AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 2/16/2010 11:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass]
SUMMARY:

(My pics will be back up soon.)

Edit: 5-13-16.  Only pic I could find:

The dark orange was FDE dip in an entire solution of Rit Orange powder.  In real life it is almost burgundy, Yep, too much.

The more golden/brown/orange-y mags are also FDE but with a more measured application of orange lol.

Then two FDE mags for comparison. (the last two are foliage green.  terrible for color dyeing )

As of 2016 Magpul's "SAND" color is nearly white in reality.  Easier to get the color you want.

IMG_20160513_231453 by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

<Link Removed....................dpmmn>

Ingredients:

Rit Dye (Walmart bleach section [not crafts section], shoe shine area from my local Winn Dixie grocery store are the places I've found Rit Dye.)
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
I may have missed it in here but here could point a guy in the general direction of color combos:

Rit Dye Color Chart
View Quote

FDE PMAG

Lessons learned:

Both amount of dye and amount of time factor into the color change so try to do everything at the same time.
I did one PMAG first and then the other the next day and was really, really, really close in a color match. I ended up leaving it in the solution about 30 seconds longer than I should have.
If you end up doing more later on, dip in increments until you get the match.

Bring water to a near boil instead of an actual boil.
My first PMAG tests were in boiling water and while there doesn't appear to be any actual function issues I figured it would be best not to push it lol.

FDE is the best host color to get the color you're looking for. Yellow rit dye on foliage green simply resulted in a darker, puke green.

Add dye to the water until you are just slightly darker than the color you're after.
The brick red PMAG is a result of adding the whole sunshine orange packet to 6 cups of water lol. The lighter, more orange PMAG was the second attempt using that little tip.

Use stainless steel pots and tongs for easy cleanup.

To be investigated:

Rit Dye is available in white. I'll be trying this out on FDE to lighten it up and then follow with orange/whatever to see what happens. Never found it.

Some pics showing the penetration of the dye:

It is just penetrating into the material. Just to clarify some heat is needed to help penetration.

======================================
ROUND 3

Looks like FDE is the best host color and Orange is better than Yellow for getting closest to orange.

There is a White Rit Dye but they didn't have any in stock. Here is a sample from Walmart. They're not in the crafts section (there is a different dye there but the employee said the Rit is superior) but in the bleach section.

I bought several colors this time for other stuff.

One day I'll try white and then follow up with orange/whatever

======================================
ROUND 2:

I got away from boiling and dipping. I got the water to almost boil and then took it off the stove. Just in case (ref: the plastic).

Just hot/hot water and let it sit for about 5-7 min. Again just in case lol.

This time I added powder until it became like orange bug juice.

Not enough in the result.

So a little more until it was closer to red bug juice.

Result:

Camera color balanced off an 18% gray card.

Conclusion:

I have another FDE PMAG and two FG PMAGs. Yellow RIT Dye tomorrow

===================================

ROUND 1:

This was khaki with Sunshine Orange. So next time I'll do Yellow on Foliage PMAG

Boil water in SS pot, mix in one packet (or less), drop in parts for 5 min or less, while stirring with stainless tongs (ideally). The stainless cleans up easiest.

Remove and rinse under cold water for a bit.

Intersting factoid, reference: delrin.  Not a material I've seen used in polymer parts.  Just interesting

dupont pdf http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/pdflit/americas/delrin/230323c.pdf

Dyeing
Surfaces of Delrin acetal resin can be dyed by either the “Water Solvent Method” or the “Organic Solvent Method.” Part geometry must be taken into
account when dyeing Delrin acetal resin because part thickness influences the rate at which staining occurs. Thin sections stain more rapidly than thick.
Consequently, variations in section thickness will determine the immersion time required for color uniformity and tone. Light uniform tones may be
difficult to achieve.

Commercial household dyes such as “Tintex”1 and “Rit”2 have also been used successfully to dye parts of Delrin acetal resin for color coding. Bath
temperatures of 85–90°C (185–195°F) should be employed with “Tintex” and “Rit” to obtain adequate dye penetration and good color.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmmmm where are you guys getting digital camo pmags and furniture????????
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kevenater:

They are making them, with the rite dye. Its the whole point of the thread...
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I can see iPhone covers in camo now...
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SheaD:

lol

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ALLANJ:
Originally Posted By SheaD:

lol

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FJSI89AtK0M/S2oigKAx4yI/AAAAAAAAGwo/ueOlJxnANNw/s400/rit+dye+close+up+101+snappy+fashions.jpg

Is that an lol to my spelling of Rit Dye or his comment?
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chris65] [#7]
Originally Posted By nturavrgcop:
Any pics of this?  It would go great with my little girl's AR package I've been putting together for her...

