Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 12:15:26 PM EDT
What do you guys think.  Good stuff?  If so, whats the average price for them?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
dude,

You will be lucky to get a reply from someone with 5000 post +.

I learned one thing here, if your not a member you will be kicked to the curb 95% of the time.

And if you are a member with a low post count like yours you would have a 60% chance that a 5000+ poster would reply to your question.

Well back to cleaning:

1 AR
1 M1 carbine
1 Walther P22
1 Chipmunk 22
1 S&W 3914
1 Keyboard

Just for the record, I will join at 2000 post count.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that most people here avoid it. Check the ammo oracle:

www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

"Opinion: Sellier & Bellot has increasingly been causing "Kabooms" (kB!s)--causing rifles to explode because of weak casings and poor quality control.  You may wish to avoid this ammo."

Personally, I would even shoot Wolf over S&B in my AR's.

For ammo prices, check the ammo price list at the top of the ammo forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think that most people here avoid it. Check the ammo oracle:

www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

"Opinion: Sellier & Bellot has increasingly been causing "Kabooms" (kB!s)--causing rifles to explode because of weak casings and poor quality control.  You may wish to avoid this ammo."

Personally, I would even shoot Wolf over S&B in my AR's.

For ammo prices, check the ammo price list at the top of the ammo forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888

Your right, I remember when I first started posting, I was new to the AR and had a lot of questions I would post and hours and hours would go by before a reply, the answers would help and also educate me. Sometime I wondered if I was even welcomed. After all 95% of my AR knowledge was learned from this site.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
When you call SS109 Armor Piercing Ammo people tend to ignore you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Sellier and Bellot .223 / 5.56 SS109 NATO armor piercing ammo

SS109 is not "NATO armor piercing ammo" in any way, shape or form.  Period.  Its been legally defined as not being "NATO armor piercing ammo".

Your question is like asking "What do you think of the Chevy F250?".

Now, if you asked about the quality, accuracy, etc. of S&B SS109 without all that "NATO armor piercing ammo" crap, that would be another story.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SS109 is not "NATO armor piercing ammo" in any way, shape or form.  Period.  Its been legally defined as not being "NATO armor piercing ammo".

Now, if you asked about the quality, accuracy, etc. of S&B SS109 without all that "NATO armor piercing ammo" crap, that would be another story.

Im new to this whole scene and I haven't even finished building my first AR.  I figured I might as well look for good deals on ammo in the meantime.  I dont know much but I figure ammo such as what I was lookin at would get the most range as well as accuracy considering it seems like military style rounds.  As far as the terminology I used, I just cut and pasted the title of the auction for this ammo from gunbrokers.com.  I have no clue about anything.  Trying to learn as best I can.  What do you guys recommend for me? What's the best ammo as far as accuracy, yardage, as well as not damaging any of my parts?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
don't get hung up on the Nato ARmor peiercing hoopla, it is just that marketing.

true M995 Armor peircing stuff is not available to the public and illegal, so if anybody advertises such, they obviously don't know what they have or are doing.

If you are looking for some good military style ammo, look for M855 spec (that is the military specifications for the Penetrator round, not armor piercing, most get those confused they are as different as night and day) that.

SS109 is the projectile, just because they (who ever loads it) is using that bullet does not mean it is military specifications.

I would try to find some 55 gr FMJ for practice and plinking, it is available, cheaper and fun.

Read a bunch of threads here they have lots of info that will help answer most of your questions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Get your ammo here southernammo.com         It's milspec, but slightly tarnished.  $105/1000  plus $20 or so shipping.      It's the best deal out there.  (shh- don't tell anybody else)

BTW- I have some of that S&BSS109 and it shoots good, but is slighly dirty.  It has not KBed my AR's yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get your ammo here southernammo.com         It's milspec, but slightly tarnished.  $105/1000  plus $20 or so shipping.      It's the best deal out there.  (shh- don't tell anybody else)

BTW- I have some of that S&BSS109 and it shoots good, but is slighly dirty.  It has not KBed my AR's yet.

Thanks for the info.  What does the term "KBed" mean?  I assume it means something along the lines of "damaged"?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
KB = Kaboom.

Dont use military type ammo if one of your specific criteria is long range accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
KB = Kaboom.

Dont use military type ammo if one of your specific criteria is long range accuracy.

+1
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
dude,

You will be lucky to get a reply from someone with 5000 post +.

I learned one thing here, if your not a member you will be kicked to the curb 95% of the time.

And if you are a member with a low post count like yours you would have a 60% chance that a 5000+ poster would reply to your question.

