Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 2:33:34 PM EDT

I am not really in on all the hype about the proposed M855 ban, and I only bought a couple cans just to try at some point just in case it becomes extinct. The only other similar ammo I purchased was a case of the Mk318 Mod 0, and with the same intentions. I am sure I overpaid at $449 for a case of 500, but again, how will I ever know how I like(d) it if I don't pull back out the credit card(ugh). Please tell me if I made a bad decision. I only got into ARs because I thought they were going away, and I did the same about the MK318. I love the 3 ARs I now own, and I am looking for opinions on the newly purchased MK318. Will I be disappointed? I have read that it's much more accurate than the green tips, and I don't like to shoot just to hear a loud noise.  I DO NOT buy ammo of any kind to sell, so please don't refer to me as a "neckbeard". I just love shooting, and I have an excellent place outdoors to do so.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I am not really in on all the hype about the proposed M855 ban, and I only bought a couple cans just to try at some point just in case it becomes extinct. The only other similar ammo I purchased was a case of the Mk18 Mod 0, and with the same intentions. I am sure I overpaid at $449 for a case of 500, but again, how will I ever know how I like(d) it if I don't pull back out the credit card(ugh). Please tell me if I made a bad decision. I only got into ARs because I thought they were going away, and I did the same about the MK18. I love the 3 ARs I now own, and I am looking for opinions on the newly purchased MK18. Will I be disappointed? I have read that it's much more accurate than the green tips, and I don't like to shoot just to hear a loud noise.  I DO NOT buy ammo of any kind to sell, so please don't refer to me as a "neckbeard". I just love shooting, and I have an excellent place outdoors to do so.
View Quote

I believe from your title you mean MK318 Mod 0.

MK318 is designed for a totally different purpose than M855 and has a different projectile.

MK318 comes in some different flavors.
a) Federal brown box
b) Federal white box
and
c) ammo I believe is constructed from pulled down components by third parties.
(Usually a white box labelled: 62grain OTMRP  - Made in the USA to the same specifications as MK318 Mod 0)

Each version performs differently.

Here is a link to Molon's range report comparing the Federal offerings.
MK318 Mod 0 ballistic gelatin results

Generally, it's pretty good stuff as barrier blind rounds go.
I do not believe the .mil is buying it anymore.
No telling if you will be disappointed until you shoot it.

As for what you paid for it,
some people here will think you overpaid, some will ask you where you got it.

ETA: asking people here if you made a bad decision........
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I am not really in on all the hype about the proposed M855 ban, and I only bought a couple cans just to try at some point just in case it becomes extinct. The only other similar ammo I purchased was a case of the Mk18 Mod 0, and with the same intentions. I am sure I overpaid at $449 for a case of 500, but again, how will I ever know how I like(d) it if I don't pull back out the credit card(ugh). Please tell me if I made a bad decision. I only got into ARs because I thought they were going away, and I did the same about the MK18. I love the 3 ARs I now own, and I am looking for opinions on the newly purchased MK18. Will I be disappointed? I have read that it's much more accurate than the green tips, and I don't like to shoot just to hear a loud noise.  I DO NOT buy ammo of any kind to sell, so please don't refer to me as a "neckbeard". I just love shooting, and I have an excellent place outdoors to do so.

View Quote

m855 is cheap ball ammo, it just happens to have a metal tip/cone and the ATF wants to ban it, but that doesnt mean its the best ammo out there.

mk318 is good ammo, its what my rifle is loaded with. its not AP but its known as barrier blind which mean it has far superior penetration capabilities than a normal FMJ ball round. At $449 for 500 rds you did not over pay. it is expensive ammo to make and is extremely hard to find, the only place that has had it for sale in the last yeas was http://usarmorment.com and they just recently sold out, i bought all of mine off BG for $1 a round back when no dealrs had any in stock and even then the lowest it ever sold for was around $0.75 a round and that was many years ago when it was first released back way before any gun ban scared. i was actually going to buy more but already have a case, its expensive and figured buying up bulk m855 at $0.35 a round was a better bet. At that price i will either shoot it as cheap ammo or it gets banned and i get to go all neckbeard and sell it for several dollars a round to people who THINK its armor piercing because its on some ATF list of banned rounds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Thank you for the reply. You are totally correct, I was talking about MK318 Mod 0. I obviously had a brain fart, but not as loud as usual. I OWN and will be shooting the rounds in a DD MK18, and I will try and correct the post.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you for the reply. You are totally correct, I was talking about MK318 Mod 0. I obviously had a brain fart, but not as loud as usual. I OWN and will be shooting the rounds in a DD MK18, and I will try and correct the post.

