Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:28:39 PM EDT
I am pretty new to AR's and I was wondering before I buy bulk ammo what is the "potential or real" costs of damages I could incur after shooting, lets say, 3000 rounds of:

XM193   = $726.00

Wolf        =        $369.00

Savings  =  $357.00

With the savings;
1)  couldn't I just replace the damaged parts with the money I saved by buying cheap?

2)  Wouldn't even shooting the better stuff parts would still need replacing?

What say Ya'll
Jim
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]

The only verifiable "damage" I have heard about from this forum concerning Wolf ammo was maybe wearing out your extractor. Oh and its a little dirty too.

After shooting about 3000rds of the new Wolf, I have only noticed minimal wear on my extractor.  I will update further after I shoot the other 5000rds I have left.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
For plinking or everyday playing around I think Wolf is a no brainer. It has its purpose as well as M193! The money you save on Wolf for plinking can be spent on the good stuff to rat hole.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If I think wolf being bad Ammo to shoot, I would not shoot it.

Someone should shoot "bad" ammo out of anything.  But if I say it is Okay, Cheap Ammo made more reliable with  Polymer coating and it functions well in your firearm then shoot it by all means .  I would "save" my cash for the rainy day or in case you break something using it.  I am in the class of "quite" a lot of people who still have to replace something that has been damaged by a direct cause of shooting Wolf ammo.

"Wolverines!"

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
"With the savings;
1) couldn't I just replace the damaged parts with the money I saved by buying cheap?

2) Wouldn't even shooting the better stuff parts would still need replacing?"

1, if something broke,  it wasn't because of the Wolf.  (12K+ rounds on an extractor, still works great.)
2, Stuff in your lower would wear the same no matter what you're shooting or dry firing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Use good ammo for sighting in.

Use wolf for everthing else.

Stockpile Q3131A and XM193 .
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am pretty new to AR's and I was wondering before I buy bulk ammo what is the "potential or real" costs of damages I could incur after shooting, lets say, 3000 rounds of:

XM193   = $726.00 *** You'll be out/damaged approx $480 compared to loading duplicate yourself using free brass and surplus components - WC-844 @ $72/8lb, M193 bullet @ $29/1000, primer at $18/1000

Wolf        =        $369.00 *** You'll be out/damaged about $129

Savings  =  $357.00

With the savings;
1)  couldn't I just replace the damaged parts with the money I saved by buying cheap?
What you think you going to damage? If you break an extractor. thats $10 maybe..

I do not know, my 1 upper is 1990 vintage, aint broke anything yet...  Broke the gas tube on my 7.5", cracked in 1/2 at the gas port and blew back, dumping the gas port blast into my face (that smarts), and upper became a single shot.
What say Ya'll
Jim

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

XM193   = $726.00 *** You'll be out/damaged approx $480 compared to loading duplicate yourself using free brass and surplus components - WC-844 @ $72/8lb, M193 bullet @ $29/1000, primer at $18/1000

Wolf        =        $369.00 *** You'll be out/damaged about $129

Savings  =  $357.00

With the savings;
What you think you going to damage? If you break an extractor. thats $10 maybe..

I do not know, my 1 upper is 1990 vintage, aint broke anything yet...  Broke the gas tube on my 7.5", cracked in 1/2 at the gas port and blew back, dumping the gas port blast into my face (that smarts), and upper became a single shot.
What say Ya'll
Jim

Pretty interesting, I never considered reloading due to the up front costs but maybe I need to start looking into it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot the Wolf, take the savings and add a few $$, and get a 550 DILLON and misc as needed to suit your needs..  Gather up all the free empty yellow once fire cases everybody leave laying, and run with it.

Beside all the what my time worth, and other hoopala,  at least you have full control over the ammo production, such as seeing the powder dispenser go empty, primers, setting powder charge, watching powder in cases,  your chances for "BUM" ammo is next to none.   Now how about that factory ammo? Who is watching the powder dispenser out on the shop floor, watching for powder spilling out of case and getting a bullet stuffed on top of that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
i have never had any problems with wolf but the xm is much cleaner though and doesnt smell as bad
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Why all the drama?  Shoot whatever the hell you like or can afford.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#12]
SBR7_11 is spot on IMO.

Sure, when I first got into the game I was a LC and Q3131A whore! I'd buy that crap wherever I could find it to my wife's dismay.

I always shot pretty good and this stuff (LC and Q)was giving me a good 3" pattern at 100 yds which just sucks.

Yesterday I posted my new load data and results ans with pulled components (tips and powder) I got a much improved 1" pattern at 100yds.

You just cant beat it no matter  how you look at it for price and accuracy.

Save your sheckles jump to the Dillon 550 and never look back.

I guarantee that when you start reloading, your loads will be more accurate than anythig available on the commercial market... especially if you use good/better components.

All reloaders will support me on this being that you can design the round that works best in YOUR rifle, no 2 are exacty the same I don't care what they are.

I'm going to hit the 550 right NOW! with my 24.1gns of "H335" and my pulled 55gn FMJBT's!!

Here's the link to my load results.. scroll down for pic.. NO BS!

These are real results, no lies. The other holes are from .22LR plinking... shouldn't have done  it as it MAY make you think I'm making it up..on my honor these are accurate results at a real 100yds if not longer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Not Bad gilfrd. I will start looking into it once I get a real JOB, hopefully that will be in May

and FNC80 the reason for the drama is I dont want to screw up my one and only rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
We are in the same ocean if not the same boat.

I'm completely jobless now after over 7 years of service at MindSpring which got assimilated into Earthlink a few years ago.

Resistance was futile.

At least you got something coming in, count yourself smart. Heck, you must be smart if you are getting into reloading!

If you need any help at all, IM me if you want. I'd be happy to answer all your questions if I can. I also smelt and cast my own .45ACP so if you need anything there, I can try to help.

Don't think you would be bothering me, I got nothing but time.....

eta: Well hell bitchboy, where you at? I'm in the Decatur area and you could come by and check out reloading and casting. I'm always doing one or the other.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
In a years time I put 10000 rounds of steel cased ammo through my Bushmaster. The extractor broke. With the money I saved I bought an extractor and a new rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why all the drama?  Shoot whatever the hell you like or can afford.

w00t! +1
10.7k of Wolf fired here and no issues to report!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top