Originally Posted By chris65:
Taggage...

And a formula for pink:
2.2 parts Red
1.6 parts Green
1.7 parts Blue
2.5 parts Orange

Could use trimmed 45ACP casings as measuring cups:
2.2 parts Red    (45 case 2.2/2.5 = .88% or 0.790" long)
1.6 parts Green  (45 case 1.6/2/5 = .64% or 0.575" long
1.7 parts Blue   (45 case 1.7/2.5 = .68% or 0.611" long)
2.5 parts Orange (45 case uncut at 0.898" long)

No pics.  I just saw a couple threads asking about pink, imported a LaRue pink handguard rail cover picture into a photoeditor so I could see the color makeup.  Then did the math for the measuring cups.  I think someone tried pink Rit dye and it didn't work, but maybe it needs a different mix.  You'll have to try - I don't have any daughters.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_sporter] [#8]
I played with some Rit Dye the other day...this is beyond easy. I'll have to mess around some more later..

ETA: I just did the covers and AFG. The mag I purchased with the Multicam already applied. That being said, I'm gonna have to give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Found my way back to this thread and thought I would update it with some new pictures

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:29:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EmTea] [#10]
Saw this article on MAKE today. Thought this might be a good way to dye PMAGs.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stain-PVC-Any-Color-You-Like/296/1
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By EmTea:
Saw this article on MAKE today. Thought this might be a good way to dye PMAGs.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stain-PVC-Any-Color-You-Like/296/1

That's heavy duty. You could dye the s**t outta something with that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]

that MSAR came out really good
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MTguns:
Originally Posted By Requiem:
Originally Posted By MTguns:
Tutorial is here

can you bump it so it gets out of the archives?

You could buy a membership, support this site

I have found several tricks to help with making the camo patterns.

1. plan out what you want. I often will draw the camo patten with colored pencils and paper first, listing what order I will do the dye steps.

2. I use electrical tape to mask with. I have found my best results are with Scotch brand professional '33' electrical tape. I have found in in black, blue, green, red, yellow, orange, clear, and white. (clear really didn't work for me)

3. Have a smooth cutting surface to cut the tape on. I use a srap piece of plexi glass. That allows me to place a sheet of graph paper behind it to use a reference lines.

4. Knives- new exacto blades are good. I even found a crafting swivel head razor knife at Michael's.

5. for the digital patterns I used graph paper (five squares per inch) to make templates. Then transfered them to cardstock. rotating my templates and flipping them over gave me many options for shapes.

6. When making masks that use more than one width of tape make sure to tape the seams of the two peices to avoid bleed through.

7. For lifting/positioning tools I have retired dental tools. (just visit you dentist and ask) They work good for ensuring the tape sticks in the inside corners.

8. When putting the electrical tape on your part ensure the tape is not pulled tight at all. The heat will cause it to shrink (relax) and it will cause all types of problems.

9. I preheat the oven at 170.  Place the taped parts in the oven before they go into the dye.  the part will be warm and the tape will be supple.  Do a final press of the tape onto your part before you dip.  This works really well for textured areas.

I have series of pictures for my digital that I can explain.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/13.jpg
Water temp was maintained from 170-190 degrees
ratio of dye to water was 1/4 teaspoon per 4 cups

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/03.jpg
example of my masking stage. This was my first attempt at the digital pattern. You can see the squares are larger on the magazine vs the MOE stuff. That is the difference in using quad rulled (4 squares per inch) paper and the smaller 5 squares per in paper to make your stencils with.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-43.jpg
Starting with a FDE plastic the blue tape covers up what will stay FDE. This will get dipped into brown rit. The 511 vest is used as a color match. I kept it close by to check my colors

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-45.jpg

Next came green tape. The Blue tape remains still protecting the original FDE. green tape will now save the brown-er color.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-46.jpg
next is white tape keeping the previous blue and green in place. After the white is applied this will be the final dye for this set.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/VinniesBushmasterproject-48.jpg
After each time I would rinse the part with clean water and towel dry, followed by blow drying. Any pieces of tape that let water in (normally at inside corners) I would use a paper towel and press out the water.