View Quote

The mk18 is a great SBR, and is what i use as well. Mk318 shooter well out of it because the ammo was designed for short barreled rifles, compared to m193 and m855 which are designed for 20" barreled rifles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Good ammo.  I would like some.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

m855 is cheap ball ammo, it just happens to have a metal tip/cone and the ATF wants to ban it, but that doesnt mean its the best ammo out there.

mk318 is good ammo, its what my rifle is loaded with. its not AP but its known as barrier blind which mean it has far superior penetration capabilities than a normal FMJ ball round. At $449 for 500 rds you did not over pay. it is expensive ammo to make and is extremely hard to find, the only place that has had it for sale in the last yeas was http://usarmorment.com and they just recently sold out, i bought all of mine off BG for $1 a round back when no dealrs had any in stock and even then the lowest it ever sold for was around $0.75 a round and that was many years ago when it was first released back way before any gun ban scared. i was actually going to buy more but already have a case, its expensive and figured buying up bulk m855 at $0.35 a round was a better bet. At that price i will either shoot it as cheap ammo or it gets banned and i get to go all neckbeard and sell it for several dollars a round to people who THINK its armor piercing because its on some ATF list of banned rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, and that was where I bought it. I have not checked in the last couple hours to see if it's OOS now, but at least I know now I got it for a somewhat reasonable price. I bought what little M855 I have for $0.39 per/round, and even at that price I wasn't feeling like a lotto winner. I'd like to run Black Hills 77otm all the time, but it's a little too rich for me.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good ammo.  I would like some.
View Quote

In stock, but "VERY LIMITED QUANTITY", and a maximum of 2 cases.

Right Here
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm all spent up on M855 right now.  I might get some next year.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm all spent up on M855 right now.  I might get some next year.
View Quote

OOS now anyway. Man, that didn't take long!

Unfortunately, US Armament just discontinued the MK318 Mod . I have emailed them to see if it's just temporary, but so far no response. Glad I bought when I did, and I will try to remember to add any update.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Just emailed them and they said as soon as Federal fills their order it will be back in stock. FYI they responded in 10 MINUTES!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#11]
M855 is green tip. It has a small internal "penetrator".

M855A1 has the silver tip as the larger penetrator. Also has some other "unique" characteristics.

I wouldn't really call either armor piercing.

Just to clear things up.

I would balk at mk318 but IMO there are better rounds out there for less.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
In stock at PSA for $17.99 a box and free shipping if you buy 10...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/federal-5-56mm-mk318-mod-0.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Would like to get the projectiles in 1000 pc increments for handloading. Can't find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
M855 is green tip. It has a small internal "penetrator".

M855A1 has the silver tip as the larger penetrator. Also has some other "unique" characteristics.

I wouldn't really call either armor piercing.

Just to clear things up.

I would balk at mk318 but IMO there are better rounds out there for less.
View Quote

What ammo are you referring to and where available?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Did any of y'all buy any of the Win ZQ3314 when it was available?

Supposedly training ammo overrun stuff that was either Mk318 or similar.

I still have 8 or 10 boxes of it. Shoots fine as far as the couple of boxes I've tried. But it seems to be a bit of a mystery load. Very little info on it and mostly speculation.

It's always bugged me that there's so little info about the round. Is it a bonded bullet? Reports vary. About the only solid info is that it's a flat base bullet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did any of y'all buy any of the Win ZQ3314 when it was available?

Supposedly training ammo overrun stuff that was either Mk318 or similar.

I still have 8 or 10 boxes of it. Shoots fine as far as the couple of boxes I've tried. But it seems to be a bit of a mystery load. Very little info on it and mostly speculation.

It's always bugged me that there's so little info about the round. Is it a bonded bullet? Reports vary. About the only solid info is that it's a flat base bullet.
View Quote

Negative, it is a 62gr OTM rnd that, from what I've come to understand, is similar to mk318 (lead front, copper base, otm). Interestingly enough, its was designed to penetrate barriers as well, but not a bonded bullet.....someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Jparish,

I think that is FBI training ammo since their RA 556 service ammo is relatively expensive bonded 64 grain solid base (Nosler bullet).  

It is certainly not barrier blind.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, zq3314 is the FBI training rnd. I read somewhere at one point that they chose it because of the poa/poi similarity to the 64gr bonded ammo they use (as you stated). That same read also said it would perform on glass as well. It does however have a similar construction to the 318. Again, this was something I read a little while back.....wish I could recall where it was.

I specifically remember the glass, but I cannot recall what it said about other barriers. May have been that it could penetrate but not well.....
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I dont think it has a solid base, just a cup and draw jacket that is not bonded.

If in doubt catch an expanded bullet inside one or two five gallon buckets filled with water and you will see how it is constructed or cut one in two with a hack saw.

POI can be adjusted without using a solid base which ads alot of cost (and copper) to the bullet.  A solid base is made by impact extrusion or milling on a CNC machine.  I would be very surprised if practice ammo would not be made that way.  

I reload the Nosler, its a great bullet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I stand corrected, you are right. No solid base, just lead filled OT round....
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/550918__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Winchester_ZQ3314_Open_Tip_62_grain_FBI_Training_Ammo_.html&page=3

.....now I really want to find that article
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are looking for 556 62 grain plinking ammo, Remington has a 62 grain OTM that is flat base like the fbi practice ammo.  I have not seen it chronographed or checked for accuracy but it is often available fairly cheap compared to other HP ammo.  
Use an ammo engine to search for deals on both.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top