BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2010 9:19:07 PM EDT
ok so im trying to decide which i would rather have, so far all my mags are tangodown arc/l magazines and i love em but i would like to try something different so can anyone suggest either brand?
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolth are GTG, I would get a mix of bolth.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
PMAG over Lancer for sure
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The Lancer feels a bit cheaper, but fared better in the drop test done by Dave Fortier (iirc?).  The PMag is a bit cheaper in price.  Both work well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer Lancer mags and CP mags for one reason only, they work with calibers, such as the .458 SOCOM with certain bullets, that the P-Mag does not.  I like the P-mags and I cannot say anything negative about the mag when used for its intended purpose, but I have  calibers other than 5.56 and it is beneficial to me to have mags that work with calibers other than 5.56, so for my ARs I like the Lancer over the P-Mags.  If anyone could come up with the holy grail of AR mags that work with all calibers they would have indeed created a better mousetrap but that is not going to happen without a mag that morphs.
If for use only in 5.56, I agree, get both and see which you like better.  The Lancer allow you to see the rounds better than the P-mags (even the windowed 30 round mags) and has metal feed lips but I have not had any trouble out of the P-Mags even without the use of the cover and being kept fully loaded.  I cannot see any since in tying oneself down to only one brand of mag.  If people never tried new things then CP, Lancer, and P-mags would have been dismal flops and we all would still be using aluminum GI mags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The Lancer feels a bit cheaper, but fared better in the drop test done by Dave Fortier (iirc?).  The PMag is a bit cheaper in price.  Both work well.

Yeah, Fortier favored Lancers.

I like Lancers in all types, but I definitely think you diversify your investments.

Just get what you can whenever prices go under $10 (it happens for a lot of quality mags) and then stack deep on whatever you get.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know if Lancers fit slightly tighter mag wells? I have two lowers that Pmags of all versions don't drop free in, GI drop free though. Wondering if Lancers might be more likely to drop free.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know if Lancers fit slightly tighter mag wells? I have two lowers that Pmags of all versions don't drop free in, GI drop free though. Wondering if Lancers might be more likely to drop free.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you'd be best to find a friend and try them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like both mags, but slightly prefer the Lancers, and one of those reasons is I have a couple of receivers that have given me minor fit issues with some lots of PMags, and the Lancers fit those magwells without issue.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

pmags will not drop free from my lower without some fitting.  lancer mags do.

that said, i still prefer gi mags.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I will try a Lancer. Also impatiently waiting for the Troy Battle Mag.
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both.  my go to mags are pmags

eta spelling correction
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Dave Fortier did a great article on AR mags recently.  I am sure you could find it somewhere on the web.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#16]
No matter which mag you go with, you will want to try the other kind as well. Just get a few of each. You can never have too many magazines.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No offense to David F, he and I have talked on this topic.  

The testing he did was very, very crude and and more misleading than any other printed test we've seen.  

I only mention this as the info in the article should not be considered ligit, real world testing.  Magpul uses our best and brightest to test with state of the art equiptment.  FWIW

Buy with PMAG's confidence.

Of course it was misleading, yours didn't win.  You drove a truck over yours, he drove a bigger truck over all of them.  How was he misleading?  Was your pickup truck more "state of the art" than his deuce and a half??
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The testing he did was very, very crude and and more misleading than any other printed test we've seen.  

I only mention this as the info in the article should not be considered ligit, real world testing.  Magpul uses our best and brightest to test with state of the art equiptment.  FWIW

Of course it was misleading, yours didn't win.  You drove a truck over yours, he drove a bigger truck over all of them.  How was he misleading?  Was your pickup truck more "state of the art" than his deuce and a half??

where can i find this review of the mags ive tried googling them but not sure exactly what to look for
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

where can i find this review of the mags ive tried googling them but not sure exactly what to look for
It was in an issue of Shotgun News.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was in an issue of Shotgun News.

thanks with alot of searching i found it without pics but the reading was enough to see the lancer and msars held up the best
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't had a chance to play with the Lancer 5A mags, I like fact that I can view the rounds quickly, with that said, I would be tempted with some clear Pmags.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Like has been suggested, if you have both 5.56 and one of the big bores like 458 or Beowulf, go with the Lancers.  I now go strictly with the Lancers for my Beowulf even though I have two of the AA factory mags.  I just like the Lancers better.

