainly in no way reflect in any way on magpul.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

M2 (MOE) PMag is the same form factor as the MRev but the newer M3 polymer resin and more refined processing. (Current Production)

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:40:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#44]
BTT.  This thread should be preserved.  So much good, unbiased info...
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:44:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DelTonGuy] [#46]
Originally Posted By 35mm_Shooter:

The surface rust has had zero effect on the function of the AWM mag, yet the crack on the  PMAG resulted in it spitting out 93% of its rounds during the drop test. And this is not the first test to show the crack problem, I can't count the number of times I've seen this failure mode on PMAGs. I own over 200 PMAGs, I have no vested interest in bashing them.This constant spin just irks me
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 35mm_Shooter:
Originally Posted By ArmedPete:
This is a great thread. I subscribed a while ago and have been enjoying each test.
It's interesting to me how poorly the magpul pmag is holding up. The Lancer however is very impressive.
Thanks for doing this.

The PMag hasn't rusted and nothing has deformed in response to chemical exposure.

So the crack (which is common to other polymer magazines) is the only issue in this that we could have done better in. That said, even with the crack the PMag will still function when inserted into the magazine well of the weapon unlike the damaged USGI.

Increase in spine strength without affecting the high all round, proven performance of the PMag was one of the primary goals of the M3 PMag program. As a result the PMag M3 does have a several fold increase in spine strength over the current PMag magazine.

The surface rust has had zero effect on the function of the AWM mag, yet the crack on the  PMAG resulted in it spitting out 93% of its rounds during the drop test. And this is not the first test to show the crack problem, I can't count the number of times I've seen this failure mode on PMAGs. I own over 200 PMAGs, I have no vested interest in bashing them.This constant spin just irks me

+1 to bolded
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#47]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Bravo sir !

For doing this !
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Magpul's constant need to reply to every single non magpul loving comment is kind of annoying.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Very informative and good to know. Thanks again for sharing this with us.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top