User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Then why are people so worried about full auto guns?  It obviously didn't do them any good.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually did read it, isn't that the one where a LEO tells how hes witnessed peoples arms blown off by birdshot?  Scary stuff, and thats why I said I choose a shotgun for close range work.  If I could have a Mac 11 I would take it, but until then the shotgun should suffice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My view on shotguns is: for home defense, birdshot for the first shot will stop any sane person not on drugs.  #1 Buck to the face and arms after that.

For urban combat, slugs and/or 00 or 000 buck.

Obviously not everyone hit in the arm with a shotgun will have their limbs drop off, all I'm saying is that the shotgun works, and has been proven to work.  Even pellets as small as #1 buck will penetrate 12 inches, so somebody wearing clothing at a distance of 10-20 yards is going down, because their vitals are probably only 6 inches back.  And slugs....  Well you don't want to get hit in the trunk with a Brenneke slug.  hat

I have an unrelated question.  If the 6.8 does come into production, and it can fragment like the 5.56 out to ranges of say 300 yards or so, what next?  We have already basically perfected the long range rifle, and if something like I mentioned above really does what it does, then I can only speculate that the nature of combat will change, or energy weapons or similar will come into being.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Troll?  What I said about shotguns was fact.  Troy mentioned they were contact or very close wounds, but it's true.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The 10 inch upper has it's reasons. One handed deployment is much easier with a 10 inch barrel. Spend the day with your off hand on your buddy's shoulder while stacked balls to ass doing dynamic entries and you will appreciate the lower weight and better balance of the 10 inch upper.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#12]
"The primary wounding mechanism for .223 and 5.56 ammunition is fragmentation. The primary factor in fragmentation is velocity. The primary velocity booster is barrel length. 11.5" barrels barely bring milspec (NATO) 55 grain FMJ to 2700 fps (the critical fragmentation threshold for many FMJ .223 rounds). Accordingly, any distance at all drops the rounds below fragmentation velocity. 10" barrels are unlikely to ever get rounds above fragmentation velocity at all."

I am slightly confused over the 11.5 inch barrel.  The Ammo Oracle states in one of the charts that M193 retains 2700 fps out to 40-45 meters.  IIRC you did some testing and found fragmentation at even lower velocites.  Even if I am wrong about fragmentation at lower velocities, wouldn't the 11.5 and M193 be effective for CQB, and in fact for engagements out to 50 yards?
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My view on shotguns is: for home defense, birdshot for the first shot will stop any sane person not on drugs.

If you are going to deploy lethal force, deploy lethal force.  Period.  If you fire you're already on the hook for lethal force, you better kill what you're shooting at.

#1 Buck to the face and arms after that.

And if you're going to use 7.62 or #00 buck you better know whats behind the wall you're looking at as well as outside and in the next house over.  God forbid you use slugs.  Ugh.quote]

I said birdshot specifically because it wouldn't penetrate walls, but it would probably stop an attacker.  I said 7.62 for long range work.  I said #00 Buck for urban combat, not home defense.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#14]
tatjana,

I did not mean to start a pissing match here.  I was just trying to offer what I thought would make that part of the oracle more proffessional.  I have read enough of your stuff on terminal ballistics to know it is accurate and you are much more knowledgable than me on the subject.

I believe the 11.5" gun with proper ammo offers excellent terminal ballistics for the ranges I will likely encounter, about 100 yards and in.  Not that I couldn't still engage beyond that I just know my terminal performance will drop off.  

Terminal performance is quantifiable and not the debate here for me.

What got me started is that you are questioning, very condescendingly, mine and other intelligent policeman's perceived need for this shorter gun.  This gets into technique and tactics and I refuse to get into a pissing match here about either.  We might as well start debating religion and politics.  

I have tried to find fragmentation thresholds here for the listed rounds out of an 11.5" gun but am unable.  Can anyone point me there?

Link Posted: 12/11/2004 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a theory, but you could compare velocities between your gun and the longer barreled guns with two types of ammo, one light and one heavy, and find out what kind of range your looking at.

Edit: Wow!!!  Holy Moley!!!  Someone with actual field experience agrees that a more compact weapon, even if it has less power, is better than a 3 foot long firestick for house clearing!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Taking advantage of the lull in activity.  Not interested in butting in but I'm trying to learn and the Oracle is a wonderful tool.