But if you have just 5.56, then Pmags are the way to go.  But Lancers are good, too!
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link to the best and brightest comparative test?  Love to see it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Lancers look tight but I use usgi. I don't run over my mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I like both.  I've got a lot of non-windowed pmags and more recently a bunch of Lancer L5's.

I was going to upgrade to some windowed pmags, but once I compared the totally translucent L5's to the tiny windowed PMAGs, I went with the L5's.  

As of now I'll stick to Lancers unless PMAGs become significantly cheaper, I catch a deal, etc.

Right now the L5A's are a bit pricey, but I think they're a better deal overall than the windowed PMAGs.  Recently I've been able to score the old L5's on the cheap which is awesome.  

Other considerations - do you like the covers?  do you prefer steel feed lips?  
I still can't make up my mind on the covers.  I like them, they keep things tidy, but really I want to have mags ready to go, and I know I'll lose them (already lost a couple on some non-rev-m mags).  The steel feed lips on the lancers are comforting, but they're awful sharp compared to the polymer perfection :D
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 4:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Both mags work well. But the lancers have the steel feed lips which hold up much better in drop tests especially in cold weather.  I was down at ft benning this past weekend and saw two pmags split down the back when they were dropped.   Magpul will stand behind them and send you new ones ( great customer service) but no problems at all with the lancers.  I would go lancer.  Even though they may cost a couple dollars more.  With all the money invested in guns and optics a few bucks is nothing in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#29]
A size 14 boot can dent a USGI mag and make it junk.  I have yet to step on a P-Mag or Lancer.  I've gotten better with my feet.

Get Both.  I like the Steel feed lips on the lancers. I like how easy a p mag breaks down for removing mud.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A size 14 boot can dent a USGI mag and make it junk.

Good thing i wear a size 9.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#32]
PMAG for the win!  Best magazine available, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I have and like both.  I prefer PMAGs, but I have no issues with Lancers, but I am hardly hell on my equipment.  I'll be ordering more of both.  

I would say try both, see what you like.  Realize that there are people here who are against anything that is Magpul for whatever reason.  Make your own decision.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Like has been suggested, if you have both 5.56 and one of the big bores like 458 or Beowulf, go with the Lancers.  I now go strictly with the Lancers for my Beowulf even though I have two of the AA factory mags.  I just like the Lancers better.

But if you have just 5.56, then Pmags are the way to go.  But Lancers are good, too!

I'd like to point out I've fed 50. cal beowulf reliably from some of my pmags.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#35]
PMAG.

PMAGS are the currency of the future.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Both are Site Industry Partners

so my answer is Both

clearly the correct answer

just watch for deals and get more of each as the deals pop up
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Something else to consider...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=281&t=197969

I am definitely interested in these...
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

as am I and I'm sure LaRue556 is drooling...
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Both are good mags and I have several of each but P mag gets my vote if I had to pick one.

P mag pros.
1. Easily loaded with 30 rounds and easy to reload on bolt forward gun with full mag.
2. You can get P mag couplers from Springer Precision that couple P mags together at the base and the mags don't slip. Nothing like that for the Lancer.
3. You can get a P mag extension from Noric that gives you 48 rounds. You have to buy a complete mag from Lancer to get the same thing.