This is a great poor mans project. You can get awesome results with very little money.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/AKsnowHare/DSCN1336-1.jpg

Anyway the top pictures of this post could be brought back to life?
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I noticed Travis's AR in the "Featured Video" had a nice multicam on it. First thing I thought was "did this thread cause him to dye that bad boy?"
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Loe_307:
I noticed Travis's AR in the "Featured Video" had a nice multicam on it. First thing I thought was "did this thread cause him to dye that bad boy?"

I believe someone mentioned (in another thread a while back) that the pattern was an applique (a dip)
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]
What color do you guys think will work best to Go from FDE to DD Riis II Brown?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#17]
You will need to play with it to get the exact shade you want.  But I think putting FDE plastic in a cocoa brown for a very short time will get you there.  Play with the caps on the P-mags to get the color you want.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ihon:
You will need to play with it to get the exact shade you want.  But I think putting FDE plastic in a cocoa brown for a very short time will get you there.  Play with the caps on the P-mags to get the color you want.

What about my FDE Aimpoint rubber cover.  Can I dye that?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:04:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JRX35] [#19]
ETA FOR Before and After Pics
Originally Posted By purevl2:

I found success in RIT pearl gray - it came by accident actually.  The pearl gray turns Magpul polymer into brownish. Actually so did my FDE Tangodown grip.

I have a DD Mk18 rail and it matches well.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

(Hard to see but the PMag below is in its original black and I replaced the new ladder rails are black)

On the other hand, my DD FDE rail polymer turned gray when I used the same pearl gray - go figure.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#20]
Originally Posted By JRX35:

I found success in RIT pearl gray - it came by accident actually.  The pearl gray turns Magpul polymer into brownish. Actually so did my FDE Tangodown grip.  

On the other hand, my DD FDE rail polymer turned gray when I used the same pearl gray - go figure.

I'm going to try this.  I tried Cocoa Brown for a long time and a short time and neither looked close.  Almost too much red and the rail looks like it has some green.  

I don't understand your last sentence, though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#21]
You may also try using tan.  It is more brown/beige than brown/red like Cocoa Brown.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JRX35] [#22]

I'm going to try this.  I tried Cocoa Brown for a long time and a short time and neither looked close.  Almost too much red and the rail looks like it has some green.  
My DD FDE ladder rails that came with my MK18 rail turned gray when I used the same RIT pearl gray dye.   Sorry that I wasn't more clear.
ETA for more closeup shots of furniture

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#23]

My DD FDE ladder rails that came with my MK18 rail turned gray when I used the same RIT pearl gray dye.   Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

ETA for more closeup shots of furniture

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/jrx35/2011-08-09_16-40-24_740.jpg http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/jrx35/2011-08-09_16-39-31_415.jpg http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/jrx35/2011-08-09_16-39-39_52.jpg

How hell yeah!!!!!  
How long did you have to keep it in the mixture and did you use pure pearl gray?  You started on Tan, right?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I did not use the entire packet of RIT Pearl Gray.

All the stuff on my SBR were Magpul FDE to start. Very happy that it did a great match to the DD Mk 18 rail.

I kept it in to make sure the color was ok and the darkest possible. I did the grip and stock together. The AFG was done maybe two months later. Magpul polymers seem to be very consistent in soaking up the dye.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody tried dying Magpul FDE to match the LMT SOPMOD's DE color? Details please. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
All of the dye jobs look sick.  Might want to try it sometime; but not now because if I screw up I will be very sad, and not to mention out of a bunch of cash.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By B62stew:
All of the dye jobs look sick.  Might want to try it sometime; but not now because if I screw up I will be very sad, and not to mention out of a bunch of cash.

That's why you experiment with xtm rail covers first
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad I stumbled into this thread. NOW I got another BRD addiction to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#29]
couple questions:
#1: why is this thread not tacked yet?

#2: Is Foliage green a good color to start off with or should you just stay with FDE?

oh, and #3: Could we get those how to pictures brought back to life? I would love to see the step by step
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#30]
heres a question for the pros in here, would gray work out better than fde (in terms of brighter/more color options)?
second pic from sp3worker's ad (I hope he doesnt mind me using his photo as the example but i cant find any other pic)
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/900684_WTS__Misc__AR_Parts_Furniture.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 8:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abj69jp3] [#32]
How do you get a True Red. Every time it comes out a burgandy, I'm running out of fde dust caps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Longer time in the dye???
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I dont think you will be able to get a true red starting with anything avail now,if they ever offer a white(or red but that kind of defeats the whole point) pmag we would be set
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#35]
My reds came from a mix of Scarlet and Pink.  I am not near my supplies right now (4,000+ miles) so I don't have the exacts.  But it was a mixture of the two.   Pink was primary with the scarlet added to darken it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxyNariz] [#36]
Read thru all 12 pages, and saw a few that tried the orange...anyone try for/ or end up with a burnt orange (Texas Longhorn) color, and remember the formula, I saw some of the orange bug juice ones, but it's hard to tell in the pics. I'ld love to do some UT mags...maybe the logo on the side????