Well back to cleaning:

1 AR
1 M1 carbine
1 Walther P22
1 Chipmunk 22
1 S&W 3914
1 Keyboard

Just for the record, I will join at 2000 post count.

having a high post count doesn't mean dick. . .

i see dudes on here with thousands of posts, yet they still don't have control of the English language or proper grammar - let alone a knowledge of firearms. Having alot of posts here suggests to me you spend more time playing on the 'puter than do you do shooting at the range.

My membership excuse is i'm not presently working and am short on $$

Regarding S&B ammunition, i've had nothing but positive results from having shot thousands of  rounds from various calibers by them.
I reload for the 7.62X54R using S&B brass and it seems as strong as Win or Rem brass casings to me.

i say go for it
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have shot some of the .223 ammo that came in light green boxes - It's been a while. It functioned well in AR15.  

But in M16's, the primers kinda popped out.  so stop shooting that in M16. The ammo was good, no problems and no issues in AR15.  Heard the brass was soft but I rever re-loaded .223 so it was okay.

There steel case ammo was not bad either but I only bought one case of it., while back.  It worked just as well as steel cased wolf at the time.

I have shot their 9mm, .40 , 7.62 *25 and .45 - It is okay, no problems.

You have come to a great site to get feedback and answers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
What are the specs of the AR you are putting together?

Welcome to the site BTW
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Welcome to the site BTWhr

Thank you...  Its basicly going to be a RRA Pro-Series Elite but with a colt pre-ban lower because I am from NY.  Got my complete lower reciever in the other day, now just waitin on my RRA order which should about 2 more weeks.  Still trying to figure out what scope to get.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had any problems with S&B ammo in any caliber.

There are MANY places to get good ammo just search around. Yahoo.com works for me.

For PLINKIN' I use Wolf ammo, I save the "Good" stuff for SHTF type situations/stockpiling-

Welcome to ArfCom
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I too have had good experiences with S&B-but I've only used fairly recently made stuff.  If their product matches SS109 standards then two things are true: first, it is NOT ARMOR PIERCING; it "defeats a standard NATO helmet at 600 meters," and second, it should work fine in any firearm in good condition that handles 5.56mm NATO rounds.

Post count truly means "dick."  But a very low post count and a poorly worded post usually add up to not a lot of high quality discussion.  Lurking is a good thing because you get to learn how things go in a particular forum, and probably actually learn something along the way.  High post counts are less meaningful than a lot of people (often with high post counts) think, but at least these numbers show that the particular poster has some experience on that forum.  Good or bad is another question.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Ducati996s welcome to ARFcom. You will find a lot of good people here and a few real assholes. So don't let the few ass holes scare you off. We need all the pro gun folks we can get and you have come to the right place. Press on and you will be accepted like family.

Now about S&B ammo I don't know much the few times I have shot it, it went bang. But I have also shot a bunch of crappy wolf out both a Krinkov and my 16" AR. And I have hit targets off hand with wolf before the guys with the $1500 dollar ARs shooting high quality ammo could. My suggestion is buy the cheapest ammo you can find and shoot lots of it, and get a good light weight carbine to shoot it through.

Practicing lots will make you a better shooter. Having the best tools are only as good as the craftsman using them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to the site BTW

Thank you...  Its basicly going to be a RRA Pro-Series Elite but with a colt pre-ban lower because I am from NY.  Got my complete lower reciever in the other day, now just waitin on my RRA order which should about 2 more weeks.  Still trying to figure out what scope to get.

What kind of barrel.  NATO chamber 1:9"?

The question about what is the best ammo to run through your AR gets asked about 2X a week.  You are going to have to figure that out by buying various boxes and seeing for yourself.  My favorite ammo is the Georgia Arms Canned Heat, but I also shoot the Walmart White Box 55gr FMJ, Wolf Steel cased FMJ, Winchester Q3131, Blackhills, M193 milsurp and Radway Green M855.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im new to this whole scene and I haven't even finished building my first AR.  I figured I might as well look for good deals on ammo in the meantime.  I dont know much but I figure ammo such as what I was lookin at would get the most range as well as accuracy considering it seems like military style rounds.  As far as the terminology I used, I just cut and pasted the title of the auction for this ammo from gunbrokers.com.  I have no clue about anything.  Trying to learn as best I can.  What do you guys recommend for me? What's the best ammo as far as accuracy, yardage, as well as not damaging any of my parts?

Ducati996s, here is a word of advice, some of the sellers from "gunbrokers.com" DO NOT know what they are talking about!! I have seen many a times here a newie like you post a question about something that they saw on "gunbrokers.com", where the seller(s) DID NOT know what they were talking about at all. So if it is too good to be true, then it is probably NOT true. This is just my 0.02.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
M855/SS109 may not be technically defined as "armor piercing", but im my testing, it penetrated several grades of steel plate better than standard 55grain M193... in a big way.