I think many of us have a single specific set of general conditions (civ home defense) and am therefore not focusing upon all the potentials associated with 12 or 15 different guns just sitting there, ready to go, each loaded with the perfect ammo for any and all situations. <ETA - Therefore, the current discussion is not of primary interest to me so don't allow me to interrupt but...>

Indeed, keeping the Oracle updated may have already saved lives, perhaps me or mine too someday.  Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Every month or so someone with under 50 posts comes in sure that they 11.5" or 10" barrel is just the ticket. [...] They think this for reasons that are beyond any common sense.  We can't figure out where this comes from.  Hollywood?  It certainly isn't from field experience.

Not to give you additional headache, but doesn't Wes sell A LOT of 10.5" SBRs
to contractors in Iraq? Are there special circumstances- like working in cars a lot-
there which makes it more logical to take a SBR? On the other side, Marines seem
to be glad to have optics because of the high probability for longer shots.  

Btw, thanks for the Oracle! Its as valuable as the one in the MATRIX!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 3:52:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Distance to 2700 fps

.................... 20" Barrel ..........16" Barrel ..........14.5" Barrel..........11.5" Barrel

.M193..........190-200m ..........140-150m...........95-100m..............40-45m

.    M855...........140-150m...........90-95m...............45-50m...............12-15m
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Tatjana,

First off please do not lump me in with CobrayCommando.

Yes I am a "newbie" here, but not everywhere.  By asking for fragmentation thresholds for the 11.5" gun, I was asking for where they are located here.  I am not ignorant of what they are, I was simply trying to find where you have them located on this forum since you said they were.  

Correct me if I am wrong but the average frag threshold for the Hornady 75gr TAP and the MK262 Mod1 is roughly 100 yards from an 11.5" gun.

When I said that the terminal ballisitcs was not the argument for me I meant is that terminal performance of a particular round out of a particular length barrel is not debateable, it is factual.  How you apply that information in weapon selection is opinion.

You wrote:

"My problem is with your, and other's, assumptions. You want 11.5" for 100 yard engagements. That's just folly. Sure, it MAY work for you, but why risk it? Hell, if you're going in that direction then why not use snub nose revolvers to reach out to 100 yards? I'm sure there's a firm that will sell you a bullet they PROMISE will finish the job at that range."

If I wanted it primarily for 100 yard engagements I would not select an 11.5" gun.  I want it for searching structures, i.e. small houses, that are routinely very cramped.  I do this regularly, do you?  

You wrote:

"I've run multiple CQB and dynamic entry courses involving vehicle deployment and house clearing with by beloved (and now stolen) 16" HBAR carbine. I placed second in the most recent class above, among others, 3 FBI HRT students with 14.5"ers. (I lost out to a Marine). Not only is it doable but its doable by a 105 pound GIRL. If you are having problems using a 14.5" or 16" carbine in close quarters than the issue is training, not equipment."

Congratulations.  You may very well have sound tactics but this does not prove it.

You are obviously offended.  I apologize.  I am certainly not questioning your terminal ballistics knowledge or information.  I am not questioning your tactical skill or knowledge either, I don't know you.  You seem perfectly willing to question mine however, I guess based on the fact that I select an 11.5" AR for police SWAT work.  I'll just say thanks for all you work here with terminal ballistics.  I know it is a thankless job.  I am being sincere when I say I do appreciate it.  You are spot on with you comments on .223 round selection by a lot of police departments.  It is frustrating.

Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What got me started is that you are questioning, very condescendingly, mine and other intelligent policeman's perceived need for this shorter gun.  This gets into technique and tactics and I refuse to get into a pissing match here about either.  We might as well start debating religion and politics.  

And there is your #1 problem with MOST LEO's ; donn't question them. Listen to this "girl" cause any true intelligent thought process follows her line. COP Land  is filled with little boys and their little toys. This post is here to let you know there is an update; take it or leave it. YES size does matter guys so there is no need to talk up your small packages. Fear the wrath of a woman! and just say yes dear........
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]
See we dislike constantly repeating ourselves.  Every month or so someone with under 50 posts comes in sure that they 11.5" or 10" barrel is just the ticket.  Certain that shotguns with birdshot are going to do the job.  

