Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2008 5:02:55 PM EDT
Came across this as Hawaii shares a HTF with Alaska...  dropped P-Mag at -15 degrees shattered.  Figured it might be of interest to the guys in less tropical areas.

Broken P-Mag

Happy new year!
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No chance of that happening here.

Link Posted: 12/31/2008 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations. You have turned something that functioned into something that does not function. Good job.

Pretty soon folks will be shooting the feed lips and sending them back because they didn't withstand the shot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you ever catch me out in -15 degree weather, shoot me and take my Pmags
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I just wonder how many morons just started jumping up and down saying that P mags are junk!!!

This doesn't shake my faith in their durability. It just means that someone found a better way to destroy a plastic mag.

Its not possible to drop a mag from a rifle directly onto its feed lips. That is the only cold drop I would worry about and it passes that test with flying colors.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#6]
On the one hand, this means little to me in southern Ohio where it got below zero once about 15 to 20 years ago.  But on the other hand, it does hurt the chances of this mag ever becoming USGI issue.  Their stuff needs to work in both the hottest and coldest places on earth.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a thought... If you have to drop a loaded magazine for an emergency reload, the worry about damaging the feedlips will probably not rank very high at the moment.
As for USGI mags... Feedlips tend to get bent if you are not careful as you drop your pack/jacket on a hard surface.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#8]
To really test plastic in the cold, the guy should have left his rifle out in the cold too, and then slammed the buttstock on the ground a few times, and then jump up and down on his handguards with the rifle on the concrete.  THEN I might have been a little impressed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To really test plastic in the cold, the guy should have left his rifle out in the cold too, and then slammed the buttstock on the ground a few times, and then jump up and down on his handguards with the rifle on the concrete.  THEN I might have been a little impressed.

I agree... at what point do the polymer parts on the rifle fail?
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Mustang, if it's -15 I'm f@#$*d anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn you people are touchy, he's talking about a hunk of plastic, not your wife.    I think somehow Magpul will pull thorugh, even without the cheerleading.  Don't loose perspective, this is the internet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the one hand, this means little to me in southern Ohio where it got below zero once about 15 to 20 years ago.  But on the other hand, it does hurt the chances of this mag ever becoming USGI issue.  Their stuff needs to work in both the hottest and coldest places on earth.

We have been tweaking the PMag composite and manufacturing for sometime and current versions in testing can now survive -40 degrees fully loaded on feedlips.

which dates????
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have been tweaking the PMag composite and manufacturing for sometime and current versions in testing can now survive -40 degrees fully loaded on feedlips.

If I'm ever out in -40 degree weather you can just go ahead and take my carbine, mags, and anal virginity.

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont worry , global warmer will fix that
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]
-15 is not THAT cold.  Happens several times every winter at least around these parts. -40...... not so often, but it happens.  I am going to toss some Pmags around outside the next time it gets that cold (-10 or colder) and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I really don't want to ever experience -10 weather, much less any colder.

Anything below freezing and I'm not likely to be outside anyway.

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I am in North MN.
-15 below is common here in winter.
My truck does not work in that temp. Nothing works right.
So more things to worry about then my mags.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
You'er right.  I took an ice fishing trip one time at -30 F.  The snow wasn't even right.  Things happen below zero.  Going there again next week but it's supposed to be + 30.  I don't have a P mag but I'll try to abuse a Thermold I have on hand.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
In before a bunch of idiots claim that their P mags are faulty because of this issue.

I think I will just try to remember not to drop my Pmags when its -15 degrees. I have absolutely no doubt that they will function just fine at that temperature.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]
That fact that Magpul is replacing the mags that people are purposely destroying should say enough about the company.  The fact that they are then reverse engineering and improving the "weak" areas should say enough about the product.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Impressed that magpul did this!
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys down south have to head north and enjoy the cold.  I call coyotes a lot and pop them with the AR when it is below zero.  I also worked my cutting horses three hours New Years Eve at night , it was 18 degrees, you just have to get used to it.
If I catch you out in the cold, I might take the carbine, leave the rest alone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Impressed that magpul did this!

Very.  I think i'll plus up my backorder.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok I posted some high speed video we did on cold weather testing about a two weeks ago. This PMag was taken down to below -40 F and dropped from 5 feet, fully loaded onto concrete, feedlips down.