In several situations, both the 5.56 55 grain lead core, and the 7.62x39 lead core left pretty good dents in the steel, but the SS109 consistently punched right through, leaving a clean hole in the metal.  There is a significant penetration advantage of SS109 on steel plate.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]

The question about what is the best ammo to run through your AR gets asked about 2X a week.  You are going to have to figure that out by buying various boxes and seeing for yourself.  My favorite ammo is the Georgia Arms Canned Heat, but I also shoot the Walmart White Box 55gr FMJ, Wolf Steel cased FMJ, Winchester Q3131, Blackhills, M193 milsurp and Radway Green M855.

My barrel will be a 16" 1:9 twist chrome lined bore and NATO chamber.  Sounds like everyone has mixed opinions on this ammo.  I guess I am going to do a little bit more research before I buy some ammo.  After all, I don't even have my AR yet, lol.  As for how welcoming everyone is to a newbie such as myself, I am pleasantly surprised how kind and helpful most of these posts have been.  Yes, there was a few posts in the beginning of this thread that seem a little hostel but for most of you I give a big thumbs up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:36:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My barrel will be a 16" 1:9 twist chrome lined bore and NATO chamber.  Sounds like everyone has mixed opinions on this ammo.  I guess I am going to do a little bit more research before I buy some ammo.  After all, I don't even have my AR yet, lol.  As for how welcoming everyone is to a newbie such as myself, I am pleasantly surprised how kind and helpful most of these posts have been.  Yes, there was a few posts in the beginning of this thread that seem a little hostel but for most of you I give a big thumbs up.

Well if that is the case you should be good to go with all of the types of ammo I listed.  Some will be more accurate than others.  Part of the fun is finding out which works the best.  Happy shooting.  Post pics when you get your AR put together.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Ducati996s what part of NY are you in? Most guys with Ducks are from downstate so I'm curious.

S&B had a QA\QC problem a couple of years ago that made some people think twice about using their 5.56\.223 ammo. Most companies go through something like a bad lot or two and sites like this one manage to blow it completly out of proporton. One word of advice, do not shoot Wolf steel cased ammo through your new AR until it is broken in. New rifles need full power ammo for about the first 500 rounds to properly wear in and seat any of th enew parts you're using. After break in use whatever you want, is the cheapest, is the most accurate, floats your boat, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ducati996s what part of NY are you in? Most guys with Ducks are from downstate so I'm curious.

S&B had a QA\QC problem a couple of years ago that made some people think twice about using their 5.56\.223 ammo. Most companies go through something like a bad lot or two and sites like this one manage to blow it completly out of proporton. One word of advice, do not shoot Wolf steel cased ammo through your new AR until it is broken in. New rifles need full power ammo for about the first 500 rounds to properly wear in and seat any of th enew parts you're using. After break in use whatever you want, is the cheapest, is the most accurate, floats your boat, etc., etc.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Actually, SS190 has a similar bullet and is classified as AP. SS109 does not meet AP requirements due to the weight of the steel penetrator in relation to the core or something like that. I think the jacket weight is involved as well.

But in reality, SS190 is no more AP than SS109. Laws/regulations supersede logic and facts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I have shot S&B SS109 ammo since 2001 or so and have never had a problem. Back when I could get it that's all I would shoot, but I haven't seen it around in quite a while. I have about 250 rounds stashed that I am just holding on to. I have only shot about 100 rounds or so of the 55 FMJ ammo, but there were no problems there either.

The only negative thing about S&B I have heard that seems plausible is that the brass is too soft to reload, so I just throw it away and stick to reloading LC or Winchester brass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#30]
There is no doubt that Wolf is not hot by any standard, and someone on AR15.com did some chrono testing to prove it. Look it up if you like but enough with the BS shit. I've seen numerous new rifles short stroke on Wolf that functioned fine on SAAMI spec ammo. YMMV.

Quoted:
New rifles need full power ammo for about the first 500 rounds to properly wear in and seat any of th enew parts you're using. After break in use whatever you want, is the cheapest, is the most accurate, floats your boat, etc., etc.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There is no doubt that Wolf is not hot by any standard, and someone on AR15.com did some chrono testing to prove it. Look it up if you like but enough with the BS shit. I've seen numerous new rifles short stroke on Wolf that functioned fine on SAAMI spec ammo. YMMV.

As I said, it is underpowered but that shouldn't have any thing to do if the poster has 5 rounds, 250 or 1,000 rounds through his rifle.  To say he should shoot 500 rounds of other ammo to break the gun is BS.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to hijack but you didn't bring up Wolf or it's power level, I did. Saying short stroking dosen't happen or is BS is just ignorance on your part. I haven't had a whole host of malfunctions in any of my AR's but I know they exist without having to experience them. I should have clarified my statement by saying the SOME rifles don't run well on Wolf without some breaking in. I've seen it happen with my own eyes so if you want to make the blanket statement that it dosen't happen, feel free to do so but enough of the BS shit. 500 is a ball park figure, YMMV.

