AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/21/2006 12:33:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
ABOUT TIME!!!!!

Thus far I have fired about 300 rounds.  All went bang, just as expected.  Some in the lot I received had minor corrosion on the cases from storage, but nothing major.

My Chrony data:  Guatemalan 5.56 surplus (1997 lot 7)

Bushmaster 20" chrome lined barrel:
AVG: 3252

Bushmaster 16" M4
AVG: 3116

These speeds were consistent with M193 spec ammo.

When fired for accuracy - I only did a single 5 shot group, which held 3.8"@100yds.  Pretty bad.  I need to get out and test some more in different barrels, but my match barrel sure didnt like this stuff for grouping.  Fine by me.... I didnt buy it for target ammo.   It had no problem busting clay pigeons at 100yds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought close to 8000 rounds. Have shot about 500 so far. Absolutely no problems whatsoever with it. This was some of it with some minor corrosion, usually the size of a pencil eraser or smaller where the case was touching the paper box. All fed, fired, and ejected properly and was reasonably accurate to boot. All sounded the same and recoil was about the same as 193 would be.

All was shot out of a Colt 6920 carbine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not trying to trash this ammo but I actually had a problem with this stuff once.

I bought it about 3 years ago, way before tons of it was showing up on the market.

It was good looking and corrosion free but made my 16"Colt choke up quite a bit. After firing about 2 mags I got cycling failures almost every single round.

The headstamp was IMG 5.56 91

Perhaps my ammo was not stored properly. Guatemala is not the most ammo friendly environment.

Having said that I'm willing to give it a second chance, although I would only use it for practice and not storage/SHTF use.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot thousands of rounds, maybe 5K.  I bought 4 cases of the stuff a few years ago and have maybe 1 K left.  It's been my primary blasting ammo, give to friends ammo, give a few boxes to the guy next to me who ran out or is choking on ammo they brought ammo and so so forth.  Works every time but accuracy is maybe half that of IMI and other premium mil-specs.  I don't measure targets or anything but I notice the groups tighten up somewhat with federal 193 and more with Q3131A.  Perhaps go from roughly 6" to 4" to 3" at one hundred yards.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Shot 300 of 360 rnd battle pack, lote #4  '85. Bought years ago at pawn shop by freind, not the current stuff. All bright and shiny with no no corrosion at all. No problems out of 20" chrome lined. Hot and accurate. Would buy all I could afford if I knew it would all be this good. I'll watch this thread before deciding on any of the current stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 cases--first case was all tarnished (not corroded per se).  Second case was shiny.  I have been shooting the first case it all goes bang and is hot. (shot about 6-700rnds)  No problems.  Saving teh second case for now.  Not as accurate as WWB value packs from wal mart but pretty good nonetheless.  Would def. buy more if I had the cash--but I chose to buy a case of XM193 for storage--then I will shoot the shiny Guat
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought the 1440 case lot 3/90.   Shot two battle packs with now problems.  All the rounds look like brand new....guess i got lucky.  Accuaracy is about average out of my Colt m4 however my Ta01 is sighted in on LC m855 and this stuff shoots consistently lower.  Otherwise great plinking ammo....not nearly as dirty Wolf and for the extra few bucks well worth it.

Turk
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've run about 400 rounds through.  So far not one malfunction.  All fed and fires just as expected in my 16" M4gery.  Velocity was an average of 3095fps about 10 - 15fps slower than Q3131A runs in my rifle.   Point of impact is consistant with all my other M193 type ammo.  No pressure signs on the cases.

Good stuff.  I need more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I;ve fired about 500 rounds so far of the tarnished cartridges so far.  All have gone bang, absolutely no problems at all.

As far as accuracy goes, minute of FBI Q target at 25 & 50 yards is good enough for me.