Pat
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I recently gave one of my friends(LEO) a few of my pmags for his work rifle. He came into a situation where he had to draw his M4 and the Pmags wouldnt grab the catch and the mag kept falling out, so he drew his pistol. I felt bad and asked him for the mags back and gave him some of my other mags and he said they work great. Not taking anything away from magpul, ill still buy them, but they wont be for my SHTF gun. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I recently gave one of my friends(LEO) a few of my pmags for his work rifle. He came into a situation where he had to draw his M4 and the Pmags wouldnt grab the catch and the mag kept falling out, so he drew his pistol. I felt bad and asked him for the mags back and gave him some of my other mags and he said they work great. Not taking anything away from magpul, ill still buy them, but they wont be for my SHTF gun. YMMV

Two lessons here.
1. Always test your gear before using it for real. As a cop I never use new gear without testing it my life could depend on it.
2. Sounds like he overloaded the mag and put 31 rounds in it so he could not get it to fit in the mag well. An operator issue not a mag issue. P mags are my patrol rifle mags and I have them issued to all of our officers. No issues. I do instruct the guys to download them by 2 rounds just like I did with the previous GI mags and like you have to do with Lancer mags. P mags don't need it as much but it keeps guys from not paying attention and forcing more rounds in the mag than they are designed to hold.

One more thing if your friend were one of my officers I would have chewed his ass and given him a little time off without pay to think about it, for using gear that he had not tested. That can get you killed.
Pat
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The Lancer feels a bit cheaper, but fared better in the drop test done by Dave Fortier (iirc?).
This..

I would get the Lancer first and it did do better than the PMAG.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like has been suggested, if you have both 5.56 and one of the big bores like 458 or Beowulf, go with the Lancers. I now go strictly with the Lancers for my Beowulf even though I have two of the AA factory mags. I just like the Lancers better.

But if you have just 5.56, then Pmags are the way to go. But Lancers are good, too!

Question:  How do you keep the hp's from snagging on that little divider thingy?

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like has been suggested, if you have both 5.56 and one of the big bores like 458 or Beowulf, go with the Lancers. I now go strictly with the Lancers for my Beowulf even though I have two of the AA factory mags. I just like the Lancers better.

But if you have just 5.56, then Pmags are the way to go. But Lancers are good, too!

Question:  How do you keep the hp's from snagging on that little divider thingy?

I didn't do anything, they never snagged so I never did anything to prevent a problem that didn't happen.  I guess it could happen though just didn't have it happen to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I have used both consistently, both are really good, but for some reason I still like the "perceived" hardness of HK steel mags. So I have not totally made up my mind about these polymer mags. They're good, but I just dont' know how long they're good for. If you have to get polymer mags, and you want round count, go with Lancer. If you dont' care for round count, go with Pmag without window. Pmag feels slightly more rigid than Lancer. I wish Lancer would beef up their sidewall just a bit to make it flex less. That said, Lancer works flawlessly. By the way, the Pmag with window is caught in between so there's no need to get them..
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Get both. I have and like both.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#47]
It is my opinion that PMAGS are more rigid and durable than Lancers. Furthermore, I think that the PMAG follower design is far superior to Lancer's.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two lessons here.
1. Always test your gear before using it for real. As a cop I never use new gear without testing it my life could depend on it.
2. Sounds like he overloaded the mag and put 31 rounds in it so he could not get it to fit in the mag well. An operator issue not a mag issue. P mags are my patrol rifle mags and I have them issued to all of our officers. No issues. I do instruct the guys to download them by 2 rounds just like I did with the previous GI mags and like you have to do with Lancer mags. P mags don't need it as much but it keeps guys from not paying attention and forcing more rounds in the mag than they are designed to hold.

One more thing if your friend were one of my officers I would have chewed his ass and given him a little time off without pay to think about it, for using gear that he had not tested. That can get you killed.
Pat

I agree with the 1st one, but the second oneis not true as i had loaded the mag for him. (29 to be exact). Ill talk to him and see if i can get his armorer to test the mag i got.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

wow im drooling as well those are nice, cant wait to see those

also i got my friend to give me a few of his pmags to try out, as i have purchased a lancer, and i prefer the lancers imo but my question now is are the steel feed lips bad for the bolt carrier
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top