THOUGHTS / SUGGESTIONS?!?!?!?!

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Those are AWESOME
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChuckD05] [#39]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:

Those are AWESOME

Thanks Ducky.

ETA: Both started as FDE Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Round 2 for me.

Ordered some new FDE mags, rail clips to experiment on, and some good tape.

The OD camo mag came out alot better. Used tan mixed with a little brown on the OD window mag.

The blue mag was straight royal Blue, and the purple mag was purple with a pinch of fuchcia.

Was trying for a pink mag for my wife, but she will have to settle for the purple. The pink just doesn't work. Atleast it matches her purple Larue armadillo.

To bad we can't get some white Pmags.

http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/pmags_003.jpg

http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/pmags_005.jpg
I know this is a bit old, but is there any way you still have the clip 3rd from the top (the top one of the second set down)?  From the pic it looks to be a fairly bright maroon color and for my 'project wife' gun, I think it would be perfect!  Lemme know...

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By B62stew:

I think that if you mess up 'that bad' you could always dye the mag black, yeah, it isn't special anymore, but at-least it isn't ugly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Anyone try OD green, and try dying it to Tan/FDE???

Opinons, on how that might work???
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#44]
As stated above.  You can make tan into a darker green, but not the other way around.  You can brown up foilage green, but I am not sure how that will come out.  Foilage green & FDE is the best starting points unless you want a really dark camo.  If you want dark, you can do od green then add browns & blacks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By hunt_ak:

Round 2 for me.
Ordered some new FDE mags, rail clips to experiment on, and some good tape.
The OD camo mag came out alot better. Used tan mixed with a little brown on the OD window mag.
The blue mag was straight royal Blue, and the purple mag was purple with a pinch of fuchcia.
Was trying for a pink mag for my wife, but she will have to settle for the purple. The pink just doesn't work. Atleast it matches her purple Larue armadillo.
To bad we can't get some white Pmags.

http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/pmags_003.jpg

http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/pmags_005.jpg
I know this is a bit old, but is there any way you still have the clip 3rd from the top (the top one of the second set down)?  From the pic it looks to be a fairly bright maroon color and for my 'project wife' gun, I think it would be perfect!  Lemme know...

I think that was just liquid scarlet. Best red I could get with the FDE.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#47]
danpass,

In your original post, you showed that photo fo the RIT DYE shelf at Wal-mart. It had one place for "White WA..."

My Walmart had the same empty slot today.

Looking at RIT DYE's site, that item is this, http://www.ritdye.com/store/laundry-first-aid/white-wash-group

It doesn't SEEM to be a color, may be more like a "bleach" type of item.

It is in this group of products, http://www.ritdye.com/store/laundry-first-aid

Not sure if any of these would work, but have to give it the old college try.

You can buy direct from RIT.

Originally Posted By danpass:

For those looking for light colors (such as pink) I'm guessing that even the light pink on FDE would be dark.  I'm casually keeping an eye out for Rit Dye white.

I would eventually try that and follow up with the lighter colors on the same clipazine.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#48]
yep, pretty sure it is white wash
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone have any tips for removing.......hot glue......from a PMag?

Sometimes drunken ideas aren't the best.  

The first two layers went on perfect..... it was the third that pwned me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ChuckD05:
Anyone have any tips for removing.......hot glue......from a PMag?

Sometimes drunken ideas aren't the best.  

The first two layers went on perfect..... it was the third that pwned me.

I tried hot glue on a scrap piece of stock.  And it also kicked my arse.  The glue that I did get off didn't leave a dye pattern that I expected.  While I didn't try very hard to get all the glue off I would imagine that if you heated it back up you could remove it easier.  Try sticking the mag in the oven set on 170 or WARM for about ten minutes.  Don't worry about the mag being in the oven for that amount of time.  I have placed all of my parts in the oven while dyeing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top