Rifle specs

WOA A3 upper
Bushy M4  16 barrel
Wilson Combat Muzzle brake
Bushy BCG
RRA 9mm buffer
Wolf extra power action spring
Wolf extra power extractor spring
Bushy lower
WOA tuned RRA NM 2 stage trigger

Link Posted: 5/5/2006 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my case from aimsurplus.com today. 1st battlepack looks brand new. Lot #4 1990 hope it shoots as good as it looks..............Thanks

Always carry, Always ready

NRA Life Member

Link Posted: 5/5/2006 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Two cases so far, only 15 rounds that are lightly corroded.  One battlepack was tarnished/corroded, the other 7 were absolutely perfect.  Makes the recent Federal XM193 look like PD...or Olympic.
Excellent quality control, very few dings at all.

Lot 2-88 100% perfect.
Lot 8-92 75% perfect, 15 lightly corroded rounds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2006 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Split a battlepack between a rifle and carbine.  No problems.

Received another case today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a case sitting in ammo cans right now with another on the way.

My first case is head stamped 8-89 (can't remember which lot)Most of the brass is what I would call "dull" looking, no shine to it.  Two boxes had serious corrosion issues with 3 rounds being so bad that I chucked them.  The other 37 rounds were fired within the week and shoot 100%.  The without a chrono handy I can say that the blast is brisk and "feels" like m193 spec (as it should be)

Accuracy at 50 yards

10 shots in 100 seconds with EOTech scope, Bushmaster bbl, CMT upper and Armalite lower yielded a 2.2 inch group.  60 rounds resulted in a big ragged 3.5-4" hole.

I am satisfied with this ammo
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a 1440rd. case of it a few years ago at Knob Creek and have shot arouind 440 rounds of it so far.  My observations are....

Clean brass, good looking ammo, feeds well, so far so good.  I don't have a chronometer but the 3/90 dated stuff seems pretty hot.  HUGE fireball when fired thru my son's CAR-15 before we removed the brake and added an A2 f/h after the ban expired.  

More than accurate enough.  The only concern I have seen with this particular lot of ammo comes from my friend who reloaded some of the brass.  He says that the primer flash-hole is slightly undersized, and he ended up bending a couple of his decapping tools depriming the brass.

I'd have bought more but our rifles run Wolf without problems, so that's mostly what we buy here at Rancho Ironhand!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only concern I have seen with this particular lot of ammo comes from my friend who reloaded some of the brass.  He says that the primer flash-hole is slightly undersized, and he ended up bending a couple of his decapping tools depriming the brass.

My experience is that, the holes are small.  They are well centered, however, so I dont have any problems bending decaps.... but it does pull my decapping pin out of the stem a lot.  I am going to switch to a different kind of decapper for these suckers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a couple of battle packs Friday at gun show, lot #4, 84 headstamp. All so far have looked very good and shot well. Shot some today and had zero problems. As for accuracy, they all made charlie (aka coffee can) dance around @ 150ydsRifle is A2 20" config., Stag lower, M1S upper, no chrome
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Shot 500 + of the 93 headstamped stuff today, It was a little tarnished, and after pulling out some of the really corroaded ones ( about 20 or so) I threw the rest in the tumbler for about 45 min's of clean up...Avg Chrono was 3250  out of my 20" colt
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Shot several mags of my recent Guat purchase (see photos, initial report in the '99% perfect' thread).

Recap:  Stuff looks better than XM193.

Shoots as good in my RRA DEA Entry M4gery.  Zero problems, hiccups, etc.  Same point of zero on EOTech sight at 100 yards as Xm193.  Tight 4", 10-shot group at 100 yards - not bad considering I wasn't really that well supported at all (magazine base on wooden table and only my shoulder on the rear).  Earlier this week I got a ~2.5" 3-shot group at 100 with the EOTech w XM193, but the rifle was particularly well supported with sandbags at both ends and the wind was nil.

Bottom line:  I'm promoting the stuff to just below XM193 in my zombie-zapping hierarchy and will be ordering more as its available soon and as funds permit.

It's a bargain.

Er, make that crap.  You don't wanna buy this ammo.

Oh yeah.  Zaps Starlings dead too.  

John
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Good ammo,
Got a 1440 round box from AIM surplus. Fired about 300 rounds so far, zero problems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I have fired 360 rds. of this ammunition through my 14.5" no-chrome carbine with no problems whatsoever. My lotes #02-92 and #10 were visually flawless specimens. My groups are 3"- 4" at 100yds.

