BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/5/2011 7:30:39 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the new Troy mags?
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They arent out yet.

Magpul seems to be the only one thus far to have gotten a plymer mag to work just as well as an aluminum USGI mag.  And it even took them a while to work everything out.  So I am very leary of any new polymer magazine even if its from Troy.

I probably will never own one, I am not going into battle and it says its a battlemag anyways.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: Magpul seems to be the only one thus far to have gotten a plymer mag to work just as well as an aluminum USGI mag.

Lancer.....

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Troy makes good stuff. Can't wait to try a few. Anyone know when they will be out on the market?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 5:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Troy makes good stuff. Can't wait to try a few. Anyone know when they will be out on the market?

From their industry forum
Quoted:
We are now accepting pre-orders online and the tentative release date is the 2nd or 3rd week in June. Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted: Magpul seems to be the only one thus far to have gotten a plymer mag to work just as well as an aluminum USGI mag.

Lancer.....

+1

My Lancer mags are outstanding and have worked just as well as my pmags.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Magpul seems to be the only one thus far to have gotten a plymer mag to work just as well as an aluminum USGI mag.

I've been beating on a EMA countdown mag for about 7 months now, dropping it, kicking it, loading shooting, rinse, lather, repeat and it hasn't had a problem yet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So what is special about the Troy mag?
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what is special about the Troy mag?

The main thing I see is that they are smooth all over like EMAGs. It's sort of annoying that my PMAGs don't fit all that well in my issued LBV cause of the ridges they have.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
These look pretty good, and with Troy's reputation, they ought to be great.
However, I'll probably hold off on buying for 2 reasons.

1.) No cap! One of the biggest draws to the PMAG is that I can store my mags fully loaded with the cap on, knowing that there is no damage or warping occurring. Doesn't look like Troy has got a similar system.
2.) If it ain't broke . . . I can get PMAGs for ~12. They are an amazing product, and unless Troy mags have something revolutionary going on, I'm not sure what the benefit of buying them over PMAGs would be. Maybe they'll sell cheaper? Dunno.

All that being said, I'm sure the Troy mags are going to be nice. Troy makes nothing but the best, and these will be no exception, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I was exited about these mags when I placed a preorder 3 pack for them in February....of  2010.

After a few phone conversations over the course of the next 3 months my enthusiasm waned..... I kept getting the "early next month" line when I asked about their ETA at my door.

I understand production takes time I just didn't appreciate being kept on the hook thinking they were just about ready to ship.  I am quite surprised ts see that they are still "just around the corner".

I ended up canceling the order in May 2010.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Unless they do something better than modernized GI mags, PMags, or Lancer L5AWM, I don't know what the value proposition of these mags is.  The market is flooded with polymer mags.......
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice pic bro. Those mags are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#15]
As long as they're  a quality product, this flooding of the market is what we want. Competition is good as prices are generally kept low.

I've seen quality mags running below $9.00 more than a few times. This would have been wishful thinking as recently as a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancer.....

+1

My Lancer mags are outstanding and have worked just as well as my pmags.

+1,  and they work BETTER than P-Mags for me since the Lancers work with .458 SOCOM with all bullets without a bunch of BS grinding of the middle rib or having the follower pop out after the last round.  These TROYS look to me to be just more P-mags with a slightly different look.  Yawn.  I'll stick with my GI, CP, HK, and Lancers.

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I received a notification that my Troy Mags Shipped today!

So I guess they are ready.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#18]
They'd match my troy grip. Fish Scales FTW!  Actually I want to get some of these after a few reviews are in.  Cheaper than EMags, which is kinda what they look like they are challenging...
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
When I build my next AR I plan on trying out all the new mags including the new Lancers, the Troys, and the Tango Down ARC mags to see which works best. I do like the clean look of the Troys and everything I've bought from them is outstanding. I also like the new Battle Axe stock and that might be what goes on my next AR.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought 6 of them. Hope I didn't screw up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I just ordered a 3 pack yesterday, anxious to try them. I have faith in Troy that they will be all that and a box of crackers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
So explain to me the bottom of the mag and that thing pops out? Purpose?

http://troyind.com/%20/troy-weapon-upgrades/troy-battlemag
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Update to my Troy Mag tale....

Friday I received a Email UPS tracking notice from Troy with a subject line MAG GIFT and a shipping weight of 1.00 pounds.

As near as I can figure they are sending me an unsolicited mag to make up for my pre order last spring that was never filled.

For the record, I DID NOT bitch or complain, just respectfully canceled my order and forgot about it till this last few weeks.

They must really care about customer service, and I am impressed with their dedication.  Really hoping the mag is as good as I want it to be....
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I got an email today from Troy stating my mags were on back-order. I was hoping to have them for a class I'm taking next weekend, so I called to cancel the order. Turns out the mags in Flat Dark Earth,

which were the ones I'd ordered,  are on back-order; the mags in Black, however are available. So, after my agreeing to change the color, my order will ship out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Just ordered 4 Troy mags from Aim .
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#27]
AIM? Where on there site?
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just ordered 4 Troy mags from Aim .

Aim Surplus  
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
AIM? Where on there site?

Magazines
AR15 type rifle
Bottom of the page
$13.95 each w/free shipping
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Erik-AIM,

Great deal!

Quick question:  Are these black magazines?  

