Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2002 12:40:49 PM EDT

A magazine I picked up at a gunshow today.
New condition in oiled paper wrap, exactly like a USGI mag but all steel, dark blue follower and no markings whatsoever except for the sticker "ENGLAND". The finish appears to be parkrized.
The dealer had about 20 in the same condition. The price was reasonable.
Any background or comments on these mags?
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Troy, etc... Do you think that extensive use of steel mags in an aluminum lower will cause premature & / or excessive wear in the magazine well???

not unless you have a habit of jamming your mags into the outside of the mag well  sliding up and down won't cause undue wear.

as far as aluminum wear steel.  shouldn't you be more concerned about the steel bolt carrier going back and forth in an aluminum upper receiver?  it does this 20 to 30 times more often than you change mags.

has anybody tried Teflon coating these yet?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I plan on having a batch refinished in bear coat. Since they are steel and prone to rust I experimented with 3 of the grey phosphate mags and refinished them inside and out with Rust-Oleum Specialty (1200F) high heat enamel. They came out great with a semi gloss finish. Now I don't have to worry about them rusting at all and want to test them out in my friends M-16 for the heat resitance on the enamel. They also look like my FNC factory mags make good range mags so I can keep my factory mags in pristine shape. If anyone tries this do not over spray them because 1 of the 3 refinished mags doesn't seat in my FNC but they all seat and funtion flawlessly in all of my AR's. If all goes well with the M16 test I'll probably do a few more since I have a bunch of 'em 15 bucks for  for a NIW England mil spec steel mag is too sweet a deal to pass up and professional refinishing costs between 6-10 bucks and gives you a better than new mag. Since NIW USGI mags are drying up fast and all of them have bad to very bad handling marks, paying 21-25 bucks for a NIW profesionally teflon refinshed mag is a sweet deal compared to the NIW USGI's ($25-30) and refinished Colt($30-40)/USGI($20-28) mags out there. Plus you never know what type of condition those mags are in before they were refinished.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to chime in here, my friend runs my local gun store. He got in quite a few of these a couple month ago. We were using them in our local carbine club monthly shoot, and he started having lost fo jams right off the bat. He was using his Armalite AR. The top of the feed lips were rubbing on the bottom of the bolt/bolt carrier. He went through the entire box and tried every mag, cycling the bolt by hand. Was pretty easy to feel the bolt dragging and you could see where the finish was rubbed off on the top of the feed lips. There were some that were ok, but many out of the batch wouldnt work. Just FYI. Make sure you function check them before staking anything on them.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top