I'll make this short and sweet. It's good, hot ammo at lower cost than most all other commercial and mil. spec 5.56/.223 out there right now. AIM is a great vendor to buy from in bulk.
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Fired 240 Rds. today with no problems, will be buying more! Guns used (1) CMMG 16" upper on a DPMS carbine lower (2) 16" bushy.-Todd
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Fired a full battlepack Saturday(lot 8, 1988) with no problems.

The only problems (if any) were in that the entire battlepack was seriously corroded (pics in the Guat 5.56 thread) but they all went bang.

Link Posted: 5/22/2006 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#23]
1 battle pack lote:9
shot just like q3131
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I have fired one battlepack of this ammo, the lot from 1997. There have been no problems, outside of the usual tarnishing issues that came up when everyone first started buying this ammo. I do not have a chrono so I don't know the velocity, but it seems to be on par with other 5.56 loadings I have fired. Same with accuracy.

I plan on getting more of this ammo soon, before it's too late.
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Just put several hundred rounds of it thru carbine this weekend.
Ran great & hitting same point as XM193, didnt have to adjust Eotech at all.
No failures or jams of any kind, will be ordering more from AIM this week.
Link Posted: 5/23/2006 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe I reviewed this ammo a few years ago.  Here is the jist of my experience.  I still have some of this ammo left I believe.

Pros:

It is reliable and loaded hot.  It is also reasonably inexpensive, and the brass is reloadable if you use a narrow depriming pin and then drill out the flashhole to 5/64th of an inch.  Bullets are M193 spec I believe.

Cons:

It is not very accurate.  I was getting 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards.  Fine I guess for blasting.  The ammo has a pretty bright flash as well, which is noticeable in bright sunlight.

Bottom line opinion:

I am a reloader, and so I do reload the cases which saves money.  The first firing is fine and relatively inexpensive.  It isn't accurate, and that is a little frustrating when you are trying to hit small targets.  Now that I have a ton of brass, I'll probably stick to Wolf for plinking to save money.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it other than there may be better options out there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2006 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only concern I have seen with this particular lot of ammo comes from my friend who reloaded some of the brass.  He says that the primer flash-hole is slightly undersized, and he ended up bending a couple of his decapping tools depriming the brass.

My experience is that, the holes are small.  They are well centered, however, so I dont have any problems bending decaps.... but it does pull my decapping pin out of the stem a lot.  I am going to switch to a different kind of decapper for these suckers.

I spun a manual decapper in a drill and wore the pin size down to the point where it would slide through the flashhole.  Once the primer was out, I would drill out the flashhole to 5/64ths.

Great brass after that is done!
Link Posted: 5/23/2006 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spun a manual decapper in a drill and wore the pin size down to the point where it would slide through the flashhole.  Once the primer was out, I would drill out the flashhole to 5/64ths.

Great brass after that is done!

This Brass is awsome in bolt guns, Look back in history at the Benchrest guys who used to drill their own flash holes, SMALLER, I have witnessed the difference in groups between the smaller and larger flashole. I hoard small flashole brass for my .223 bolt gun.
That is all
Link Posted: 5/23/2006 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought 1440 rds of this stuff about, what, 2 years ago and didnt' have a single problem. I'm somewhat suprised with recent complaints of tarnished/corroded ammo, but I guess the stuff they are selling now is not as good as the stuff that came out initially?

The Guat ammo does have A LOT of flash.  The guys on the firing line were, like, "What the hell are you shooting?"  But, I guess having a post-ban barrel didn't help any.  Accuracy was so-so.  I used XM193 to sight in my upper and while this isnt' super accurate ammo the Guat shot noticeably larger groups.
Link Posted: 5/23/2006 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a case today from AIM, 97 lot 4.  Inspected every round and found 1 that is a bit tarnished but still smooth to the touch and will fire fine.  

All in all, the ammo looks a LOT better than the LC ammo I have been issued in the past.  

