Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2007 3:06:26 PM EDT
hi all i got a new toy my first ar and i want to get some rounds so i was looking at Wolf Ammunition but some guy at the gun shop said it was not good to shoot out of a ar something about the case i dont know i just want some cheap ammo to have fun with and not ruin my new gun any input
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Most guns like it, some guns don't. Clean and lube your gun properly and it should work fine. If not, try again after 500 rounds of brass cased ammo. Wolf is not accurate ammo for bench shooting, but is around $110 less per thousand than the cheapest new brass ammo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
but some guy at the gun shop said it was not good to shoot out of a ar

I bet he either had some brass cased ammo on hand to sell you for a pretty penny or could give you a quote about ordering some.

What kind of AR do you have?  Wolf runs fine in both my AR's (Colt 5.56mm barrels).
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf shoots fine out of both of my RRA ARs.  Factory new brass ammo is going for $365 - $450+ per 1000 rounds.  Wolf is going for $200 - $240 per 1000 rounds.  Wolf uses steel cases instead of brass but this shouldn't hurt your AR.  With the savings from a few cases you can by a 2nd AR as a backup.

BTW, Wolf Military Classic shoots tighter groups that Wolf Black Box out of my rifles.  Since both types are usually priced the same I try to only buy the Military Classic now.  YMMV.  Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the input guys and i got a s&w mp15
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
if you go to the equipment exchange of the website you can find some good US made ammo at decent prices.  Wolf is truely bottom of the barrel.  Your dealer didn't make that up.  Now how bad the bottom of the barrel is, is a subject folks debate.  I only use wolf in my SKS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most guns like it, some guns don't. Clean and lube your gun properly and it should work fine. If not, try again after 500 rounds of brass cased ammo. Wolf is not accurate ammo for bench shooting, but is around $110 less per thousand than the cheapest new brass ammo.

It holds a 1 1/4 in 100yd group out of my Ruger 77 MkII
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a bit of FTF with black box and camo box Wolf on my S&W M&P 15T as it has a nice competition trigger and cured it by shooting Wolf only in my Armalites with the standard trigger with heavier hammer spring
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if you go to the equipment exchange of the website you can find some good US made ammo at decent prices.

Decent prices?  Do you mean decent for late 2007?  

What I want to know is where is the feature in arfcom that alerts you to that brand new juicy ammo posting over in EE?  Man this week there have been a couple "decent" prices on very good ammo and, as usual, somebody beat me to it.  I try to check EE 2-3 times per day but it's a numbers game.  Just like most things, you gotta be at the right place at the right time.

I guess that's why I shoot a lot of Wolf.  I can just check a couple of websites for the best price, place an order and it's on my front porch within a week.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I WOULD NEVER OWN A AR15 THAT COULDNT FIRE WOLF
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The poly coated stuff is better to use than the lacquer coated stuff as the lacquer can transfer to the chamber as it gets hotter and hotter. But so long as you clean your gun properly you shouldn't have any issues.

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#13]
As long as its not a CMMG, its fine to run Wolf.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As long as its not a CMMG, its fine to run Wolf.

Isn't it sad...
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#15]
If your gun wont run wolf, somethings wrong with it.

If the manufacturer you bought your AR from voids your warranty if you shoot wolf threw your gun....then its time to buy from a different company. I know cmmg does this, not sure if any others do or not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ditto
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If your gun wont run wolf, somethings wrong with it.

If the manufacturer you bought your AR from voids your warranty if you shoot wolf threw your gun....then its time to buy from a different company. I know cmmg does this, not sure if any others do or not.

+1 I even shoot it quite a bit in my Wilson Combat AR, so for damn sure the Bushmasters see plenty it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]

i was looking at Wolf Ammunition but some guy at the gun shop said it was not good to shoot out of a ar something about the case i dont know i just want some cheap ammo to have fun with and not ruin my new gun any input

IF it was an employee.....likely that he was trying to get you to spend more money.

IF it was a guy looking around at the shop.....likely he had a bad experience once (or twice)......or was a snob.

IF you want to try a box......why not?  Is WOLF, safe.....IMHO, YES.  Would I use it in my rifle......YES, if I couldn't find brass cased ammo at a comparable price.  And, YES, if I was looking for cheap ammo or just to see if it works in my rifle.

If it didn't work in my rifle......I'd move on.

Your mileage will differ w/ various ammo and loads.

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I've shot Wolf out of my AR, AK, 1911, and all my other guns with no issue EVER. This is great stuff for plinking and right now you can't beat their price.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The poly coated stuff is better to use than the lacquer coated stuff as the lacquer can transfer to the chamber as it gets hotter and hotter. But so long as you clean your gun properly you shouldn't have any issues.

I had that issue with the poly stuff. Occurred twice in two of my uppers, both Colt. I use it to plink but good luck with it if you're getting the gun hot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not even close to being impressed with the accuracy of wolf out of my only AR I will shoot it out of, but that won't stop me from using it for close, fast action drills.

I have 10 mags of it loaded up for the next time my nephews or friends come over to do some shooting.

Off hand, I doubt that I am good enough to notice the difference at close range anyway. Why not use this stuff for blowing off 300 to 500 rounds in an afternoon.

In my RRA Entry tactical, its accuracy is sad, but acceptable and it runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#23]
My Bushmaster eats Wolf like it's candy.
But I havn't shot Wolf in a while.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That information is completely wrong.

See here:  Wolf in an AR15

The lacquer or poly makes no difference.

Wolf is just fine for plinking.

+1

any GOOD AR15 should feed wolf
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top