Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2008 2:41:38 PM EDT
Finally had a chance to hit the range today with Wolf's new 75 grain steel case load.

People have wanted to know about the accuracy of this load, so my interest was simply to check group size. I have already chrono'd this load and posted elsewhere.
Rifle used for testing was a Les Baer Ultimate NRA Match with a 24 inch stainless
steel match barrel with a 1-8 inch twist. It was topped with a 36x Weaver T-36 Benchrest scope and fired from a benchrest with a rear bag at 100 yards.
Six consecutive 10-shot groups were fired.
Groups included the hand chambered first round.

Average group size was a respectable 2.1 inches
Average of the tightest 5 rounds out of each group was .85 inch

Reliability was 100% with no problems.

A full detailed report will be posted in an article on
www.tacticalgunfan.com
in a few days
but you heard about it here first...

regarding accuracy, it looks to be excellent training ammunition, for which it was designed for. I feel group size could be cut by .5 to .75 MOA simply by sorting loaded rounds by weight. This is a very old school method which works. When I get the chance I will sort some by weight and shoot some more 10 shot groups and see how much of an improvement this makes. But out of the box accuracy appears to be good, remember 2 MOA is only 12 inches at 600 yards....

Link Posted: 7/3/2008 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like this load will become my standard training load for all rifles zeroed to shoot 75 gr OTM.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait to find some up here....
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!...I wish that I had your luck...

I ran somewhere in the neighborhood of 360 rounds through my LaRue 16" SS in one session (yesterday, post in Ammo section, Molon thread)...I had 12 FTE due to the rims ripped off.   This gun had over 4K rounds of Wolf, Silver Bear and my reloads...with out one issue.  I mirrored Molon in his issue with FTE.

So I will try this ammo again in my chromed lined 16" N4 and see how things go...to make sure that it was not just the LaRue...

Great ammo though...I have gone through 500 rounds...and they all went bang...I really like full power rounds...
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've also had good results with this ammo.  I like it very much and hope to acquire another couple cases soon.

My results HERE>
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
GREAT info. It's good to see someone using quality equipment and also with a high powered scope to weed out as much human error when benchrest testing this ammo to find its intrinsic accuracy.

Keep it up and can't wait to see the detailed report.

I'd like to see how accuracy can be improved even further by the loaded rounds sorting method. Do you simply just weigh a batch of them and sort them all by the same exact weight?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the scale have to be .1 gram or .01 gram precise to do ammo sorting.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone frag tested it yet?
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I thinks it made more for practice than protection

it has a steel gliding jacket

it may or may not frag

I rather have 75gr TAP or BH 75gr
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a jack rabbit or two out in the hills east of town.  I'll take along some of this ammo and, if I can, I'll report on how it expands on varmints.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran about 90 rounds of the Wolf 75 gr through my 14.5 inch LMT on Sunday.  I was using an Aimpoint Comp M XD and firing sitting /elbows supported on a table.  I could keep 10 shot strings in a pieplate at 75 yds.  I did about the same with 92' Radway Green and some 80's M193.  Not much of a test (I not a great shot) but I was happy with the ammo.  No FT feed or fire or other malfunctions.  The only weird thing was the brass ( or steel as it were) kept ejecting toward me and hitting me in the head.    I am a lefty but have never had that happen before.  I would give the Wolf 75 thumbs up for training ammo.  I had problems from the same rifle short stroking and not picking up the next round when using Wolf black box 55 gr.  Thanks to all who put in the time to give us detailed info about this round.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top