The video is marked -30 because that is the temperature the mag was at the time of the impact to due of the lights required by the high speed video.

PMag -30 F Drop Test Onto Concrete

which dates are the better ones????????????
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I posted some high speed video we did on cold weather testing about a two weeks ago. This PMag was taken down to below -40 F and dropped from 5 feet, fully loaded onto concrete, feedlips down.

The video is marked -30 because that is the temperature the mag was at the time of the impact to due of the lights required by the high speed video.

As I stated before we are always working on production methods to make PMags stronger so later date codes are always better. Color also has a small efffect with Black being the best.

Now that begs the question which are the worst? I don't have any black with me, just FDE/green.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I stated before we are always working on production methods to make PMags stronger so later date codes are always better. Color also has a small efffect with Black being the best.

Now that begs the question which are the worst? I don't have any black with me, just FDE/green.

So they are not tough enough now? Are you in the ME?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Anchor Armament drop tested them last year from 8 feet at -12 degrees along side the Lancer L5 mags and saw no issues with either. The mags were stored below -10 degrees for 8 hours or longer. The Pmag is a very durable mag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No I'm in AK, if certain colors handle the cold better then that's what I want. They are tough enough, but if certain colors are better than the others I will choose them. I'm sure no one was aware of this information until magpul released it.  

If your AO doesn't include sub zero temps for extended period of time then this thread is no use to you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#32]
All I wanted to get out of this was how well the mag does in the cold. So far I have found out they have made improvements but yet to know what dates these have occurred. I also found out that colors can make a difference with black being the best. but as to the rest????

I just want some actual data rather than magpul being so cryptic about everything. Its "been tested with the mil" does not work for me as has been demonstrated the mags do fail in certain circumstances. I would like to see the limits vs someone telling me its good enough. I'm in the mil and I'm tired from people saying that bullshit, thats how people get killed/hurt. Tell me that actual limits of the system/product and I will work within those-that's what I would like to know.

99% of the users on here can never read this thread and be just fine as the cold doesn't effect you.  There are others that would like to have the information because the cold is a part of our lives. For those of you that live in warmer areas and are dumping on the thread can move along.

ETA tried another one but it broke also-updtaed post
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I'm in AK, if certain colors handle the cold better then that's what I want. They are tough enough, but if certain colors are better than the others I will choose them. I'm sure no one was aware of this information until magpul released it.  

If your AO doesn't include sub zero temps for extended period of time then this thread is no use to you.

I live in Northeastern Ohio. We don't see extremely low temps unless Lake Erie freezes over. Then it gets damn cold! -5 to -10 in our area usually doesn't last more than a week or two at most. Still, I have no fear at all that a properly used mag, (ie, not dropped on its feed lips) will function flawlessly.

What I would hate to see is a bunch of yahoos returning their mags because they are dated before the so called "improved mags", even if there is no problem with the originals. We both know a idiot in Florida will complain about the older mag and send it back because its not as good in cold weather.

I see no reason for them to invite people to return mags that function just fine and are all 10 times tougher than a USGI.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What I would hate to see is a bunch of yahoos returning their mags because they are dated before the so called "improved mags", even if there is no problem with the originals. We both know a idiot in Florida will complain about the older mag and send it back because its not as good in cold weather.

I.

good point- maybe why they wont post many details

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I.

good point- maybe why they wont post many details

Maybe you will end up picking up some newer P-mags and sell your old ones for what you paid for them. I just keep buying more anyway!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens if you drop an aluminum mag onto concrete on its feed lips at that temp? At some point metal is influenced by temperature as well, but I assume -40 is above that threshold. Then again, the aluminum in magazines is rather thin.

Link Posted: 1/9/2009 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't worry about the durability of PMags. Reportedly they are the only magazines that Al Gore buys.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I'm ever out in -40 degree weather you can just go ahead and take my carbine, mags, and anal virginity.

If you won't go out into -40 degree weather, your man card goes too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
dropped P-Mag at -15 degrees shattered.  
Broken P-Mag

Happy new year!

So will Your Penis !!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

MOE handguard tease!

- BG
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I have 4 Pmags and many times more USGI mags. The one thing that I like about the Pmags is I know Magpul will stand behind anything they sell. I would get more Pmags, but I'm not freaking out for them. I'll wait until production catches up and they become readily available again.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top