Quoted:

As I said, it is underpowered but that shouldn't have any thing to do if the poster has 5 rounds, 250 or 1,000 rounds through his rifle.  To say he should shoot 500 rounds of other ammo to break the gun is BS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Im from long island.  Not too many ducks around here.  Its duck season and it seems like im the only one out this year.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So the first 500 rounds I should put threw it should be full power rounds as in 62gr and up?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:08:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the first 500 rounds I should put threw it should be full power rounds as in 62gr and up?

Save your money.  Quality 62 M855 spec ammo is expensive.  If Wolf won't make you happy, buy the Georgia Arms Canned Heat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Welcome Ducati
Good luck with your first build.
Please overlook some of these guys that are jumping up and down about post counts and the wording of your question. A lot of the guys here with high post counts got there by being rude to new guys.
Again welcome aboard

Elvis
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Q3131, XM193, Federal red box, or any good commercial ammo will work. I would get a box or two of Wolf just to see if you rifle likes it. All my AR's run just fine on Wolf, so it's what I use for volume plinking. Some people's AR's just won't run on the stuff so I wouldn't run out and buy 1K worth of it before I was sure it ran without problems.

You should see some Ducks on LI, although you see many more in NYC. The Ear Inn on Spring Street has bike night on tuesday. All makes all models, lots O'Ducks.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#38]

You should see some Ducks on LI, although you see many more in NYC. The Ear Inn on Spring Street has bike night on tuesday. All makes all models, lots O'Ducks.

Thanks for the kind words Elvis...

Sgt_Gold:  Where about in NY are you?  Do you ride?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#39]
87 rounds of full power shot are needed to seat all the piston control modulators in the AR15 ryful!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm in Putnam county and ride an R1100RS.

Quoted:
Sgt_Gold:  Where about in NY are you?  Do you ride?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm in Putnam county and ride an R1100RS.

Nice.  I assume Putnam is up north from me?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I got this IM message from a user, but when I responded, it said he is not accepting IM messages.  Go figure.  I'm posting my response here in case he views this thread:

"In several situations, both the 5.56 55 grain lead core, and the 7.62x39 lead core left pretty good dents in the steel, but the SS109 consistently punched right through, leaving a clean hole in the metal. There is a significant penetration advantage of SS109 on steel plate."

Do you have any pics?  What range was the steel at?

Bert

I don't have pics because the steel I shot is somewhere in storage.  I conducted these tests about ten years ago at a friend's place in the country.  We did not do it at a range, because I doubt any range would allow shooting steel for fear of richet.  But we shot from about 25-50 yards with several calibers (don't try this at home, kids).  9mm barely made a dent.  5.56 55gr. and 7.62x39 made significant dents, but the SS109 punched through every time.  It was amazing.  I still have the piece of steel that I shot through, but it's somewhere in storage at my parents' house, and driving down there and locating it is not something I have time for right now.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not to hijack but you didn't bring up Wolf or it's power level, I did. Saying short stroking dosen't happen or is BS is just ignorance on your part. I haven't had a whole host of malfunctions in any of my AR's but I know they exist without having to experience them. I should have clarified my statement by saying the SOME rifles don't run well on Wolf without some breaking in. I've seen it happen with my own eyes so if you want to make the blanket statement that it dosen't happen, feel free to do so but enough of the BS shit. 500 is a ball park figure, YMMV.

Quoted:

Welcome Ducati996s!

My .02:

I always fire ~400 rounds of "military surplus" XM193, Q3131A, etc, through a new rifle or upper to break it in.  My method is to fire all ~400 in a single day, but not rapid fire (keep the gun from overheating).  Then I do a complete tear-down cleaning, lube, and reassemble.

By using "full power" ammo during this break in period, you are most likely to have proper function.

My goal in "breaking in" the rifle is three fold.  1) It polishes the chrome lining (http://www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=167&catid=100).  2) It wears in the many complex moving parts of the action.  3) It makes me feel happy and confident about my new rifle, providing a fun (if somewhat expensive) day at the range without the stress of worrying about accuracy, choosing the best load, etc.

I initially received this advice from a Bushmaster tech when I bought my first rifle.  I have used it on three rifles / uppers of my own and seen it work well it several rifles belonging to friends.

BTW, my ammo of choice for plinking/blasting is the PCA Spectrum polymer case.  It can be found very cheap, and I have had no real problems with it (after a good break in )
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top