Apparently you don't care who is behind the wall.  I said birdshot because it will not penetrate walls and hit gaslines, and it will 100% distract the guy your shot if he is crazy enough to stay up, for you to pump a more lethal round into him

Who are these people?  They are convinced that a 10" barrel is REQUIRED for CQB.  (But then the same poster points out that Garands seemed to work for CQB in WWII).  

I never said required, I said preferred.  You pointed out that marines were using longer barreled arms every day in Iraq, and I pointed out to you that in the past US troops used Garands and bolt action rifles.

Then we hear that a shotgun with birdshot will blow off the arm of an attacker.  (But then the same poster says "but not always").

Wow I thought it was obvious that at 50 yards birdshot will not blow your arm off, it won't even cause permanent injury unless it hits your eyes at that range.

After that its that we should shoot for the arms and face with #00 buck when an attacker has armor.

Guess what?  I'm not the only one who doesn't have a soft armor piercing weapon for home defense.  What about all the people with .45s for home defense, what are they supposed to do, go out and get an AR15 so they don't have to aim for the face now?  Most soft body armor will stop 9mms too.

Then we are told that 7.62 will penetrate 75" of gel and therefore is a better round.  hich

When we present them with the facts, then we are told we are closed minded.  We tell them that terminal performance and short barrels are often mutually exclusive.  That shotguns with birdshot will NOT stop attackers, dag nabbit, but they reply that we just aren't seeing things clearly because they KNOW it to be so and we must be old curmudgeons for pointing out the "old way of doing things." (Read: the PROVEN way of doing things).

Since when did you become an old curmudgeon?  Bird shot for the first and sometimes second shot has been a tradition for many years, I believe it is called the "Dutch load" or some such.  Despite what you say, at 10 feet (home defense range) if someone gets hit with birdshot they are probably going to stop.

Wake up and smell the coffee, just because a 5.56 fragments reliably in gelatin, and you know the approx. velocities it fragments at, doesn't mean within the range your prescribing its going to fragment in combat.  People have been shot at 10 feet with it and their wounds have healed in about 10 days.  It didn't fragment in most Vietnamese because they were too skinny.  If you just look at footage shot in Iraq, it seems to me that the majority of these guys require 2-5 shots for them to stay down.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
have been shot at 10 feet with it and their wounds have healed in about 10 days.  It didn't fragment in most Vietnamese because they were too skinny.  If you just look at footage shot in Iraq, it seems to me that the majority of these guys require 2-5 shots for them to stay down.

Gaaaaaaa!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for that Oslow!  Excellent addition.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone here really believe that the 5.56 even out of a 20" barrel is better at under 20 yards than a shotgun?  If so, I would appreciate you telling me why, and I will just stop debating about this issue and buy an AR-15.

As for the insult above, are you referring to the comment I made about switching guns as range increases?  Yes, I could understand how that may seem ridiculous, but as I said, as a civilian I will not be chasing people from open ground into cities, and I am not limited to one gun like the military is.

Therefore, unless the 5.56 is better at close range than a shotgun, I will pick a shotgun for close range and a 7.62 NATO firearm for long range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#32]
If any of you have the special forces documentary from militaryphotos.net, go to time 13:20, is that a shotgun on his back?  The barrel looks huge, it may be some kind of giant 40mm grenade launcher, but ill be damned if it doesn't resemble a shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Considering it was a full size shotgun, no, you're wrong.  It was a full length shotgun, and they would just use masterkeys anyway.

"Although normally used as sporting weapons on the civilian market, these shotguns have a military application in situations which require a weapon with maximum stopping power at a limited range.  Such uses uses include jungle ambushes, house clearing in urban operations, clearing boarders in attack on ships, guard duty, prisoner supervision, local security and riot control.  A neat summary of their use is that they are "reloadable Claymore mines."

Illustrated Directory of Modern American Weapons, referring to the Mossberg 500 ATP, Remington 870, Winchester 1300 Marines and Joint Service Combat Shotgun.  Basically everything but the KAC Masterkey.

Are you saying that a special forces soldier and the military are wrong when they use shotguns for close combat rather than the 5.56?
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#36]
This is just getting beyond the pale.  Some people need to learn not to hijack threads.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top