Hopefully I'll get to test it out soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I fired about 200 rds of 93 headstamped yesterday. I had zero problems accuracy was good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#33]
How long did it take AIM to get your order to your door?
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Ive bought a total of 4 crates. The last 3 I got last week were all good.  3 BP's in one of the cases has some minor orange tarnish/discoloration, its shoots fine and the stuff thats discolored is going thru the tumbler as I type this in batches of a 150-200. It comes out after about 30-40 minutes looking good.
Someone did make the comment that my rifle has a large flash BUT Im using a F2 comp now not a flash hider.
All of the ammo snobs are correct, dont buy anymore of this ammo. Please.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Shot 200 rounds today thru 6920. This was some of the spotted stuff, still shiny but had marks the size of a pea or smaller.

I'd buy a million rounds of this stuff if I had the money!!! Shot pretty well today, it was in the 90s and it grouped quite well using an Eotech until the shimmer got to bad.

All went bang all fed and extracted perfectly and none showed any overpressure problems.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Zhukov

How do I see the results of the poll without voting. I don't have any yet and don't want to skew the results.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Shot about 200 rds of Guat ammo (from AIM) everything seemed great.  Had one lose a spent primer which fell into the trigger group jamming up the trigger a bit.  Otherwise no problems.  Dated 1981.  Fired out of a RRA 16" 1/9 chrome lined build.
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got my 3rd case in today.  Lot 12 dated 1986.  Wow is this stuff perfect.  No bug droppings, battle packs tight except one opened for QC.  Ammo looks like it was polished and made yesterday.  No marks, spots, or haze anywhere.  Looks much better than any other .mil ammo I have ever seen.  Better than WWB.  My ADCOM is only cleaner because they polish off the annealing.

I may not even open these other battle packs and just keep them together
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I just ordered another case/crate.   I asked for '95 or newer if possible. Thats my fifth one.
Ill buy another one in July. Maybe two. My house is sagging.
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#41]
For me the older stuff is better.  My 1986 lot 12 is better than the 1990 stuff and the 1990 stuff was better than the 96 stuff!
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks FALARAK

I just bought 1 battle pack to test out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Another case from AIM arrived.

Lot 4, 1992

Ammo looks good.  Very little tarnishing.

Only thing was a TON of insect crap.  Out of the four battlepacks, only one was relatively untouched by the bugs.  That battlepack was the one that AIM cut open to check for QC too.    Anyhoo, I have not fired this ammo but I expect it to perform as the others.  Glad I did not get any more rusty ammo like lot 8, 1988.

Link Posted: 6/4/2006 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Is that bug droppings or powder??
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#45]
That does look like powder
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Is that bug droppings or powder??

I'm fairly sure those are bug droppings.  I anticipated a lot of it when I first opened the case because it was clear from feeling the battlepacks that the bugs had chewed up the cardboard boxes.  So I put down two t-shirts to catch the bug droppings ... threw away those t-shirts (which had been used for cleaning rags anyway) after I unpacked the ammo.

The telltale holes in the battlepack (you can see them at the bottom of the first photo) were also a dead giveaway that bugs had gotten into this particular lot.   You can also see in the first photo how the cardboard boxes are very chewed up ... bugs, no doubt.

There was a good amount of the bug droppings in the wooden case as well (which I threw away when I got the order).
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess those battle packs aren't really sealed
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like drywood termite droppings which will resemble ball type powder. They eat anything made of cellulose so they probably started in the wood of the crate and chewed their way in to the battle packs to eat the cardboard
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I just recieved a case today from AIM and they look perfect.  They are Lot# 4-91.  Im very happy with the condition.  Cant wait to go shooting.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I just picked up a case from a local dealer for $260 out the door. Not to bad, 18 cents a round. I was a little worried but this case is 100% perfect. It's lot 8-1991 in regular PVC battle packs. This ammo runs perfectly in my LMT 14 1/2", 1 in 7 barrel. The accuracy is outstanding. My first 10 shot group at 50 yards is the top center target. I was resighting my EOtech from the bench. Out of all the ammo I shot that day the Guat was the best. I love this stuff and will be getting more.

Wedge

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top