I am asking because I did not notice an option to select magazine body color and the pictures at your site show a black magazine ––- Just want to verify

Update:  Answered my own question –– Yes they are  

The Troy code for the black Battlemag 30rnd magazine is SMAG-SIN-00BT-00.  This corresponds to your MTSMAGSIN00BT00 assignment

Thanks,
Jay
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Got my mags today and I can say I am rather disappointed. My pmags feel stronger and tougher as well as having absolutely no follower tilt. The troys have follower tilt at the very top of the mag unlike the pmag which is tilt free even at the very top. They are too smooth for my liking even with the textured grips on them. The tab on the base plate is nice but still doesn't redeem the mag in my eyes. It is more complex to take apart than a pmag. To take it apart you first have to push the tab down into the mag. Then you need to push in either of the tabs on the side at the bottom to remove the internals whereas the pmag all you need to do is push down the grey tab and slide the base off. Also the fact that the tabs on the base plate which secure it to the mag are made of plastic that can be bent and possibly even broken in time concerns me as well. Personally I'll stick with my pmags.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Got my mags today and I can say I am rather disappointed. My pmags feel stronger and tougher as well as having absolutely no follower tilt. The troys have follower tilt at the very top of the mag unlike the pmag which is tilt free even at the very top. They are too smooth for my liking even with the textured grips on them. The tab on the base plate is nice but still doesn't redeem the mag in my eyes. It is more complex to take apart than a pmag. To take it apart you first have to push the tab down into the mag. Then you need to push in either of the tabs on the side at the bottom to remove the internals whereas the pmag all you need to do is push down the grey tab and slide the base off. Also the fact that the tabs on the base plate which secure it to the mag are made of plastic that can be bent and possibly even broken in time concerns me as well. Personally I'll stick with my pmags.

Do they work?
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they work?

Yes. But not to the expectations I had for them. As I said I prefer the pmags. In addition I run Superior Shooting Systems chrome silicon mag springs. Put them in pmags and you will never find a better mag.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they work?

Yes. But not to the expectations I had for them. As I said I prefer the pmags. In addition I run Superior Shooting Systems chrome silicon mag springs. Put them in pmags and you will never find a better mag.

So we all know that you didnt like the "feel" and "look" of them.

I guess if this was an art show, that would work.  What about their actual use and function with a firearm?
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#36]
The way that the baseplate attaches to the magazine is weak. The tabs will break. Not a fan.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they work?

So we all know that you didnt like the "feel" and "look" of them.

I guess if this was an art show, that would work.  What about their actual use and function with a firearm?

Why are you being a jerk? Completely uncalled for. The Evil One gave us plenty of specifics that he didn't like, besides concerning feel and look. Try reading his post again. In addition,  as this is a new product and we obviously don't have any experience with them, all information, including feel and look, is important and useful. Stop being an ass, as some of us appreciate the information.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I think that sometimes the worst thing people can do is use their fingers to somehow test a magazine.  anti-tilt followers are neat, under high speed video they do some good some times, they are greatest for welded magazines that may have a snag and it won't hang and flip on the snag but try to use the spring force to divert from the snag and keep functioning.  A non welded magazine is usually good with tilt or non-tilt followers if it is good at all.

-this is the equivalent of hand cycling your bolt group slowly and seeing how the round looks like shit once you have pulled back on the bolt and your round has its nose high in the air, or maybe it even popped out of the lips.  The gun in function does this so fast that on high speed video the front has only a slight upward movement before the round levels off immediately.  Try it, most mags make the rounds look iffy for chambering succesfully.  

This is a new product, the product you are comparing it to has a revM in the name implying many revisions were needed to get to where it is, look at the reviews in the past on its older revisions that needed fixing....Give new things time.

I think you did good, I am sure you will have fun with both of your products.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The way that the baseplate attaches to the magazine is weak. The tabs will break. Not a fan.

That was the biggest factor for me right there. I also don't like the tab for pulling the mag out of your mag pouches because as I said to take apart the mag the first thing you need to do is push it in. If you happened to slam your rifle against something it can push that tab in.

I say troy needs to go back to the drawing board on this mag. It needs to be refined more imho.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think it's great that there are so many solid choices for shooters on the market now. Not every product is for everybody.

Exactly. No hard feelings it's just what I thought of them upon handling them. I don't like them but that's me YMMV.

I also was able to bend the tabs that secured the base plate to the mag well. I had to so that I could fit the tab in the slot between them so I could assemble the mag again.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

These look pretty good, and with Troy's reputation, they ought to be great.

However, I'll probably hold off on buying for 2 reasons.

1.) No cap! One of the biggest draws to the PMAG is that I can store my mags fully loaded with the cap on, knowing that there is no damage or warping occurring. Doesn't look like Troy has got a similar system.

<snip>

+1

I'd like a small number of mags to leave fully loaded for long periods of time. Pmags are the only system that provides a common sense, I don't have to have any faith in the material, solution to long term storage. Troy's sleek design + pmag thoughtfulness = total win.

Until then... Man, those are just plastic feed lips and Magpul products ship free these days.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#44]
It is amazing what free market capitalism is capable of...or "How wonderful September 14, 2004 really was."
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Just another Pmag wannabe.  I'll stick with Pmags.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Just ordered 2 from AIM.  I like my PMags, but the TROY mags look pretty good too––why not add a couple to the collection?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Ordered 2 from Aim on Friday, Troy mags looks good had to order some .
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Just ordered 2. That's worth it just to see how another wheel is built.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't seem to visualize how this thing works. For one thing, the words on the bottom pic are different. Is that a tab that you can replace with a flush cover, or is the pic just showing the top mag with tab extended, and bottom mag with it depressed into mag?  

And when the tab is pushed inward, it also unlocks so you can release mag floor plate? Does this mean you have to have this tab fully extended at all times in order to be sure that mag plate won't accidentally release?

personally I don't like that pull tab. I do like the mag design, but if I'm forced to have this stub sticking out all the time, it looks like it could snag on clothing, etc.

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Plus that picture shows two different tabs. One is square looking the other is more round. Hmmmm.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top